December 2018 Moms

Question Thread

Re: Question Thread

• Thanks for all the info on the EOs, ladies!
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • krobkrob member
    Only slightly related, but another thought is to just tell them. I waited the last time because that’s what everyone says you are supposed to do. But the more I thought about it the more I realized if something bad happens these are the people I want to support me. Now if they aren’t supportive people then totally tell’em to mind their business. 

I’ve told my best friend so far and will probably begin telling more people once it’s been confirmed by dr. appointment. 

*TW
    We had some friends tell us very early on and she ended up miscarrying. She was ok, but her husband took it really hard and my husband was of great comfort to him. That was only because we already knew.*TW
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • Loading the player...
  • k_m10k_m10 member
    I already told two friends who are moms. I figure I’ll need their support either way. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi everybody!  I'm sorry if this has been asked somewhere else (I promise I looked!), but I have a question.  I started not feeling well last night with a really bad sore throat.  Now my throat feels ok but my nose is not happy.  My temp is 100.3 right now and I've been resting as much as I can.  Should I be worried?  I'm 6 weeks today.  Thanks!!   <3
  • AGK2015AGK2015 member
    edited April 2018
    @luckycharm324 I wouldn't be worried, necessarily (technically it's a fever if you hit 100.4), but or wouldn't hurt to call your OB and ask whether you should take some acetaminophen to help keep a fever down.
  • Hello ladies!  Today is officially the first day of my missed period so maybe I am worrying over nothing.  I got my BFP 5 days ago with a very, very faint line.  The line has gotten darker each day but not by much.  Two days ago I tried a clear blue digital and it said not pregnant.  Same happened today.  So now I am starting to panic that this might be a chemical pregnancy.  I can’t remember when the line started getting darker when I was pregnant with my son but I definitely had a “pregnant” on the clear blue test by this point before.  Has anyone had this happen and went on to have a normal pregnancy?  
  • @married_to_a_muggle I think I read somewhere that the digitals require a higher amount of hcg. In my case I took a digital the day of my missed period and two days after and they were both negative. I didn’t get a positive on the digital until I was five days late but I got positives on the cheapies (faint ones like you said) and on an EPT when I was two days late. 

Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4

• @married_to_a_muggle try not to worry just yet. A line is a line on a pregnancy test. And digitalis definitely need more HCG to detect. You could try a different digital (like first response) as it’s super sensative to HCG. or alternatively book an appointment ASAP to get your blood work done so they can read your HCG and go from there. 
    Try to stay positive for now, as hard as it might be. Sending good vibes your way!!
  • @married_to_a_muggle I had bought a 2 pack of Clear Blue Easy (the +, not the digital) and tested negative on both. I took one 2 days before my period, and the other the day my period was due. I bought the 88 cent test from Walmart when I was 4 days late, and it instantly showed positive. I have 2 older kids, and I had tested early with them and gotten positive tests, so I was surprised that I tested negative this time. I'll be 6 weeks tomorrow, and have lots of symptoms. 

• k_m10k_m10 member
    @married_to_a_muggle have you tried the First Response Early Response?
    I was 2 days late and tried a Wondfo and saw a very faint line, so faint that I thought I was making it up. Tried a FRER the next day and saw a line, then a digital that evening and got a +. Sometimes it just takes a while.
    Try not to worry too much. Have you called your doctor for a blood test?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @married_to_a_muggle For what it's worth, I took a First Response digital a day before my period (if already gotten faint positives on a couple Wondfos) and it was negative. Fast forward a few weeks and  I'm definitely pregnant; I've seen the heartbeat and everything. HCG levels this early may not be enough to trip a less sensitive test. You've gotten a positive already; I wouldn't worry too hard. But definitely call your OB; they may want to set you up for some bloodwork.

Congratulations!
  • Agreed - try not to worry yet. Wait a few days and make sure you do a hold before testing (no water or peeing for a couple hours before). I didn't get my BFP on an FRER until a few days after my missed period!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks ladies for all the reassurance.  I am going to wait a few more days and try again.  I don’t even know why it is so important to me to see the “pregnant” come up on the digital test.  My period has not come and the pink line is there on all the other tests so I am obviously pregnant.  I promised myself I would try to be relaxed and go with the flow during this pregnancy and here I am stressing right out the gate!
  • I don't use oils but last time I was pregnant my MW specifically warned me against lavender because it's an endocrine disruptor.  Make sure you're getting your info from reliable sources, not graphics from a FB page. https://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newsroom/releases/2007/january31/index.cfm
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Re: Caffeine Intake
    DH & I switched entirely to decaf when we started TTC years ago. The first month was an adjustment, but now we love it because we don't have to change anything when I get a BFP, and he can easily buy real coffee when he needs the boost. Speaking of boost, now the caffeine impacts him the way it's supposed to so he gets more punch from a single cup. Of course, I'm crunchy and only buy Swiss Water Processed decaf to decaffeinate the beans (compared to cheaper solvents).

she wants me to keep my heart rate under 140 bpm while running, which is outdated according to Mayo.
    Yeah, dated numbers are a butt. I agree with Jillian Michaels, who simply recommends that you don't over exert yourself, and to definitely exercise. She says that if you're too out of breath to chat, you should dial it down a bit. But if you can easily have a conversation, you can increase the intensity. (I am re-reading her book Yeah Baby, and I love it).

Any other mamas use essential oils?
    Well, I don't have children but I do sparingly use EOs. Each night I diffuse one drop each of lavender and tea tree in 8oz water. It helps me sleep and hasn't had any negative effects on my 65lb dogs or DH.

My temp is 100.3 right now and I've been resting as much as I can.  Should I be worried?
    A low grade fever shouldn't be trouble, but certainly monitor. On the occasion that I get too warm for comfort I take of my shoes, drink something on ice, and put something cold on my forehead or neck. Good luck!

NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • i mentioned this in randoms but it's definitely a question: If you use unisom and B6, how do you take it? Only at night? how many mg, etc... I just picked some up yesterday as my nausea is increasing. I'll take any tips! TIA
  • morgantu said:
    i mentioned this in randoms but it's definitely a question: If you use unisom and B6, how do you take it? Only at night? how many mg, etc... I just picked some up yesterday as my nausea is increasing. I'll take any tips! TIA
    I take it around 7pm (8pm at latest). I only take 1/2 a unisom and a b6. Be prepared to feel a little tired the next morning. It’s not exhaustion, just a little slower than my usual start. It helps my nausea a ton. I still have n/v daily, but it’s so much better than without. I’d definitely recommend. Good luck!
  • FTM here with almost no friends who have had kids so excuse my ignorance on the following topic. I was talking to a pregnant colleague today who is due in a few weeks and learned about GBS (group b strep for those of you like me who don’t know what that is). I had vaguely heard before if your water breaks that you need to go to the hospital to prevent infection. I didn’t realize it was in regards to GBS specifically. Did any of you STM+ do anything to prevent GBS during your previous pregnancies? I really want to labor at home as long as possible which sounds like it could be complicated, depending on when/if my water breaks, if I am positive for GBS in the final weeks of pregnancy. 

Thanks ladies! Also, should we make the questions thread a weekly thread or is it more helpful to have all questions in one place?
  • @nerdeebird I think a weekly thread would be good. And I’ll go ahead and page @Gwyneddlesliegrace to answer on this one. I think garlic and yogurt? 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @nerdeebird unfortunately from my knowledge there is nothing you can do to prevent it. It is one of those things that can kinda come and go from what I was told. You don't get tested for it till  like week 35 so there is no way to know which way it will go. I was induced at week 35/36 with my son so my results had not come back yet so I was treated for it (round of penicillin through an IV) even though I didn't have it. -- Though I hope I am wrong and that someone has different information for you!
  • AGK2015AGK2015 member
    edited April 2018
    @nerdeebird I was GBS positive; you can't really prevent it, unfortunately. I can only really speak to a hospital setting because that's where I labored and delivered, but it was much less frightening than I expected it to be, even though I had a couple complications associated with hit. I had an IV drip with antibiotics that started as soon as I arrived (before my water broke), and still ended up with a uterine infection. Consequently, they gave my daughter a few rounds of IV antibiotics as well over the first few days... so she was technically a NICU baby because of it, but because it was in a "baby-friendly" hospital and the treatment needed was only intermittent, she roomed in with me except for those intervals where they were actually giving her the meds. Other than that relatively minor setback, she was fine and is fine.

That said, only about 1 in 4 women is GBS+ when they test, and only about 1 in 200 babies born to those women ends up contracting GBS at delivery, if I'm remembering right, even when women go without the antibiotics. I wouldn't spend too much time fretting over it just yet; if anything, maybe ask your OB for his/her approach?
  • rosebud332rosebud332 member
    edited April 2018
    @nerdeebird As the others said, I don’t think gbs is preventable, unfortunately. I will add that I think the concern is the baby going through the vaginal canal. So, I was gbs positive but had a c section so it wasn’t really a concern. I believe your water breaking and the concern with infection is a separate issue. I’m not positive on that, but I think if your water breaks and you don’t give birth within a certain time frame they start to worry about infection, and that has nothing to do with gbs.

Eta: If what I said about infection is incorrect, ya’ll are welcome to contradict me. I won’t be mad. :)
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • @nerdeebird I was GBS+ which my first two pregnancies, but GBS- with my third. It’s something that comes and goes. Doctors want to give GBS+ laboring mothers two rounds of antibiotics before baby is born to protect baby, so that’s why they want you in as soon as your water breaks or contractions are consistent. My labors were too fast for me to get those meds, so we stayed an extra night for observation those GBS+ pregnancies.
  • @nerdeebird I actually am going to differ from what was already said. My midwives believe GBs is actually preventable with probiotics. If you do test positive you can always treat with plain cultured yogurt and garlic. Pretty much if your gut heath is stable with probiotics, then you can help stay away from it.

Best form of probiotics is from fermented food. We do our own sour kraut, pickles and kimchi and do well with it. Kombucba is another good choice.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for your responses ladies!

@mckcak23 thanks for the info!

@AGK2015 thanks for sharing your experience! I'm not so much afraid about getting it/being treated for it (though I am not a fan of the idea of using antibiotics as a preventative treatment) as worried that it won't allow me to labor at home if my water breaks early. I'm worried it will force me to go to the hospital early and then put me in a situation where I'm more likely to get interventions, etc. because I want an unmedicated birth... Did they test your daughter for it before treating her or is it just standard to treat if the mother had it?

@rosebud332 there might be other worries about infection and your water breaking. I should probably look more into it/talk to my doctor. I'm just going off the brief convo I had today with my friend today. We were talking about her plan if her water breaks as work and she brought up that she is getting tested for GBS tomorrow and that will determine what she does. Her doctor said if she's positive she'll have to go to the hospital right away if her water breaks and get antibiotics. But if she is negative and her water breaks then she should be ok to labor at home until she wants to go to the hospital. 

@mamaabc thanks for sharing! for your GBS+ pregnancies did they test your babies or automatically treat with antibiotics?

@Gwyneddlesliegrace thanks for the advice! I will look into fermented foods!
  • @nerdeebird To be honest, I know my antibiotics were prophylactic; I don't know whether that was the case for Nugget. I think monitoring, rather than medicating, is standard for most cases, but we had a few risk factors during delivery (the fever, her elevated heart rate, my elevated heart rate) that I believe caused the concern. Whether or not they went through with testing upon delivery or whether they treated her prophylactically I couldn't tell you (I was pretty heavily medicated by then, and my husband was the point person for her care for the first few hours). I never asked.
  • @nerdeebird My babies didn’t show any signs for infection/exposure so they didn’t need any antibotics. They were just monitored for an extra night to be sure they were okay since I didn’t get antibiotics during labor.
  • @Activebaby ok i just took my unisom/b6... we'll see how it goes! 
  • morgantu said:
    @Activebaby ok i just took my unisom/b6... we'll see how it goes! 
    Hope it works as well for you as it does for me!
  • @nurse_good I use YL too! This is a great resource, thanks for sharing!
  • @Activebaby omg i feel so much better today! Unisom is magical! wow! I wish i would have started last week or so! 
  • @morgantu My doc told me yesterday that if I was starting feel nauseated during the afternoon, just pop another b6 and that should help as well!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• morgantu said:
    @Activebaby omg i feel so much better today! Unisom is magical! wow! I wish i would have started last week or so! 
    I’m so glad it helped you! Definitely works for me. Also I just got a zofran script for the bad days.
  • Does anybody happen to know what the appropriate weight gain (or rate of weight gain) is in the first trimester for moms starting out overweight? I was "normal" weight with my first, but gained roughly 65 pounds (almost all of it in the second half); lost it all, gained 25 back, and now I'm sitting in the overweight category to start with, determined to not do the same thing again. Not having another appointment for a while, so hoping to get a sense of what to aim for in the meanwhile.
  • @AGK2015
    From what I found "overweight women with a BMI of 25-29 before pregnancy, should gain between 15-25 lbs their whole pregnancy" & for a woman with a "normal" pre-pregnancy weight you should only gain 1-4.5 lbs in the first trimester. 

That comes straight from the interwebs so don't knock me on the wording.
  • @AGK2015 I believe overweight ladies should aim for approximately 15-25 pounds and obese ladies should aim for 11-20.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @AGK2015 I went by something similar to this during my last prengnacy https://www.babymed.com/tools/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator-by-week
  • I find this is a helpful guide, but I wouldn’t put too much stock in these recommendations. 

https://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-weight-gain-estimator

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @AGK2015 my Ob office gave me this today