June 2014 Moms
Options

Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

Re: Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

• Options
    @MrsRahl‌ She's using disposables overnight. I have a few different types of inserts, including cotton and two varieties of microfiber.
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I finished prepping my cd stash today... I have 26 different types of diapers (not including the 6 flats or 12 prefolds), 6 microfiber inserts and 3 bamboo inserts. They are all one size or larger size. Do I need more inserts? I figure if I need more diapers, I can get them at a later point, but if I need more inserts, I'll get them with the rest of the baby shower cash. Also, we were given a gift certificate for a diaper service for the first few months baby is home (3 or 4 months, depending if we want to put in extra for the last month or use the extra cert monies towards supplies). This service provides prefolds that are laundered every week, to be due with covers. I have 4 new born covers, plus 2 one sized cover. Do you think that is enough? PS- I got a lot of my cloth diapers used from a local consignment shop. The most I paid was $7 and most were $4. The covers were $1.5. I do have a variety of new, but you can't tell used from new by looks. DH was freaked out by used until we went there and he was able to look at them himself. Still won't let be buy from eBay or CL, but visits the shop with me about every other week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My friend is using CDs during the day, but disposables at night because she feels CDs aren't absorbent enough for overnight. Some time with google has made me aware of special overnight CDs. Are these actually better than, for example, using extra inserts in a pocket diaper? And is it desirable to leave a newborn in the same diaper overnight?
    @Temurlang1 I change S every few hours when I nurse her at night, so she's not really in the same diaper all night long.

Once she's older, I'll do what I did with M:

1. Pocket diaper with a microfiber insert on top of a hemp insert (usually a BG 4.0)
    2.  Fitted diaper (I haven't had to purchase their super awesome overnight diapers, I just use a regular Twinkie Tush diaper, but they do have overnight options) with either a Flip PUL cover or a wool cover of some sorts.

We never had leaks overnight.

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Options
    @chickpea912‌ thanks! That makes a lot of sense.
    image    image

• Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    @Temurlang1‌ I'm a ftm, but like chickpea said from my research and what my CD friends tell me is hemp is the most absorbant way to go and double with a microfiber with hemp being the bottom layer. My sis who does this never had leaks either once baby was sleeping through the night. She also uses bumgenius 4.0 pockets with snaps.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Dumb question but when doing the microfiber/hemp combo with the BG 4.0, do you stuff them in together, or lay the microfiber on top of the pocket? Thanks :)
  • Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    Mrs.C.V. said:

Dumb question but when doing the microfiber/hemp combo with the BG 4.0, do you stuff them in together, or lay the microfiber on top of the pocket? Thanks :)

Put them in together. Microfiber can't go against babies skin
  • Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited May 2014
    Mrs.C.V. said:

Never put microfiber directly on baby's skin. It will dry them out and can give them a rash. Both go in the pocket and hemp on the bottom (further from the baby) because microfiber will be quick to pull moisture away, keepinf baby dry, and the hemp doesn't absorb as fast but absorbs a lot. That is why you do it in that order.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you! Knew about the order and the wicking - totally forgot that microfiber can't go on skin. 
  • Options
    I just ordered 6 more newborns...addicted! But it should be enough to not have to use disposables!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member

I have an ammonia question for ladies who have been doing this for a while.

DD1's diapers always smell like ammonia after a few hours in a wet bag. It doesn't matter if I leave the bag open to air or rinse the inserts out prior to putting them in the bag. They never smell once I wash them. Is it possible she just has very stinky pee or am I doing something wrong? My wash method is as follows

1 cycle with detergent hot wash/cold rinse
    1 cycle with no detergent and vinegar in a downy ball warm wash/cold rinse.

If I bleach, I will do 1 cycle no detergent with bleach on hot/cold, then follow with the above two.

I could be wrong but I think vinegar can make ammonia worse. I would try just multiple no detergent (after washing with detergent) rinses to make sure you have gotten all of the ammonia crystals out. Also pee just stinks after awhile, if you're using microfiber inserts they hold on to stink like no other (in my opinion anyway!)
  • Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    I have an ammonia question for ladies who have been doing this for a while. DD1's diapers always smell like ammonia after a few hours in a wet bag. It doesn't matter if I leave the bag open to air or rinse the inserts out prior to putting them in the bag. They never smell once I wash them. Is it possible she just has very stinky pee or am I doing something wrong? My wash method is as follows 1 cycle with detergent hot wash/cold rinse 1 cycle with no detergent and vinegar in a downy ball warm wash/cold rinse. If I bleach, I will do 1 cycle no detergent with bleach on hot/cold, then follow with the above two.
    Just as an FYI, don't mix vinegar and bleach. I'm not saying you did, but it causes the same reaction of toxic chlorine gas.  Also, I noticed that a lot of women on here's wash pattern is rinse, wash, rinse.  Maybe if you do a rinse cycle first, then wash, you can get more of that junk out before you technically wash. Here is a link on the CD board of your question and some others solutions :)   https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/82021975#Comment_82021975
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    @kittenslove‌ @StrawberryDreams219‌ Thanks! My ILs don't say much about it, but I know everyone thinks we are crazy. I just try not to let it bother me. But when my sister said all those things that were just wrong, it really bothered me. I'll definitely be showing off her cute fluff :) As long as my husband is on board, that's all that matters. I don't think it will be as big of a deal as people who are anti-CD make it seem.
    Has she seen what a current cloth diaper looks like?  I feel like people often misunderstand and picture the cloth that our parents' generation used...
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Finished prepping my newborn stash!!  I have another bin of prefolds stashed in the dresser, and twice as many wipes as fit in that container.  So excited to have that done :)

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited May 2014

MrsRahl said:

I have an ammonia question for ladies who have been doing this for a while.

DD1's diapers always smell like ammonia after a few hours in a wet bag. It doesn't matter if I leave the bag open to air or rinse the inserts out prior to putting them in the bag. They never smell once I wash them. Is it possible she just has very stinky pee or am I doing something wrong? My wash method is as follows

1 cycle with detergent hot wash/cold rinse
    1 cycle with no detergent and vinegar in a downy ball warm wash/cold rinse.

If I bleach, I will do 1 cycle no detergent with bleach on hot/cold, then follow with the above two.

Just as an FYI, don't mix vinegar and bleach. I'm not saying you did, but it causes the same reaction of toxic chlorine gas.  Also, I noticed that a lot of women on here's wash pattern is rinse, wash, rinse.  Maybe if you do a rinse cycle first, then wash, you can get more of that junk out before you technically wash. Here is a link on the CD board of your question and some others solutions :)   https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/82021975#Comment_82021975
    The vinegar is usually 2 cycles after the bleach so the bleach is all out by then. I don't mix them :) also my washer sucks and doesn't have a pre-rinse option. That's why I tried hand rinsing.

-------------Edit for quote box fail------------------------

This may sound dumb, but can you turn the dial on the washer to the rinse cycle that comes after the wash cycle and start the load almost in the middle of the entire cycle if you get what im saying? Thats the only way I can get a rinse without a wash first on my machine.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Last minute newborn diaper question!  We have 24-30 nb prefolds and two nb covers to start.  We also have the size 1 rumparooz (and various other brands) of covers for later.  Do you think I'll need more nb covers?  Can't we just rotate between the two?  I guess I am thinking that even if they get dirty/wet we can just rinse/wipe them off and they'll be fine.  Or is that gross? 

June '14 June Siggy "Summer Heat"
    Coming Soon

• Options
    I have an ammonia question for ladies who have been doing this for a while. DD1's diapers always smell like ammonia after a few hours in a wet bag. It doesn't matter if I leave the bag open to air or rinse the inserts out prior to putting them in the bag. They never smell once I wash them. Is it possible she just has very stinky pee or am I doing something wrong? My wash method is as follows 1 cycle with detergent hot wash/cold rinse 1 cycle with no detergent and vinegar in a downy ball warm wash/cold rinse. If I bleach, I will do 1 cycle no detergent with bleach on hot/cold, then follow with the above two.
    Here are some great posts on ammonia - it'll help you break down what is really going on.  

• Options
    @chickpea912 I have a fabric question for you. I am buying some fabric for more diaper making and am trying to decide between cotton velour and bamboo velour. Which one will stay softer after multiple washes? Which is more absorbent? Any other thoughts?
    @StrawberryDreams219 I'm not entirely sure - sorry!  My only experience with the two different fabrics is when I've been a part of custom groups for my favorite WAHM.  I know people have a preference, and one of those two fabrics tends to get sherpa before long, but I can't remember which.  Wish I could be more help.  Maybe consult Google?

• Options
    @chickpea912 I have a fabric question for you. I am buying some fabric for more diaper making and am trying to decide between cotton velour and bamboo velour. Which one will stay softer after multiple washes? Which is more absorbent? Any other thoughts?
    @StrawberryDreams219 I'm not entirely sure - sorry!  My only experience with the two different fabrics is when I've been a part of custom groups for my favorite WAHM.  I know people have a preference, and one of those two fabrics tends to get sherpa before long, but I can't remember which.  Wish I could be more help.  Maybe consult Google?
    That's ok. I asked google but got a 50/50 answer. I decided to go with bamboo since it's production is more sustainable. I'm sure my baby butts will be fine! Is Twinkie tush the wahm company you are talking about? If so I was drooling all over those diapers yesterday but there is no way I could afford them. Hopefully I can rig up a poor woman's Twinkie tush with my sewing machine :)
    Yep! They were referred to me as good diapers for overnight.  I'm obsessed.

• Options
    @jwarnerb, I was told at least 6 nb covers if I wanted to do laundry every two days.  They estimate about 3 covers a day, because you can just wipe them out in between like you said.  I think two would prompt me to be doing laundry every day. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    @Lilygrace48- Thanks!  I will get a couple more and then see how it goes and if I need to purchase more.  

I wish I knew exactly how big the baby is and exactly how much it will grow in X amount of time!  ~searches for crystal ball~

@MommyWaldron- I really hope you can get a very satisfactory "I told you so" in the next couple of months!!!

June '14 June Siggy "Summer Heat"
    Coming Soon

• Options
    Just checking in since a bunch of us have had babies. How are people doing? Anyone using their cloth yet? Have any questions now that you're in the thick of it? Anyone currently waiting in baby who have any questions?

• Options
    @chickpea912 I have a question.  So I now have 12 simplex newborns, because the 6 I had were working pretty well.  I do think that he's still a *little* bit too small in his legs because twice a teeny amount of poo has escaped (but you can kinda see a bit of a gap) so should I stuff the diapers with inserts to maybe fill that out a bit?  Or just leave it be and he'll grow into them? It's nothing disastrous by any means and his skin fares much better with cloth than with disposables.  I bought yum bum butter which works really well because he was chafing in his thighs from the disposables.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MommyP710 said:
    @chickpea912 I have a question.  So I now have 12 simplex newborns, because the 6 I had were working pretty well.  I do think that he's still a *little* bit too small in his legs because twice a teeny amount of poo has escaped (but you can kinda see a bit of a gap) so should I stuff the diapers with inserts to maybe fill that out a bit?  Or just leave it be and he'll grow into them? It's nothing disastrous by any means and his skin fares much better with cloth than with disposables.  I bought yum bum butter which works really well because he was chafing in his thighs from the disposables.

I wouldn't add anything - it will likely make the gap worse. Don't you just love the simplex, though? I really want more. How big is he now? He might need to fill out a teeny bit more, or play with the fit when putting them on him.

• Options
    chickpea912chickpea912 member
    edited May 2014
    Just checking in since a bunch of us have had babies. How are people doing? Anyone using their cloth yet? Have any questions now that you're in the thick of it? Anyone currently waiting in baby who have any questions?
    I've missed you, @chickpea912 :-)

I think we have 22 cloth diapers now (all Bumgenius 4.0). Caleb just weighed in at 8 pounds. I need to prepare them but I'm nervous to start, for some reason! I need to just set a day… Monday it is. We're living with DH's parents for a while, and that's when they go back to work. Then I can try without them breathing down my neck. (MIL read the one sheet of paper given to use from the cloth diaper store and now she thinks she knows everything about cloth. Gimme some time to play, woman!)

I've been around, but now that I think about it, I've likely been lurking more than actively participating in the board. Oops. :) Prepping 4.0s is pretty simple - one wash. Oh, and don't be surprised if they end up a little big or if you have some leaks. I think they say 10-35 pounds, but it found they didn't fit M well until around 12 weeks pounds. Every kid is different, but I wanted it give you a heads up. Glad MIL seems positive about fluff!

ETA: Brain fart

• Options
    MommyP710 said:

I wouldn't add anything - it will likely make the gap worse. Don't you just love the simplex, though? I really want more. How big is he now? He might need to fill out a teeny bit more, or play with the fit when putting them on him.
    I'm not quite sure how big he is...I'd say closing in on the 7 pound range.  But he does have these long skinny legs...no meat to his thighs :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @chickpea912  I want more cloth wipes.  What type of fabric would you recommend?  Is just one layer enough or should I double layer them?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MommyP710 said:
    @chickpea912  I want more cloth wipes.  What type of fabric would you recommend?  Is just one layer enough or should I double layer them?
    @MommyP710 I've never made my own, but I know some people use flannel, some use terry, others use cotton velour or bamboo velour.  Or you can just use those cheap wash cloths they sell :)  That's what I do :)

• Options
    MommyP710 said:
    @MommyP710 I've never made my own, but I know some people use flannel, some use terry, others use cotton velour or bamboo velour.  Or you can just use those cheap wash cloths they sell :)  That's what I do :)
    I've been using the wash cloths and actually just got 2 $5 rewards for BRU.  Maybe I'll just go buy two more packs :) Thanks!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MommyP710 said:
    MommyP710 said:
    I've been using the wash cloths and actually just got 2 $5 rewards for BRU.  Maybe I'll just go buy two more packs :) Thanks!
    If you want to splurge, I LOVE these... I might have to buy more.

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    MommyP710 said:

I have double layer flannel ones. I love them. I bought them on etsy though because I have no sewing abilities. If you have sewing abilities I have friends who have cut up swaddles to make wipes
  • Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited June 2014
    When you guys say flannel, do you mean I could go to the fabric store and just pick up any old flannel for wipes? ETA for some.reason I can't see how flannel is absorbent and doesn't just push poop around. Obviously I have no idea that a just what I picture lol
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    chickpea912chickpea912 member
    edited June 2014
    MrsRahl said:

When you guys say flannel, do you mean I could go to the fabric store and just pick up any old flannel for wipes? ETA for some.reason I can't see how flannel is absorbent and doesn't just push poop around. Obviously I have no idea that a just what I picture lol

It doesn't need to be absorbent. You just need it to pick up the poo. Disposable wipes aren't absorbent either.

• Options

MrsRahl said:

It doesn't need to be absorbent. You knits need it to pick up the poo. Disposable wipes aren't absorbent either.
    Good point. I guess what I was imagining is wash cloths to be more grabby?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsRahl said:

MrsRahl said:

It doesn't need to be absorbent. You knits need it to pick up the poo. Disposable wipes aren't absorbent either.
    Good point. I guess what I was imagining is wash cloths to be more grabby?
    The washcloths I have are decently grabby. I've never used flannel - everything I have is terry (washcloths) or velour.

• Options
    Our girls only fit into the bummis super brite and the lil joey's at the moment. Given how much they poop (ALL THE TIME! lol) I'm holding off on the lil joey's for right now since we'll blow through those in seconds flat. I ordered more bummis (covers) at 2 am a few days ago and I'm counting down the days till they're here. Who ordered just one cover for two girls? Oh, this chick!

Preemie disposables are outrageous yo.

• Options

Our girls only fit into the bummis super brite and the lil joey's at the moment. Given how much they poop (ALL THE TIME! lol) I'm holding off on the lil joey's for right now since we'll blow through those in seconds flat. I ordered more bummis (covers) at 2 am a few days ago and I'm counting down the days till they're here. Who ordered just one cover for two girls? Oh, this chick!

They are expensive and they only come in small packs! Annoying!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MommyP710 said:

They are expensive and they only come in small packs! Annoying!
    Seriously, 30 diapers? We go through that in a a little over 24 hours!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"