Options

Breastfeeding Links & Talk

Re: Breastfeeding Links & Talk

• Options
    Emerald27 said:

apk4 said:

Emerald27 said:

apk4 said:

DS is refusing the left breast unless he is really sleepy or dream feeding. Should I be pumping every other feed, when he would normally take that side? I don't want to create an oversupply. If I feel engorged, I usually just hand express a little.

Have you tried alternate positions, like football hold? Does he have a cold or maybe an ear infection?

I would pump that breast to protect your supply in that breast and to prevent engorgement and plugged ducts. Hopefully his strike won't last too long, so you won't need to worry about oversupply.
    Thanks Emerald.

I think he has a bit of a cold. We go to the pedi tomorrow. It's weird because he will nurse on that side for about a minute and then he just starts screaming. I can rock him with a paci in the same position and he's fine.
    It could be congestion from the cold, or maybe a forceful letdown? The timing is right for the latter...when he screams, does he pull off or arch his back? Does milk continue to flow from that side when he pops off? Maybe try burping him and offering that side again. Also, laid back breastfeeding.

If it's congestion from his cold, trying various positions can help. Also using the nasal aspirator, and sitting in the bathroom with the door shut while running a hot shower - the warm moisture can help relieve congestion to make nursing easier.
    We have had letdown issues on both sides but usually after he pulls off and I squirt some into the burp cloth he is okay. The past two days that hasn't helped.

I've done the steam in the bathroom today and I've used the nasal aspirator. I will try the football hold next. Thank you again!!
  • Options
    @Emerald27‌ He just nursed on the left for 11 minutes!! I kind of propped him up in cradle hold and held up my breast. I've never had to hold it before, but I think it made it easier for him to breathe. Thanks for your advice. My lefty feels much better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why is dd taking LONGER to eat as opposed to getting more efficient? Seriously kiddo, 30 minutes a side is a little ridiculous.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

sabby2 said:

Why is dd taking LONGER to eat as opposed to getting more efficient? Seriously kiddo, 30 minutes a side is a little ridiculous.

Did you just return to work? I noticed that Sunny was suddenly spending A LOT more time at the breast in my first few weeks back to work. I'm sure it was just comfort sucking. If this is the case, try to be patient. It doesn't last forever and those snuggles might just be what both of you need!
    Nor yet. I go back next week. It might just be comfort because I notice it more when she fights me to stay down for a nap.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    sabby2 said:

sabby2 said:

Did you just return to work? I noticed that Sunny was suddenly spending A LOT more time at the breast in my first few weeks back to work. I'm sure it was just comfort sucking. If this is the case, try to be patient. It doesn't last forever and those snuggles might just be what both of you need!
    Nor yet. I go back next week. It might just be comfort because I notice it more when she fights me to stay down for a nap.
    Absolutely may be comfort, especially if you're nervous about returning to work. She's sensitive to your feelings and might know something is up, so she wants to be close to you for extra snuggles.

Could also be another growth spurt. ;)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm heading back to work fulltime tomorrow.  DD has been at daycare for 1/2 days (7a-1pm so far this week.  I pumped during the times I would have available at work (5:50am before I leave and I fed DD also; 8:45am; 12:00p; 2p).  I got just enough to cover her feedings until 1pm.  I hoped the 2pm would have been extra for a stash because I already got into it to get her started on Monday and I only have 4oz left in the freezer.  Not feeling optimistic about EBF once the stress of work really begins.  
    :-<
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married 11/5/11
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited December 2014

Is it recommended to pump before leaving to work plus nursing, or will nursing only be sufficient?

Before leaving for work in the morning or before heading home in the evening? Most moms find that nursing as usual when they're at home, and pumping every 2-3 hours when they're at work, is sufficient to pump enough milk for baby while they're away. If you're not pumping enough at work, adding an extra pumping session can help, and if you're not able to practically add in another session at work, pumping in the morning or the evening works too.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Any advice for scheduling feedings around obligations/traveling? DD has a dr appt tomorrow which is an hour or so away...between the u/s and meeting with the dr we'll be in there for probably almost an hour and a half, then we'll be sitting in rush hour traffic on the way home, which will take about 2 hours. Last time we did this, I tried to manipulate her feeding schedule a day in advance so that I could feed her in the parking lot just before (before we made it home she was already screaming to eat again), but now I think she's going through a growth spurt and hasn't been on much of a schedule the past couple days, mostly eating on demand only. I can try and feed her before we leave but if she's not hungry she obviously won't eat...and I don't want to torture the poor kid and make her wait until after her appt! Thoughts? TIA! :)
  • Options
    If it's possible feed while the dr is talking with you after the ultrasound. Isabelle's appointments always seem to be at lunchtime for her and I just feed her in the room waiting for the pedi and then right after the pedi examines her.

Married 11/5/11
  • Options

Any advice for scheduling feedings around obligations/traveling? DD has a dr appt tomorrow which is an hour or so away...between the u/s and meeting with the dr we'll be in there for probably almost an hour and a half, then we'll be sitting in rush hour traffic on the way home, which will take about 2 hours. Last time we did this, I tried to manipulate her feeding schedule a day in advance so that I could feed her in the parking lot just before (before we made it home she was already screaming to eat again), but now I think she's going through a growth spurt and hasn't been on much of a schedule the past couple days, mostly eating on demand only. I can try and feed her before we leave but if she's not hungry she obviously won't eat...and I don't want to torture the poor kid and make her wait until after her appt! Thoughts? TIA! :)

I'd plan extra time so that if she doesn't nurse just before you leave, she has some time to nurse before the appt., even in the waiting room. Then you can offer to nurse just after her appt before you head home. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Does anyone have some tips for dream feeding? I just tried it with DS but he wouldn't rouse for it, no matter how much I tickled his lips with my nipple. Also stroked his cheeks and the bottoms of his feet (with my fingers, not nips, haha). He just kept right on snoozing away!

This was my first time trying a dream feed. I read that doing one between 10 & 11 pm when mom and dad are ready for bed helps baby sleep longer stretches at night. Not sure if this method has worked for anyone here? Last night he was up every 2 hours and he hasn't done that since he was a few weeks old, so I'm just feeling a little desperate for some decent sleep. He's now 7 weeks old. Growth spurt, maybe? :-<

ETA: He slept six hour stretches (11pm-5am) two nights in a row last week, so I know he's capable of going that long!
  • Options
    This is a stupid question...
    Do I have to warm breast milk/bottles for baby? Or is it more for babies who won't take it cold?

Thanks!

• Options
    Thank you @AmyG*‌ @theresat858‌ @Emerald27‌ @cmac6186‌! It's a huge hospital where everything is hustle and bustle so I don't think I'll be feeding her in there unless it's right after. I just get so nervous bc one time I tried to feed her before an appt but she wouldn't eat, halfway there she started screaming so I pulled over to feed her and never made it to the appt. I guess I have to always get everywhere early in case she gets hungry...? Also if she cries in there I'm afraid people are going to judge me for not planning better. Not used to this whole baby crying in public thing yet.
    Sorry--another question! This is what happens when we don't see the ped till March! 7 weeks, 75th percentile for weight, no concerns about intake/output. Would you let her STTN if she will? I usually get her to fall asleep between 12-1245 then she's been sleeping pretty soundly for a while...last night she went 6 hours between feeds and probably would have gone longer if I hadn't woken up myself and heard her grunting and wiggling around in her sleep.
    Ps - one day I'll contribute answers, once I get the hang of this mothering thing!!
  • Options
    @deezidee04‌ If he's waking that often to nurse, he ready does need it. It's really normal (sorry). Might be a growth spurt. Or could be developmental, or maybe he's fighting off a bug. Who knows? The nice thing is that sleep phases like this usually don't last very long. :)

If he won't dream feed, he may be too deeply asleep. Waiting 20 minutes and trying again can help, because you might catch him at a lighter part of his sleep cycle.

There are some, though, kids that just won't do it...or who resist a lot. My DS1 would very easily dream feed anytime, but this LO tightens his lips and furrows his brow and says; "no way!" I usually quietly change his diaper so that he starts to wake up but doesn't wake completely, and then I latch him. He goes right back to sleep, but latched!, so I'm able to tickle him and encourage sucking.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @stcoppola12‌ I always allow extra time for unscheduled stops. I plan for about 5 minutes per stop, and I know my kid's carseat limit, so I add an extra 5 minutes for every chunk of time I think he'll sit calmly. Usually I'll add an extra 10 minutes to a 30-min drive, and if I don't have to stop, I'm 10 minutes early. That's perfect. For an hour drive, I would leave about 30 minutes early (and it would be just my luck that LO would do great on the drive and I'd be 30 minutes early). Lol But that allows time to change a diaper, offer to nurse, put LO in the carrier, and settle in with all my stuff in the waiting room.

Please don't worry about your baby crying. :) People know that babies cry, and crying babies always seem loudest and wildest to mom, whose ears are closest and who is trying desperately to calm her. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, just comfort your baby and care for her as though you and she were the only ones there.

Regarding sleep, if you're filling up and feeling uncomfortable, you can dream feed LO to take the pressure off and prevent engorgement. Or you can let LO sleep and hand express or pump a bit. Nursing on demand ensures that baby is getting the milk she needs.
    imageimage
  • Options

Does anyone have some tips for dream feeding? I just tried it with DS but he wouldn't rouse for it, no matter how much I tickled his lips with my nipple. Also stroked his cheeks and the bottoms of his feet (with my fingers, not nips, haha). He just kept right on snoozing away!

This was my first time trying a dream feed. I read that doing one between 10 & 11 pm when mom and dad are ready for bed helps baby sleep longer stretches at night. Not sure if this method has worked for anyone here? Last night he was up every 2 hours and he hasn't done that since he was a few weeks old, so I'm just feeling a little desperate for some decent sleep. He's now 7 weeks old. Growth spurt, maybe? :-<

ETA: He slept six hour stretches (11pm-5am) two nights in a row last week, so I know he's capable of going that long!

No advice for dream feeding, but wanted to say we are in the same boat. LO was sleeping six and sometimes even eight hour stretches, until a little over a week ago. LO is eight weeks tomorrow. After so many weeks of having good sleep, I thought we were done with this! I'm thinking LO is going through a growth spurt and that's why we're having to feed more at night again. That being said, last night he was back to his usual stretch of 6 to 8 hours sleeping without feeding, although DH gets up to change his diaper once during the night. So I think the good news is that it doesn't last forever.
  • Options
    I'm having a problem with baby's gag reflex. A lot of times she will gag, push my nipple out with her tongue and get a look of disgust when trying latch In the beginning and will refuse to eat. I get worried because I don't think she's getting enough to eat as it is. Sometimes if I wait 10 minutes I can get her to latch and eat a little bit. Any idea why she is doing this?

• Options
    AmyG* said:

Is she getting a forceful spray of milk on the back of her throat at let down?

No. It's usually after I burp her and try relatch. So after letdown.

• Options
    savagek7 said:

Ughhhh the biting... Multiple times a day now, with no warning...

Ouch! Is it at the beginning, middle, or end of feedings? Or is it random?

Beginning: may want letdown to come faster. Try gentle breast massage before nursing to help initiate letdown.

Middle: may be reacting to forceful letdown. Pinching off the flow by clamping down. Hand expressing a bit to move past the forceful letdown can help, as can positions like laid-back and side-lying, which make the flow easier to manage.

End: may be curious and exploring, playful or bored. He's done and just seeing what there is to this boob thing. And if you reacted to biting in an interesting way, he may think that would be cool to see again.

Depending on the cause, different approaches to solving the issue can be taken. Check out this kellymom article regarding biting to see if there's other helpful tips that you find useful:
    https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/
    imageimage
  • Options
    My son just started eating a LOT. He's 7 weeks and from 8:45-11:30 pm he had to eat some like 10 oz!!!! He barely spit up at all. What the?!? The other day he was eating like 2 oz every 1.5hrs. He ate 6 oz of formula earlier in the day so I pumped to make up for it and he ate the 3.5oz I was able to pump as soon as I pumped it. He's not acting sick or overfed or anything... Has anyone else's baby made a huge jump in feeding? He isn't cluster feeding or wanting to be on the boob all day or anything like in previous growth spurts. Should I be concerned with how much he's eating? It seems like a lot for a 7wk old (albeit he's huge but still)
  • Options
    ishknits said:

My son just started eating a LOT. He's 7 weeks and from 8:45-11:30 pm he had to eat some like 10 oz!!!! He barely spit up at all. What the?!? The other day he was eating like 2 oz every 1.5hrs. He ate 6 oz of formula earlier in the day so I pumped to make up for it and he ate the 3.5oz I was able to pump as soon as I pumped it. He's not acting sick or overfed or anything... Has anyone else's baby made a huge jump in feeding? He isn't cluster feeding or wanting to be on the boob all day or anything like in previous growth spurts. Should I be concerned with how much he's eating? It seems like a lot for a 7wk old (albeit he's huge but still)

Are you EPing or offering the breast and pumped milk? That is quite a lot of milk for such a tiny tummy. Make sure you're using the paced bottle feeding method, to ensure that you're not overfeeding by bottle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

ishknits said:

Are you EPing or offering the breast and pumped milk? That is quite a lot of milk for such a tiny tummy. Make sure you're using the paced bottle feeding method, to ensure that you're not overfeeding by bottle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/
    Thanks. I do a combo of BF, pumping, and formula. He loves to comfort suck and I know that but he seemed genuinely hungry. I know that is a whole lot and really a big leap. I'm not the greatest at keeping an eye on how much he eats and when so I'm going to keep a close eye on it today. I don't usually nurse more than once during the daytime, just morning and night so I should be able to gauge how many oz
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    alfibet said:

Is robitussin safe to take while breastfeeding? I checked mommy meds and I think the generic name for it (long word with a D) is ok. I'm dying of a cold and have a Christmas party to go to. I have lasted 3 days without it, but I feel like shit. Tia!

What are your symptoms? Decongestants are known to reduce milk supply, so if you take Robitussin (there are so many different ones, it's hard to sort through what's compatible), make sure it doesn't contain a decongestant.

You can always call Dr. Hale at the infant risk center and ask about a specific medication you have. They can answer your question about compatibility with breastfeeding fast and with reliable info:
    (806) 352-2519
    imageimage
  • Options
    alfibet said:

@Emerald27‌ thank you. My symptom is congestion :( I'll probably just skip it. I don't want to risk anything. I'll write that number down for future reference though :)

Try some hot tea with lemon and honey before you go. Or stick it in a travel mug and take it with you. ;) A hot shower before getting ready to go can also help relieve some of your congestion. And some women swear by neti pot (though it freaks me out. Lol).
    imageimage
  • Options
    @SaraML13‌ It's fine to send all from your freezer stash on Mondays, but you could also do half stash and half of what you pumped on Friday. That way, you rotate your stash but still use some fresher milk.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Is it crazy that I prefer my manual pump? I went back to work for one day yesterday and manual pumped all day. Am I doing something wrong with my electric pump? The manual gets more milk in less time :-/

• Options

Is it crazy that I prefer my manual pump? I went back to work for one day yesterday and manual pumped all day. Am I doing something wrong with my electric pump? The manual gets more milk in less time :-/

Some moms do prefer manual. Do what works best for you! Many moms prefer double electric pumps because they pump both breasts at once and can be quicker.
    imageimage
  • Options
    AmyG* said:

@ishknits‌
    That's a LOT of milk at one time-even for a formula fed baby that would be overfeeding!
    Get a different bottle nipple. This one sounds like he's getting milk dumped down his throat.
    When you hold the bottle upside down no milk or only drops should come out.

Be sure you are pausing every 1/2 oz to burp and change sides you hold him on. A bottle should take at least 20 minutes for a normal sizes feed

Keep in mind that feeding frequently is he human norm. Large meals less often is linked to overeating and being overweight because you over stretch the stomach and lose the ability to tell when you are full. It's much better for most babies to feed 2.5-3 oz every 3 hours than to feed 5-6 oz every 5-6 hours.

Thanks a lot. I really thought it was insane! I kept being told by my family that a baby will spit out the bottle if they aren't hungry since they haven't been socialized to over eat yet so I figured I should feed him since he seemed hungry. I use newborn nipples and it only drips out. He's back to normal today so I really don't know what that was all about.
  • Options
    So I will start treatment for me an lo for thrush today. I need to wash AND sterilize the nipple shield every time right?
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    LO is 10 weeks and after going through hell trying to nurse her I'm finally admitting defeat and going to exclusive pumping. I'm still nursing her a couple times in the morning as that's when I'm most full and therefore it's easier for her to express milk (she's got a disorganized suck, can't undulate tongue, even after tongue tie and lip tie revisions and CST sessions, so she typically doesn't transfer milk well at all) Anyway, today is day 2 of mostly bottle feeding and she's displaying more signs of silent reflux. She doesn't spit up...just a little one time, but she'll start crying towards the end of a feeding and will stiffen up her body and straighten out her limbs, etc. I've tried searching online but haven't come up with anything. Do you think it's because she's getting more milk at a sitting and her belly can't handle it? I'm giving her 4 oz bottles...I'll call the Dr. On Monday but just wondering if anyone's heard of this. Do I start dropping dairy from my diet? I'm so exhausted with this whole thing...:( thanks!
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Options
    @imagine7696030614‌ Try following the paced bottle feeding method, and only offer 2oz bottles. 4oz is a very large feeding. Most babies, this age at least, prefer small feedings more frequently. It's healthier and so much easier on their tiny tummies. Offer 2oz using the paced bottle feeding method, and then see if she seems satisfied. If she's still showing signs of hunger, offer a third ounce.
    imageimage
  • Options
    @starla487‌ For short separations like this, you can try to pump when you think baby might ordinarily be nursing, or just whenever you get a chance. You can either pump what baby will be taking from the bottle, or you can empty your breasts completely, which means pumping until your breasts are completely soft and the milk stops flowing.
    imageimage
  • Options
    @theresat858‌ I may have missed this, but are you or DH offering the bottle? Have you tried offering it while walking around? And when she's not hungry?

FX for you! I'm sure that the caregivers at daycare have lots of tricks up their sleeves to help reluctant babies take bottles, but it would be SO nice to have her happily taking them before then. Maybe it would be worth trying another brand. :/
    imageimage
  • Options
    I've read all of these posts, they are so helpful! So thankful for this thread.
    I don't think my LO does a good job emptying the breast. If I do any type of hand expression to check and see if there is more milk, he spits it right up. He will totally just suck and stop swallowing on that side. He just hangs out! I'll finally pull him off and put him on the other side and he goes to town on that side. I know the original side still has ilk because it still comes out easily. Is there something else I can do? Should I not be concerned? He's 11 weeks and the pedi was fine with his weight gain, although he's a small guy.
  • Options
    The past week at daycare Dd has been taking one big feeding (like 5 or 6 oz) but the rest are 2 1/2-3oz spaced normally. One day it was 6oz at 8:30am over the course of an hour. Another it was 5oz at noon. Again over the course of an hour. They do paced bottle feeding and I send 3oz bottles. She's away from me for about 10hrs a day and eating about 15oz total during that time period. Should I be concerned about stomach stretching? They say she was inconsolable without more milk/reaching for the empty bottle those times of large feeding.

Married 11/5/11
  • Options
    I just used my manual pump for the first time. I might be in love. I know I could have kept going but pumped about 10 min a side and got the same amount out that I do in 20 min with the double electric.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Cantisa said:

sabby2 said:

I just used my manual pump for the first time. I might be in love. I know I could have kept going but pumped about 10 min a side and got the same amount out that I do in 20 min with the double electric.

Does your hand get tired? That's my only complaint otherwise I love my hand pump too!!
    Yeah a little bit. It's not unbearable though.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

The bottle refusal continues. I got her to take an ounce two days ago but she has fought it every time since then. She chews the nipple and won't latch.
    I go back to work in 2 weeks. DH is home between now and then, but I'm not sure if we should try the same bottles (tommee tippee; we own 15) or new ones. She did a minor bit better w the munchkin latch bottle.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome. We are only trying freshly pumped milk (I do have a slight lipase issue; dd1 didn't care).

This was DD 2 weeks ago, even the same bottles. She'd drink a1/2 oz and it'd take 15-20mins. She wasn't screaming at the bottle, she just played with it. Anyway, she started daycare on the 9th and is now taking the bottle, even from me. It was slow, but each day she'd drink more and more from the bottle. I had them only offer an oz at a time so nothing was wasted. She now gets 2 oz at a time and will take anywhere from .5-2.5 oz. Most days she's taking between 5-7 oz in the 8.5 hrs she's there. I'm hoping it will continue to increase. I sent in a variety of bottles. She does best with Tommy tippe and munchkin latch, so we picked the latch and that's all she's offered now. Also, I BF her at drop off to try and get one solid feed in before I'm away from her. When we get home, it's a feeding frenzy but I'm loving all that snuggle time after missing her all day.
    I know all babies are different, but just wanted you to know there's hope. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"