October 2014 Moms

Breastfeeding Links & Talk

Re: Breastfeeding Links & Talk

• savagek7 said:

Um. When my LO gets frustrated while nursing, he bites me... Not cool...

Do you have an oversupply? He might be trying to stop the flow.

If you're able to watch for signs that baby is about to bite, you can preemptively gently insert a clean pinky into the corner of his mouth to break the latch. If he's still hungry, you can relatch and keep an eye out for the biting signs.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • While I do want more than 20 oz in the freezer, I think 100oz is plenty as backup/emergency. I'm stashing maybe 2 ounces per day. I'm just pumping one side for 5-10 minutes while dd nurses on the other side.
    I will double pump at work to maximize use of my pumping time.

An ounce per hour was never enough for dd1. Even with paced feeding,etc, she took 12 oz from 4.5-5.5 mo and 15oz from 5.5-11 months (then dropped a bottle to 10oz per day).
    I'll be starting with 5 3 ounce bottles for this one and see how it goes.
    I pumped 4-5x/day to keep up with dd1 (one side in am, every 2-3 hours at work, and in the evening if necessary).

This is great. I just have the general recs, no appropriate personal experience. My DS refused bottles and took just one oz while I was away at work every day. A nightmare (I had no idea at the time that there were alternative feeding methods to bottles). I pumped 3x per work day and probably went home with about 12-20oz, very little of which was used.
    imageimage
  • While I do want more than 20 oz in the freezer, I think 100oz is plenty as backup/emergency. I'm stashing maybe 2 ounces per day. I'm just pumping one side for 5-10 minutes while dd nurses on the other side.
    I will double pump at work to maximize use of my pumping time.

When you say you stash 2 ounces per day, do you freeze it right away in that amount or keep it in the fridge until you pump another 2 ounces to combine and freeze a 4 ounce bag?

I've just started working on my freezer stash, and so far I only pump once per day and yield 2 ounces. I've already frozen two 2oz bags so far, but a friend of mine suggested waiting to freeze until I had 4 ounces pumped going forward. I just have no idea how much DS eats in a session since he's been EBF so far.
  • Medela nipples made baby have a very shallow latch :( I was using lansinoh natural wave (sample) but wanted to use ones that were compatible with the pump.
    Fail.
    Have others had good/bad experience with medela nipples?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Medela nipples made baby have a very shallow latch :( I was using lansinoh natural wave (sample) but wanted to use ones that were compatible with the pump.
    Fail.

Did you try the Medela Calma nipple? We've only given DS a bottle twice so I can't speak to any noticeable latch issues with it, but it might be worth a try. It's kind of expensive, though.
    Fail.

Did you try the Medela Calma nipple? We've only given DS a bottle twice so I can't speak to any noticeable latch issues with it, but it might be worth a try. It's kind of expensive, though.
    No - I will look into it!

• LO goes to grandma's since I'm back at work and is bottle feedin BM. Today he took 2 6oz bottles. We made sure she understood paced feeding and was doing it right. Is that too much? He's 7 weeks today...
  • jbuck909 said:

LO goes to grandma's since I'm back at work and is bottle feedin BM. Today he took 2 6oz bottles. We made sure she understood paced feeding and was doing it right. Is that too much? He's 7 weeks today...

Yes. Total amount not so much if you were gone 8-9 hours or more, but most bf babies take smaller bottles (3-5oz) more frequently.
    She gave him 2 3oz bottles each time. His last bf was 630 and I bf'd again at 530. But this was all before 330. What's a good idea of what he should be eating in this time frame?

• I was having a lot of pain with my right pump flange and couldn't figure out why. I know my fit is good and never had discomfort until I went back to work and started pumping more. Today I realized that I have the beginnings of a varicose vein right where the top of the pump flange hits.

It is causing pinching and aching during and aftet pumping. Any suggestions or is this a weird thing that could only happen to me?

I have that too but didn't know what it was. I thought it was a milk tunnel (for lack of better word) because it seemed to get more pronounced when LO ate.
    Fail.

I believe this is the reason we struggled so hard with breastfeeding. The LC at the hospital put me on nipple shields right away after 5 minutes of helping me. If I had known better I wouldn't have done this. I used the madela shields the first few weeks then weaned off. She constantly bites and it's rare she gets a deep enough latch. After weeks of pain and blisters for my sanity we have transitioned to EP.
  • So I'm currently sitting in a salon chair gettin' my hair did. I've been here for over an hour already, color is processing, and I expect to be here another hour or so (I have a lot of hair). I've never been away from LO for this long of a stretch before. DH is with him, and I left two 2oz bottles of pumped milk to feed him while I'm away (it's already been 2 hours since his last nursing session). I figured as soon as I get home I'll pump to replace that feeding. Is that an okay way to go about this? My boobs are tingling right now because usually I'd be nursing him at this time. I'm very new to this whole pumping thing and don't want to screw up my supply somehow!

• So I'm currently sitting in a salon chair gettin' my hair did. I've been here for over an hour already, color is processing, and I expect to be here another hour or so (I have a lot of hair). I've never been away from LO for this long of a stretch before. DH is with him, and I left two 2oz bottles of pumped milk to feed him while I'm away (it's already been 2 hours since his last nursing session). I figured as soon as I get home I'll pump to replace that feeding. Is that an okay way to go about this? My boobs are tingling right now because usually I'd be nursing him at this time. I'm very new to this whole pumping thing and don't want to screw up my supply somehow!
    You'll be fine. Just pump when you get home. A one-off away from LO for a few hours won't affect your supply, especially if you keep it to under 4-5 hrs and pump when you get home. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Can birth control affect supply? I started on the mini pill on Monday and DD has been crying at my breasts all day and pulling my nipple back with her when she unlatches constantly. My breasts have been soft all day and now I'm worried that somehow my supply is being affected even though it's only been a few days. 
    Married 8/27/2011

• All of the Q&A has been fantastic. I've learned so much. Thank you!

Although I think that I've read the whole thread, I'm not sure if I've come across any discussion on antiperspirant. I understand that some ingredients should be avoided when breastfeeding. Is this something that is a legitimate concern or just something that has such a minimal impact that is not really an issue?

I did find some info online but wanted to hear from this group. Is anyone avoiding certain antiperspirants? If so, what alternatives are you using?

Thanks
  • AmyG* said:

vrj0522 said:

Can birth control affect supply? I started on the mini pill on Monday and DD has been crying at my breasts all day and pulling my nipple back with her when she unlatches constantly. My breasts have been soft all day and now I'm worried that somehow my supply is being affected even though it's only been a few days. 

Yes there is a small percentage of women who have supply drop with the mini pill.

This happened to one of my friends. She had a huge drop in supply from the mini pill.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Any suggestions for weaning from a month nipple shield? DS was in the NICU and had to be bottle fed for a while. He is BFing with the shield well but I would like to wean him from it. He has latched well a few times but won't if he is at all upset. He's almost 6 weeks old
  • JessAnnJ said:
    vrj0522 said:
    Can birth control affect supply? I started on the mini pill on Monday and DD has been crying at my breasts all day and pulling my nipple back with her when she unlatches constantly. My breasts have been soft all day and now I'm worried that somehow my supply is being affected even though it's only been a few days. 

Yes there is a small percentage of women who have supply drop with the mini pill.

This happened to one of my friends. She had a huge drop in supply from the mini pill.
    Today has been beyond frustrating because I do think my supply is being affected and I've only been taking it since Monday. 

I've been pumping and freezing 2-3 oz after our morning feeding for the last few weeks. The last couple of days LO has been still hungry in the evening so I've given her that morning's pumped milk and pump again, yielding about an ounce, which is less than what she is taking. Well, today at my morning pumping session, I only got 1 ounce and LO just drank it because she was still hungry. I don't know what I'm going to do this evening if she is still hungry after her evening feeding. I guess I might start going through my stash but this now feels like a losing battle. I've been tempted to quit at every feeding today. I really don't know how much longer we'll go although I really wanted to go longer than I did with DS (4 months). 
    Married 8/27/2011

• @vrj0522‌ she stopped the pills and had to supplement some and it took time and effort but she did bring her supply back up. I'm sure the experts here will have better advice.

Hopefully baby is just going through a growth spurt and things go back to normal tomorrow. Fingers crossed for you.

• I'm seriously bumming and in a funk today. I discovered after thawing some breast milk from my freezer stash last night that I have high lipase levels and the BM not only has a funky odor but a nasty taste. I pumped this morning and put in the fridge to test how long it takes for the lipase to affect it. After 3 hours it smelled fine but already tastes worse. I am so bummed. I don't have a job where I have time to pump, scald, and Cool every time I have to pump. I am seriously feeling depressed that I will most likely have to FF when I go back to work. I guess I can feel good that I get to EBF for the first 12 weeks.
  • hecklet said:
    I'm seriously bumming and in a funk today. I discovered after thawing some breast milk from my freezer stash last night that I have high lipase levels and the BM not only has a funky odor but a nasty taste. I pumped this morning and put in the fridge to test how long it takes for the lipase to affect it. After 3 hours it smelled fine but already tastes worse. I am so bummed. I don't have a job where I have time to pump, scald, and Cool every time I have to pump. I am seriously feeling depressed that I will most likely have to FF when I go back to work. I guess I can feel good that I get to EBF for the first 12 weeks.
    Oh no! I'm sorry! But I agree, 12 weeks is nothing to feel bad about. :) 
    Married 8/27/2011

• Okay, so I just got AF. Could this be the cause for the dip in my supply? And also, is it a permanent dip unless I reverse it or will my supply come back at some point (given if it isn't the mini pill what's causing the dip)??
    Married 8/27/2011

• @hecklet‌ so sorry! That sounds super stressful and frustrating :(

Did baby refuse the milk?

• hecklethecklet member
    edited December 2014

@hecklet‌ so sorry! That sounds super stressful and frustrating :(

Did baby refuse the milk?

@MrsCunningham22‌ thanks! :((

@MrsSarahRenee‌ he refused the bottle with milk I pumped and froze from 11/16 and took the milk I froze from the same day(yesterday).

I'm going to keep trying and hope not all is lost but I'm feeling defeated and sad already.
  • Okay, so I just got AF. Could this be the cause for the dip in my supply? And also, is it a permanent dip unless I reverse it or will my supply come back at some point (given if it isn't the mini pill what's causing the dip)??
    Yes. And yes your supply will rebound in a day or two. Calcium and magnesium supplements can help prevent the dip (kellymom has details on amounts).
    Good to know. Thanks! 
    Married 8/27/2011

• vrj0522 said:

vrj0522 said:

Okay, so I just got AF. Could this be the cause for the dip in my supply? And also, is it a permanent dip unless I reverse it or will my supply come back at some point (given if it isn't the mini pill what's causing the dip)??

Yes. And yes your supply will rebound in a day or two. Calcium and magnesium supplements can help prevent the dip (kellymom has details on amounts).

Good to know. Thanks! 

What @theresat858 said! Avoid supplementing if you can, and just nurse more often. If it's just hormonal from AF, your supply will go back up over the weekend, most likely. If it's due to the mini pill, your supply won't rebound and you may need to consider an alternative form of BC. A small percentage of mothers do note a decrease in supply with the mini pill. FX this is just AF playing her tricks!
    imageimage
  • Pumping question - I have started to pump more often to build up my stash for when I go back to work in January. I see that some people pump for 15-20 minutes. Generally after 5-10 minutes, I am no longer getting any more milk. Should I continue to pump through that lull? I have tried to keep pumping for another 5 minutes or so but nothing comes out and I usually get frustrated and quit. For the most part, I pump in the morning and 2 other times throughout the day after LO is done nursing. I looked on Kelly mom but I still feel like I have so many questions about the correct way to pump and maximize output without causing huge oversupply issues.

• hecklethecklet member
    edited December 2014

@hecklet another bumpie had this problem and made it work while working. She wrote a post about it here: https://sdbfc.com/blog/2012/9/4/battling-and-resolving-excess-lipase-in-breastmilk.html#.VIJSKYo76nM

I don't think she's on tb much these days. @NeenyW‌.

@theresat858‌
    I did see this blog and thanks for the PM. I responded. I am a dental hygienist and schedule my patients 6 months in advance sometimes more. I have 30 minute blocks in my schedule to pump. All the steps to scald would add at least 10 minutes to the pumping routine. Plusalso we don't have s freezer at work- so the whole ice bath thing would be challenging unless I brought a cooler to work with me everyday.

My DH was able to successfully feed DS a bottle of frozen BM tonight. We will continue to do this everyday to make sure it's not an issue. I don't know if I can stomach feeding my little guy milk that tastes like vomit- even if he doesn't seem to mind.
  • rosalie12 said:

Pumping question - I have started to pump more often to build up my stash for when I go back to work in January. I see that some people pump for 15-20 minutes. Generally after 5-10 minutes, I am no longer getting any more milk. Should I continue to pump through that lull? I have tried to keep pumping for another 5 minutes or so but nothing comes out and I usually get frustrated and quit. For the most part, I pump in the morning and 2 other times throughout the day after LO is done nursing. I looked on Kelly mom but I still feel like I have so many questions about the correct way to pump and maximize output without causing huge oversupply issues.

If you don't want to cause oversupply and are just trying to build a stash, what you are doing is fine (though personally I would limit it to once a day or you may end up with a supply such that you are chained to the pump).
    When pumping to replace a feeding, 15-20 min is best to try to get at least 2 let downs. Pressing the letdown button on the pump when milk stops flowing may help. Pumping after nothing comes out signals a supply increase.
    Thank you again @theresat858‌ & @crawford411!! I will try the letdown button again.

• I'm 2 months out and generally have wet nursing pads overnight from the breast I haven't nursed last.

Yesterday though, my left breast leaked and wet the pads between almost every feeding. What might that signify, especially since it's just one side? Is there something I should do or change?

Thanks!!!
  • I've started pumping once per day for my freezer stash. Do I need to pump every day now, or is it okay to skip pumping once in awhile?
  • I'm 2 months out and generally have wet nursing pads overnight from the breast I haven't nursed last.

Yesterday though, my left breast leaked and wet the pads between almost every feeding. What might that signify, especially since it's just one side? Is there something I should do or change?

Thanks!!!

It's normal and often occurs either right after a growth spurt, fussy day or a day when LO may have nursed more on that breast than usual, or alternately on a day when LO nurses a bit less than usual on that side. Sometimes it's a mini oversupply that will self-regulate, or its a bit of engorgement from less nursing. Not a big deal and most moms don't do anything about it.
    imageimage
  • I've started pumping once per day for my freezer stash. Do I need to pump every day now, or is it okay to skip pumping once in awhile?

Are you getting as much as you'd like per pumping session for your stash? If so, I'd pump just as much as you want and not worry about it otherwise. If you're not getting much and want to increase your supply for a regular extra pump, in that case you might want to pump consistently.
    imageimage
  • Cantisa said:

alfibet said:

I'm sorry if this has been asked, I did a search and nothing came up :( but the milk I store in the fridge is sticking to the bottle when I pour it into a bottle I'm feeding LO with. (Storing in medela bottles that came with my pump, feeding with tommee tippee) I try swivling (sp?) the bottle to try and get the fatty stuff stuck on the sides off, but it doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get it Out? Thank you!

Run under hot water!
    I've been doing this but then wondered if it was still ok to freeze it after running hot water over it.
  • AmyG* said:
    vrj0522 said:
    Okay, so I just got AF. Could this be the cause for the dip in my supply? And also, is it a permanent dip unless I reverse it or will my supply come back at some point (given if it isn't the mini pill what's causing the dip)??

Are you sure you are taking the minipill?  Usually it doesn't encourage af to return, but the regular pill often does kickstart your period.

Do you have any improvement in supply? did you contemplate stopping the pill?

A high calcium and magnesium supplement can offset the drop that comes with hormone fluctuations of AF.

I just looked it up to make sure and it is the mini pill. I think it was my period which caused the big drop because yesterday my supply was better and we haven't had any issues today of baby being hungry after a feeding. It seems like my supply is either coming back or it already did. Definitely plan on getting supplements to avoid another drop.

Thanks ladies for your help and for helping me feel better over the last few hard days! 
    Married 8/27/2011

• Has anyone taken antibiotics while BFing? I was prescribed Zithromax because I have had a terrible cough and they think I have a bacterial infection causing drainage. I've coughed to the point of throwing up and it has been keeping me up at night. Anyway, I was told it's safe for BFing and I had to take it while pregnant when I had strep. But, I'm wondering if antibiotics have affected anyone's supply. The pharmacist and doctor have only really provided information on safety. I'm afraid to google because I'm sure I'll find all kinds of crazy things.

• @JessAnnJ‌ What Amy said. You can also always call the Infant Risk Center with questions about any medication and breastfeeding: (806) 352-2519

Feel better soon!
    >:D<
    imageimage
  • Thanks @Emerald27‌ and @AmyG*‌ . I hate taking antibiotics but coughing myself to sleep for an hour isn't fun either. Thanks for the reminder about probiotics.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"