October 2014 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Links & Talk

Re: Breastfeeding Links & Talk

• Options
    AmyG* said:

hecklet said:

@hecklet another bumpie had this problem and made it work while working. She wrote a post about it here: https://sdbfc.com/blog/2012/9/4/battling-and-resolving-excess-lipase-in-breastmilk.html#.VIJSKYo76nM

I don't think she's on tb much these days. @NeenyW‌.

@theresat858‌
    I did see this blog and thanks for the PM. I responded. I am a dental hygienist and schedule my patients 6 months in advance sometimes more. I have 30 minute blocks in my schedule to pump. All the steps to scald would add at least 10 minutes to the pumping routine. Plusalso we don't have s freezer at work- so the whole ice bath thing would be challenging unless I brought a cooler to work with me everyday.

My DH was able to successfully feed DS a bottle of frozen BM tonight. We will continue to do this everyday to make sure it's not an issue. I don't know if I can stomach feeding my little guy milk that tastes like vomit- even if he doesn't seem to mind.

Keep in mind that if the milk is being changed by the excess lipase and baby will still take the milk, that it's fine--it really is.  The lipase usually does the work IN baby's stomach, but sometimes they have it in their mouth, stuck to their gums and tongue and it isn't bad.  It's just kinda predigested and it's normal to have lipase do this to milk, we just usually never know about it.

Experiment with type of bottle/bag, cleanliness of pump(more cleaning, more sterilizing) and a bit of temperature, maybe a colder fridge and really check the milk every hour to know when it is totally past it's limit of acceptableness (is that a word?)  Most every mom I know with excess lipase find they can pump at work a couple of times and as long as they scald it as soon as they get home from work it is fine.  I've never heard of a mom with lipase that works so fast the milk is unacceptable that fast.  But I do know some that find if the fridge isn't cold enough or if they use a particular kind of freezer bag the milk seems to be "off" faster. 

Good luck. Worse case scenario you give formula at work and nurse at home.

Yeah I will do all these things. As far as just nursing when baby is home (worse case scenario), you're saying I would just pump at work and discard or donate the milk?
  • Options
    Ok. Don't hat me other mom's. I fed dd at 10:30 last night. We finally got her to sleep at 11:45. I went to bed with an alarm set to get up and pump 6 hour from the last feeding because dd has been giving us 6 hour stretches consistently.

Well my alarm went off and I heard her squirming and grunting on the monitor thinking she was going to wake up and eat so I didn't pump. I fell back asleep because she didn't wake up. The next time I rolled over and looked at the clock it was 8 am making 10 hours since I had breastfed or pumped. So she's eating now.

My question is, if I pump after to make up a missed feeding will my supply be okay? I'm freaked out. The sleep was nice but I care more about my supply and the engorgement was awful.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @keelyd It was a step in the right direction! You'll get there. >:D<
    imageimage
  • Options
    Dealing with a painful plugged duct again. I hate this.

imageimageimage
  • Options

Sucks! Maybe that is why you were reading Vacation Lactation on the main board - you could use a vacation. Feel better!

• Options

Is it in the same spot? Sometimes plugs will recur where clothing constricts (bra band, for example) or something presses. If you can find some external cause, that's easy to fix.

Some mothers find that taking a lecithin supplement helps prevent recurring plugged ducts.
    imageimage
  • Options
    @MrsSarahRenee‌ Lol sign me up!!

@keelyd OMG again?! That's awful! I'm sorry, mamacita.

@Emerald27‌ Yes, basically the same spot. I wore an underwire bra like a dummy a few days ago. That could have been the culprit. Never again! I'm just not a fan of any of my nursing bras. They are all cheap though. Maybe I should invest in a better one. Have any recommendations?

imageimageimage
  • Options
    @Saragoeswest‌ - if you have a nordstrom near you, they will convert any bra to a nursing bra. Might be worth looking into. I'm going to pick mine up tomorrow. Can't remember if the ones I picked out had an underwire tho so now I'm a bit nervous :-SS surely not, right?
  • Options
    @Saragoeswest‌ - if you have a nordstrom near you, they will convert any bra to a nursing bra. Might be worth looking into. I'm going to pick mine up tomorrow. Can't remember if the ones I picked out had an underwire tho so now I'm a bit nervous :-SS surely not, right?

Good to know. Thank you!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    @Saragoeswest‌ Nordstrom was going to be my rec, both for accurate fitting and for having the most comfy bra you can find converted into a nursing bra. I just wear nursing sports style bras from target, or just go with nursing camis.

@drgriffith You may be ok with underwire, if it fits well everywhere and doesn't put pressure on any ducts. Feel regularly behind the underwire to make sure no plugs are forming, and if youre returning to work, consider removing the bra for pumping. Also, spend some bra free time at home. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    @Saragoeswest‌ I have a sleep bra from target that is super comfy but not one that u would want to go out in public in unless you want everyone to see the nips. I have yet to find a comfy padded nursing bra... Looks like Nordstrom is the way to go
  • Options

hecklet said:

@Saragoeswest‌ I have a sleep bra from target that is super comfy but not one that u would want to go out in public in unless you want everyone to see the nips. I have yet to find a comfy padded nursing bra... Looks like Nordstrom is the way to go

I wear a regular bra at work and just take it off to pump. It is a super comfy wireless one from Target (blanking on brand but starts with B). When I get home, I switch to a nursing tank and sleep in that.
    @crawford411‌
    That's smart! It's not a big deal to have to tasks off the bra to pump though?
  • Options

hecklet said:

hecklet said:

I wear a regular bra at work and just take it off to pump. It is a super comfy wireless one from Target (blanking on brand but starts with B). When I get home, I switch to a nursing tank and sleep in that.
    @crawford411‌
    I take it off anyway because I put on the hands free bra. I'm in a room by myself so I just go topless during pumping except for the pump bra.
    Okay that's my plan too- to use a hands free pumping bra. Trying to get all the logistics down before I head back to work.
  • Options
    hecklet said:

hecklet said:

hecklet said:

@crawford411‌
    I take it off anyway because I put on the hands free bra. I'm in a room by myself so I just go topless during pumping except for the pump bra.
    Okay that's my plan too- to use a hands free pumping bra. Trying to get all the logistics down before I head back to work.
    I wear a hands free bra with the nursing pads covering the nips, under a nursing tank. Its pretty quick that way. But I also have 35 min to set up, pump, disassemble, and get back on the phones...
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    Thanks @emerald27 !! Very helpful
  • Options
    Hi ladies!
    I just found this board after having the bump app for months...and it's so helpful! Anyway, it being 1:30 am and I don't know if there will be any sleep in my near future, I'm feeling the need to vent. I hate BF! DD is 6 weeks, she had a full body harness put on for hip dysplasia at 2 weeks (which caused me to have difficulty doing cross cradle with a boppy on my reclining glider), we saw a LC at 4 weeks to figure out new positions that would work with the harness and make it so she didn't slip off the nipple and hurt me anymore, and it's just really starting to get to me now. The positions worked for a little while but now I'm in pain with slanted nipples after feedings again. My wrists hurt, my back hurts, and no matter how much lanolin I use, my nipples are killing me! She's also been having trouble getting to sleep at night, which is exhausting itself, never mind me being the only one who can feed her, so I constantly have to be available to feed her anytime as soon as she *might* be hungry. Not to mention, I hate pumping...more wear on my nipples, more time spent with something attached to me, not getting as much out as I'd like (LC told me to only pump right after a feeding), and pressure to stockpile before I go back to work. Does anyone else hate it too and want to give up??
  • Options
    @stcoppola12‌ Sounds like you've had a very rough go of it. Kudos for sticking with breastfeeding despite the challenges you're encountering!

What positions did your LC recommend? If they're not working, it sounds like it might be time to discover some others. Maybe visit the LC again or call a LLL Leader for recommendations!
    imageimage
  • Options
    starla487 said:

Are there local milk banks around the country or is just one big national bank? (The Human Milk one.) I have a large freezer stash that we don't really need right now. By the time DD goes to daycare, we'll be hitting the two-three month mark on some of them. I don't want to toss them. But we are maybe supplementing DD once daily with BM from a bottle, and only about 1 oz tops. Righty can spit out 4 oz in 10 minutes. But i pump in order to get rid of engorgement.

Should I just hold on to it or try and give to someone who needs it?

There are local milk banks. Whereabouts (state) are you located, and I'll try to find you a reputable one?

You can also donate milk directly to moms in need via Eats on Feets or Human Milk for Human Babies. Check them out on FB.
    imageimage
  • Options
    stcoppola12stcoppola12 member
    edited December 2014
    @Emerald27‌
    She had me do the straddle and laid back positions. Straddle worked the best but my wrists and back hurt. I've tried sitting in my glider, using a nursing stool, using pillows around me, sitting in a chair from my dining room (which worked great for about a week)...I can't seem to get the laid back position to not feel awkward, I feel like she's suffocating on my chest, plus I couldn't get a good latch so I was in serious pain. This darn harness is the root of it all!
  • Options
    @theresat858‌ I was trying to pump after 2 or 3 daytime feedings but I stopped a couple days ago because it hurt and I was just sick of most of my day being nursing and pumping. You're right, I only need enough for the first day--I'm just nervous and feel like I need to have extra just in case!
  • Options
    starla487 said:

Emerald27 said:

starla487 said:

Are there local milk banks around the country or is just one big national bank? (The Human Milk one.) I have a large freezer stash that we don't really need right now. By the time DD goes to daycare, we'll be hitting the two-three month mark on some of them. I don't want to toss them. But we are maybe supplementing DD once daily with BM from a bottle, and only about 1 oz tops. Righty can spit out 4 oz in 10 minutes. But i pump in order to get rid of engorgement.

Should I just hold on to it or try and give to someone who needs it?

There are local milk banks. Whereabouts (state) are you located, and I'll try to find you a reputable one?

You can also donate milk directly to moms in need via Eats on Feets or Human Milk for Human Babies. Check them out on FB.
    Emerald - YGPM. :)
    Back atcha!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited December 2014

@Emerald27‌
    She had me do the straddle and laid back positions. Straddle worked the best but my wrists and back hurt. I've tried sitting in my glider, using a nursing stool, using pillows around me, sitting in a chair from my dining room (which worked great for about a week)...I can't seem to get the laid back position to not feel awkward, I feel like she's suffocating on my chest, plus I couldn't get a good latch so I was in serious pain. This darn harness is the root of it all!

I can only imagine how frustrating that is. New moms often feel like they need 8 arms just to manage baby, not baby AND a harness! How long will she have to wear the harness?

So typically the straddle position is what moms find works best with a HD harness. Have you tried experimenting with different amounts of pillows behind your back for propping you so that your back doesn't get sore? Some moms also place a pillow between baby's legs.

As far as laid back breastfeeding goes, to avoid the "nose in chest smothering-ness", position her slightly to the side, supported by your arm, so that her nose is free:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The LC should be able to give you some more guidance for getting into these positions. A LLL Leader may be particularly helpful, because many do home visits. It often makes a difference to get positioning help in your own home, on your own bed or sofa or chair (wherever you nurse), because so many moms find that positioning is easy with the LC in their office, but they get home and can't manage it again. Troubleshooting on your couch with your own pillows, etc., may make positioning ultimately easier.
    imageimage
  • Options
    @stcoppola12‌ My LO is 6 weeks today and I had a lot of challenges in the first several weeks. Couldn't get him to latch properly, super painful BF sessions (I cried so much!) and ever-sore nipples. My nipples are still slanted today, although it's not painful anymore. The laid back position is what really saved me from quitting, I think. Like you, I found it awkward at first and couldn't figure it out! But then I read to position yourself on the couch as you'd watch TV: reclined, feet up, relaxed. It just clicked! Things just went up from there and now I can do other positions besides laid back comfortably. The PIP Emerald included above is pretty much how it looked for me when we got it right. Hang in there! :)
  • Options
    @Emerald27‌ and @deezidee04‌ thank you both! Yes, I think an in-home visit would help...I don't have an adjustable hospital bed and another person to prop me up with a million pillows at my house so of course it's going to be different than when I saw the LC! As for extra pillows when straddling, I tried putting my Snoogle behind me but it was just a pain to try and prop it up every time I went to sit down with a crying wiggling baby in my arms too!
    LO hopefully will only be in the harness for 3-4 months but for decreasing amounts of time if all goes well!
  • Options
    So this might be more on the breastfeeding educator side of things, but I thought it might be helpful for those of you struggling with engorgement or plugged ducts. Let me know if you find this at all helpful:

https://lactationmatters.org/2014/12/08/new-strategies-for-relieving-engorgement-tips-and-tools-from-maya-bolman-ba-bsn-ibclc/

Let's see... @Saragoeswest‌ @cantisa @keelyd and anyone else I'm missing...
    imageimage
  • Options

I just wanted to update with good news about my friend who was struggling a few weeks ago - her baby (now 7w) got 2 ounces from the breast the other day and they did just the breast the past two days at home - so it seems things are finally coming together for them after a really rough start.

Yay!! That's great news. Thanks for updating us!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I forget who it was that was also struggling with baby having a tight jaw but we've been to 3 PT sessions, and noticed a huge improvement after just a few days! We do stretches several times a day at home too. I don't think it's perfect yet, but I haven't had to give a bottle or even cut a feeding short because of the pain for almost a week already. For anyone considering trying PT, go for it!
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    Fun new pattern: DD isn't showing any overt hunger cues. She goes from a-okay to screaming like she hasn't eaten in days. She eats at least every 2hrs usually closer to every hour. I try other soothing techniques but once I put her on to eat she sucks down the milk. Not sure if my supply is low or if she is just ravenous. I gave her a paced fed bottle of 3oz of bm at 9:30am and by 10:45am she was hungry again. Thoughts?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married 11/5/11
  • Options
    cmac6186 said:

Fun new pattern: DD isn't showing any overt hunger cues. She goes from a-okay to screaming like she hasn't eaten in days. She eats at least every 2hrs usually closer to every hour. I try other soothing techniques but once I put her on to eat she sucks down the milk. Not sure if my supply is low or if she is just ravenous. I gave her a paced fed bottle of 3oz of bm at 9:30am and by 10:45am she was hungry again. Thoughts?

She's a growing baby. Sounds 100% normal. They just eat like this sometimes. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    keelyd said:

For all the good we had BFing the other day, my boobs feel deflated and DS just seems hungry all day today. I'm feeling a little defeated.

Is it possible he's having a growth spurt? Maybe just nursing nursing nursing will help increase your supply and keep him happier. ((Hugs))
    imageimage
  • Options
    starla487 said:

I feel like I need a flowchart for pumping. The engorgement is getting a bit better, but I'm confused when to "empty" and when to "pump for comfort."

Based on my previous post, creating a freezer storage is not my goal right now. ;)

So based on the following:
    If DD only takes one boob during a feeding, pump other boob to empty? (MOTN only.)

If I'm engorged upon waking, pump for comfort?

If DH gives a bottle, pump both boobs to empty? (We don't usually give more than an oz, so just pumping an oz doesn't feel like much.)

If DD took only one breast at a feeding, she didn't need more milk than what she got, so emptying the other breast completely would continue to tell your body that she needs that much milk. Unless she's completely asleep already, offer the second breast even if she seems satisfied. She may take it and nurse a bit to keep you comfy. When she just takes one breast, pump for comfort on the other.

If you're engorged when you wake up and LO is still sleeping, you can try dream feeding to relieve the pressure or pump for comfort.

Anytime LO gets a bottle, pump both breasts. It's recommended to empty them or at least pump as much milk as baby took in that bottle. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Ok breastfeeding gurus. What do you think this is?

Since last Friday I've had some pain in my right breast. I noticed it first in the morning because I was really engorged thinking it was from that or a clogged duct.

It remained even after dd nursed and I pumped that morning. It the turned into this sharp, stabbing, pinching feeling in my upper breast toward my armpit and was so painful only when I would move certain ways that it took my breath away.

Now, several days later I'm still having pain but it feels more like my nipple hurts today. The top part of my breast felt a little numb yesterday and I occasionally still get that really sharp stab/pinch near my armpit if I'm engorged and roll over on my side or reach for something.

I don't feel any lumps or hard spots and I can't see any red areas. I'm wondering if it's maybe thrush? Can you get that only on one side? Nipple nerve damage?

I know I just need to call my ob probably and get this figured out but thought I would see if it sounds like anything you've all come across before.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @Emerald27 LO took a 2 ounce bottle today from DH. While he fed her, I pumped 2 ounces from the breast that hadn't been nursed on during our last session. Is that ok or should I still have pumped both breasts in this case?
  • Options
    These past couple of days DS has been nursing on only 1 side per feeding. He usually would eat off both sides so I'm not used to this. Should I be pumping the side he doesn't eat on. I feel like this would create oversupply but I also don't want to go 6-8 hours without feeding from one boob. Should I be waking up every 2 hours at night instead of every 4? Ugh... Should I be concerned that he now only takes one side? Of course my mind is racing about what the problem could be, thrush? I feel like I would KNOW if that were the case...
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited December 2014

@Emerald27 LO took a 2 ounce bottle today from DH. While he fed her, I pumped 2 ounces from the breast that hadn't been nursed on during our last session. Is that ok or should I still have pumped both breasts in this case?

That's just fine. :) Try not to worry too much, the older LO gets the less fragile your supply is. You pumped as much as baby took from the bottle, which is perfect.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Baby just woke up. Back later! :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    hecklet said:

These past couple of days DS has been nursing on only 1 side per feeding. He usually would eat off both sides so I'm not used to this. Should I be pumping the side he doesn't eat on. I feel like this would create oversupply but I also don't want to go 6-8 hours without feeding from one boob. Should I be waking up every 2 hours at night instead of every 4? Ugh... Should I be concerned that he now only takes one side? Of course my mind is racing about what the problem could be, thrush? I feel like I would KNOW if that were the case...

Doesn't sound like there is a problem. Sounds like he's spacing feedings a bit more and also just taking one breast. If his diaper output and disposition are good, and if he's gaining well at his appts, then he is getting enough milk. :)

If he nurses on just one side at a time, then that's all he needs. If he's awake, go ahead and offer the second side anyway. You can also dream feed if he's asleep, or pump a small amount to keep yourself comfortable between feedings. Your supply will grow and change and adjust with baby's changing routine and needs.

It's ok! This is how it works. Just follow baby's lead and express as needed to keep yourself comforyable and prevent plugged ducts.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"