May 2019 Moms

Favorite Names Thread

Re: Favorite Names Thread

• @Sketner610 I totally get it that you have to have a real-life relationship with her because of your husband, so you feel like you have to hold your tongue. If I was really in your position, and she brought up the name thing at the party, I would probably just say, "We haven't decided on a name yet and we're not planning to share it with anyone before the birth." This is actually one of the real reasons I don't tell people what I'm naming my kids before they're born (except you ladies, this time)- I don't want people offering unsolicited opinions or trying to change my mind. Of course, if you're someone who usually announces the name on social media before the birth, I guess my advice is not very useful. It seems like you are handling the situation well in any case.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    edited November 2018
    @Sketner610 I have all the feelings about that crazy lady and her crazy post but, like you, I probably wouldn't actually post anything (ETA: as a comment to her post). ALSO, it doesn't sound like she just put one name of each sex on there. Like...you can't claim all the names you MIGHT use (or any but seriously, that's extreme). I think cousins are the only ones who would "ruin" a name for me. Luckily, we have no idea what we want to name any of our children until really late in the game. And for anyoen who saw earlier, we were NOT going to choose Kaleo for a boy (or girl) so I feel like any future names my brother and SIL chose wouldn't be an issue and our classic names we tend to like won't be an issue for them  :D And my sister is 23 and I'm not sure she's spoken more than a dozen words to the male species in her life (those related to her and my DH aside).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • @misskimsue we wait until we know the sex then announce the name at 20 weeks. Until then we don’t tell anyone at all. But at that point the name will be set in stone for us regardless of what other people say. So that’s still good advice that I can use if she says something. 
  • We are on the other side of this. A lot of the family want to call our daughter Pippa for short but one of our best friend's daughter is called Pippa. The full name is different but it would just be the nickname. We feel really bad and are trying to find a way out of it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @misskimsue Family didn't like Poppy because it's too similar to Papi, my SIL's nickname.

Piper's being considered now too. It's an evolving story lol.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @missmcgonnagal Piper is adorable, too!
  • @Sketner610 the heck is wrong with people?!?! What a joke. Ignore her and do what you guys want to do!! I have so many words for that woman and I dont even know her... 🤬
  • What about the name Aylee Mackenzie? The real name is Eilidh, I found it on a Scottish name list (DH heritage is Scottish) but I wouldn't want her to go through life with a Gaelic spelling. I have a few reservations with it, but it's one of the few names we actually agree on! 
  • @sagems10 I think as long as your last name doesn't end in -ey or -ie it flows nicely and is really pretty. The same ending for all three names might be a bit much though. 
  • @sagems10 how do you pronounce Aylee? Is it like i-lee or a-lee?
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• lol, thanks everyone for supporting my hate of this woman! 😂
  • sagems10sagems10 member
    edited November 2018
    @eatinwatermelonseeds my last name ends in "son" so I do think it flows pretty well! 

@MelissaMay82 it would be A-lee
  • Now that we know it's a boy, DH vetoed Arthur and we have nothing. 
  • With DD, we let everyone know we were having a girl but said we were keeping the name quiet until she was born, which we did, even though a ton of people nagged us and complained. It's kind of nice that this time around, no one has even asked us about a name because they know we're going to be doing the same exact thing as last time.

The only person I gave a hint to was my best friend who is also having a girl in May. I told her our name started with a W (Winnie) and she was relieved that nothing on her list started with a W. Now that I think of it, not many female names do! She can probably make an easy guess but I'm okay with that; she's a good secret keeper.
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• @peachy13 a girl in my first BMB had a Willa. Super cute girl W name.  :)
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @DuchessOfCambridge I was telling my friend about that girl making a list and was like "my passive aggressive ass would just say I'm giving the baby all of the names on her list" 😂 great minds. 
  • mcewen3mcewen3 member
    edited November 2018
    mrskoz428 said:
    @sleepy33 girl. She also moved to the district with 8 weeks left of school. You know. 🤷🏽‍♀️ I have a long list of “cannot name my child this” because of students. 😂😂
    My mom worked for the school division for 38 years (teacher, assistant principal and principal positions).  While she has never been too vocal about names, I remember one time when DH and I went canoeing with her and a group of teachers from the school.  It was years before we had babies but for some reason the subject came up and all of a sudden all these teachers (mostly older teachers with 25-30+ years experience) started chiming in with all the names we couldn't name our future kids.  Weird spellings were an obvious one, but more than that they had specific, normal names that apparently are always notorious for being "trouble" 😆😆😆 So we left our canoe day with a detailed list of all the children who were notoriously bad in school and it was kind of funny because while some of the names I didn't know, most of them I did remember from my own childhood and they were always bad kids!!  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @Sketner610 If I could roll my eyes hard enough for "claiming names" via Facebook, I'd be able to see my brain.  Holy immaturity, Batman!  Also, if people "claimed names," we'd all have names like our usernames on this site.  That's ridiculous to even imagine.  

On our name front, I feel like we take a step forward and two steps back for boy names.  We just aren't on the same page at ALL.  The current list (in no particular order) is: Logan, Ethan, Sawyer, Brendan, Jonathan, Austin, Brady, Ashton, Wilder, Tucker, William, Beckett, Evan, Troy, Duncan (which my niece said evoked the thought of Dunkin Donuts...), and Theodore.  The middle name will be Daniel, a family name, and our last name also starts with D, if that matters.  DH will like a name then suddenly hate it.  Our original favorite was Brendan, but pairing it with our long last name gives me pause.   
    DD born PPROM preemie at 36 weeks on 10/1/17 after over a year TI, 
    then 3 failed IUIs, and finally a successful IVF FET.

Due with #2 5/2/19 after HIO once in my FW,
    because apparently that's how life works now. Team Blue!
  • edited November 2018
    @mrsdee15 we had Troy on our list with DS, but when I got pregnant this time my friend told her mom we were thinking of Troy and told her our last name and she just laughed and laughed. So, it's a no for us lol. Just because of our last name, not the name itself. 

Luke and Matthew are on our list. But I don't like Matt. So, I don't know. 
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds Oh noooo, I do really appreciate when people point out the issues with names though.  I loved Tanner as a first name, but I cannot tan to save my life and was teased through high school about it (kids are jerks), so I just kept thinking of this poor kid not hearing the end of it because of that.  I love the name Luke, it's so cute!  

• @mrsdee15 I definitely appreciate it, because no matter how obvious it is now, I just didn't see it before. I thought of Grace for a girl, but I'm super clumsy, DS is super clumsy and I fear it'd be a mean name to give someone who will probably walk into walls and trip up stairs a lot lol. Not relevant anymore but on my mind. Also our last name is a man's first name with an S so some names sound bad. Like Holden... Sounds like you're holding a bunch of men. Or most names with -er sound like his job title 😂 I don't know. Lol this is so hard. 
  • @mrsdee15 oh I just love Teddy as a nickname for Theodore. I don't know if you were planning on that but I think it's absolutely the cutest ever haha

• @keighty80 I’m responding to your don’s name choices here to keep the other board clean. I think Jackinthebeanstalk would be a perfect name! 😂 Beanstalk for short, of course!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds my niece is named Grayce, and she is super clumsy just like her mom lol

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• @DuchessOfCambridge Teddy is SO cute!  I love both Teddy and Theo.  Ted gives me a little pause, though, because...

(but I'm sure that won't be a big reference 10 years from now)

• @sleepy33 I mean, for a while it may be a valid way to introduce him.

• @mrsdee15  10/10 would introduce my baby that way  :D

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I need opinions. So, we really like using names from family members who are important to us for middle names. I have an uncle who has always been a father figure to me and he has a very Italian name, that was passed on from my grandfather and then down to my uncle's son. So far as I can tell, my cousin isn't having children (he's mid 30s, could happen at some point but hasn't yet). I want to ask my uncle if I could use his name (he only has a first name, no middle) as a middle name for our baby boy but I'm terrified. I think he'll say no, my mom swears he'll feel honored. But I just don't think so. It's not my name to use and I fear I'll be overstepping boundaries. 

We're considering Logan or Luke. Logan Saverio or Luke Saverio (Luke doesn't flow as well). I also considered, since my uncle actually goes by Sandy, using the middle name Zander for either as a variation. But it's one of those names you wouldn't know who it's honoring unless I explained it. 
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds I would ask if he would mind. I don’t think it’s a huge deal for a middle name. My dad actually has lost 3 siblings-1 uncle in particular that I was really close with- and my mom suggested I use his name for a middle name, but I feel like that would be completely disrespectful to my cousins in their early 20s. It’s their name to use. 

On on the other hand, I plan on using Robert as a middle name which is my grandfather, dad, and brothers first name who share a full name Robert Michael. My brother is mid30s and not married yet and I don’t feel bad about it bc my family reuses middle names all the time. Nothing will stop him from using it as a first name for his kid.
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds I don't really think it's a big deal in the middle name spot, but my family has tons of people with repeat middle names (and tons of repeat first names too... on my grandma's side, it was family tradition to name your kids after your siblings, so there have been some names where there is an aunt 0and niece with that name for several generations). Anyway, using it as a middle name definitely doesn't stop your cousin from naming his maybe-someday kid that in the first or middle name slot.
    kids with flags
  • Sketner610Sketner610 member
    edited November 2018
    @eatinwatermelonseeds you could always just use it and if he is upset say it’s after your grandfather and if he’s honored say you wanted to surprise him lol...Also I come from a family with ALOT of repeate middle names. We’re going with Elizabeth as a middle if it’s a girl and there are currently 4 Elizabeths and also we have 4 Pauls and 3 Anns. I’m sure there’s more I can’t think of. I feel like middle names aren’t a huge deal.  
  • I still haven't gotten the guts to call my uncle and ask him, but my mom did for me and she said he was thrilled. She said he and my aunt both said that would be great. So, we are either having a Luke Saverio or Logan Saverio. I know Logan Saverio flows better but I like Luke so much. And my husband vetoed Lucas Saverio 🙄
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds totally not crying... 😭 How sweet! <3
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker