October 2014 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Links & Talk

edited October 2014 in October 2014 Moms
Links to articles/sites/posts about breastfeeding will be posted here!

Also, it may be valuable to post BF related questions in this thread so that all the Q&A reside in one place.  Easy reference!

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Mastitis symptoms and helpful treatments to stop it worsening: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Mastitis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

Re: Breastfeeding Links & Talk

• Options
    Ok I got one.

I struggled with supply with my DD. So, I preemptively ordered some fenugreek. Should I start taking it now or wait and see how it goes before using that and the mother's milk tea I have?

image         image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. You guys are the best.

image         image

• Options
    Any advice on how to get my DD off the nipple shield? She fights so hard when I don't use it. She will get am awesome latch suck 3 or 4 times and then wiggle off. Other times she will latch and then doesn't suck or just "nibbles". She gets so mad and it gets harder and harder to get her

She also sucks in her bottom lip. I'm working on seeing a lactation consultant but I was just wanting to do what I can up until I can see someone.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am running low on fumes and really need to get a longer sleep stretch than 2 1/2 hours. Our breastfeeding relationship is going really well and tomorrow LO is three weeks old.
    Would it be that terrible to introduce a bottle for at least one feed now? Would that really confuse her that much at this point?

Introducing a bottle now might not confuse baby, but your milk supply is still being established, so for any feeding you replaced with a bottle, you would need to be pumping at that time...and with all the work that goes into pumping, you might as well just nurse baby.

Is there anyone who could help you while baby is not nursing so that you can get some extra rest? If you can shower and nap when baby isn't nursing, even just for part of the day during the day, that might make a huge difference in how you feel.

And take heart! They don't nurse every 2.5 hours forever. The stretches between feedings will lengthen (until they grow or teethe or hit a milestone, lol)...and they also become more and more efficient, until feedings take 5-10 mins or so.
    imageimage
  • Options
    @Cantisa I know a woman that ended up using a sterile needle and popping the blister. 

;

• Options

Ladies I love all the info being provided and an outlet to ask questions since we all know or are finding out that breastfeeding isn't easy. I would like to ask for where all your knowledge comes from though lol I'll still take advice but I am wondering how you stockpiled all this knowledge!

Personal experience. And lots of training and research and reading. And helping many mothers. I still look up a lot of things too...part of my training included where to find answers and who to turn to when you can't find them. ;)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited October 2014
    @Cantisa‌ Are these blisters on the tips of your nipples? And do they hurt? Treating them with warm compresses, especially just before nursing, can help a lot. You can hold the warm washcloth against your nipple for a couple minutes before nursing, then nurse to see if softening it with the heat helped remove it. If it's still there, you may be able to gently rub it with the washcloth to help remove the thin covering of skin, or even use your fingernail. Then nurse again or pump.

You can express some milk onto your nipples after nursing and clearing the blister, and allow them to dry in the open air. This will help them heal. You could also ask your OB or pedi if some all purpose nipple ointment (APNO) might help, and they can prescribe it for you.

Here are some helpful resources:

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&id=76:all-purpose-nipple-ointment-apno&Itemid=17
    imageimage
  • Options
    Just got done feeding Grace and realized that over the last 3-4 feedings I have had a whole new kind of nipple pain but just on one side. It keeps getting worse every time I feed her. It's not general soreness but like her tongue is made of sandpaper and it's just scratching and scratching. Also, I noticed what looks almost like a little tiny scab on that nipple. And it hurts to touch it. Any idea of what that could be?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    LO is 1 week old. Milk came in fast and I had a great supply. She would nurse about 40 min and she eats every 3 hours or before if she shows hunger cues. We have a good latch, I think because I'm not in pain and nipples are fine. Our biggest issue was her choking on my let down sometimes. It seems the past 2 days my supply has dropped. My breasts are more soft and easier for her to empty fast. She's done in half the time now. I am no longer uncomfortable and she doesn't choke either. Can my supply really regulate this soon? Or am I loosing my supply already? I worry as she's SGA so I need to be really sure that she's getting enough and gaining.

• Options
    edited October 2014

LO is 1 week old. Milk came in fast and I had a great supply. She would nurse about 40 min and she eats every 3 hours or before if she shows hunger cues. We have a good latch, I think because I'm not in pain and nipples are fine. Our biggest issue was her choking on my let down sometimes. It seems the past 2 days my supply has dropped. My breasts are more soft and easier for her to empty fast. She's done in half the time now. I am no longer uncomfortable and she doesn't choke either. Can my supply really regulate this soon? Or am I loosing my supply already? I worry as she's SGA so I need to be really sure that she's getting enough and gaining.

What are LO's diapers like? If she's having an average number of quality poops per day, and if her weight gain is normal, then you know you have an adequate supply for her.

Breast softness and shorter feeding duration are not signs of low supply. It's not outside the norm to regulate that fast, and some moms never experience engorgement. If you're concerned, though, just offer to nurse a bit more frequently and spend some time every day skin to skin. :)

ETA: It could actually be that you have a bit of an oversupply, so LO is filling up fast. Keep an eye out for fussiness at the breast.
    imageimage
  • Options
    So lots of burping and spit up... signs of over supply? DD gets a bit choke-y while eating sometimes. The the poor thing spits up and it even comes out her nose. We burp between sides and after too.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited October 2014
    sabby2 said:

So lots of burping and spit up... signs of over supply? DD gets a bit choke-y while eating sometimes. The the poor thing spits up and it even comes out her nose. We burp between sides and after too.

Normal. And doesn't usually bother them. Some babies spit up a lot! And often the burps come from taking in air as they latch or from fussing during the pre-feeding diaper change or while waiting for the breast.

You might have a forceful letdown or oversupply, both of which are very common early on and will typically regulate between 4 and 6 weeks. As long as baby nurses happily/comfortably and is not bothered by the spit up, there's no need to take steps to reduce your supply.

ETA: if baby is uncomfortable or you are frequently engorged, you could try some block feeding a few feedings per day, that is, nurse from just one breast per feeding.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm paranoid! My colostrum is easy to hand express, so that means LO is getting it right? I forgot to pay attention to her two poop diapers today to see if she has urinated.
  • Options
    This is probably irrational, but DS wants to eat like every hour from 4-9 or so, then every 3 hours at night. I honestly can't tell when I'm empty, so how do I know he's eating enough? He likes to comfort nurse, so I'm never sure how much he's eaten. He has a TON of wet diapers though (12 today) and a couple dirty ones daily. So that means he's getting enough, right? He regained his birth weight after a week and we have no latch issues. I think I'm just being paranoid.
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Options
    @MrsCunningham22‌ You are doing exactly the right thing, and your LC is correct. :) It is good to allow baby to finish one breast before offering the next, and many young babies only take one breast per feeding.

Block feeding usually involves nursing from just one breast for an additional feeding before switching to the next. I didn't explain that correctly, sorry. Here's some helpful info about oversupply and block feeding, with some alternative tips for how to help baby manage milk flow:

https://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/2013/10/9/block-feeding-dos-donts.html
    imageimage
  • Options
    DS has thrush and now I am having a lot of pain nursing where as we were practically pain free before that. Could this be related? 
     image image
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I've developed thrush on my nipples :( I've left a message for my dr. But anyone know much about it? Don't know what to do :/
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 IAmPregnant Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 BabyFetus Ticker}
  • Options
    My mastitis seems to be clearing up (fever is gone, breast is less tender, less red), but when DS first latches on that nipple I now get shooting pains for the first few seconds. It was sore before it got infected but now just the nipple seems worse. The other side is fine.

Is this just something that will continue to improve as the mastitis clears or is this another issue?
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    So LO is an amazing sucker and latcher, but my nipples don't stay out long enough for him to maintain the latch. :( my nipples were basically completely removed and moved during my breast reduction surgery, and the LC said there's a chance I may not be able to breast feed.

I feel terrible because he's soooo good at his part; even the geneticists complimented his rooting and desire to suck EVERYTHING during his exam, but my nipples are failing. I pumped for 20 min today to try and work the nipples out, and I'll keep doing that and hope it helps. We are also going to try a nipple shield tomorrow.

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.

• Options
    I know that AF negatively affects supply, but is that just during her visit?

Or is that once your cycle returns, supply is permanently decreased?
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    @golfingdarwinfish‌ Best of luck!!

Pumping may help a lot. You can also use a syringe to try to draw out your nipples, or buy a one specially-designed just for this task. The LC may have access to one for you:

https://www.maternalconcepts.com/index.pl?p=products/evert-it&id=e4

You may want to try laid-back breastfeeding (ask the LC to help) which uses gravity to help baby get a deep latch. This position is great for moms with small or inverted nipples, because it allows baby to get more breast tissue into his mouth.

Also, if it's recommended that you supplement, you can ask about using an SNS (supplemental nursing system) or at-breast supplementer so that your breasts are stimulated while you supplement.

T&Ps for you and baby!
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    CNJ4EVA said:

I know that AF negatively affects supply, but is that just during her visit?

Or is that once your cycle returns, supply is permanently decreased?

Just during her visit. It's a temporary minor drop in supply. Some moms don't notice any supply difference at all around ovulation and their period. Other moms report more frequent nursing or pumping a bit less than usual a few days before ovulation and/or their period. But it's temporary and won't harm baby, your supply, or your nursing relationship. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

@golfingdarwinfish‌ Best of luck!!

Pumping may help a lot. You can also use a syringe to try to draw out your nipples, or buy a one specially-designed just for this task. The LC may have access to one for you:

https://www.maternalconcepts.com/index.pl?p=products/evert-it&id=e4

You may want to try laid-back breastfeeding (ask the LC to help) which uses gravity to help baby get a deep latch. This position is great for moms with small or inverted nipples, because it allows baby to get more breast tissue into his mouth.

Also, if it's recommended that you supplement, you can ask about using an SNS (supplemental nursing system) or at-breast supplementer so that your breasts are stimulated while you supplement.

T&Ps for you and baby!

@Emerald27‌

We discussed the SNS today after the nipple shield left me in tears, but I still haven't even seen any moisture from my nipples. :( I am going to rent a hospital grade pump and try pumping a few times a day for a week or so and see if that helps the milk come out at all. I'm also going to keep offering him the breast with every meal so he doesn't forget about it, and use the slowest possible nipples with formula to keep him from getting used to the fast flow. Right now he's gulping down 30cc in a quarter of the time he would be at the breast, and we don't want him to get frustrated at the breast if if starts suddenly working.

imageimage

• Options
    Speaking of nipple shells ... I have a question re: these and collecting leaks. I have Medela Softshells - the ones with a removable foam insert to catch leaks. The Medela Softshells look a lot like the Avent Comfort Breast Shells which are used for collecting excess milk. I use them to keep shirts and bras off the nipples when wearing a shirt, but was thinking maybe I could catch the leaking milk that comes out when breastfeeding from the opposite side. The package instructions say to NOT collect the milk and use it w/ the foam inserts. But they do not say anything about collecting and using the milk WITHOUT the inserts. I was wondering if there's any reason to not do this (I would boil the shells and backs for sterility). 
    photo 98826c1d-49e9-4f18-a2a8-311206877833_zps1c1ec21a.jpg
  • Options
    Had my appointment with the LC today. Of course dd preformed perfectly while we were there. She has NEVER latched, stayed latched, and eaten an entire feeding before without a nipple shield and OF COURSE did it on the first try today. Thanks kid... making a liar of your mom already.

Then later she pulled her usual fussing and refusal to latch and eat without the shield when I fed her 3 hours later when we were long finished at the LC visit.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I GOT TWO DROPS OF MILK FROM MY RIGHT BREAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope this is a good sign?!!!?

I JUST got the hospital grade pump, so it was over 24 hours since I last tried, which I know absolutely sucks.  I am going to increase our skin-to-skin time (it was basically non existent), pump every 3 hours when he feeds to continue momentum, and increase my water intake.  

Is there anything else I can do?
    Yayyyyy!!!!!! Milk!!!!!! Sounds like what you're doing is perfect. Make sure you're getting enough calories too.

During the day, you can pump more frequently than every 3 hours, if you like. Skin to skin is perfect; you can also hold baby skin to skin while you pump, or put baby to the breast if possible and pump the other side.

I'm so so happy for you! Keep up the good work!
    imageimage
  • Options
    sabby2 said:

Had my appointment with the LC today. Of course dd preformed perfectly while we were there. She has NEVER latched, stayed latched, and eaten an entire feeding before without a nipple shield and OF COURSE did it on the first try today. Thanks kid... making a liar of your mom already.

Then later she pulled her usual fussing and refusal to latch and eat without the shield when I fed her 3 hours later when we were long finished at the LC visit.

How frustrating!! I promise you're not the only mom whose baby was perfect for the LC. :)

Were you able to get some helpful tips from the LC anyway? Think about what was different in the room - were you sitting straighter or more reclined than at home? Was it cooler or warmer in the room? Did you put her to the breast before she was hungry or after she was showing cues? Maybe there's a real reason she did so well at the appt, and it wasn't just the LC being in the room. ;)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Amy that's a Good point . Think I'll just get the Milkie's or the avent to be safe.
    photo 98826c1d-49e9-4f18-a2a8-311206877833_zps1c1ec21a.jpg
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    I GOT TWO DROPS OF MILK FROM MY RIGHT BREAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope this is a good sign?!!!?

I JUST got the hospital grade pump, so it was over 24 hours since I last tried, which I know absolutely sucks.  I am going to increase our skin-to-skin time (it was basically non existent), pump every 3 hours when he feeds to continue momentum, and increase my water intake.  

Yayyyyy!!!!!! Milk!!!!!! Sounds like what you're doing is perfect. Make sure you're getting enough calories too. During the day, you can pump more frequently than every 3 hours, if you like. Skin to skin is perfect; you can also hold baby skin to skin while you pump, or put baby to the breast if possible and pump the other side. I'm so so happy for you! Keep up the good work!
    @emerald27  thanks for the reminder re: food - I haven't been hungry at all!  We did a bit of skin to skin, and when he realized where he was he started opening his mouth wide and seeking out the nipple.  I feel so bad because he clearly knows his role and my breasts just don't want to cooperate!! 

imageimage

• Options

Emerald27 said:

Yayyyyy!!!!!! Milk!!!!!! Sounds like what you're doing is perfect. Make sure you're getting enough calories too.

During the day, you can pump more frequently than every 3 hours, if you like. Skin to skin is perfect; you can also hold baby skin to skin while you pump, or put baby to the breast if possible and pump the other side.

I'm so so happy for you! Keep up the good work!

@emerald27  thanks for the reminder re: food - I haven't been hungry at all!  We did a bit of skin to skin, and when he realized where he was he started opening his mouth wide and seeking out the nipple.  I feel so bad because he clearly knows his role and my breasts just don't want to cooperate!! 

Has he had any more luck latching well?
    imageimage
  • Options
    How much pumped milk should I be feeding a 4 day old? She can run through 2 oz easy, but I'm scared I might be over feeding her. She's getting spitty...
  • Options

How much pumped milk should I be feeding a 4 day old? She can run through 2 oz easy, but I'm scared I might be over feeding her. She's getting spitty...

You may find some helpful information here:
    https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/exclusive-pumping/

Are you EPing or supplementing? I might offer an ounce and reserve the second for if baby isn't satisfied after the first.

Also, the feeding technique called "paced bottle feeding" can prevent overfeeding and most closely mimics breastfeeding. Here's some info on paced bottle feeding to get you started:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"