June 2014 Moms

Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

Re: Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

• Anyone want a free wet bag? It came with my kawaii diapers and it's nms.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• i know there was some talk in the earlier months about using HE washers and detergents.  has anyone find a detergent that they thought worked well and the settings that work best?  i have a HE top loader.  i'm late to this game because the first few weeks w/ LO were spent trying to figure out her tummy issues and now that she's starting to get big enough for the cd's that i have, i'm a little overwhelmed at getting started, but really want to try.  thanks! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Anyone want a free wet bag? It came with my kawaii diapers and it's nms.

ohh what size is it? I need another one so they can rotate in laundry. Does it matter I have a boy?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Brittnic531‌ I have an HE front loader and after a lot of trial and error (and research), I use Tide Ultra Powder HE - it works great! Once a month I add bleach to the hot wash.
  • @skittler2‌ & @kayzilly thanks! Right now I have some bum genius and prefolds... I haven't even prepped them yet. I think I'm just nervous about messing it up and ruining them! I'll get around to it one of these days.
  • @diagonalley‌ it looks like a small one. Doesn't matter if you have a boy, you're the one carrying the bag around! Pm me your address if you want it :)

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• @Lilygrace48‌ I need one pail size. Bummer. Thank you though :) I'll pass so someone who needs that size can get it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • skittler2 said:

@Brittnic531‌ I was nervous to start too, even though I had NB sized I still waited until LO was like 3 wks old to start because I was afraid I'd do something wrong. Now I love it and can't believe I waited so long! My LO is almost 8 weeks now. You can do it!

Thank you! I'm even more motivated to do it now that we've had 3 blow outs in a week. Lol! Hopefully I can get started this weekend.

@StrawberryDreams219‌ thank you! I looked at the big chart on the one blog that compares all the different detergents and I'd like to go the cheapest yet most efficient stuff. I use tide free and clear liquid for the rest of our laundry, but didn't see it on the list. (I did see All, though). Do you have a preference between liquid and powder?
  • I've heard that liquid detergents aren't as great because they have additives that can be difficult to fully rinse out and can end up causing problems.

That being said, I've also heard liquids are just fine. :)

Most of the charts don't like to include Tide b/c it isn't a 'typical' CD-safe detergent - purists prefer to use other detergents.  I just use what works.  Which is Tide.  And I have NEVER had problems related to using Tide with my diapers.  I've never had repelling issues or smells or anything like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • At what point does baby get big enough to stop looking some what ridiculous in giant OS diapers? DH would like to know.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• At what point does baby get big enough to stop looking some what ridiculous in giant OS diapers? DH would like to know.

I have bum genius 4.0 OS and they are nice and trim IMO. My baby is probably 10# now, so still small for a OS. She doesn't look odd, but she does need larger clothes because of the diaper.

Is the wet bag still available? I need one for my diaper bag so I can CD while away from the house.
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1991b9.aspx[/img][/url]}
  • @Aaward1658‌ yes it is! Pm me your address and I'll send it out tomorrow

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• @Aaward1658‌ yes it is! Pm me your address and I'll send it out tomorrow

Check your inbox! Thanks!!!
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1991b9.aspx[/img][/url]}
  • KrystaJ said:
    Our wet bags for the diaper bag/going out are horrible. What are your favorites?
    @KrystaJ I really like my Monkey Foot Designs bags, as well as my Planet Wise bags.

• KrystaJ said:

Our wet bags for the diaper bag/going out are horrible. What are your favorites?

I use the itzy ritzy brand ones and love it. This is the one I use and can fit up to 4-5 BG 4.0s in it at once. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00465USXY?pc_redir=1407120834&robot_redir=1
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    @Lilygrace48 It depends on which diapers you use.  I find that my BG 4.0s on the smallest setting don't look ridiculous at all, whereas my lovey Twinkie Tush one size fitted diapers look like she has a small planet on her tush.  

• @CAMag‌ are you opposed to pockets? I love my BG 4.0s and they don't take long to stuff at all and I like I can change the absorbency if needed easily. Bumgenius seem to be successful of any kind though for a lot of people I find on the CD boards.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • MrsRahl said:

@Lilygrace48‌ my dd is now 13 lbs and I think looks fine in our BG 4.0s but maybe I'm just getting used to the look now? I think that is part of it too. We just used disposables until she fit her 4.0s because I didn't want to buy a newborn stash and it was a shocker at first going from tiny trim nb disposables to one sized. And now an excuse to share pictures ;)imageimage

I think you stole my LO! I put her in that exact CD today to try it on. And I have that outfit! And LO looks similar. Baby thief. :)

Pictures or it didn't happen ;)

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I've got a bit of a odd question for you ladies...has anyone ever had an issue with cloth diapers causing a blister on their little boy's scrotum?  AJ has hydrocele, which means that fluid occasionally builds up in his scrotum causing it to swell (hopefully this will resolve on its own as he gets older).  I'm pretty sure this may have factored in, but when my husband changed him overnight (we just started using our cloth diapers again yesterday afternoon) he noticed what looked like a blister (or callus) forming on AJ's scrotum.  
    Do you think that it could be because of how I had the cloth diapers "set up" length wise (i.e. front to back) or possibly a positional thing (i.e. how the pads in the diaper were aligned with his body)?  I used my thirsties all in one (once) on the largest setting, and 2 bum genius all in ones on the largest setting the first time and the second to largest the second time in order to make the leg holes tighter.  As for how the pads were positioned,  I tried to maximize coverage both directions. :)  

Anyway, I thought I would ask here to see if you ladies had any thoughts.  Also is there anything that I can use to treat the blister (ointment) that is cloth diaper safe and would reduce pressure/friction on the area?  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This is what Charlie looks like in our os kawaiis. He's fine when he's lying down, but then I feel like he can't sit up very well or bend at the waist at all. They go up above his belly button when I try to have him in a seated position.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• This is what Charlie looks like in our os kawaiis. He's fine when he's lying down, but then I feel like he can't sit up very well or bend at the waist at all. They go up above his belly button when I try to have him in a seated position.

We had a couple kawaii covers and they even fit my 24 lb tall DD like that. I sold them because the fit is just awkward. Same fit with the kawaii pockets I used to have, I sold those because I just hated stuffing though. 

Thanks. All his diapers fit like this, including the pf and covers we have. Eh, we'll just deal.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Can someone tell me if they've used any BG elementals? How did you like them and really are they worth it other than them being more natural?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • We are loving our Glow Bug CDs. Just moved to the next riser (big baby!) and everyone loves the look. Even the nurses at the hospital would comment on them.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                image image image
  • MrsRahl said:

Can someone tell me if they've used any BG elementals? How did you like them and really are they worth it other than them being more natural?

I JUST got one - it was the only diaper I could get Chaplin in :)

Only used it twice. I like it so far - I think some of the design changes are good and should make it An easier AIO to deal with.

If you have suede cloth sensitivity, it is a great way to still have a BG.

• @skittler2 and @chickpea912 I have toys r us gift cards and I wanted to use them for more CD but the only colors I like other than white are elementals, so that is why I ask.  I really want a love lace design for my baby girl.  Chickpea, how should I prep the elemental if I only get one?  Because they are natural they have to be prepped separately right? It's always a PIA to prep just one natural thing. Skittler2, why is the elemental different from your free times other than the material? I thought they were identical as far as how they are sewn. Am I wrong in thinking that then?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Honestly?  I didn't prep mine.  Put it on her then threw it in the wash with everything else.  It was just one diaper, I didn't think the small amount of oils would cause any problems.  If that changes, I'll let you know.

But if you were going to prep them, I'd just wash them by themselves once or twice.  No boiling as they do have the PUL attached.

The Freetimes seem bulkier and the elementals seem a little trimmer - especially with the new design.  The material is the big selling point - whether you want natural materials or if your child has a sensitivity to the materials in the freetimes, those are things to consider.

• @MommyWaldron‌ we use thirties booty love as well as Mama Medicines sweet bee magic. Both work absolute wonders. We used the sweet bee magic on Catherine when she was little because I couldn't stand the desiton types. It always cleared up a rash between diaper changes. I swear that shit really is magical.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• It's nearly 4am and I just bought a 28 pack of kawaiis. #diaperaddict

Every week my husband asks "did you buy anything online this week?" But what he is really asking me is "did you but any diapers this week?" Lol
  • @MommyWaldron‌ I use California baby diaper rash cream. I like it because I can just get it at target easily, it smells great, and cleared up dd rash quickly but she isn't super sensitive to begin with. I also use CJs butter too. I even used it on dd neck roll rash I discovered yesterday. I'll let you know how that goes. I diligently clean her rolls but it's like she had a secret sub layer roll I can't see lol
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • @MommyWaldron‌ I got the booty lobe as a gift and I buy sweet bee magic either at whole foods or on amazon.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited August 2014
    If my diapers are coming out smelling like tide am I using too much? I use right under the line 1 on the scooper. I recently today had 3 leaks and never had one before this! I use max water on my top loader and do cold rinse, hot wash, and cold rinse on top of the cold rinse already in the regular cycle after the hot wash. I use only cloth safe creams (CJs and California babies). Haven't changed any snap settings either. I wonder if I'm using too much detergent but sometimes her poop doesn't come out completely from the elastic scrunch part on the sides. What gives? She's ebf.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • MrsRahl said:

If my diapers are coming out smelling like tide am I using too much? I use right under the line 1 on the scooper. I recently today had 3 leaks and never had one before this! I use max water on my top loader and do cold rinse, hot wash, and cold rinse on top of the cold rinse already in the regular cycle after the hot wash. I use only cloth safe creams (CJs and California babies). Haven't changed any snap settings either. I wonder if I'm using too much detergent but sometimes her poop doesn't come out completely from the elastic scrunch part on the sides. What gives? She's ebf.

Use more detergent. I fill to the 3.

• Charlie has a diaper rash. It's on his front above his penis and both thighs where the diapers touch. We just switched to pockets and I'm wondering if it's just where the dampness from his pee hits him. I figure if it were a reaction to the fleece it would also be on his bum, and it's not. Its very red and beginning to look a bit raw in spots, but not yeasty. Its not responding to cream, so I wonder if talc to keep him dry would work better. Anyone experience something similar?

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• @Lilygrace48‌ I've had rashes like that from toxic poo (raw spots), and they tend to go to yeast pretty quickly. It may be that the rash just isn't able to heal any it is a bacterial or fungal combo rash that needs a different cream. I've gotten to the point where raw spots that don't go away within a couple of days of A&D cream (I find that works better than Desitin when I need a heavy duty cream), I call the doctor.

Of course you'd need fleece liners to use that with your cloth.

• The thing with this rash is it's not on his bum, it's just on his front, and he never poops, so it can't be toxic poop.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• I've got him disposables to try and clear it up. Then I can try the cloth again and see if talc helps instead of cream. I dunno. Poor guy also broke out in a heat rash today, so he's got rashes and bumps all over the place.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• @Lilygrace48 What kind of diapers do you use?  Do they have a stay dry layer?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"