June 2014 Moms
Options

Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

Re: Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    @spittler2‌ I am not certain but I would guess that your washer has the ability to heat the water to 150 if it says that's the temp it uses so I don't think setting your water heater lower would prevent that.
  • Options
    @spittler2‌ I don't have a fancy machine so I don't pay close attention when my front loading friends have discussed this, but I seem to recall hearing that you should NOT use the sanitize cycle.

I also find a warm pre-rinse works best. There is a scientific explanation for it in the washing blog posts from Its the Cloth that Counts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So...I changed Charlie this morning ahter a poop but no pee. The prefold was stuck to his balls. O would be uncomfortable if that were me. Can I assume I didn't let them dry enough before I put the diaper on?

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    Thanks @StrawberryDreams219‌ ! What about the fact that he can't really bend at the waist when in cloth diapers...or put his little legs out sideways like he would need to sit on my hip when he gets bigger? Am I doing something wrong or does he just need to grow into his diapers a bit more?

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    lynkatlynkat member
    I'm not sure if anyone already posted about this but I got an email from shopdiapers.com promoting a new type of cloth diaper. I can't speak for the quality just yet but they are a great deal right now! And if you spend $39 you get another diaper free. I got 5 diapers for about $30 including shipping.
    https://www.shopdiaper.com/regular-customers-only/?utm_campaign=sophie0715

Code is july5
  • Options
    OK so I boiled my hemp inserts for 25 minutes. Air dried. Then washed on hot in washing machine 2 times with tide and air dried. Did I have to heat dry and is that all the prepping? Also can I wash them with the bum genius 4.0s from now on?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsRahl said:
    OK so I boiled my hemp inserts for 25 minutes. Air dried. Then washed on hot in washing machine 2 times with tide and air dried. Did I have to heat dry and is that all the prepping? Also can I wash them with the bum genius 4.0s from now on?

You should be fine.

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    I'm so frustrated. We have another yeast rash. The last one took a week to get rid of and I treated our diapers and it's already back :(
  • Options
    I looove when my entire stash is all clean at the same time. I've been actually managing to keep things organized, which is hard for me.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member

I looove when my entire stash is all clean at the same time. I've been actually managing to keep things organized, which is hard for me.

Funny, I feel overwhelmed when my whole stash is clean because I don't have room for all the diapers. But I have a ridiculously large stash
  • Options
    MNOpea said:

Funny, I feel overwhelmed when my whole stash is clean because I don't have room for all the diapers. But I have a ridiculously large stash
    I literally have just enough to get through two days, so every other evening I do laundry.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    Does anyone use kawaii pockets? They have a great deal going and I am tempted...

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member

Does anyone use kawaii pockets? They have a great deal going and I am tempted...

I have a few of their good night heavy wetters.
  • Options

We use the Kawaii pure and naturals. I really like them! And they were super affordable. What's the deal?
    24 of their heavy duty wetters with 48 inserts and a free wet bag for $129. I bit the bullet and bought them. :)

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    MNOpea said:
    I'm so frustrated. We have another yeast rash. The last one took a week to get rid of and I treated our diapers and it's already back :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STUCK IN QUOTE BOX

My LO just got a rash too and she was totally fine up until now :( We've been CD for  only 2 weeks now though and last night was her first night exclusively in cloth because we were using disposables at night to use them up.  I'm wondering if being in the cloth longer at night caused it :(
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MNOpea said:
    @MNOpea What kind of diapers?  How did you treat?  Did you get diagnosed by a doctor?  What did you use to treat?  

My experience with yeast is pretty decent - M got yeast rashes often when she was in diapers.  It's a pain in the ass, which is why I switched to paper diapers when S got her first one.  So far we haven't had a reoccurrence.  

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    @chickpea912‌ GMD workhorses and fuzzibunz. I did get diagnosed by a dr and we switched to sposies and treated with nystatin. I treated my diapers with grapefruit seed extract, tea tree oil, and even a capful of bleach. I'm going to do the same this time but then sun the heck out of them too
  • Options
    @MNOpea Good luck!

• Options

How long should I wait to use cloth diapers after my LO's yeast rash clears up?

Some people never stop. I usually wait a few days post clear skin if I've switched to paper diapers, but I think I've seen seven days mentioned to be super safe.

• Options
    Liners or spray for ff poop, right?

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options

Liners or spray for ff poop, right?

I'm half and half ff and bf, and I don't find I need to spray. I never did with m either. If you find your machine isn't getting them clean, then maybe add in spray or liners.

• Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited July 2014
    I just wanted to tell all of you ladies how awesome you all are for helping me and for this epic thread! We've been successfully CD over night (and all day) now for over a week with no snafus! Special shout out to @chickpea912‌ for all of the awesome info!

Now this wouldn't be a proper post without a question! Lol I have a stash of 22 BG 4.0s and I line dry the shells. How many diapers do you all get down to before you start laundry? I've been starting around 12-15 so I don't run out by the time the shells are done being washed and air drying (inserts dry in dryer), but I feel like by the time I go through the whole washing and air drying it's time to start another load and I'm stuck in the 12 diaper cycle. (Holy run on sentence) so what do you ladies do?

Edit: spell fail
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    I just wash diapers every night (I have 2 in cloth). I don't wait for a number, when I just had my toddler we washed every other night. By night I mean I wash the diapers after bedtime and then take them out in the morning and air dry the shells and throw inserts on the dryer
  • Options
    We have 24 diapers and I use the dryer for inserts and covers. I wash every other day, waiting until I have about four diapers left clean in his room and at least one in the diaper bag in case we go out.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    Basically what the other ladies said - I wash every three days, so it's more a matter of time than number of remaining diapers.  I used to line dry my shells, but frankly I just toss EVERYTHING in the dryer now.  I just wait for them to cool before I stuff anything.  That being said, I also have a really large stash, so if I had fewer diapers, I'd probably wash every other day.

I'm glad it's working out for you, @MrsRahl!

• Options
    UGH, I can't tell if my PUL is dead or my fit is just all wacked out.  It seems like we are always leaking on his right leg, with a couple dipes that randomly appear to leak other places.  
    I'm wondering if I need to wait another couple weeks for a better fit around the legs (bumgenius 4.0 copies).  I might be off to the store for sposies tomorrow as I just realized I forgot to throw the dirty ones in the wash...I was hoping to do 2 cycles in case it was a repelling issue.
    @saltypearl - Could be fit.  How old are the diapers?  I feel like when I've seen PUL issues, you can actually see holes in it - I've even had a diaper delaminate and still work just fine since there were no holes.

How old and big is baby now?  When they leak, is the insert totally saturated?  If yes, they're leaking because there's no place else for the urine to go.  If no, it could be a leak.

Repelling issues - are these new or used diapers?  If new, very likely NOT a repelling issue unless you've been using lots of non-CD safe creams.  I feel like we all worry about repelling, but it's hard to get to the point of repelling actually happening.  Usually repelling gets blamed for fit issues.

When you say they sometimes leak elsewhere than the right leg - where?  If they leak, say, right in the center of the crotch, then maybe it's a PUL issue.  But if they are leaking around the leg holes or around the waist band, those are all sort of normal places for leaks to happen.

• Options
    Although I have enough CDs for 3 days, we're still not able to use CDs 100% of the time because of leaks.  It's better now that DD is a bit bigger, but I think she might just have a non-standard build (thin for her height) so I don't know if we'll ever be able to do CDs all the time.  We need to use AIOs because it was the only way I could get DH on board.

Therefore, we're not out of clean diapers in 3 days, however I find that I prefer to wash then anyway.  Otherwise I feel they smell a bit rancid.  We also use cloth wipes almost exclusively (I do have a pack of disposables in the diaper bag), so we run out of those in a few days.
    image    image

• Options
    temursgirltemursgirl member
    edited July 2014
    @spittler2 we're not using CDs overnight because of leaking.  I'm clearly not expert at diapering and we are using AIOs and have fit issues.  DD also sleeps for a long stretch at night and I prefer to keep her on her natural schedule (not waking to feed, etc.).  As far as redness, everyone is different but DD gets it from disposables, not cloth.  I don't know why, but I'm thinking it's whatever the thing is that keeps the moisture off the skin.  I have the same issue with pads like Always that have that layer thing.

edit:  lots of typos
    :-\"
    image    image

• Options
    @Temurlang1 I have heard that Fuzzibunz are good for long thing babies.  You could always wait to see if LO chunks up, or you could try those.

Out of curiosity, why not try pockets?  Once they're stuffed, they're as convenient as AIOs?  (I ask b/c FBs are pockets)

@spittler2 I've always used CDs overnight - I've had a couple of bad experiences using disposables overnight (woke up one morning to M absolutely covered in little gel beads.  Pretty disgusting).  If you're concerned about leaking, I'd add absorbency with another doubler, and if you're concerned about wetness, I'd use a fleece liner, which will keep LO drier.

• Options
    temursgirltemursgirl member
    edited July 2014
    @chickpea912 I have a FB.  It's still big for DD, so I haven't really tried it.  I have a few pocket diapers (I just pre-stuff so DH considers them AIOs) but they all seem a bit large for her so far.  It's getting better though.  A couple of weeks ago nothing fit except the Lil Joeys.  The best fitting right now are Simplex and Tot Bots.

ETA:  I have used the FB and two of the other pockets unsuccesfully, but I think it might just be the size, so I'm planning on re-trying as DD grows.
    image    image

• Options
    @chickpea912 I have a FB.  It's still big for DD, so I haven't really tried it.  I have a few pocket diapers (I just pre-stuff so DH considers them AIOs) but they all seem a bit large for her so far.  It's getting better though.  A couple of weeks ago nothing fit except the Lil Joeys.  The best fitting right now are Simplex and Tot Bots.

ETA:  I have used the FB and two of the other pockets unsuccesfully, but I think it might just be the size, so I'm planning on re-trying as DD grows.
    @temurlang1 Good luck!!!

• Options
    I'm jealous that you ladies get to even try out nighttime solutions.  We still don't go more than 3-4 hours without waking up to eat, so he always gets changed. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I did want to mention that there are many solutions for nighttime as babies sleep longer (and therefore need more absorbency).  My two "go to"s are:

Heavy fitted plus cover (either a PUL cover or wool) - I really like Twinkie Tush fitteds, but Sustainablebabyish (sbish) are also really good.

Pocket plus extra inserts - I usually use my regular BG 4.0s and add an extra hemp insert - the hemp is absorbent for a longer period of time than the microfiber, but the microfiber absorbs more quickly, so I pair them together.

Don't get discouraged with cloth - for most issues there are easy fixes or tweaks - overnight is just another puzzle to solve.

• Options
    @spittler2‌ I have just recently took the plunge to overnight CDing and it's been fine. I had the same fear. I lather her bum up with CJs BUTTer just for the extra moisture barrier (Its CD safe) and smells amazing. Anyway I have just been using bungenius 4.0s regular insert snapped to the smallest setting (so the back is thick) and has been working great.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @chickpea912‌

With your nighttime solution, do you include a stay dry layer? I am thinking about GMD workhorse (but will check out sbish per your reco) with wool soaker, but I worry about moisture on her skin all night (she sleeps 5-6 hour stretches). TIA!
  • Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    @Temurlang1‌ what size fuzzibunz do you have? I've been using my os since about 9lbs I just had to super adjust the elastic. You could probably get them to fit if you're using os. (Although as I was typing this I realized you probably have china made elites not turkey made and the china ones are bigger than turkey)
  • Options
    kayzilly said:
    @chickpea912‌ With your nighttime solution, do you include a stay dry layer? I am thinking about GMD workhorse (but will check out sbish per your reco) with wool soaker, but I worry about moisture on her skin all night (she sleeps 5-6 hour stretches). TIA!
    @kayzilly When I use my pockets, that already has the stay dry layer of the suedecloth.  With my regular fitteds (which, tbh, is my main nighttime diaper), I do not normally include a stay dry layer.  I've never had it bother her in the morning.  I slather her with coconut oil at night, and give her another slather in the morning, and we're good to go.

• Options
    @MNOpea‌ I got the wrong diaper actually. It's the Thirsties that's too big still. I have a FB perfect fit XS. It's pretty good, although I prefer Simplex and Tot Bots. Lil Joeys still fit too, and those work well for DD.
    image    image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"