December 2018 Moms
Options

Question Thread

Re: Question Thread

• Options
    If I'm remembering right, the AAP advises sharing a room until 1 year, so it can definitely be done and may even have some (probably minimal benefits). For us, the biggest issue was ensuring the best quality sleep I could get because I had to drive her to daycare in the morning; because she wasn't great at sleeping long stretches and constantly wanted to nurse, bedsharing is what worked best for us after the first few months, but it might be different if you're a light sleeper with a noisy (but sleeping) baby, you know? 
  • Options
    @maureenmce I’ve had a headache every day this week, they’re normal for me during pregnancy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kadeephd Our son wsa with us in our room until he was about a year old and that's when I said I needed my own space. My nephew is 18 months and is still in my brother and SIL's room and I don't see him leaving there any time soon, so it can be done!

@maureenmce I had terrible migraines with both of my pregnancies, so far none with this one. Try the peppermint and a cool compress. For me they were so bad my doctor prescribed me Tylenol+Codeine and I had to take it the second I felt a headache coming on to battle it. I'm so sorry you're getting headaches, they are awful!!
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice on the one bedroom apartment situation, ladies.  We'll give it a try for 6 months at least!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mckcak23 said:
    Is anyone else being recommended to take a baby aspirin daily due to a history of Pre-E? I have my apt tomorrow night where I will get my rx for lovenox injections and where they will recommend the baby aspirin (they had brought it up at our preconception apt). 
    Yes, I was recommended to take a baby aspirin daily starting at bfp. They didn’t say anything to me about lovenox however.
  • Options
    @mphillips2 the lovenox is for a blood clots not the pre-e sorry I should have made that clear!
  • Options
    To moms with children already, how long did you wait till you told your other children and how old are they? 

Im waiting till 3 months. I was a single mom and now with the new baby it’s going to be different. We lived with my parents since the day she was born, she just turned 7, and she never had a father figure. I know she’ll be happy about the baby and having a dad but I’m worried she’s gonna hate that we are moving. I just don’t want her to have any anger against the baby. Part of me thinks it’s silly to wait but, I don’t want her to be upset and think “ we moved because of the new baby” I want her to think “we got a baby because we moved” 
  • Options
    @faith0222 if my son was older I'd probably wait. Mostly out of fear of him spilling the beans lol, but also because I wouldn't want to have to explain loss at that age. He's only 2, so idk that he'd quite know the difference anyway. Hope all goes well when you do tell her! If she takes it hard, she may just need time to get used to it. Sounds like she's about to go thru a lot of change, but she's still young and will move past it all fairly quickly. Or she'll be super excited anyways and this will all be moot point!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    So, it's generally observed that it's ok to consume up to 200mg of caffeine a day will pregnant.  Does anyone have a case against drinking energy drinks while pregnant if under that caffeine allotment? I'm typically a coffee fiend, but even typing the word right this second makes me wretch.  I also love Diet Coke, but that's making me a bit gaggy as well.  The only thing that sounds palatable at the moment is Red Bull; I think the sourness helps with the nausea.  Thoughts?    

*TW* I gave up caffeine during my first pregnancy and it ended in a mmc found out at 8 weeks. My second and successful pregnancy, I drank up to 200mg of caffeine a day because I remembered how dead to the world I was during the first trimester *end TW*

*Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    Question for 3rd and up time moms. If you tore during previous delivery are you likely to tear in later delieveries? 
  • Options
    Question for 3rd and up time moms. If you tore during previous delivery are you likely to tear in later delieveries? 
    I had second degree tearing with my first baby and no tearing with my second. I also had to push for like an hour and a half with DD1 and only like 6 min for DD2.
  • Options
    I tore the first time and have slightly return in the same spot every other time.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @texas_t Red Bull is probably not the healthiest, which I'm sure you know, but I don't think it should be a problem as long as it's under 200 mg of caffeine.  I have been drinking black tea instead of coffee, but I'm so tired and I need more energy so I'm considering switching back.  I think lots of people cut out caffeine 100%... but we are people with lives and things to do, not just incubators, and 200mg has been shown to not have adverse affects, so why not if it will help you stay sane?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kadeephd Thanks for the input!!!!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    Agreed about the caffeine. I'm a fan. Right now I'm so sick I haven't been able to stomach coffee but I'm feeling the effects of it. If I could still stomach it I would have kept a cup or two a day in my diet because I'm fairly dependent on it. 
  • Options
    Just tossing in a plug here for my good buddy Arnold Palmer (I make my own, don't know how the stuff in the can is). Black tea plus lemonade, so you get the kick of caffeine plus the hint of sour. I don't know how it would match up against a Red Bull for you, @texas_t, but if you're looking for an alternative it's a thought.
  • Options
    @AGK2015 That is a great suggestion. Arnold Palmer's were my go when I was pregnant with my daughter because tea on its own would make me puke for some reason (?) but the lemonade cut it enough so I could still get the caffeine and the sweet/tart combo made it palatable when nauseous.

Aaaand now I really want an Arnold Palmer!
  • Options
    @AGK2015 That's a great idea! I was craving lemonade yesterday, so I think that would work!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    Not sure the best place to ask this, because it kind of overlaps with the active thread too, but.

I used the same OB for my first two pregnancies. She's never actually delivered my children, and I didn't even see her for the month leading up to my son's birth, just her PA. So it's not like I'm super attached to her. It seems like some of the rules she'd like me to follow are kind of outdated. The big one is my running - she wants me to keep my heart rate under 140 bpm while running, which is outdated according to Mayo. 

But... it's not like I'm going to pull up my workouts on my phone and show her that I'm at 150-160bpm during my runs. It's just that I'm not sure if I should continue with a doctor that I don't entirely trust, I guess? It's just so much easier to stick with her. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @runrinserepeat I think a *lot* of OB's use and overabundance of caution with pregnant ladies and stick to old standard rules. If you like the practice otherwise, and this is the only sticking point really so far, I'd just keep working out the way you feel safe and comfortable and just not mention it to her. Like, my OB is very strict on all of the food restrictions, but it wouldn't be worth it for me to switch practices over it. But if I feel like, once in a blue moon, eating sushi from a safe place, I just would't mention it to her, since I otherwise really love her/her practice. But that's just my two cents. If you have other reasons to distrust her judgement, it's definitely early enough that switching wouldn't be much of a pain probably!
  • Options
    Yeah, apparently I'm not allowed to eat hummus this time around? She's so strict about all the rules, and I'm over here like, "yeah....sure...."
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @runrinserepeat Really? What is the reason for no hummus??
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Options
    @rosebud332 apparently there are issues with contamination because hummus is sometimes made at a different place than it's packaged and it's okay if I make it, just not bought? 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @runrinserepeat Ha yeah I’d probably be like you and just say ooook. Luckily my ob is relatively lax about the food rules. I feel like the packaging thing is probably true about a lot of food products? It’s just odd she singled out hummus.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Options
    @runrinserepeat Ha yeah I’d probably be like you and just say ooook. Luckily my ob is relatively lax about the food rules. I feel like the packaging thing is probably true about a lot of food products? It’s just odd she singled out hummus.
    Exactly. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    Re: the hummus thing, I always found it weird it wasn't on my restricted foods list because when I was pregnant with my daughter there were like 3 hummus recalls for listeria! But maybe it was just a bad year for hummus? I don't know!
  • Options
    @maureenmce that's probably when she changed her opinion on it - it was never on her list before!
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @runrinserepeat Interesting! I'm so curious to see if my OB's list has been updated at all. Yeah, when I was pregnant with DD there were a bunch of hummus and ice cream recalls for listeria (it did put me off hummus a bit, but uh, I did not stop eating ice cream, haha.)
  • Options
    Omg I completely forgot I have ice cream in the freezer. Yayyyyy! Thanks for reminding me!
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    You're hiring them to be your doctor, not a parent! So, their advice is just that; advice! 
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    Yeah, apparently I'm not allowed to eat hummus this time around? She's so strict about all the rules, and I'm over here like, "yeah....sure...."
    I totally read that as "I'm not allowed to eat humans this time around?" Hahahaha, I was watching Bones earlier...
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    texas_t said:
    You're hiring them to be your doctor, not a parent! So, their advice is just that; advice! 
    Yes, you’re doctor works for you!

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My friend in Australia is due in November and her doctor told her not to eat leftovers(!). Like, wha?? I mean, sure, if they've been hanging around for a week or so, or they were left on the counter all night. But I wouldn't eat that as a non-pregnant person. If I couldn't eat leftovers, I wouldn't have lunch most days!
  • Options
    Ime, less than before. 
  • Options
    @ay-eff that’s crazy! As if pregnancy exhaustion isn’t enough we’re now expected to make each and every meal fresh and not have leftovers? Nuh-uh 

@runrinserepeat I’m definitely with everyone else to trust yourself and what your body can handle. I’m guessing by your username that you also ran a lot before pregnancy so your body is probably really used to it which is also a factor. I feel like doctors have to be overly cautious and CYA in case of the rare event something happens...

@maureenmce I’m with you on the sushi thing. Before pregnancy I had it about once a week from the same place for several years and I’ve never once have gotten sick so I see no issues with the occasional sushi while pregnant especially if I keep my consumption of high mercury to a minimum. 
  • Options
    Kind of along @texas_t ‘s question regarding caffiene. *TW mentions early loss* I have given up caffiene 100% since before we started TTC this last month. The month before I had cut back to one cup of coffee a day or 2 cups of green tea a day and then I ended up having a chemical pregnancy and was paranoid about everything I’d done over the previous month so I gave up caffiene and my occasional glass of wine (like once a week) I was having while TTC. Of course now I’m pregnant again and made it past the point I did last month. I know the CP probably had nothing to do with the caffiene but I can’t get out of my head about it. I know 200mg is supposed to be ok but I just wonder that if more than that can double your chances of miscarriage doesn’t it seem like 100mg could give you a 50% increased chance or something?

ok the reason I’m asking is that I’m absolutely dying of exhaustion and I really don’t know if I can make it through my workload for the next two months without an energy boost. Can someone speak to what my crazy paranoid pregnant brain is debating? Do you think there is still a small risk of caffiene affecting things or is your understanding that less than 200mg has no effect? I’m really torn. And really tired.  
  • Options
    @nerdeebird

Although it is difficult to assess the risk of spontaneous abortion with caffeine consumption, most of the data do not suggest an increased risk of adverse pregnancy, fertility, or neurodevelopmental outcomes with caffeine consumption of 300 mg/d or less from all sources. Therefore, consumption of 1 to 2 cups of coffee a day is not expected to be a concern.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3625078/
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    Idk if it helps. I think it’s hard to day, but March of dimes and acog both agree less than 200 is safe. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga