May 2017 Moms

Symptoms, symptoms, and more symptoms!

Pretty sure we talked about having a "symptoms" thread to help with the randoms being so long, so I figured I'd start it! 

How are you feeling? Any advice from STM+ moms? We're almost there!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin

Re: Symptoms, symptoms, and more symptoms!

• Much like others, I'm having hip pain, but more so from laying on my side so long. Upper back pain with hot flashes, running to the bathroom, feeling weak, and thus causing a contraction. Lasts about 30ish minutes then stops. If I'm lucky it doesn't happen again, but I'm exhausted from it and sore. I'm asking my dr about it again at my appointment tomorrow. Just seems weird that he could be causing all of that...

• Loading the player...
  • I'll happily bitch about my symptoms again:
    -sore hips, inside and out
    -tight back
    -a muscle inside my groin that keeps spasming and causing my leg to give out
    -episodes of digestive distress where I get painful gas (maybe contractions, too?), hot flashes, and diarrhea (similar to what @BabyMC517 said)
    -acid reflux
    -cramping (or contractions?)
    -everything is the worst
  • @WombThereItIs I figured as much haha 5 more weeks...I think I can I think I can I think I can...

• I am also in the same boat
    - SPD pelvic pain
    - sore hips
    - hot at night now
    - very painful cramping when I have trapped gas
    - low cramping like period cramps
    - peeing all the time during the day and luckily only a few times at night. 

Anyone know now how long after baby comes and you recover do these things go away? Specifically the pelvic pain? I would love to roll over in bed, put pants or underwear on without wanting to cry. 
  • I can't sleep and I'm always having hot flashes. @WombThereItIs's wisdom of just being screwed feels accurate.
  • @SWE2 I don't know if my symptoms went away right away, or if I just didn't notice them anymore because of newborn exhaustion and a whole new array of pain associated with breastfeeding and pushing a watermelon out. 
    But in any case, my hips were generally back to feeling good right away from what I remember! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • @swe2 Most of my pregnancy symptoms went away almost immediately (i.e., back pains, heartburn, hot flash, inability to get comfortable, peeing all the time); however, there is a whole host of PP symptoms to deal with (for me the cramping, especially while breastfeeding was the worst).   

I remember getting home from the the hospital and thinking that I had forgotten how comfortable my bed was...I'm looking forward to that day.  
  • The most pervasive symptom for me is also the hip, groin, and pelvic pain. Rolling over in bed is a nightmare lol. I have to shift from left, to right, and then inclined on my back several times, so my hips don't get overly agitated, but the moving in bed is the pits!
    I don't remember experiencing the hip/pelvic pain after my first was born at all. Like the previous poster said, maybe I was too distracted by the other soreness, but I'm pretty sure it went away as soon as the baby was out.
    Also peeing. So much peeing. It feels like an emergency every time. Especially when I stand up from my desk at work after sitting for a while. Get to the bathroom...just a trickle. I remember this sensation right up until the last baby came out! During labor last time, I kept saying "I gotta pee!" and trying to get to the toilet. Yeah, that's baby compressing the bladder lol.
    The finish line is in sight! Trying to enjoy the last few weeks of baby moving inside me, but those have become very painful as well (I think he's trying to punch his way out through my stomach)!
  • I'm just so hot, I woke up sweating and it was 67 degrees in my bedroom. Unfortunately it was like this for my PP too....ugh. Hopefully it won't stick around this time! 
  • I am feeling third tri AF. I want a nap and cheesecake and for this kid to be out and 6 months old already.
    Yes to this. Completely. If this kid decides to be a late arrival, I'm gonna be pissed.

Married:09/14/13 
    Baby 1-Born: 7/29/15
    Baby 2 - Due: 5/4/17
  • I feel for everyone with the pelvic pain...putting on and taking off pants was already a chore, but now with the pelvic pain it's worse. Acid reflux is a huge pain as well, especially since I've already eliminated all the things I enjoy (seltzer/bubbly drinks, lemonade, citrus fruits, tomato soup), and yet I am still experiencing it. Does anyone have aches in their joints? Specifically fingers and wrists? I notice when I wake up in the morning my fingers feel like I've been gripping something really tight, and my wrists ache as well.
  • @starphish18 I can't remember did the Dr's check your gallbladder 
  • @pshaortao I feel you! first pregnancy was a dream, this pregnancy is killing my back pelvis feels clunky so sore under belly through pubic symphosis I want to get to 37 next Sunday then she's welcome whenever she decides to come
  • Yiggle09 said:
    @starphish18 I can't remember did the Dr's check your gallbladder 
    No, is that something I should ask about?
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot this pregnancy is so different from my first!

With DD: morning sickness from 6 weeks to 30 weeks with daily throwing up, low fluid towards the end, carried pretty small in general so wasn't very uncomfortable (two nights before I went into labor I was walked the dog 5.5 miles with no discomfort at all), no Braxton hicks ever, subtle movements (anterior placenta) 

This time: about two weeks of mild morning sickness at the beginning, fluid too high, carrying much bigger this time (I swear every day I wake bigger than when I went to sleep), a lot more hip/back pain, I've had BH since like 21 weeks, karate kid growing in there (posterior placenta) 

It will be interesting to see how different they are on the outside. 
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • My 1st pregnancy was awful, but I was also still teaching full-time so I'm not sure if the hip/SPD pain was more aggravated by chasing around a roomful of kinder students all day. 
    2nd pregnancy with DD2 seemed so much easier. I gained the least amount of weight between all of my pregnancies and I really had no back/hip pain until maybe the last couple of weeks. 
    This pregnancy has been more awful. My hip pain is definitely back with vengeance, I had morning sickness in first trimester and I'm just exhausted. But it could all be because I overdue it with running DD1 or DD2 to a million different activities, DH has been gone off and on multiple times, and I'm inching closer to 30. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Any other STMs notice how previous pregnancies differ or are the same?  When I was pregnant with DD, I had the carpal tunnel symptoms, couldn't wear my wedding rings, my feet grew, and I had acne.  I have none of that this time, but this time I had morning sickness in the first tri.  Last time, DD kept me up all night kicking while this LO seems to sleep most of the night until I start moving in the morning.  This time I have way more hip pain.  Both times I had the dreaded GD.  

Not sure if this counts as a "symptom," but little one is measuring at 7lbs 10oz at today's growth scan.  I'm 36wks.  I might start a size pool.  Who's got 10lbs?

my pregnancies have been somewhat different and somewhat similar.. both boys. Those old wives tales just aren't true...

This weekend I was just talking with my 2 cousins. Both had babies at 36 weeks 3 days, one has type 1 diabetes her daughter was 9.5lbs and the other who was not diabetic had a little peanut at 5lbs.

• @SWE2 I can't WAIT to be able to roll over in bed again. I never thought that would be such a luxury! Stuck in place = terrible hip pain (and if I try to sleep on my left side she seems to settle into a painful deadweight position, so I only do right side now).

@NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot Mine was measuring a pound above average at our u/s a few weeks ago, and I'm curious to see what happens by our next one (next week). At that point she was on pace to be 9 pounds :#...I'm very small so I'm terrified! *But* my BFF told me her son was supposed to be 9+ pounds based on late ultrasounds and he was barely over 7, so my fingers are crossed for both of us!
  • @L1C4gal
    DD also measured very large, although I can't remember how much, maybe 9-10lbs? Anyway, she was only 7lbs 2oz at birth, which was well beyond the margin of error.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot @WombThereItIs Thanks! I'm breathing a bit easier, while keeping in mind that it's obviously going to hurt no matter how big/small she is!
  • kat81kat81 member
    ha, great, this is what I threw into the randoms last night.

Recently the baby has been ALL over the place. My stupid theory about this that aligns with what people have observed about my belly is that this time for whatever reason the belly didn't expand enough outwards. Instead the uterus (and the baby) are just growing deeper into my body, pushing everything out of the way. Today I feel ok but yesterday and all weekend I had a sore rib on my right AND a ton of pelvic pain. The baby is definitely getting squished in there! I know this is just a fact of life of the end, though, not some stupid "my belly hasn't popped out enough" idea. I've done this before and felt it before. But it will be nice to have my body back (oh except for the 2ish years of nursing I'll likely do!)

• kat81kat81 member
    I feel for everyone with the pelvic pain...putting on and taking off pants was already a chore, but now with the pelvic pain it's worse. Acid reflux is a huge pain as well, especially since I've already eliminated all the things I enjoy (seltzer/bubbly drinks, lemonade, citrus fruits, tomato soup), and yet I am still experiencing it. Does anyone have aches in their joints? Specifically fingers and wrists? I notice when I wake up in the morning my fingers feel like I've been gripping something really tight, and my wrists ache as well.
    You must put on pants sitting down. Don't attempt this standing up anymore if you have pelvic pain / SPD!

• kat81kat81 member
    SWE2 said:

Anyone know now how long after baby comes and you recover do these things go away? Specifically the pelvic pain? I would love to roll over in bed, put pants or underwear on without wanting to cry. 
    Kid #1 -- immediately upon delivery I felt 100%...or at least it seemed that way because the contrast was so massive. I might have undergone some additional recovery after that point but I basically was able to do those things very easily right after delivery.

Kid #2 -- I immediately felt a lot better after delivery, but I was disappointed to discover that it took a good 3-4 months to feel normal. As you might know, one SPD symptom is that if you are carrying something on one side you'll get the pain (i.e. if you're imbalanced.) Carrying around the carseat was just not something I could do. I had to use the stroller frame even for quick in-and-out errands in which normally carrying the seat would have been ok.

As for putting on pants and underwear I hope you are doing this from a sitting position. Absolutely do not put weight on one leg to do this. If you do it sitting down it shouldn't hopefully be a problem.

• @MiaQuiche84 yes I have the same soreness in the joints in my hands (both pregnancies). My dr said it's from fluid in the knuckles and totally normal. I guess though if it doesn't go away after a bit I'd be concerned. 

@WombThereItIs now I want cheesecake after my nap today!

My whole crotch is tired. Between general pelvic pain and my stupid f*cking varicose vein, my crotch is always sore. And rolling over in bed..... :cry: Oh and my feet hurt? I can walk to the mailbox and back and it's like my feet went 25 miles!
  • kat81kat81 member
    I'm glad someone asked about the pregnancy comparisons. This has been very interesting to me and I thought I'd be able to use it to guess the gender of the baby but it has been so hard.

With my first pregnancy I was young and fit. I had morning sickness and whatnot, but it was not too intense and somewhat short-lived. I was very active all of the way until the end and could do quite a lot, though my SPD symptoms were quite acute...probably because I didn't know what it was until late in the process and hadn't managed it well. But going into the whole thing so fit, I recovered very easily. This pregnancy I had a posterior placenta and felt and saw movement very early. Movement was SO defined and dramatic by the end. It was awesome. I had a boy.

With my second pregnancy I got more morning sickness, so I guessed "girl" and was correct. I "took it easy" to avoid getting SPD too bad, but ended up putting on too much weight and got SPD worse (less acute pains, but more pain overall). I also had more swelling and whatnot at the end, though it made sense because I delivered at the very end of the summer/hot weather. I did NOT recover rapidly from SPD. I had an anterior placenta and didn't feel movement as early as with #1. It was a disappointment.

With this one, my morning sickness was the worst (unless I have a bad memory and/or I became a wimp.) So I guessed a girl again. I expected SPD to be the worst of all this time, though I tried to manage it very well and prepare for it by getting a little bit fit before pregnancy. Was not as active as I wanted to be in the first half because of morning sickness, though, but overall I have maintained a low level of activity (definitely not "overdoing it"). To my surprise, SPD is much better this time. Maybe even better than with #1. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Because things have been easy at the end it feels like a "boy" again, so now I have no idea if I'm having a girl vs. a boy. This time I have another anterior placenta, news that disappointed me again, but somehow the movements are still pretty well defined and visible at least over some areas of the belly (i.e. NOT front/center), so it has not been a disappointment afterall. The kids have been able to see and feel movement, so that's fun.

One symptom I got in both pregnancies, esp #1, that I have not had yet AT ALL (knock on wood!) this time around is charley horses! I have had no weird cramping! I have had a few times I'd feel one might start but I was able to stop it in time. And no, I'm not more hydrated than before, I think I'm less hydrated this pregnancy.

I had more BH contractions with #2 than #1 and I expect that could be the most with #3 as we get to the very end; they have been ramping up! This apparently happens with successive pregnancies and with 3rd kids you get a lot of false labor (great!) But I'm not there yet.

• @starphish18 just the painful gas digestive issues and diarrhea could be symptoms. I just don't want anyone to go through what I did with mine. 
  • Those who have had different pregnancies are making me hopeful that subsequent pregnancies could be better... No? 
    Maybe? Both of my pregnancies have been "easy," but the first was definitely the easiest since I wasn't sick in the beginning and wasn't chasing another kid.  This time, I'm so darn worn out at the end of everyday it's hard to tell how much of that is due solely to pregnancy.  I haven't enjoyed this pregnancy as much as I did the first due to my sheer exhaustion and low patience with DD & DH, which makes me feel guilty.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot My carpal tunnel symptoms have been the worst part of this pregnancy for me since really early on. (Now with 2 weeks to go, everything hurts equally.) When did yours go away? I'm really hoping mine go away when baby gets here. 
  • @rebecca517-2  I'm sorry. I can't remember when they went away.  They definitely disappeared though.  One of my friends had it  post-birth and ended up getting a cortisone shot.  Then it never came back after, even during her next pregnancy.  

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @jayandaplus My first pregnancy (boy) was much easier. I had more energy and no SPD. I taught infants and toddlers until I was 9 mo pregnant with no problem. I did have morning sickness but half a Zofran at night would tide me over the whole next day. 

This baby (girl) I have full blown SPD and HG. 3 prescription meds for nausea and vomiting and it is still
    hanging on at 35 weeks. Both babies were/are very active but this time around I am measuring a little small which I never did with DS. 

Honestly we probably are done after this baby for a lot of reasons - but my health and need to work while pregnant are a huge factor in being 2 and through. 
  • vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited April 2017
    My 3 pregnancies have definitely been different.

My easiest was with DS, although I developed tendinitis at the end and that continued into pp and affected my ability to bf. I had nausea first tri only and a tiny bump the entire time; even in the last few weeks of pregnancy I could still wear non-maternity tops no problem. 

My most difficult was with DD. I had bad nausea the entire pregnancy and horrible SPD for the last 10 weeks or so. At 37 weeks, I had a couple of days where I felt like my pelvis was going to break in two and I could barely move around. That didn't help her come any sooner though. Mild hand issues during pregnancy but those went away after birth. 

This pregnancy has been better than my 2nd as a whole. I had nausea first tri and it came back in 3rd tri but much more mild and manageable. I have SPD again but again much more mild, where I can still jog/walk without much issue. My feet definitely have grown this time though as well as my belly. I've had to go up a size in maternity clothes during last tri even though at two weeks away I only weigh 4 lbs heavier than my final weight with DS and 2 lbs heavier than my final weight with DD. No hand issues this time. 

ETA to add that my GBS status has changed every pregnancy too. Negative with DS, positive with DD, negative this time. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• De Quervains Tendinosis. My thumbs/wrists are killing me and from what I've read, it gets worst once baby comes. Ughh.

Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Instead of tagging every single one of you ladies, I'll just say it's reassuring (through still wretchedly miserable) to see that there's absolutely nothing unique in my third trimester woes. This weekend something inside seems to have... shifted? and my pelvic pain and pressure shot up immensely. Walking has become much more difficult. I keep squinting at my belly to determine whether the baby has "dropped" but I'm not entirely sure. 

There's a dumb bureaucratic two-day due-date discrepancy at my OB which seems so trivial, but under the May 8th due date I thought we were operating with it's a relief to be able to say I'm 37 weeks today and thus full term, as opposed to the May 10th due date woven out of sheer satanic lies that has me waiting two more excruciating days for that milestone (guess which one the office is locked into!). It somehow makes the symptoms feel more overwhelming.