May 2017 Moms

Nursery Thread

Re: Nursery Thread

• I love all the photos!! We are currently converting our garage into livable space (office space) so we can get convert hubby's office into a nursery! However I plan on refinishing an old dresser into a changing table and taking my glider out of the box!!! :)
    Me- blocked Fallopian Tube, and Endometriosis (31) & DH 0% morphology (44)
    June 2013- Married in Jamaica and started TTC 
    August 2014- (temp everyday and opk and clomid used 5 cycles)
    September 2015- Hysterscopy and Laproscopy, fixed one tube, and couldn't fix one.  Removed polyp. 
    October 2015-  1st IUI - BFN
    December 2015 - 2nd IUI  - BFN
    June 2016 - IVF Consultation
    July 2016 - Start IVF Process
  • I just had to share! We are looking at houses and need to be out by the end of March, but I just purchased the glider we have been looking at! We found one that we loved at Babies r Us but its so expensive, and exclusive to them! But, we've been keeping an eye out on some that are similar on wayfair and overstock, and today they had is on sale for 50% off! So, we went ahead and purchased it because that's such a great deal! Now we just need to figure out where it will go in the meantime...along with our stroller haha

I was going to post a picture, but its being dumb and I just don't have the patience right now haha so here's the link https://www.wayfair.com/Lainey-Kids-Wingback-Chair-and-a-Half-Rocker-DA6735-DRIA1332.html?ds=56988&refid=TEM_WF_262&mmid=638557644&csnid=24B6FD80-78C2-4187-997E-FDBF484145FD&libra_c=&libra_d=&libra_g=&cltr=.

We have different thoughts about what the rest of the nursery will be, and have pinned a ton of stuff on pinterest! A lot of which has been shared already! I definitely want a corner for the chair that has a tree painting on the wall with shelves within the branches for books, like a little reading nook. :) We, also, want to put a sign up that says "all the places you will go" near that area. The picture with the wood planks on the wall is exactly what we want to do! Maybe not the entire wall, but at least a little section that may have the babies name on it or something. So many ideas!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Loading the player...
  • edited January 2017
    @Jkp7749  Is that the Davinci Jenny Lind crib? We love that thing.  It so much deeper than other cribs, which is nice (1) because DH and I are tall; and (2) I felt like it would be harder to crawl out of.  We are using it as a toddler bed w/ a generic rail right now.

ETA: I swear I know how to spell crib (not crip).

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot one of them is! My cousin asked us if we wanted hers, and we gladly accepted since that's the crib I wished I had gotten with DD. However, I didn't realize it was a couple inches taller and we bought the other jenny lind from BRU and it is about two inches shorter. I don't want to go fork out the money for the other since they look exactly the same but I wish they were the exact same height! 
  • Okay, so cute! I officially feel like I'm slacking. I did start picking out prints though..
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Am I crazy that we aren't doing a nursery yet? 

I figured that baby will sleep in our room in the bassinet for the first 6-8 weeks or so. We are also planning on buying a house this summer so I HATE to do a nursery and then tear it down 2 months later. 

Most importantly, our only spare room is very small and currently serves as guest/music room. It has a futon for a friend who visits us once every few months, keyboards, 2 bass guitars and my son's electric guitar and amps. He 9, takes lesson weekly and spends a ton of time in that room!  
  • @nda_roxybabe , I have such a hard time with wall prints! I can't wait to see your Wes Anderson masterpiece! :-) 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • You guys are great! The only thing that we have done is that I made MH move the rocker into the living room last night. Now to get DD's toys organized to make room for the crib and new dresser. 
  • @fbmandy55 nope, not crazy.  Your baby won't sleep in his/her nursery for a while.  I wouldn't do one either if I was moving.  As it is, we're waiting on major home renovations to be able to do the nursery because a guest room is more important to us (especially when the baby is born and my mom and MIL will likely come visit to help out).  I doubt we'll have the crib set up before mid-June.
  • @fbmandy55 Definitely not crazy! This is our first baby and I LOVE decorating, planning, organizing. I'd like to transition baby into their room when I go back to work at 8 weeks and I know I'm not going to feel like working on the nursery once baby is born.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @fbmandy55 , TOTALLY not crazy! Especially since you are moving. I'm not a FTM, but we plan to use the nursery for things other than sleeping (clothes storage, changing table, toy storage, spot to rock her at night if she's having a rough time and DH needs to work the next day, etc). We've also been using the nursery to help introduce my 2.5 yo DS to the idea that the house is about to change (he's been sharing toys and books and we've been spending time in there talking about it). We also plan to transition her fairly early to her room, which I know isn't the most popular opinion, but we already know it's likely what will happen before I go back to work after 12 weeks. I'm also just the type of person that feels really uneasy when things aren't done, so getting the nursery done is really a help for my sanity. :-) 
  • @fbmandy55: No, you're not crazy for not doing a nursery, especially if you plan on moving. You'd want to decorate/layout the actual space you end up with, I totally get it. I'd be the same way! However, here's two quick things to think about: 1, you might not know exactly how you'll feel postpartum re decorating/purchasing furniture, in terms of motivation/energy/actual time to devote to making these decisions... so giving some thought to these things ahead of time wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing (but that's just the planner in me!) (plus, I try to be an advocate to true postpartum care and would love to see women take the time they really need to heal and bond and go easy on themselves and not take on too much too soon); and 2, when we bought our house, the looking/searching/touring/deciding/buying/closing process took a LOT longer than I originally assumed. I wouldn't want you to put off decorating a room, waiting on a new house, when it could still be a year down the road from now... but it's finding that balance, right? Not doing too much upfront, but not waiting until having moved somewhere else. I don't envy anyone in the midst of homebuying/renovating/moving whilst pregnant, and there seems to be a bunch on this board! I def wish you luck!
  • Agreed with everything that @SKZW says! It's definitely not necessary to set up the baby's room ahead of time, just make sure that you have realistic expectations for what you may or may not want to do after the baby is born. I know that for me, the first 6 weeks or so with baby was a rough transition and there is no way I would have wanted to deal with organizing all of baby's stuff and making decisions on furniture during that time. Having a spot for everything to be put back in at the end of the day helped me not feel like the baby was totally taking over my life/personal space and helped me retain a few shreds of sanity. It's a person to person thing, though. You do what's right for you! 
  • Not crazy @fbmandy55! We closed on our house a month before DD was born but chose not to move in until she was 2 1/2 weeks old and I did 0 to the nursery until then, other than buy a crib bedding set and a couple decoration pieces. You'll have plenty of time. Like @SKZW stated, as long as baby has a safe place to sleep, that is all you need. Once you find a home, you can get the nursery set up.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I want to get the nursery set up for this LO already... decorate, move his clothes in, etc, but DD is still using the crib. She has her new room already set up with a twin bed, furniture and all the clothes/shoes that she doesn't fit into yet. All the stuff that she currently uses is in the nursery with her. Since LO won't need a crib for 3-4 months after he's born, I want to keep DD in the crib until then. I don't want a second crib because she'll be almost 3 at that point. 

Anyway, I don't know whether to move the crib to DD's new room with all of her stuff, just move her stuff to make room for LO's stuff in the nursery but keep her in the crib in there, or just wait to do it all after he is here and we are ready to move DD to her new bed, but then where do I put his stuff? Thoughts?
    Married 8/27/2011

• MollyandDMollyandD member
    edited January 2017
    I really want soft colors for my boy's room. It seems like there are so many bright colors or navy blues everywhere, and it doesn't say "baby" and "calm" to me. I like the bedding in the photo I'm posting, but I wouldn't go as over the top on the theme as the picture. It's from an advertisement. 

• I'm the opposite I like the bright colors and I remember when my son was little he was drawn to the bright stuff and contrast so I think I'll go with something not too soft this time. 

I am am having trouble picking any idea because I really don't want a feminine room at all. No pink or purple or flowers or butterflies or whatever. We were team green last time and I still love his room so I think I might go very neutral again. His room had light greens, navy, and pops of bright colors and while my MIL thinks it's actually girly it makes me happy. There was no real theme but all of his wall art is brightly colored puppy pictures and I am so stuck on them I can't think of anything else. 

We are also moving a month or two after the kid comes so that always makes it tricky too. After all this blathering I'm probably going to end up buying 90% of everything from PBK again (best. Blackout. Curtains. Ever) or Land of Nod. 

I need caffeine. Holy word vomit. Can you tell I just had my a/s and found out the sex yesterday? Haha. 

May '17 labor memes
  • vrj0522 said:
    I want to get the nursery set up for this LO already... decorate, move his clothes in, etc, but DD is still using the crib. She has her new room already set up with a twin bed, furniture and all the clothes/shoes that she doesn't fit into yet. All the stuff that she currently uses is in the nursery with her. Since LO won't need a crib for 3-4 months after he's born, I want to keep DD in the crib until then. I don't want a second crib because she'll be almost 3 at that point. 

Anyway, I don't know whether to move the crib to DD's new room with all of her stuff, just move her stuff to make room for LO's stuff in the nursery but keep her in the crib in there, or just wait to do it all after he is here and we are ready to move DD to her new bed, but then where do I put his stuff? Thoughts?
    @vrj0522: Have you talked with your DD about having a big girl bed? It seems like the bed's already all set up; does she know it's for her? You may find that having that convo with her will help you to answer all these questions. If she's on board with moving to the other room (even if it's sooner than you'd like!), maybe take the leap together and let her run with it! It could be a fun new adventure!

When my son transitioned into a new bed, it was before his 3rd bday and we thought there'd be a few naps/nights of him wanting to crawl back into the smaller one... but he surprised us and loved his new bed from the first moment! He took ownership of it and ran with it. You might be pleasantly surprised too.  :) 
  • vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited January 2017
    @SKZW - I haven't tried to talk about it yet but that's not about idea to at least explain to her that she is getting a new room. She just turned 2 in October so I'm not ready to transition her, especially because we still struggle getting her to go to bed and down for naps. Occasionally we still have to let her cry it out for a few minutes so I feel like moving her to a big bed now could really become a problem. I want to keep her in the crib at least until August so that maybe by then I can reason with her a little bit better and get her to stay in bed. 
    Married 8/27/2011

• KipperooKipperoo member
    edited January 2017
    I am completely terrified of moving my son out of his crib and into a toddler bed. He'll be 2.5 next month and he still sleeps in a sleep sack, which he loves and has accepted as part of his bedtime routine. I don't really think those will work with a toddler bed, although he can kind of scoot around in them still. He did recently start requesting to be tucked in with a blanket, so I think he's getting close to making the mental transition. He sleeps and hangs out in his crib SO well (like 7-7 every night) and the thought of that ending makes me very sad and overwhelmed. I think we'll set a mental goal of age 3 to get him transitioned to a toddler bed and try not to worry about it too much until then.  
  • I definitely wouldn't rush the crib to bed transition.  We moved DD at 2.5 because bedtime was getting difficult with the crib and we knew we'd start potty training around then.  At the time, we were still rocking her to sleep.  We told her that if she laid down in her crib and fell asleep, we'd get her a big girl bed.  Once she started doing that, we took the side off her crib and for some reason she's slept soooo much better.  She recently regressed a bit and usually ends up in our bed sometime in the middle of the night 1/2 the time.  I need to move her to twin bed so we can put the crib in the nursery so I've started talking to her about staying in her bed all night so she can move to the bigger bed and we've perused the bedding aisle to pick out a sheet set.  It's starting to work again.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Kipperoo said:
    I am completely terrified of moving my son out of his crib and into a toddler bed. He'll be 2.5 next month and he still sleeps in a sleep sack, which he loves and has accepted as part of his bedtime routine. I don't really think those will work with a toddler bed, although he can kind of scoot around in them still. 
    @Kipperoo: I love the sleep sacks! Did you know there are ones that you can cuddle around the feet still as a sack but they include foot-holes in case they want to stick out their feet? Much safer.

Product Details
  • @SKZW, I have seen those but forgot about them! My son actually outgrew length-wise all of the ones I could find commercially, so I had someone custom make some extra long ones for him (the extremes we go to for a solid night's sleep, lol). But maybe those foot ones are a good idea to help when we transition him to a toddler bed. He seems to love the ritual of climbing into his sleep sack every night.  
  • @SKZW and @Kipperoo We just got DS one of those with feet a few weeks ago. It is awesome and huge! I think he could wear this until middle school lol and it comes in a bigger size from the one we got. We will continue to use them when he transitions to a twin bed. We don't pull his feet out right now when he is sleeping, but if we get him up without taking it off him we can pull his feet through and the sack drapes like a dress. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Kipperoo my son sleeps in that walker sleep sack every night. They run really big so I'm sure it will fit your toddler. I made some slits in the arm holes to make them larger because they were a little small. Also I saw they were on sale on Amazon last week
  • @diann21: when do you anticipate completion/move-in? I see the stairs in the pic, too; is the nursery on the first floor, or...?
  • @SKZW this is part of our addition. It's on the second floor, directly above our living room. The stairs will go to a room-in-attic, mainly for storage space. We're currently living in the "front half" of the house. :)

DH is doing it all himself in his free time, and he said tonight that his goal is to have the nursery part drywalled and painted by March (fingers crossed). He literally just finished framing today. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I need a good glider that's not $600. Anyone have recommendations?
  • @champhe: I just looked here at the Babies R Us page of gliders and there's a bunch of options listed for $300. They usually have floor models that you can try in store. My other thought is to try Craigslist. A lot of people buy nursery furniture brand-new just to unload it a year later, and you can usually find a good deal that way. Good luck!
  • @champhe  check the baby gear thread, there was some talk about gliders =)

• I do like this version of The Darjeeling Limited better though and I just love this Life Aquatic one.

1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @nda_roxybabe I used the Ikea Ribba frames in my son's room and half of the shipment arrived broken so definitely order early and give yourself some time. Also the prongs hurt my fingers so I recommend using the backnof a butter knife to pry them open. Otherwise I really like them, good pick. 

Open question: is anyone else doing a completely non girly room for a girl? I pinned all my plans and realized it's probably a boy's room by any other standard but I like it. Just wondering what else people are doing. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @WombThereItIs , my daughter's nursery is turning out far girlier than I had anticipated (ended up with quite a bit of pink and floral). BUT I love neutral nurseries and have kept the furniture/bigger investment items non-girly in case I get sick of the girly touches. I picked a grey paint with a little hint of purple and the rest of the "big" items are grey/natural wood/white. With my son, I transitioned his room a little when he turned 1 and then again at 2--the neutrals as a base (grey walls, black and white furniture, etc) made the transition really easy. Switch out the wall art and the bedding and it's like a whole new room!

So, basically I'm saying that I'm pro not doing a girly room for a girl. I think what's most important is that you will be happy spending a lot of time in there and it feels like an extension of your overall home and sense of style. 
  • I have the DaVinci Jenny Lind on my registry and seeing it get some love on here today makes me even more excited about it.