October 2014 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Links & Talk

Re: Breastfeeding Links & Talk

• Options
    sabby2 said:

Ok breastfeeding gurus. What do you think this is?

Since last Friday I've had some pain in my right breast. I noticed it first in the morning because I was really engorged thinking it was from that or a clogged duct.

It remained even after dd nursed and I pumped that morning. It the turned into this sharp, stabbing, pinching feeling in my upper breast toward my armpit and was so painful only when I would move certain ways that it took my breath away.

Now, several days later I'm still having pain but it feels more like my nipple hurts today. The top part of my breast felt a little numb yesterday and I occasionally still get that really sharp stab/pinch near my armpit if I'm engorged and roll over on my side or reach for something.

I don't feel any lumps or hard spots and I can't see any red areas. I'm wondering if it's maybe thrush? Can you get that only on one side? Nipple nerve damage?

I know I just need to call my ob probably and get this figured out but thought I would see if it sounds like anything you've all come across before.

There are so many different things this could be. Is the pain getting worse, about the same, or better? Do you frequently experience engorgement in that breast? Does the pain lessen during or just after nursing?...or does nursing worsen your pain?

If you're concerned about thrush, Google "kellymom thrush" to read about other signs and see if that might be what's going on...doesn't really sound like it, though. But you may read about symptoms you didn't realize we're symptoms, so it's worth ruling it out.

My guess would be either a plugged duct deep enough within your breast that you don't feel a lump, or referred pain from a pulled muscle, or strain from poor posture. Sometimes pain in your breasts can come from strain somewhere else.

Definitely talk to your OB to try to get to the root of your pain and solve it. Good luck!
    imageimage
  • Options
    AmyG* said:
    Remember, boobs aren't supposed to stay hard and full all the time!  It's normal for them to feel pretty soft as you go further into this breastfeeding thing.  Most of the milk is made as baby demands it --breasts are milk factories rather than just being milk storage facilities.
    This makes me feel so much better! Thanks for the reminder

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    For LO's last feed before bed, she often will stay on the breast for 45-60 min. I doubt she can really be eating the whole time, but she will be sucking periodically. If she is not actually nursing to eat at that point, will her periodic sucking be signaling the breast to produce more? In other words, should I take her off the breast or just wait until she unlatches?

Thanks!
  • Options
    keelyd said:

I have a bed-sharing/side lying nursing/dream feeding question: how do you make sure LO takes both sides when they only sleep on one side of you during the night?
    DS was eating away in his sleep on my right side, while my left side was feeling overfull. I ended up just moving myself to an upright position and grabbing the boppy so I could give him some time on the left, but am wondering if I'm missing something.

I just lean over slightly and offer the "top" breast. :)

Here's some kellymom guidance on nursing both breasts without flipping over: https://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/lactation-yoga/
    imageimage
  • Options

For LO's last feed before bed, she often will stay on the breast for 45-60 min. I doubt she can really be eating the whole time, but she will be sucking periodically. If she is not actually nursing to eat at that point, will her periodic sucking be signaling the breast to produce more? In other words, should I take her off the breast or just wait until she unlatches?

Thanks!

This "tanking up" behavior is normal and has to do with everything from it being more work to nurse in the evening (lower prolactin levels) to wanting extra closeness and snuggles before bed. You can unlatch LO, but it's likely that she would prefer to be nursing and will cue hunger. And she may be hungry if she's activly nursing throughout this time. Many moms choose to let LO nurse until she unlatches herself, so that they know that LO is getting enough milk and comfort. Others experiment with unlatching and just snuggling, and see if LO is happy.
    imageimage
  • Options
    jeniece47 said:

DH and I either both came down with a stomach bug or we have food poisoning. Can I still breastfeed DD? Is the milk I have pumped today ok for her to drink or do I need to dump it? Symptoms are stomach cramps, diarrhea, and now vomiting.

What Amy said. :) Breastfeeding during illness helps prevent mom (or anyone else) from passing it to baby. Here's some more info for you:

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/mom-illness/
    imageimage
  • Options
    jeniece47 said:

Thank you ladies!

Feel better! :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    DH and I went out to dinner tonight and left LO with his grandma. About a half hour before we got home she fed him a 2 oz bottle of pumped milk. He wasn't satisfied, so when we got back I put him on the boob. He ate for 15 minutes before unlatching, took a break to be burped and changed, and is now feeding on the other breast. Will I still need to pump them tonight since he did take that bottle right before I nursed him?
  • Options

DH and I went out to dinner tonight and left LO with his grandma. About a half hour before we got home she fed him a 2 oz bottle of pumped milk. He wasn't satisfied, so when we got back I put him on the boob. He ate for 15 minutes before unlatching, took a break to be burped and changed, and is now feeding on the other breast. Will I still need to pump them tonight since he did take that bottle right before I nursed him?

That's entirely up to you! Some mothers like to pump at least what LO took from a bottle, so in this case 2oz. Other mothers will say that this was just a one time thing, and they'll let it go. Do what makes you feel most comfortable. If you'll worry if you don't pump, pump. If you're tired and would rather just snuggle your babe, snuggle. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    @Emerald27 I love that answer. >:D<

Thank you!
  • Options
    So...DS has this new habit of just sitting at my nipple and licking it with his tongue. Then he smiles at me like he's so proud about it. I can't help but be a little weirded out by this. Thank goodness hes so dang cute
  • Options
    hecklet said:

So...DS has this new habit of just sitting at my nipple and licking it with his tongue. Then he smiles at me like he's so proud about it. I can't help but be a little weirded out by this. Thank goodness hes so dang cute

Haha! Babies are so silly. That's very cute.

If it bothers you, you can change it. Just gently move him away and maybe engage him by having him look at you and making faces or something.

If it doesn't bother you, that's great too! It's just silly baby sweetness. They're so affectionate and cute!
    imageimage
  • Options
    @hecklet I'm literally laughing out loud at your post. That is too cute and funny! I showed my husband but he wasn't as amused. Men just don't understand! :))
  • Options
    DD is 10 weeks and will no longer nurse without the nipple shield. Uuugh. She was doing ok without it but I started using it again when my nipples got sore from bad latch. I was really hoping to take my last 2 weeks of maternity leave to really stop using the shield. I'm so discouraged. I'm scared that she will start taking more bottles and won't want to breast feed. I don't really want to EP because I just can't see how I could make it work with my job.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    sabby2 said:

DD is 10 weeks and will no longer nurse without the nipple shield. Uuugh. She was doing ok without it but I started using it again when my nipples got sore from bad latch. I was really hoping to take my last 2 weeks of maternity leave to really stop using the shield. I'm so discouraged. I'm scared that she will start taking more bottles and won't want to breast feed. I don't really want to EP because I just can't see how I could make it work with my job.

Will she take the breast without a shield when she is very sleepy or during the night? Just keep trying your shield-weaning strategies (see "weaning from the nipple shield" https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/ ). It can take time and patience to change breastfeeding habits. ((Hugs))

Have you solved the underlying cause of LO's shallow latch?
    imageimage
  • Options
    @Emerald27 we haven't yet. I've been busy with Christmas stuff and preparing for back to work and a new job so haven't made an appointment with the LC yet. I need to.

We will keep working on it. I am sort of convinced that the shield is somewhat responsible for the pain in my right nipple and breast too.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have a sensitivity to cashews and didn't register that something I ate had cashews until I felt my throat getting raw. (It usually wouldn't be a big deal and I don't go out of my way to avoid them when not pregnant). Although eating nuts doesn't impact a child's allergies, I'm worried about continuing to breastfeed while the cashews are in my system. I don't want to trigger any reaction in LO if he has any sensitivities already. I've read something about proteins staying in your system for 24 hrs. I was thinking of pumping and dumping until tomorrow as a precaution and using formula in the meantime. I feel like such a jerk now that I've read that it is recommended to avoid tree nuts while BF :(

Does anyone have any knowledge around tree nuts, allergies & breastfeeding? The last thing that I want to do is run the risk of an allergic reaction for LO.

Many thanks
  • Options

sabby2 said:

Your work pumping schedule should be the same if you are EP or just pumping at work...the difference is if you nurse baby at home or pump for feedings at home.
    I guess what I meant was that as a nurse I don't see how I will even be able to pump more than once in an 8 hour shift.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    sabby2 said:

sabby2 said:

Your work pumping schedule should be the same if you are EP or just pumping at work...the difference is if you nurse baby at home or pump for feedings at home.
    I guess what I meant was that as a nurse I don't see how I will even be able to pump more than once in an 8 hour shift.
    It might help to keep a manual pump with you and to take a few minutes here and there throughout the day to pump as you can. The stimulation will help keep up your milk supply. One pumping session in 8 hours will be tough...would be better if you could manage a second, but in lieu of that, using the manual pump will suffice. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited December 2014

I have a sensitivity to cashews and didn't register that something I ate had cashews until I felt my throat getting raw. (It usually wouldn't be a big deal and I don't go out of my way to avoid them when not pregnant). Although eating nuts doesn't impact a child's allergies, I'm worried about continuing to breastfeed while the cashews are in my system. I don't want to trigger any reaction in LO if he has any sensitivities already. I've read something about proteins staying in your system for 24 hrs. I was thinking of pumping and dumping until tomorrow as a precaution and using formula in the meantime. I feel like such a jerk now that I've read that it is recommended to avoid tree nuts while BF :(

Does anyone have any knowledge around tree nuts, allergies & breastfeeding? The last thing that I want to do is run the risk of an allergic reaction for LO.

Many thanks

Have you breastfed since you ate the cashews? How much did you eat? Do you have a family history of this sensitivity, or is it just you who has it?

It is probably just fine to continue breastfeeding LO. Keep an eye on his diapers for odd-looking stool, and be on the lookout for unusual fussiness. If anything like that occurs, maybe LO has the same sensitivity. It's highly unlikely that he will have a reaction based on you eating a small amount of something YOU are allergic to. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks @Emerald27‌. It was a bowl of soup made with cashews. I haven't breastfed since having the soup. I only realized that I had a sensitivity in the last 1.5 year when I noticed that I would get a sore throat after having homemade cashew milk. (Not sure if it runs in the family). Certainly not a severe allergic reaction but it got more noticeable every time that I had the nut. The idea of the very small risk of anaphylactic shock has me freaked out so I will wait until the morning to BF when I can keep a close eye on things (as opposed to going to sleep wondering). It's incredible that there isn't more conclusive information on children and nut allergies out there ( at least from what I found searching the Internet).

• Options
    Do foods that make you gassy like fiber bars actually make baby gassy too?? I eat a fiber bar every day and geez this kid has so much gas!! It's not painful gas but he wakes up grunting so much in the am. Would meds like colace or Metamucil make them gassy as well? I stopped taking them when lo has some painful gas issues weeks ago. The pediatrician said I could keep taking them but he seems to tend to blow things off quickly. I don't want to make the kid gassy but mamma needs to poo too!

• Options
    Jennyc00 said:

Do foods that make you gassy like fiber bars actually make baby gassy too?? I eat a fiber bar every day and geez this kid has so much gas!! It's not painful gas but he wakes up grunting so much in the am. Would meds like colace or Metamucil make them gassy as well? I stopped taking them when lo has some painful gas issues weeks ago. The pediatrician said I could keep taking them but he seems to tend to blow things off quickly. I don't want to make the kid gassy but mamma needs to poo too!

Gassiness is a pretty normal and unfortunate part of being a baby. The belief that foods that make mom gassy can also make baby gassy through her milk is a myth.

Foods that make mom gassy, and supplements like colace and Metamucil will NOT make baby gassy. Your milk is made from your blood, not from the foods you eat, so only the parts of food that are present in your blood stream (like proteins, nutrients, etc.), will pass to LO.

Your milk isn't so directly connected to your digestive system that these foods could affect LO this way. The reason they make YOU gassy are fiber content and the gasses they produce during digestion. None of that goes to LO.
    imageimage
  • Options
    @Jennyc00‌ If you're concerned that LO is more gassy than is normal, or if you note any other symptoms (like reflux), follow your instinct and ask your pedi. The most common causes of gassiness are immature digestive system (normal and all babies get gas because of this), shallow latch (babies take in air as they nurse with a shallow latch), and crying.

Working to get the best latch possible, burping baby frequently, and attending to baby as quickly as possible when he cries, may help lessen his gas. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    While emerald is the expert, in my own experience cruciferous vegetables really messed with Dd. This is just anecdotal but it happened with a dinner and then leftovers a few days later. It was the only thing different in my diet. @Jennyc00‌
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married 11/5/11
  • Options
    @crawford411 I wanted to ask you something because I saw on another thread that you can pump like 11 oz or some crazy high number! I can't find the thread now. But how do you keep your output up while at work? Anyone else can answer too. The most I've ever gotten is 3 oz from the overachiever. I'm just trying to prepare for when I go back to work. Tia. :)

• Options
    rosalie12 said:

@crawford411 I wanted to ask you something because I saw on another thread that you can pump like 11 oz or some crazy high number! I can't find the thread now. But how do you keep your output up while at work? Anyone else can answer too. The most I've ever gotten is 3 oz from the overachiever. I'm just trying to prepare for when I go back to work. Tia. :)

I'm not crawford, but I wanted to chime in that 3oz from one breast is exceptional output for one pumping session. It's above average.

Most breastfed babies will take about an ounce of milk per hour, sometimes a little more. So if you're pumping to replace a feeding, you would, on average, yield about 3-4oz total (not per breast).

Every mother is different and respond differently to breast pumps. Some will get .5oz at a pumping session, others will get 6oz or even 10oz! As long as you're pumping within the normal range, which you are, there's nothing to worry about.

Maybe crawford has some special secret to pumping lots of milk that she can share. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    @emerald27 and @crawford411 - thank you so much for the tips & info! I've just heard horror stories about people returning to work and supply going way down. I just want to do everything I can to try to keep BFing her. I'm glad that I'm in the normal range for pumping, I was starting to think that it was low! I guess I'm just worrying about leaving her to go back to work for many reasons, and this is one of the biggest reasons. I'll keep in mind about the membranes for sure, too. :) I just bought some on Amazon!

Also good to know about more pumps more often. I just bought a hand pump and am going to try it today to see how it works. I saw emeral suggest this earlier in the thread. I was thinking I could get away for 5 or 10 minutes here or there to get a quick pump in between longer sessions with my PISA. Thanks for the advice!!

• Options
    Any ideas why LO is refusing one breast now? It's not the supply so I'm not sure what it is. She starts to get upset as soon as I try to position her to feed on that side. We've had a lot of problems anyway, falling asleep at Feedings, tongue/lip tie revisions, no success, supplementing, CST, etc...now add this. The chiropractor moved her head in one direction, opposite the side she seems to favor...wonder if she hurt her? That was Thursday and she seemed to start this up a couple days ago..thanks!
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Options

Any ideas why LO is refusing one breast now? It's not the supply so I'm not sure what it is. She starts to get upset as soon as I try to position her to feed on that side. We've had a lot of problems anyway, falling asleep at Feedings, tongue/lip tie revisions, no success, supplementing, CST, etc...now add this. The chiropractor moved her head in one direction, opposite the side she seems to favor...wonder if she hurt her? That was Thursday and she seemed to start this up a couple days ago..thanks!

If it started after the chiro adjustment, she might be sore? I would call and ask for sure.

Could she have an ear infection or cold/head congestion? That's another common culprit.

Try some different positions, especially football hold and laid-back. Also maybe try nursing on that side in her sleep (dream feeding), during the night, or when she is just drowsy. Sometimes babies "forget" that they were objecting to something about nursing when they're sleepy, and that can help them move past their objections sooner.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Emerald, now she's not really nursing on either side :( I guess I'll pump and give her a bottle. I'll definitely try the dream feeding later though
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Options
    How long does it take for dairy to no longer be present in breast milk? I started a freezer stash but am going to have to throw it out. I was wondering how many days I need to wait after eliminating dairy from my diet before the breast milk is clear. I have been pumping once a day when she sleeps through the night as my freezer stash so I have three weeks to build it back up, depending on when it should be free of dairy
  • Options
    cmcookaln said:

How long does it take for dairy to no longer be present in breast milk? I started a freezer stash but am going to have to throw it out. I was wondering how many days I need to wait after eliminating dairy from my diet before the breast milk is clear. I have been pumping once a day when she sleeps through the night as my freezer stash so I have three weeks to build it back up, depending on when it should be free of dairy

I'm no expert, but I was told by LC that it takes 2 weeks before I would see a difference in LO. My LO was having some major gassiness. LC suggested possibly trying dairy/ soy free.

• Options
    cmcookaln said:

Some mothers note a difference in LO within 48 hours of cutting out dairy. But like PP suggested, it usually takes about 1.5-2 weeks for it to clear your system.

Instead of throwing out your stash, could you donate it through Eats on Feets or Human Milk for Human Babies? Also, it's nice to have a stash when returning to work, but don't stress too much. As long as you have enough for the first day back, you'll be ok. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I was going to research and see if there was anywhere in the area that would take the milk bc I do feel bad for throwing it out. The pediatrician just said to eliminate dairy. She didn't mention anything about soy. Should I wait to see if there is improvement before considering dropping soy too? We go back next week for LO 2 month appt.
  • Options
    DS is refusing the left breast unless he is really sleepy or dream feeding. Should I be pumping every other feed, when he would normally take that side? I don't want to create an oversupply. If I feel engorged, I usually just hand express a little.
  • Options
    cmcookaln said:

I was going to research and see if there was anywhere in the area that would take the milk bc I do feel bad for throwing it out. The pediatrician just said to eliminate dairy. She didn't mention anything about soy. Should I wait to see if there is improvement before considering dropping soy too? We go back next week for LO 2 month appt.

That's up to you. :) I might start with dairy and see if that makes a difference.

Human Milk for Human Babies and Eats on Feets are mother to mother milk sharing. You could try either of those groups to donate your stash.

imageimage
  • Options
    apk4 said:

DS is refusing the left breast unless he is really sleepy or dream feeding. Should I be pumping every other feed, when he would normally take that side? I don't want to create an oversupply. If I feel engorged, I usually just hand express a little.

Have you tried alternate positions, like football hold? Does he have a cold or maybe an ear infection?

I would pump that breast to protect your supply in that breast and to prevent engorgement and plugged ducts. Hopefully his strike won't last too long, so you won't need to worry about oversupply.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

apk4 said:

Have you tried alternate positions, like football hold? Does he have a cold or maybe an ear infection?

I would pump that breast to protect your supply in that breast and to prevent engorgement and plugged ducts. Hopefully his strike won't last too long, so you won't need to worry about oversupply.
    Thanks Emerald.

I think he has a bit of a cold. We go to the pedi tomorrow. It's weird because he will nurse on that side for about a minute and then he just starts screaming. I can rock him with a paci in the same position and he's fine.
  • Options
    apk4 said:

Emerald27 said:

apk4 said:

Thanks Emerald.

I think he has a bit of a cold. We go to the pedi tomorrow. It's weird because he will nurse on that side for about a minute and then he just starts screaming. I can rock him with a paci in the same position and he's fine.
    It could be congestion from the cold, or maybe a forceful letdown? The timing is right for the latter...when he screams, does he pull off or arch his back? Does milk continue to flow from that side when he pops off? Maybe try burping him and offering that side again. Also, laid back breastfeeding.

If it's congestion from his cold, trying various positions can help. Also using the nasal aspirator, and sitting in the bathroom with the door shut while running a hot shower - the warm moisture can help relieve congestion to make nursing easier.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"