July 2016 Moms

Week of 5/23 Randoms

Re: Week of 5/23 Randoms

• How are you keeping your animals away from the baby's things? I just set up the bouncer today and my chihuahuas think it's a new bed for them. I really don't want to put it away because I want them used to his things around the house but I don't want them laying in it either... 
  • Loading the player...
  • LF93LF93 member
    @jen11797 I think a lot of trolls are surfacing now with the intention of trying to get a reaction from the regular ladies. I know I'm more of a lurker than a poster so I know how the board runs but I think when people arrive out of no where and then don't like the responses, that's when the trouble begins. It's unfortunate because I think the support here is second to none (well what I've received myself and seen other ladies receive). :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • @Shelby00519 my dog has shown very little interest in any of the baby stuff, he's just obsessed with me more than ever. My cats on the other hand....I put foil in the crib and pack n play and bassinet which worked well. My one cat is obsessed with the bouncy seat and the other one is obsessed with the glider and the other one is obsessed with the toy box so....more foil it is I guess! I don't know if dogs hate foil as much as cats do, but you could try wrapping the seat in it for a few weeks and see if it deters them! 
  • @quartz02 @lizhurt @jennyleigh16 Thanks for all your ideas! There were some really good ones. 

Here's the current situation. DH has a name he loves, Beck. I like it too. He even liked it more than Finn. So what's the problem? His dog was named that originally before they renamed him The Dude. Am I being irrational to not wanting to use it? I do know two other people who named their children the same thing as a pet they used to have but its kind of weird to me. I'm trying to get over it but it's hard. 
  • @Shelby00519 I have a big dog, so that may be different since she can't fit into baby's things, but she is really curious about it and always tries to go in the nursery. We're training her that the nursery is off limits like our bedroom, and mostly just keeping on her and telling her no anytime she tries to get in there or play with a baby item seems to be working right now. I'm having more of an issue keeping her away from me! She will not leave me alone, it's driving me insane! 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • @Shelby00519 surprisingly enough my cat has shown no interest in any of the baby items. I for sure thought I would catch her in something but she is still laying in her normal sleeping spots. And my dogs could give two shits about anything baby related. 
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• @shanparadise the dog isn't still named beck right? Was it the dogs name when he came to you or did you guys choose that name? I say if the dog has a new name, and you didn't choose beck for the dog, you can use it for your kid. If you had originally named the dog beck and thought it was a good dog name, then I would be wary of naming your child that. 
  • @shanparadise , we are naming our daughter Eva, which is a family name. I didn't think I'd get to use it for a long time, because it was the name of my BIL's dog. Not just any dog, one of the most awful little dogs you've ever met (and I love dogs). The dog is no longer in the family due to a divorce, but my BIL has made jokes about telling My daughter she was named for the dog. I don't think it's a big deal in general to name a kid the same name that a dog once had, but I was not very accepting of my BIL's idea that it was funny to associate my kid with that horrible animal. Probably depends on the dog a little bit. ;)
  • @shanparadise I don't think you're irrational for hesitating to use Beck, but I just want to say two things:

1. I echo what everyone else has said that it really blows you "lost out" on your first choice name!
    2. Beck and Ruby sounds ridiculously adorable to me. I love that combination! If you can get past the dog's name thing, it's an awesome choice.
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Anyone else eye fucking everyone now? My sex drive has been absent for months now, but I have noticed it has started coming back with a vengeance. I can't leave the house without seriously eye fucking and drooling over so many men. 
  • shanparadiseshanparadise member
    edited May 2016
    The dog passed away about six months ago and he was an awesome dog. I was allergic to him so he lived with my BIL after DH and I moved in together years ago.  DH had him well before we met and he was always known as The Dude to everyone unless he was in trouble with DH, then he was Beck. So he was rarely called Beck. Towards the end he didn't even respond to it.

I'm feeling a little bit less desolate now... you ladies are the best! 

ETA: Words. I suck at grammar today. 
  • @shanparadise - I think others have had awesome advice about Beck and I think it sounds like a great name. On a similar note, I realized after we had decided on naming our kid Jake (if he's a boy), that I had a dog named Jake growing up. It seriously took months of considering the name before it even dawned on me that it was my dog's name. 

@Shelby00519 - the tin foil trick has worked really well for me so far. I put up the pack n play about a month ago and the cat was obsessed with it. I put tin foil in it and he went in it ONCE before freaking out and hasn't tried to go in it since. There is one tiny footprint in there from his one encounter with it and the rest of the foil is still shiny and untouched! Not sure how well it works for dogs.
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • @YeezusButters I dont think I have ever felt more jealousy in my life than right now! 
  • @shanparadise I'm naming my son the same name of a cat I used to have (who was one of the few cats I have ever really liked). But I didn't name that cat, my brother did, and he gave it a very human name that I have always liked (Peter), so I don't care that the cat had it at one point! It's my kid's name now! And no, I'm not naming him after the cat, as much as I may have liked him.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • I bought a $20 inflatable pool, a pineapple, and a bag of grapes. If you need me, I'll be partially submerged and eating fruit like a goddess. If only we had palm leaves for my husband to use as fans.
    I love this! Hahaha 
  • Sorry if this has already been discussed. Stm+ moms, what is a good/safe fever reducer to have on hand for newborns? Any other first aid/medication necessities you sweat by?
  • I like Beckett @bunkie999! Good suggestion. We have a Beckett in our group of friends. 

I see nothing wrong with using a former pet's name for your child!! Our dog is Miles and my husband actually suggested it as a baby boy name. Miles is still very much with us in our house so I think that would be a tad weird, lol. But I had a cat Max and had no problem throwing that out as a suggestion for baby. 
  • @Nerdchild yup Tylenol. After six months have Motrin on hand too. You can then alternate between the two if needed when LO is really sick or teething and then they get to have doses more frequently (just following the separate timing for doses of each one) -- nice little hack.

There are some good med/health kits you can get with essentials. Usually includes a thermometer, nasal aspirator, nail clippers and a few medicine syringes, though Tylenol will come with a syringe. But instead of those bulb aspirators the kits come with, I highly preferred the Nose Frieda -- AKA the snot sucker.
    DD1: Born January 2013
    DD2: Due July 12, 2016
    Two rescue dogs 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 2016 - July Siggy: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • HMcDade1HMcDade1 member
    edited May 2016
    Nerdchild said:
    Sorry if this has already been discussed. Stm+ moms, what is a good/safe fever reducer to have on hand for newborns? Any other first aid/medication necessities you sweat by?
    My coworkers swear by gripe water and gas drops. So I have them stashed. I'm not sure how young I'm willing to use them, but at least I have them. I also have baby saline nose drops. And what pp said, Tylenol only until they're older. 
  • Nerdchild said:
    Sorry if this has already been discussed. Stm+ moms, what is a good/safe fever reducer to have on hand for newborns? Any other first aid/medication necessities you sweat by?
    Vitamin D drops if nursing and Nose Frieda works really well for stuffy noses! Otherwise I didn't have any medicines on hand. We didn't use Tylenol until DD was older and DH just went to the store and bought it. Now it's probably expired so I won't buy more until I need it again since we use it so rarely. 
  • Target makes an infant acetaminophen that is dye-free. I keep that around. 
  • FYI- When DD started teething, we bought Orajel because I thought that is what everyone uses. Then I read that the FDA warns against it. I asked our pediatrician about it and she also recommended against it. 
  • So for BRU I know that once you close out your registry you get a basket and anything you fit in your basket you get a discount on. What about Target, do they do anything? There is only a few things on my Target registry we absolutely need and once we get those this weekend I'm thinking about closing it out. 
  • foxa319foxa319 member
    I'm having a big ol pity party over here for myself, I got the news this morning that I will need to be admitted to the hospital on Monday and stay until whenever the baby is to be induced. I have cholestasis which is super rare and no one ever knows anything about! Basically my Bile from my liver isn't able to be processed and filtered correctly and it backs up and goes into my blood stream which then causes a toxic environment for the baby. This is my 2nd pregnancy with this but this time it is much more severe and I was diagnosed 8 weeks earlier than with my first. You bile acid levels determine the course of treatment >10 is s diagnosis of icp, >40 is considered severe, and my most recent labs came back at 103! My Mfm has never seen readings so high. I know I'll be going in Monday to receive betamethasone steroids to help mature the baby's lungs but I'm not really sure what the plan will be past that point except that I will not leave the hospital until the baby is born. Im 34 weeks today. They may just keep me monitored very closely and keep me pregnant for a few weeks of they might induce 24 hrs after my 2nd steroid shot. 

Im just sad and overwhelmed. Ds turns 1 on June 6th and I've had to cancel his bday party and will probably be in the hospital still for his real birthday. My family doesn't live around here so a lot of arrangements need to be made for child care, which is why they gave me til Monday to get everything in order. I just don't want to leave my little guy for so long! I know this is what's best for LO and for me but it's still just so hard to wrap my head around hospital bed rest. I'm a former L&D nurse so I know all that goes into an antepartum admission and it sucks! Luckily I'll be at the hospital I used to work at and have many many nurse friends and Drs who will visit me and who will take great care of LO and I! 

Sorry this his is so long! Needed to whole heartedly vent as with everyone else in my life I'm really putting up this strong front that everything is ok even though I'm really feeling scared and sad! 
  • @foxa319 - that really sucks :( I'm really sorry you're going through this right now. I hope that LO decides to stay put for a few more weeks until you can get the steroid shot and get a few more weeks of maturing lungs. You have a really healthy perspective on this whole thing but of course that doesn't make it any easier. I will keep you in my thoughts!
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • @foxa319I'm so sorry to hear that. Praying for you and your LO!
  • Jodi1980Jodi1980 member
    edited May 2016
    @foxa319 thinking of you and baby...one of my girlfriends who had her DD 3 weeks ago today was getting extremely itchy without the rash and her doc suspected chloestasis but in the end it wasn't. Happy to hear the doctors and being extremely proactive and monitoring you and LO. You both will be in my t&p! Xo
    jodi
    whitehall, pa
    every adventure requires a first step- C.C.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @foxa319 sending lots of thoughts and prayers sounds like a really difficult situation! Also never apologize for venting here it's what it's here for!  As hard as it is to think about cancelling the party and having to mess with child care I'm sure it will all turn out okay :) and having never heard of chloestasis I am so glad they found it and are keeping a really close eye on you and baby for it! Sounds so scary!! Sending lots of hugs! 
  • @foxa319 - I am so sorry you are going through this. A friend of mine went through a similar situation where she had to cancel her DD's 1st birthday because she was in the hospital. They had the party about a month later. Luckily at that age LOs don't know any better! Do you have any family that can fly in for a week or two to help? 
  • @foxa319 so sorry this is happening to you! I hope they can keep baby in for a while longer! I'm sure your DS won't remember having to move around his birthday, a new baby will make up for it!
    H. Foxe born October 22, 2013
  • @foxa319 I'm so sorry you're going through this! It's only natural for you to be feeling sad/scared/stressed in your situation so don't apologize for venting to us. We're all here to offer support when it's needed! It sounds like your doctors are taking great care of you and baby though & I'm glad that you all have a plan in place. Hugs!  <3