May 2017 Moms

Symptoms, symptoms, and more symptoms!

Re: Symptoms, symptoms, and more symptoms!

• My pregnancy induced carpal tunnel is the only thing driving me totally crazy. Some of my fingers feel like they are asleep 24/7, and my hands and wrists hurt so bad when I first get up. I've seen a chiropractor and acupuncturist. Both helped, but only giving birth will make this go away completely. @rebecca517-2 I feel your pain here. I will say that days after I have given myself deep wrist massage, I hurt less. The numbness hasn't gotten better. Thank you cards for baby gifts have been killing me. 

My ankles have started to swell this week. It's been weird to look down and feel like my ankles and feet don't belong to me. 

I've been having the occasional pains in the cervix area. I know this can go on for weeks, but at least it may mean I'm nearing the end days. 
  • @MollyandD  I really hope mine goes away with baby. I have tried everything and you're right, deep wrist massages do help. The morning is the worst for me. I just want use of my hands and wrists again!  and like @nda_roxybabe, I worry about dealing with this and a newborn. I hate that others are suffering with this too, but glad im not alone. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • @MollyandD  I really hope mine goes away with baby. I have tried everything and you're right, deep wrist massages do help. The morning is the worst for me. I just want use of my hands and wrists again!  and like @nda_roxybabe, I worry about dealing with this and a newborn. I hate that others are suffering with this too, but glad im not alone. :)
    From, what I understand, the Carpal Tunnel SHOULD go away after baby. I think I have something else though "Mommy thumb" that gets WORSE with BF-ing and baby. During the night and morning are worst for me too, it's awful. You don't realize how much you use even your non dominant hand when its not an option.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @nda_roxybabe I'm sorry you're going through that, it sounds awful! I hope chiro and/or PT can help!
  • @MollyandD and anyone else dealing with pregnancy induced carpal tunnel...I had it really bad with my first pregnancy. Unfortunately, it only
    got worse after I had the baby from how I held him when I was nursing. Hoping yours clears up!
  • Ugh it happened again...mid to upper back pain, difficult to breathe, stomach tightening, having to go to the bathroom...starting to stop now but still uncomfortable. Pretty sure he's high up in my ribs and feeling him move/kick/punch at the top of my stomach and a little to the side. It's gotta be just from where he's positioned because I don't have period like cramps and pretty sure there hasn't been any loss of fluids, no bleeding, and pretty sure my mucus plug is still intact. I really hope this doesn't happen every few days for the next 4.5 weeks...I may lose it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • kat81kat81 member
    I wonder if I also have a heightened sense of smell. Unfortunately DD has some sort of stomach bug and the vomit and poop smells have been hard on me. DH didn't really care/notice. He was like, "what is this in DD's bed?" and I was like, "vomit!!!" I took her to work today. I thought she was on the mend (threw up overnight but then was just loose stools all day...good thing I brought three pairs of pants/undies with me) but then when we got home she threw up again. Poor thing is hungry for real food but obviously can't have it. I suppose she'll be home again tomorrow. I just need for all kids and myself to be well on Friday because I'm giving tests in my classes and can't move/cancel the test or bring a child along for something like that! I'm thinking about trying to find people to proctor the tests now just in case I get sick myself.

• @kat81 I hope she's feeling better soon and no one else in your house gets sick!  We all had the stomach flu last spring at it was horrible- ironically I remember thinking thank god we only have one kid I couldn't handle two and being this sick. 

My big complaint is that everytime I catch the toe of my shoe on the ground/stub my toe/stumble it feels like I've been punted in the crotch and it is VERY difficult to not scream "f*"!  I work in elementary schools so I've got to contain myself but ffffffffffffffff*cccckkk it hurts so badly. 
  • @BabyMC517 Sorry you're still having that uncomfortableness, I can completely emphasize. I hope it stops asap.
  • @BabyMC517 Sorry you're still having that uncomfortableness, I can completely emphasize. I hope it stops asap.
    Thanks! It truly is horrible. I tried laying down and it just made my back feel worse but my stomach wasn't tight anymore. Now I'm going to attempt a bath to see if that helps relax it. Sorry you've been so uncomfortable too! I just keep telling myself we're almost there and maybe this is just preparing me for what's to come! 

• kat81kat81 member
    edited April 2017
    @kat81 I hope she's feeling better soon and no one else in your house gets sick!  We all had the stomach flu last spring at it was horrible- ironically I remember thinking thank god we only have one kid I couldn't handle two and being this sick. 

My big complaint is that everytime I catch the toe of my shoe on the ground/stub my toe/stumble it feels like I've been punted in the crotch and it is VERY difficult to not scream "f*"!  I work in elementary schools so I've got to contain myself but ffffffffffffffff*cccckkk it hurts so badly. 
    We have been SO lucky with stomach flus. I mean...this is literally our first one in 6+ years of parenting. We've had GI bugs but none in which the kid threw up (though WE have thrown up from these!) The kids have just gotten diarrhea, which is gross, but 1000x better than vomit. The only throw-ups we've had were a) baby stage -- might have been projectile, but it was just breastmilk; both kids repeatedly but then it was over by 12ish weeks of age b) DS had a weird habit of shoving his hands in his throat and threw up maybe twice from this, c) DS sometimes hates food so vehemently he has immediately thrown it up when forced to eat it (i.e. like a gagging reflex). Only happened 2-3 times total, though. So there has been almost no child vomit in our lives given that we've been doing this for 6.5 yrs. DD vomited on the couch this afternoon and I literally don't know what to do. I used the upholstry cleaner and it didn't work fully and I don't know what else to do. I'm going to make DH take a stab at it when he gets home, I guess! Our couch doesn't have removable cushions or anything; it's one piece. So I hope we can get the vomit out or we're screwed. It's our only couch in the house, too. I'm not going to want to sit on that part of it!

As for your toes...I can relate. I am stubbing my toes ALL of the time! I can't wait until I can walk like a normal person and see my feet while I walk (it is both the shuffling due to hip pain as well as the inability to see/sense my body that causes the toe accidents.)

• +1 for heightened sense of smell. I have had it the whole pregnancy. I cannot figure out what product it is that H uses that I hate the smell of right now. Poor guy is constantly being told he smells bad by me because if it isn't mystery product in the morning it is just the end of the day sweat smell. I am ready to have my non-bloodhound sense of smell back. 

@kat81 I hope she feels better soon and that you do not get it!
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Sense of smell is up here too, the problem is I have a cold... how in the hell can I smell everything while my nose is blocked?!
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • @kat81 I hope your little one feels better soon!
    @BabyMC517 Hopefully it's just baby's position and it will not keep happening, because baby won't be able to move as much verrry soon!
    @nda_roxybabe So sorry to hear of your diagnosis! Do you feel better after the chiro adjusted it?

I have a question, probably not the best thread, but oh well. Yesterday I did a ton of bending down (bending down and squatting, leaning, etc.) while cleaning up copious dog vomit. It was uncomfortable at the time, but after it was painful for a few hours. Could I be hurting baby? Or just me? (Silly FTM worries.)

• @jayandaplus thanks! I'm hoping he decides to go low again soon! I'm thinking that's what it is. He's been low pretty much the entire time until recently. He's all up in my ribs and moving around like crazy! 

I'm a FTM, too, so not much help on whether you are actually hurting the baby, although I don't think you are. They are pretty protected in there :) I know it is uncomfortable and sometimes painful when I attempt to bend, which isn't often anymore. Maybe its just the motion or RLP type stuff going on. Are you feeling better now?

• jayandaplusjayandaplus member
    edited April 2017
    @BabyMC517 Yes, I'm feeling better now. Maybe it's just a lesson in not overdoing it? It was pretty painful the rest of the night, but like you, this baby seems all over the place inside me still so I may have shifted it into a bad placement?

ETA: Thanks @Jens_Hoes. Glad you're feeling better too!
  • @jayandaplus anything is possible! But yes, I think our bodies know when to tell us to slow it down! I definitely did way to much when we moved a few weeks ago and paid for it. I was so sore and exhausted like @jens_hoes. Its so hard to slow down though when you feel like you have so much left to do! 

• @jayandaplus - I have been deep cleaning this week and end up sore and exhausted every evening. Gratefully, it's only our body that suffers and not baby's. Basically the same concept for the most part of why working out safely during pregnancy is important, because of safety to our bodies so much more than because of potential damage to our babies.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I'm 100 percent over Braxton hicks contractions. 37 weeks sunday. I know it's my body practicing etc... I just hate the sensation. This morning I'm snoozing in bed between alarms and I get one and it makes me get up to pee. Just feeling uncomfortable and annoyed
  • LO has been having a crazy dance party since yesterday evening and is still pretty active today. Is it normal to have continuous movement? I usually have a movement day and a lazy day. I know low movement is bad but didn't know about high movement. 
  • SWE2 said:
    LO has been having a crazy dance party since yesterday evening and is still pretty active today. Is it normal to have continuous movement? I usually have a movement day and a lazy day. I know low movement is bad but didn't know about high movement. 
    I've had some crazy high movement days. I suspect its normal?
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @SWE2 I have a very active little one, in my opinion. Some days are 24/7 dance party. Probably normal, especially as baby runs out of room, we're feeling everything.
  • I had a high movememt day yesterday. As a result I have felt more hungry! He must be taking in more nutritions or something burning all that energy in there.

• Is it normal to get a pulsing backache in my lower back that lasts about a minute at a time? It comes periodically.
  • @michelle59-2 Are you a FTM? I'd be concerned your back pain might be contractions. Do you have an on call number for your OB? Might be good to call. Try timing it to see if it has a pattern. Drink plenty of fluids, rest.
  • @michelle59-2 I second @jayandaplus that you should call your OB or midwife if you're having timeable pain that's lasting a minute and coming and going.  
  • Thank you. The only number that I have is for L&D. But I will try calling them. It's not coming too close together yet. And yep, @jayandaplus I am a FTM. Of course, we are out at H's parents today, so it's over 30 minutes to the hospital if I need to go in. 
  • @michelle59-2 back contractions are more likely to happen when baby is sunny side up. Its pretty awful! If you are getting at least 5 or 6 an hour thats when I would call. I hope they go away so your lo can keep cooking!

• Is it normal to get a pulsing backache in my lower back that lasts about a minute at a time? It comes periodically.
    I get these all the time. As long as there is no pattern/rhythm to them or increase in intensity, I wouldn't worry too much. I feel like mine are just part of my body getting ready.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• vrj0522 said:
    Is it normal to get a pulsing backache in my lower back that lasts about a minute at a time? It comes periodically.
    I get these all the time. As long as there is no pattern/rhythm to them or increase in intensity, I wouldn't worry too much. I feel like mine are just part of my body getting ready.
    Oh I've had this for the past few weeks. Just your body gearing up. Feels like a pulsing throbbing back pain. It's very painful IMO. But even when I went into labor I didn't have this. Just randomly here and there during pregnancy 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you ladies! That helps a ton! It seems to have stopped now too. 
    I was coming to ask about this too... must be normal, it was the pulsing that had me confused
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Ok BTDT mamas, question for you

TMI TMI TMI TMI

So when you get hemorrhoids and you start treating it - did anyone manage to get rid of it before delivery? If not - was it fairly awful during labor? How fast did it go away afterwards? I had it once before but i feel like it's a different ball game altogether with the baby pressing on all the organs. Thx!
  • @thistlenweeds Just answering from a medical perspective, they take days to weeks to go away, depending on the severity. Some may have to be surgically removed, again, depending on the severity. Hopefully they'll at least improve before birth though! I would think rectal hemorrhoids wouldn't be as bad as vaginal ones or vaginal varicosities, but I have no idea.
  • @thistlenweeds I got a hemorrhoid in the second or third trimester with DS. It went away on its own, but then came back with a vengeance (and brought friends) after delivery. PP hemorrhoids were by far the most uncomfortable part of recovery for me but they got better after a week or two (I used tucks pads, took sitz baths, and used lots of preparation H, and colace). I hadn't gotten any post-DS until this pregnancy when I've had a few already (mostly due to zofran-induced constipation from the chemo). Each time I have started treating immediately and they have gone away fairly quickly (which, again, largely has to do with the zofran being out of my system and being able to poop again).

If you've got them now I would start treating right away because I imagine they would be no fun during delivery. Talk to your OB but I would recommend preparation H and tucks pads as often as you can, and sitz baths if it's bad. Also make sure you're taking colace or some other stool softener to help move things along. You can't change pressure from baby, but you can help ensure you don't have additional pressure from constipation or straining.

Good luck and I'm sorry you're dealing with this! They are such a literal pain in the ass!