May 2019 Moms

Favorite Names Thread

Re: Favorite Names Thread

• kvh22kvh22 member
    edited November 2018
    @chloe97 I'm not huge on family names, myself, so take this with a grain of salt. I don't like Noah Alfred and that's enough for me to nix it. I really like Noah Robert. We have 2 fewer generations but Robert is my brother's middle name and my uncle and grandfather's name. It literally just occurred to me that my brother's middle name is my Uncle Rob's name :D so I think that's NBD. My middle name is after my Nana whom I absolutely adore but I HATE my middle name. I'm sure it meant a lot to them but I'm the one living with it and I'm not a fan (literally no one is named this our age). I love my maiden name but I have a strained relationship with my dad and his side of the family - otherwise I would have loved to make my maiden name my middle. My cousin and brother both just named their sons with middle names after grandfathers and I hate how both of them sound (contemporary or even hippy name with a stodgy old man name). But that's just one girl's opinion.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• sleepy33 said:
    bumbly_b said:
    I really like Noah Robert  
    Seconded
    Thirded

• Loading the player...
  • sleepy33 said:
    bumbly_b said:
    I really like Noah Robert  
    Seconded
    Thirded
    Fourth..ed?
  • @kvh22 Thank you! That is a great perspective. You’re right-DS is the one who has to live with it. Robert is a classic name that is modern enough. I think it would mean a lot to my family. 
  • @chloe97 Oh good. After I wrote it I was worried it came off as harsh. My brother and cousin's kids were just born 8 and 9 weeks ago so it's very fresh and I've been thinking about this with my middle name lately.

• @chloe97 Another vote for Noah Robert. My dad’s name is Robert, and we’ve thought about using it for a middle name too if this baby is a boy. 
  • @Bash19 Ansel must be rising in popularity, cause a girl I went to HS with just announced it as her new son's name today!
    kids with flags
  • @kvh22 I feel like I need to hear these awful names. For science. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    edited November 2018
    @sleepy33 lol I originally had them in there but then thought it might be too much.

• OMG Kaleo. Like Kale and Paleo had a baby. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    edited November 2018
    @sleepy33 YES! I didn't even know how to pronounce it or for sure if I had a nephew or niece when I heard the name. I immediately went over to the FB group for my last BMB and asked what people thought, boy or girl. It's apparently pronounced ka-lay-oh. Would have been hilarious if it rhymed with paleo though. I was like "oh, Cal and Leo would be great nicknames" to DH.

• kvh22kvh22 member
    edited November 2018
    @sleepy33 we're pretty sure we're going to try to get DD to call him Leo

• Okay I need some name advice. I keep thinking of girl names I like and can’t decide on a favorite. Ideas? Or do I just work on narrowing my list and having a couple of names in mind if baby is a girl, and choosing after she’s born?

Names (so far) are:
    Heidi
    Caroline
    Adelaide
    Georgia
    Anne
    Stella

Middle name would be Kristina. DS is Rhett Wilder, baby will be Atticus if it’s another boy. We’re very into classic Southern names.
  • edited November 2018
    I personally feel like Stella Kristina, Georgia Kristina and Caroline Kristina don't have the best flow. Maybe it's too rhyme-y? Adelaide is a beautiful name! Heidi is super cute too. Just my two cents :) We waited to finalize DD's name until after she was here. You could always go in with a top 2.

ETA @ashleaf2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ashleaf2018 I love Heidi! 
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• @ashleaf2018 Love Southern names! I personally love Caroline (it’s our top girl name), but I’m not sure how I like it with Kristina. Adelaide is a really pretty name too! Stella Kristina would probably be my pick though. 🙂
  • @ashleaf2018 I really like Stella and Caroline. I like Anne (Annie) as well.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• @kvh22 Kaleo is certainly interesting. That poor kid is going to have to correct how people pronounce his name forever.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• @ashleaf2018 I like the name Stella but I am a little biased as that's DD2's name.  :)
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• So I'm slightly crazy and I know my husband is SUPER picky with names so I've created a running list for the past 6 months! Things get added or taken off as I change my mind/he vetoes it.  Hopefully we agree on one by the end lol we already have two boys, Braedon and Conlan so I've inadvertently started a pattern.... 

Alden
    Calvin
    Dawson
    Ethan
    Grayson
    Griffin
    Holden
    Jackson
    Keegan
    Kieran
    Kohen
    Lochlan
    Logan
    Mason
    Nolan
    Pierson
    Quentin
    Tiernan
    Weston

Aven
    Aislin
    Aylin
    Corrine
    Coraline
    Fallon
    Gracelyn
    Harlin
    Kiran
    Leighton
    Lucine
    Peyton
    Rowan
    Ryan
    Teagan

• I am so happy to say me and my husband were able to pick names without a hitch. We already knew that a boy would carry his first and last name but I didn't think he would let me pick the middle name. But he did, (he loves me) and then with the girl name, I was able to pick but he hated the middle name I picked (AVA) , so then I let him pick the middle name. I wanted the girl to have my initials, my name is Tameshia Alia, our 4 year old daughter name is Truth Amor. So if this baby is a girl, her name will be Trust Angel. And the boy name will be Basil True! since he will carry my husbands first and last, he will be a third, nick name Trey. So I win again, because if its a boy we will call him Trey, so "T" it is!! LOL
  • @Sarahbtek I said this somewhere up thread, but Alden is one of my favorites, but it doesn't work with other family names for us!

@truth_trust Truth is so cute to me. My grandmother was named Ruth, and Truth feels like a fresher version of that. Truth and Trust are really "matchy" but that works if that's what you're going for.
    kids with flags
  • @Sarahbtek Love Calvin and Logan, and Corrine and Teagan. :)
  • We are having the worst time with boy names. My husband and I do not agree and I don’t like popular names. My list: Silas, Theo, Sutton, Wilder. His list: Ivan, Issac
  • @Sarahbtek I love last names first for boys so I like your list! I think Dawson, Griffin, and Nolan are cute! My favs from your girl list are Corinne and Gracelyn.  
  • @ashleaf2018 I think your list is great! I love Heidi! I would just narrow as you go because you might change your mind on some or start to love certain ones more. 
  • @brie_and_almonds thanks! I remember when I first said I would name her truth, everyone hated it. Now everyone says how cute her name is. And yes I want all my kids names to match. So, Truth, Trust, And True for the first born boy's middle name
  • Would love some opinions here. My husband and I are trying to select baby names from family names, and one that we really loved was his great-grandfather's name, Aleksander. He went by Elek. However, our last name is Braddock. To me, Elek Braddock sounded really ... sharp and rhymey? But friends of ours love it.

Thoughts on it? I'm trying to decide if it's just me and Elek Braddock sounds fine to everyone else. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @missmcgonnagal Maddox Braddock I would feel too rhymey about; Elek Braddock does have the ending "k" sound, but that's not a deal-breaker for me (DD1's first name and our last name have the same ending sound), especially since the longer name, which will most commonly be used in full with the last name doesn't have the same end sound.
    kids with flags
  • Well, this is is where we are at (our last name starts with a K):

Girl:
    Beatrice Tennyson K.
    Tennyson Beatrice K.

Boy:
    Haakon Otis K.

Is there one that flows better for a girl? I’m a missing something funky for initials. I just don’t want initials that mean something bad like WTF or FUK or something. 😂😂
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @mrskoz428 How many syllables is your last name?

Also, this probably wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, because it's very unlikely to ever come up and I think initials are a nonissue, but there is a famous murderer called the "BTK Killer" for his m.o. which was bind, torture, kill. 
    kids with flags
  • @brie_and_almonds our last name is 3 syllables. If we do Beatrice for a first name, her nickname would be Bea (Bee). Tennyson’s nickname would be Tenny. I googled BTK and that didn’t show up, so that makes me sigh a bit of relief.

@missmcgonnagal I think Elek Braddock sounds just fine! :-) Plus, most of the time, when his name is called, it would be his full first name, which doesn’t give off a rhymey vibe at all! 
  • @Sarahbtek
    I love these boy names:
    Griffin
    Kieran
    Kohen
    Lochlan
    Weston

I love these girl names:
    Aislin
    Gracelyn 
    Leighton
    Lucine

You have an awesome list! DH and I really only agree on two names per gender! 😂😂
  • @missmcgonnagal I love Elek Braddock. I don't think it's too matchy at all. 

@mrskoz428 I like Beatrice Tennyson best but also thought of the BTK killer. 
  • I could only think of BK= Burger King.
  • @missmcgonnagal I really like Elek and think it's great with your last name. 

@mrskoz428 I also like Beatrice Tennyson. Love the nickname Bea and have never heard of the BTK killer. Though I'm gonna google it now. 
  • @RoseShadow873 DHs name is Brady so that one doesn’t bother me all that much since we stuck with it, too. 🤷🏽‍♀️😂 
  • @mrskoz428 I think either of your girl names works, and it really depends on the "vibe" you're going for.

Beatrice is sweet, feminine, and old-fashioned (and I love it, one of my faves, if every one of my siblings didn't have B-names I probably would have named one of my DDs this).

Tennyson is gender-neutral and a bit spunky. I imagine people at the doctor's office, etc. will assume she is a boy (DD1 is named Linden and was often assumed to be a boy until her hair got long), but she might have a resume-advantage as well. Also, I'm assuming you're fans of the poet, Alfred Lord Tennyson, and I imagine people will ask you that as well (although maybe that's not fair, because we're not Lyndon Johnson fans, yet that's most peoples' association when they hear DD's name).
    kids with flags