December 2018 Moms
Options

Question Thread

Re: Question Thread

• Options
    k_m10k_m10 member
    Thanks @texas_t. I’m trying not to “borrow trouble,” as my friend says.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @wickedtiny I can totally relate. I am terrified for my u/s on Friday. I am hoping I will feel less stress afterward, but I can’t guarantee it. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    k_m10k_m10 member
    @katy0990 good luck with your scan!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So I’m a little freaked right now. I have autoimmune thyroid antibodies, but my TSH has always been normal even during my first pregnancy, though it jumps around wnl.

Just got my first during-pregnancy TSH lab results back  and I’m seriously hyperthyroid TSH = .05. Waiting to hear back from my OB’s office, but feeling a little panicked. I was prepared for being hypothyroid, just start levothyroxine and problem solved, but the little I know suggests managing hyperthyroid is a little more complex, especially during pregnancy.  
  • Options
    texas_ttexas_t member
    @katzalia I've been on Armour Thyroid for a couple of months at 30mg. My bloodwork came back as T3 and T4 in normal ranger,  but TSH of .02.  I received a message from my doctor with a new rx for 15mg Armour Thyroid.  From the little research I did, TSH isn't always the best indicator during pregnancy.  Did they test T3 and T4? How were those numbers? I don't have any autoimmune disorders, so they don't know why my T4 was initially low (that's why I started Armour).  I'm assuming they'll continue to monitor me, but she didn't seem panicked! Also, from what I read, being hypo is more cause for worry than hyper in pregnancy.  FX they can figure it out for you! Keep me posted, because I'm interested!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    mhobbesmhobbes member
    @Katzalia I've always had normal hormone levels but during pregnancy I became hypothyroid. My OB prescribed me something, I freaked out and went to an endocrinologist but turns out the first doctor was right and I'm now taking some medicine everyday and my TSH levels are fine. Talk to your doctor and don't worry too much, most of those drugs are totally safe to be used during pregnancy! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @texas_t thanks for the reassurance and for sharing your experience. I just got a call from my OB. She said hcg can often suppress TSH during pregnancy, so TSH isn’t the most helpful indicator. She also said the same thing you did, that being hyperthyroid is actually helpful for pregnancy, so she doesn’t recommend treating hyperthyroid unless the symptoms are uncomfortable for me. It sounds like she wouldn’t have changed my dose right now if I had been on medication. 

So right now the plan is to monitor every month, or in 2 weeks if I think I’m having more hypothyroid symptoms. Which totally could happen. My TSH can swing 2-3 points in a couple weeks. 

Keep me posted on how things go for you, too. It’s nice to chat with someone else who’s dealing with similar stuff. 
  • Options
    *raises hand* I have a question!

Can we talk a minute about nipple exfoliation? I was just scrubbing in the shower and was painfully sloughing dead skin cells off the nips. Has anybody tried a AHA or BHA liquid on the nipples? I obviously wouldn’t use liquid exfoliants if/when BFing, I’m just trying to save a little pain here. 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    texas_ttexas_t member
    @katzalia It's nice to hear confirmation from your doctor! I didn't call my doc to talk about it and just consulted dr. google, so it's nice to hear a professionals opinion!  
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @echo-charlietango wait, exfoliating the nips? Is that a thing? sounds excruciating. I actually would try olive oil? That’s what I used to do when my first kid had dry patches of skin — an olive oil massage by hand, then mild soap & water to remove if needed. 
  • Options
    @Katzalia Well, the skin isn’t dry, it’s just that I apparently have a high cell turnover rate and need a good scrub... but it hurts :disappointed:
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ab_canadaab_canada member
    edited May 2018
    So this is kind of a fun question:

Are there any fun ways you are planning (or have with your first baby) to keep track of your pregnancy, to be able to have cute memories?

Are you planning a scrapbook or photo book to keep the sonograms and announcement pictures, etc?

Should I have started a new discussion for this? I feel like there would be lots of ideas!

• Options
    maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited May 2018
    @Katzalia Hey there, sounds like you're on an awesome monitoring plan and have lots of good info! I just wanted to add that if you're hyperthyroid during, and especially right after your pregnancy, you need to be extra vigilant about postpartum anxiety. Your thyroid going hyper can cause PPA (and going hypo can cause PPD) I had the displeasure of experiencing both because, in addition to my normal thyroid autoimmune disease, I had severe postpartum thyroiditis after I gave birth to my daughter, and my thyroid was swinging very drastically back and forth between hyper and hypo, and giving my anxiety and depression/fatigue as it swung. Hopefully you will not have any of that to deal with, but to be extra safe, just familiarize yourself with the symptoms of both PPA and PPD (especially PPA, since you're hyper) and if you start feeling any of those signs, let your OB know to check your thyroid asap.

PM me if you'd like any more info! I've had a thyroid autoimmune disease since 2010 and have gone through pregnancy with it and I know it can be scary at first, but it's usually easy to manage, just about monitoring (which your doc is doing!)
  • Options
    maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited May 2018
    @Katzalia Yes, PPA is so undermentioned! And I had no idea (until it happened to me) that it could be caused by underlying thyroid issue, but yes, it can totally happen in absence of thyroid issues too, and it's so important for everyone to look out for the signs. So glad you have an OB who is on top of things and monitoring you closely! Sounds like you're very well informed (especially as a psychologist with part of your practice devoted to women's health!) and are in good hands! :)
  • Options
    Is it normal to feel completely and totally flattened during 1st trimester? I’m 9 weeks, and have been barely functional for 3 weeks now. The nausea is constant, plus churning stomach, periods of intense dizziness, head aches, and exhaustion. This is my second kid.....I remember being super sick with my first, but was still functional. My family is getting worried.....should I be concerned?
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @cmcintos I would definitely mention it to your doctor. I did know someone who was very sick during first tri, and even into second tri I think. I was younger so I'm not sure what she did to help, but I do remember that she was barely around the church anymore for a while. Idk that I would be super worried at the moment, but I do think it's definitely worth talking to your doctor/MW. S/he can probably prescribe or suggest something to help with the nausea!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @ab_canada For DS I took a photo of myself in the nursery each week throughout my pregnancy. Then I made a photo book that included them and photos from my showers, etc. They turned out really neat because you can see the progression of my belly as well as the transition from guest room to nursery. I actually showed DS the belly photos a couple of months ago while trying to explain a friend’s pregnancy.
  • Options
    Ya.....I’ve seen my family doctor and she prescribed declectin....it isn’t working this time around. Just makes me drowsy and floaty feeling, but still sick. Maybe it takes the edge off the nausea, but doesn’t help with the churning stomach. I just try and eat often....bagels with butter are my saviour at the moment. Here’s to hoping it improves soon!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @cmcintos I'm in the same boat. Also taking Diclentic. I take 2 pills at 10:30 every night which keeps the edge off during the day. But if I go more then a couple hours without eating I feel really sick again. I've also been heaving on the carbs. Do what you've got to to survive this trimester. Try to snack on cracker or something similar before the nausea sets in again. Hopefully it passes soon!
  • Options
    @PensiveCrayon
    Wow, those are some great ideas. I love the idea of the 1secondeveryday app. I wouldn't have thought of that, that's for sure!

I'm not a fan of maternity photos. For some reason I don't think I would want to see how big I will get. Is that too vain? Or has anyone thought that and changed their minds? All of my friends got professional photos at around 8 months and I just don't think I would want to spend the money on that.. 

• Options
    AGK2015AGK2015 member
    edited May 2018
    @ab_canada I think if I was the kind of pregnant woman who glowed, I might be less averse to maternity photos, but real talk: there are plenty of women who do NOT wear pregnancy well, and I am one of them, and I do not need to preserve photographic evidence of that time I looked like a listless beached whale. No amount of flower crowns or frolicking are going to make me look less like a bloated corpse once the third tri rolls around. 

(ETA: but MAN did I feel pretty once I got that baby out of me!)
  • Options
    @AGK2015
    That's exactly what I'm feeling! If I could have my own baby without actually being pregnant, I totally would. I love the "I didn't know I was pregnant" show. It would be so much easier lol.

• Options
    I usually cut my face out of my bumpies because what I have isn't "glow". haha
    SO said to me last night "you're glowing" to which I replied "that's sweat."  I am so sexy.

Re people who don't know they're pregnant; this has always baffled me. I mean, c'mon. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 40 | SO: 32

DDs: 11, 7.5 |  Due: 22-Dec

We're having another GIRL!!  <3

• Options
    I mean, if you have a really easy first tri and irregular cycles I guess I can imagine not knowing. But 3rd tri when the baby is trying to do gymnastics into your ribs is where it really baffles me. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    Re “Didn’t know I was pregnant” My sister had a coworker who didn’t know until third tri. Or she was really good at pretending not to know? But I doubt she’d do that. She was terrified when she found out. She had the baby about 3 weeks later. It wasn’t her first kid either, I’m told. So, idk.
    My mom said she didn’t know she was pregnant with my other sister until she was 3 months in. In her defense, I was a baby & she wasn’t expecting another. (We are 14 months apart) She had some regular bleeding that she assumed were periods. 
  • Options
    Hey STMs doing genetic testing, do you have any experience with Panorama vs. MaterniT/Sequenom? The company I used last time is not longer being used by my OB and she asked me to choose between the companies, but both of them are covered by my insurance, and both the out of pocket estimates are vague, so...I have no idea how to choose? I guess I'll just pick the one that people have had the best experience with?

Thank you!
  • Options
    @maureenmce We ended up doing the maternitI last time. The blood work was done at 25 weeks because I had polyhydramnios and DS showed some soft markers for trisomy. It took exactly one week for the results, but I am not sure if it would typically take that long, as my blood was drawn the day before Thanksgiving and was on able to be shipped until after the holiday.
  • Options

I wish that 1st trimester bloat was talked about more. That’s been my biggest surprise. I thought that I would look normal for the first tri. Bahaha!
    This x a million. I haven’t had the bloating so much this time (maybe because I’m so food averse and nauseated I’m not eating much) but last time I couldn’t tolerate *anything* pressing on my belly because of the horrible bloat. 
  • Options

Hey STMs doing genetic testing, do you have any experience with Panorama vs. MaterniT/Sequenom? The company I used last time is not longer being used by my OB and she asked me to choose between the companies, but both of them are covered by my insurance, and both the out of pocket estimates are vague, so...I have no idea how to choose? I guess I'll just pick the one that people have had the best experience with?

Thank you!
    Good question. I have been trying to get together the motivation to do research on the different testing options. I have no idea what I should be doing? My first pregnancy we just did very basic stuff. Now I’m AMA, with some difficulty getting oregnant, and my thyroid going off.. so I’m definitely planning to do more testing than last time. But the info on my OB’s website feels like way too many choices without a lot of guidance on how to decide what’s indicated. Any suggestions on where to educate myself on the this a bit more? 
  • Options
    Is it possible to get mastitis this early? My left boob is so hard and hurty, but i havent breastfed in a year and havent been able to express any milk in months.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @runrinserepeat Do you have a fever? If not, it could still be a clogged duct.
  • Options
    k_m10k_m10 member
    The bloat is so real. I can see not knowing if you have irregular cycles, but I feel like I got run over by a truck, so I feel like most people would feel that something’s off! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am 8 weeks 4 days and my insomnia is through the roof. I am usually a great sleeper. Any tricks (no meds or essential oils)?
  • Options
    whaatwhaat member
    @runrinserepeat have you had it before? It feels like you’re dying, and that’s not an exaggeration. I woke up out of a dead sleep in tons of pain, covered in sweat and shivering. You’d know. 
    @katy0990 is right though maybe a clogged duct? Last pregnancy I started leaking colostrum super early so I could see how that would happen.
  • Options
    No, I think the clogged duct is probably more accurate. It’s been so long since I dealt with any of this that I just completely spaced. I used the heating pad last night and rubbed the hell out of it, and the hard ouchy part is mostly gone, so yay. The joys of breasts... 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I am 8 weeks 4 days and my insomnia is through the roof. I am usually a great sleeper. Any tricks (no meds or essential oils)?
    Chamomile tea? Sleepy time tea? Ocean waves/nature sounds? If you're uncomfortable, a pillow between my legs helps me.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18