October 2014 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Links & Talk

Re: Breastfeeding Links & Talk

• Options

Is it possible for a baby to be tongue tied if he can suck out his tongue well past his lips?

Nursing is still painful for me, and LO will be 4 weeks tomorrow. The pedi said he has a very mild tongue tie but that it doesn't need to be revised. He can stick his tongue out far so I just believed it, but my nips are seriously sore and they aren't getting better. I'm about ready to quit :(

this doesn't answer your question, but nursing hurt me until about 6 weeks and DS had a good latch and no ties. Maybe you're still getting used to nursing? I don't know, but solidarity, it sucked in the beginning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Options
    jbuck909jbuck909 member
    edited November 2014
    It seems at night it takes longer for my milk too come down and LO is working hard and getting frustrated by it. Does this mean my supply is dwindling? He's 6 weeks tomorrow and has a good latch. We don't have this problem during the day...
    ETA: he's been nursing almost an hour and is still giving hunger cues and refusing his binky when he pops off our falls asleep and wakes up
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He's been doing this for about a week now, but I think tonight had been one of the worst. Is that still normal?
  • Options
    Had tongue tie clipped and LO still doesn't stick tongue out that much. Nipples are being murdered by her chomping down.

Headed for CST next. If that fails, then I'll be a pumping woman. And nursing at bedtime and during meltdowns.
  • Options
    Cantisa said:

Had tongue tie clipped and LO still doesn't stick tongue out that much. Nipples are being murdered by her chomping down.

Headed for CST next. If that fails, then I'll be a pumping woman. And nursing at bedtime and during meltdowns.

Sorry to hear that :( What's CST?
    Craniosacral therapy.

One reason babies have limited jaw movement is because of traumatic events at birth. One named was excessive suctioning. She was born by c-section (traumatic), and I had meconium in my amniotic fluid so she was suctioned realllllllllllly well. I'm thinking that could be it.
  • Options

Cantisa said:

Sorry to hear that :( What's CST?
    Craniosacral therapy.

One reason babies have limited jaw movement is because of traumatic events at birth. One named was excessive suctioning. She was born by c-section (traumatic), and I had meconium in my amniotic fluid so she was suctioned realllllllllllly well. I'm thinking that could be it.
    FX for you and LO!
    imageimage
  • Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited November 2014
    LO's feedings normally last 60-70 minutes except for the last couple of days. She's now only taking about 50 minutes to feed, which is nice, except for the fact that my breasts don't feel emptied by the time she is done feeding like they normally would. I've already pumped today 4 oz over what she's wanted to feed which is unusual. Is there a reason why she would feed for less time suddenly? Diaper output is fine and she seems satisfied at the end of each feeding so that's not a concern. I'm just confused as to why she might be consuming less all of a sudden. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Yes! I was told to get OT for her as well @keelyd‌
  • Options
    I keep hearing about CST...are all clipped babies supposed to undergo that therapy post revision? I'm wondering if I should take baby to a Chiro or OT? Anyone know if Cranio is covered by most insurance?
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Options
    The place I'm being referred to takes insurance for CST. I'm not sure the oop costs, but I'd probably pay oop cause I'm fully attached to the bond BF gives.
  • Options
    Cantisa said:

Is sucking hands always a hunger cue? Baby will be 8 weeks Sunday and she is sucking her hands after she eats. I am unsure if she wants to eat more. :-/

Not always, but often. I would offer to nurse again. She'll take the breast if she's still hungry and won't if she's full. Then you can let her have her hand/paci without worry
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

Cantisa said:

Is sucking hands always a hunger cue? Baby will be 8 weeks Sunday and she is sucking her hands after she eats. I am unsure if she wants to eat more. :-/

Not always, but often. I would offer to nurse again. She'll take the breast if she's still hungry and won't if she's full. Then you can let her have her hand/paci without worry
    In order to make sure LO fully drains the first breast, would you keep putting them on the same breast when they detach (between burping) until they refuse it, and then move to the second breast?

My LO also shows hunger cues when he's done eating on one breast so he always takes breast #2. I just can't tell if he's *really* finished with the first.
  • Options

Emerald27 said:

Cantisa said:

In order to make sure LO fully drains the first breast, would you keep putting them on the same breast when they detach (between burping) until they refuse it, and then move to the second breast?

My LO also shows hunger cues when he's done eating on one breast so he always takes breast #2. I just can't tell if he's *really* finished with the first.
    Unless you're trying to lower your supply or have issues with oversupply, I wouldn't worry about which breast I offered LO at that point. You can go ahead and offer the second breast after LO unlatches himself from the first. Burping in between sounds like a great idea. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Any ideas for how DH can soothe DD? He's feeling a little outsider-ish since it seems all she wants is boob. She refuses a pacifier (we've tried several kinds) but she will take a bottle from him. But even then she wants to top off with me. She'll be 6weeks tomorrow. I'm also concerned about this since she starts daycare in 2 weeks and have no soothing techniques other than whip out the boob but I won't be there.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married 11/5/11
  • Options
    Ive pumped twice now (just to start building a small in case of emergency stash) and both times my nipple hurts so bad! What am I doing wrong? Too
    High of suction? I followed the instructions on how to set the proper suction speed so I can't imagine that being the issue but something's gotta give. Ideas? (Baby is 4 weeks, and each time I pumped it was for 5-8 mom from the breast baby wouldn't take and got 3-4 oz)

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• Options
    SaraML13 said:

MrsG1019 said:

Ive pumped twice now (just to start building a small in case of emergency stash) and both times my nipple hurts so bad! What am I doing wrong? Too
    High of suction? I followed the instructions on how to set the proper suction speed so I can't imagine that being the issue but something's gotta give. Ideas? (Baby is 4 weeks, and each time I pumped it was for 5-8 mom from the breast baby wouldn't take and got 3-4 oz)

3-4 oz from one breast when you've just started pumping is a lot!  I would try turning down the suction.  Even though I can tolerate the pump at almost full suction, I usually use about 1/3 of the max suction and my nipples aren't sore afterwards.  Also, check to make sure you are using the correct size flanges. You can google for images of how they should fit. 

Thank you!! It seemed like a lot but I do have a lazy eater on my hands so I figured it was a combo of that and maybe an oversupply. I'll try it with a lower speed today!

BabyName Ticker
    image imageimageimage

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Help! Nursing on my right side has been painful for the past couple days due to what I believe is an inflamed Montgomery duct. I've noticed this little red bump at the very base of my nipple on the areola. It really hurts all throughout nursing! I've tried to switch up the hold I'm using on that side to alleviate friction on the bump, but it's not really helping.

There isn't a ton of info out there about this. What can I do to heal it quickly?

ETA: After more googling, perhaps it could be a friction blister? Not sure, but ouch. :(
  • Options
    So if I'm pumping 4oz at a time and freezing it all into one bag how would I thaw it if I wasn't going to need the entire 4oz bag for one feeding. Would you let it thaw in the fridge and heat what you needed? Or should I be storing it in smaller amounts?
  • Options
    cmac6186 said:

Any ideas for how DH can soothe DD? He's feeling a little outsider-ish since it seems all she wants is boob. She refuses a pacifier (we've tried several kinds) but she will take a bottle from him. But even then she wants to top off with me. She'll be 6weeks tomorrow. I'm also concerned about this since she starts daycare in 2 weeks and have no soothing techniques other than whip out the boob but I won't be there.

Some ideas for your DH:
    https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000000001WAB/WAB_Tear_sheet_Toolkit/09_fussybabyideas.pdf

There are some suggestions here too that might be helpful:
    https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000000001WAB/WAB_Tear_sheet_Toolkit/10_what_about_partners.pdf

imageimage
  • Options
    suncake said:

So if I'm pumping 4oz at a time and freezing it all into one bag how would I thaw it if I wasn't going to need the entire 4oz bag for one feeding. Would you let it thaw in the fridge and heat what you needed? Or should I be storing it in smaller amounts?

I would freeze it in 1-2oz amounts. That will be the best way to limit waste.

For what you've already frozen, thaw in the fridge and break up into two+ bottles so that the second half only gets used if LO is still hungry after the first, or used at a later feeding.
    imageimage
  • Options

Help! Nursing on my right side has been painful for the past couple days due to what I believe is an inflamed Montgomery duct. I've noticed this little red bump at the very base of my nipple on the areola. It really hurts all throughout nursing! I've tried to switch up the hold I'm using on that side to alleviate friction on the bump, but it's not really helping.

There isn't a ton of info out there about this. What can I do to heal it quickly?

ETA: After more googling, perhaps it could be a friction blister? Not sure, but ouch. :(

Ouch!! Here is some info about how to help your friction blister heal:
    https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplehealing/

Try nursing in different positions, encouraging LO to open very wide and making sure he has a good latch. You may also want to see a LLL Leader or IBCLC for positioning techniques and tips. Feel better!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Baby's poop has been greenish the last few days. She is breastfed. Out of curiosity, do you think it has more to do with her non-stop growth spurt nursing or me having a plugged duct (mostly resolved now)?

imageimageimage
  • Options

Baby's poop has been greenish the last few days. She is breastfed. Out of curiosity, do you think it has more to do with her non-stop growth spurt nursing or me having a plugged duct (mostly resolved now)?

Probably growth spurt nursing. The plugged duct wouldn't cause that.

Green poop is totally ok, though. Alone it's nothing to worry about. :) I hope the duct clears for you!! So sorry you're dealing with that.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Why would my supply increase on one side? Righty is back to super engorgement between night time feeds after 4 to 5 hour stretches. Baby hasn't really been nursing more than normal and I've pumped to replace a feeding a couple if times in the last few days but not pumped extra.

I got 6 oz in 8 minutes on one side this morning after dd had nursed on that side for 5 minutes.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am going back to work next Thursday. I work 12 hour night shifts, so I'll be pumping over night at work. DO has mostly been sleeping through the night, so will i need to get up and pump through the night on my nights off to keep supply up for when I need it?

• Options
    LO just nursed for 35 minutes on one boob but it doesn't have that "empty" feel. Do you think I could have a milk transfer issue? That's just a really long time to actively nurse and then my boob doesn't even feel soft after. I didn't offer him the second because that was such a long time on one and I needed a break. He seemed content when I detached him (his sucks were getting lazy), and DH held him and he was awake, alert, and not fussing, so it doesn't seem like he's still hungry.

I should also mention that he was fussy at the breast off and on during the session. He wasn't pulling off, but he was squirmy and whining a lot. He doesn't do this at the other breast, just the left (which also happens to be my more painful side, with the friction blister).
  • Options
    Oh, also, my areolas are always smooth, red, and shiny when LO detaches. They are only like that for a few minutes before they go back to normal color and texture. Could this be thrush? There were no symptoms of it in LO's mouth when I had his pediatrician check on Wednesday, so I don't know. I'm not sure my symptoms match up either, besides just having pain while breastfeeding. There is no burning, itching, or flaking. :-/
  • Options
    @keelyd‌ -Did you end up trying the Lansinoh bottles? I've been giving LO 2.5 from a bottle at each feeding then offering the breast if she's still hungry, and her latch is much more relaxed after using the Lansinoh nipple. I've even been able to heal a bit over the last few days! I'm going to start decreasing the amount in the bottle and increasing the time at the breast to see if we can get it to stick. Hope it's working for you too!
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    savagek7 said:

Ugh. LO just nursed lefty for 23 minutes, pulled off drowsy, then started fussing and chewing on his hand. Nursed for 8 mins on righty and fell asleep. The problem is, lefty now has a big, hard, painful area. I tried a warm compress, massage, and pumping, and only got drops out. I don't understand how it can be like this after nursing, especially when his nose was pointed directly at that area when nursing...

Different experts have different opinions about whether chin or nose should be pointed toward a plug, or whether it matters at all. I'm in the doesn't really matter camp, but what I DO think helps is dangle feeding. I wouldn't hesitate to wake LO and do some dangle feeding, if he'll let you. Best of luck!
    imageimage
  • Options
    jbuck909jbuck909 member
    edited November 2014
    So I have the Medela Symphony as a rental and the PISA. When I use the PISA the flange doesn't properly suction, but I dont have this problem with the Symphony. I bought larger flanges, but it draws in to much of my areola. How do I fix this? I have tried taking it out and repositioning, but I can't get it to seal right.

ETA: I don't have this problem with the Symphony...
  • Options
    I could swear this was brought up here but is it ok to let baby sleep 8 hours through the night? Two nights ago she slept through and I panicked in the morning when I realized. Then I set the alarm for 4 am and slept through so she slept another 8 hours. She's 8 weeks so I think it's ok for her to go that long? But, I'm worried about my milk supply. Do you think going such long stretches two nights in a row will hinder the supply?
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Options

I could swear this was brought up here but is it ok to let baby sleep 8 hours through the night? Two nights ago she slept through and I panicked in the morning when I realized. Then I set the alarm for 4 am and slept through so she slept another 8 hours. She's 8 weeks so I think it's ok for her to go that long? But, I'm worried about my milk supply.
    Do you think going such long stretches two nights in a row will hinder the supply?

That's a really long stretch of sleep for your supply. I would wake to feed, dream feed, or pump once during that period. Baby will get enough as long as she's nursing on demand, but when your breasts fill up, that signals a reduction in supply.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    I could swear this was brought up here but is it ok to let baby sleep 8 hours through the night? Two nights ago she slept through and I panicked in the morning when I realized. Then I set the alarm for 4 am and slept through so she slept another 8 hours. She's 8 weeks so I think it's ok for her to go that long? But, I'm worried about my milk supply. Do you think going such long stretches two nights in a row will hinder the supply?
    That's a really long stretch of sleep for your supply. I would wake to feed, dream feed, or pump once during that period. Baby will get enough as long as she's nursing on demand, but when your breasts fill up, that signals a reduction in supply.
    Is this the case for the entire time we breastfeed or only in the first few months? In other words, will there be no sleeping through the night until baby is done breastfeeding? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    vrj0522 said:

Emerald27 said:

I could swear this was brought up here but is it ok to let baby sleep 8 hours through the night? Two nights ago she slept through and I panicked in the morning when I realized. Then I set the alarm for 4 am and slept through so she slept another 8 hours. She's 8 weeks so I think it's ok for her to go that long? But, I'm worried about my milk supply.
    Do you think going such long stretches two nights in a row will hinder the supply?

Is this the case for the entire time we breastfeed or only in the first few months? In other words, will there be no sleeping through the night until baby is done breastfeeding? 

----------
    STTN is technically 5 hours, ;) which is not too long a stretch for baby to sleep without nursing. Most babies don't sleep such long long stretches regularly, so nursing on demand is all it takes to maintain an adequate supply. The average baby and young toddler will wake every 3-5 hours at night, which is perfect, and they wake more frequently when they're growing or hitting a developmental milestone.

As a nursing mother, your breasts would be very uncomfortable going such long stretches without nursing. As a mother in general, no matter how you feed your kid, I wouldn't expect to be STTN for real (that is, 8+ hours) until your kid is a teenager...and then they won't get out of bed before noon! :P lol, parenthood...
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited November 2014
    starla487 said:

On a similar note with STTN, if DD is going 3-4 hours for sleep in the MOTN, and then only feeds on one side before going back to sleep, the other side should be pumped? (Even if it doesn't feel engorged yet.) Should it be pumped for comfort or pumped to empty?

If you're not full or uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry about it. I usually encourage LO to nurse on both sides at night since he sleeps long stretches.

ETA: This is not something to worry a lot about. Milk supply isn't THAT fragile. But it's both unusual for a baby so young to sleep 8 hours without nursing, and it would be uncomfortable for mom. If it happened often enough, it could reduce her supply.

If you were uncomfortable one night and chose to pump (if baby won't dream feed), I would just pump to comfort...If you empty the breast, you'll signal a production increase.
    imageimage
  • Options
    savagek7 said:

So, suddenly my boy doesn't get enough from just one side anymore. He will go 15-20 mins on one side (which has been our norm since the beginning), then fuss and scream and keep unlatching, and I will feel very empty. So I put him on the other side, he latches right on and eats for 5-10 more minutes. My question is, does this mean my supply is decreasing?? It also takes much longer to pump from each side, and I have a hard time getting 3 oz from a single side anymore.

Nope. This is 100% normal. Many newborns will nurse on just one side and then as they grow they will take both.

As for pumping, 3oz is a normal/slightly above average yield. Sounds more like your supply has regulated. If you're concerned about your supply, dream feed or offer to nurse just a bit more often. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    So it's DH and my anniversary Monday. MIL is coming to watch LO all day. I have a dr Appt I m the morning. Then we are going to see at movie and later go to dinner. I plan on coming home between each thing to feed LO or pump. So do I need to make sure I just get 8 feeds/pumps in sometime during the day to keep up my supply? Or does it have to be around the same time LO eats.
  • Options
    LO is 5 weeks old. He is feeding 2-3 hours during the day but wants to nurse constantly at night. Any suggestions for getting on a better schedule? This usually starts around 10 .PM. (LO is very awake in the evening)
    And I don't know how much this has to do with i...but he was in the NICU for 17 days after he was born. We are EBF but still need a nipple shield most of the time.
  • Options
    Cantisa said:

Should you ever limit baby at breast for spitting up a lot after spending 1 hr with multiple let downs for multiple feedings.

So LO is nursing for an hour at a time and spitting up a lot? Both of those things are normal (nursing a long time is normal, especially when baby is growing or hitting a milestone. Spitting up a lot is normal, as long as baby is not crying when she spits up). It may help to pause and burp baby a bit more often when she's nursing so long. But don't burp her too vigorously, because that often causes spitting up! Rub or pat her back very gently to get those burps, and just the burps, out. :)

I would not limit baby's time at the breast when she's actively nursing. She knows what she needs right now to grow. Sounds like a little growth spurt to me!
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"