June 2014 Moms
Options

Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

Re: Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

• Options
    I tried the g diapers with my last one. They didn't work for us. This time I read a ton of reviews on amazon and bought the bum genius all in ones. I love them. They are working great for my 22 month old. I bought swaddlebees newborn simplex all in ones to use on our newborn until she is big enough for the bum genius. Some things that we use to help make the process easier are the cloth diaper sprayer ( hook it up to the toilet ), the spray pal, and rockin green laundry detergent. We use cloth wipes too. I wish I had started this sooner :)
  • Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    @shannonliggett‌ my 2 year olds diapers have always left red marks on him where the elastic is when the diapers fit him correctly, he's just super fair and easily "marks". Doesn't mean that's the same for everyone, just our experience!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Okay ladies, I need help. LO is 4 weeks old and we have been using BumGenius 4.0s and Freetimes. He has been leaking out of them overnight (which is just 2-3 hours between changings, like during the day). We switched from pockets (newborn insert) to the AIOs for nighttime and it's still happening. The elastic is pretty tight around his legs. What else should we try? What am I doing wrong? Tonight we'll use the thicker insert in the pocket, but we tried the AIOs because those two pads are pretty thick. Grr.

ETA: Paging @chickpea912 :-)
    @shannonliggett Sorry - I've been mostly mobile lately, so I didn't get the page.

How big is LO?  S is 4 1/2 weeks and I still have her in newborn diapers, but I'm thinking of trying out our BG 4.0s soon.  M fit into the 4.0s around 12 pounds (I don't think I tried earlier, but that is what I remember our starting weight was), and I generally hear 10-12 pounds is around when they start to work.  

So, leaking - when you take the insert out of the diaper, is it soaked?  If it is soaked, it's an absorbency issue - change more often or put more stuff in there (how frequently are you changing?).

If it is wet in some areas but not in others, it COULD be a repelling issue, but I'm going to guess not this early in - if we were many months in, I would offer up repelling as a possibility, but you haven't had time to create a problem, I don't think.

If it isn't wet all over, it's likely a fit issue.

There isn't much prep for either the 4.0 or the Freetime - they're both made of synthetic materials, which require no prep beyond a quick wash (which I think is mainly to get rid of manufacturing/shipping ickies than to actually prep)
    Home from the hospital for a few days and hoping to start our cloth tomorrow. Trouble is, Felix had antibiotics so now he's got a yeast diaper rash. Lotrimin is no good on cloth diapers, I hear. Would a cut up t-shirt liner do the trick?
    @lyracelesti  We actually just got the yeast rash (well, he said combo bacterial/fungal, but same diff) dx this week.  Not happy about it - I've been through the yeast ringer too many times with M, was hoping for a different course with S.

You didn't ask, but I'll tell you what we're doing - switched to paper until it's gone.  Not everyone does this, and you can absolutely just line the diapers with something (I usually used fleece squares/rectangles when dealing with non-CD safe stuff) to protect from the cream.  The bigger issue is the yeast itself and disinfecting the diapers.  I don't think I've ever had a recurrence of yeast from the diapers themselves, but it's always one of the things you try to take care of when you're dealing with yeast, just in case.

So to answer your question, yes, I'm sure a cut up t-shirt would work just fine in protecting your diapers, and I would absolutely wash those liners separately from your diapers (you don't want the washed cream to get back onto  your diapers - it would defeat the purpose of using the liners to begin with.

To deal with the yeast - my queen of all things cloth related is Stephanie over at Abby's Lane (online store) - her blog is It's the Cloth that Counts.  Go there, search yeast.  She's amazing and has answered my emails a number of times when dealing with this or that. 

Quick run down - to disinfect pocket diapers (or really, any diaper that ISN'T a WAHM-made diaper with pretty printed outer fabrics) - wash on HOT, then wash with bleach.  Real bleach, not color-safe bleach.  

If you have a pretty outer fabric, or if you want to try to go more natural, TTO (tea tree oil) and GSO (grape seed oil) have been used for this purpose.  I want to say you use 10 drops of TTO (not sure about GSO), but I'd google it to see what others do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Options
    MNOpea said:
    @shannonliggett‌ my 2 year olds diapers have always left red marks on him where the elastic is when the diapers fit him correctly, he's just super fair and easily "marks". Doesn't mean that's the same for everyone, just our experience!
    Pretty much the same here.  I'm sure LO would let you know if he was uncomfortable :)

• Options

@StrawberryDreams219 and @chickpea912, thank you so much for the advice! Chickpea, I've found the blog, thank you! We're using prefolds and covers while he's in size ones, so I don't feel so bad about having to bleach the prefolds. Still, though, we had picked today to transition from disposables to cloth and maybe, after knowing that you use paper during a yeast infection, I may just stick with that for a couple more days. It should be over soon after all.

Thanks again ladies. Much obliged!
    I have definitely done both. Just didn't feel like dealing with yeast in cloth this time, especially with a prescription cream and a couple of open sores. Bad history with it. Good luck!

• Options
    @chickpea912, question on fit.  How do I know when he's grown out of our infant prefolds?  Right now they cover him from just under his belly button all the way through his legs and up to cover his whole bum, but only just.  The sides meet around his sides if I do the newspaper fold, but I just tried the jellyroll and like it way better.  The covers, when tight enough, leave little marks on his thighs, but I mark easily as well and so does C, so I guess that doesn't really bug me much.  Do I just keep using these until he starts peeing/blowing out?  I feel like I'm over thinking this. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    @hampire, I really like Thirsties.  They are velcro so it's easy in the middle of the night, rather than dealing with lots of snaps.  I'd be careful with the gerbers, I got some that I'm using as burp rags, seeing them next to an actual cloth diaper kind of drove home the differences. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options

@chickpea912, question on fit.  How do I know when he's grown out of our infant prefolds?  Right now they cover him from just under his belly button all the way through his legs and up to cover his whole bum, but only just.  The sides meet around his sides if I do the newspaper fold, but I just tried the jellyroll and like it way better.  The covers, when tight enough, leave little marks on his thighs, but I mark easily as well and so does C, so I guess that doesn't really bug me much.  Do I just keep using these until he starts peeing/blowing out?  I feel like I'm over thinking this. 

They should cover in front and all the way through the butt crack, I think. I'm not the best resource on prefolds though, so perhaps someone else has advice.

• Options
    @chickpea912‌ I am officially obsessed with Twinkie Tush. Do you use a cover for yours? I am part of the fan page and everyone posts pics of their LO with just the diapers, but they aren't water proof.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MommyP710 said:

@chickpea912‌ I am officially obsessed with Twinkie Tush. Do you use a cover for yours? I am part of the fan page and everyone posts pics of their LO with just the diapers, but they aren't water proof.

They are pretty awesome!

I use mine mainly for overnight (well, in the past with M), so I would use a cover - either wool or a PUL cover like a Flip or something else. But others don't - if you're hanging around the house, you can often go a couple of hours before the outer of the diaper gets wet, especially now with the Fusion diapers having a layer of fleece (I think that's what she uses) that keeps the wetness in a bit longer. If you had a heavy wetter, it might get damp on the outside sooner, but maybe not.

I have two TT newborn size diapers and a good number of one size. Haven't tried the one size on yet. They'll be huge.

• Options

MommyP710 said:

They are pretty awesome!

I use mine mainly for overnight (well, in the past with M), so I would use a cover - either wool or a PUL cover like a Flip or something else. But others don't - if you're hanging around the house, you can often go a couple of hours before the outer of the diaper gets wet, especially now with the Fusion diapers having a layer of fleece (I think that's what she uses) that keeps the wetness in a bit longer. If you had a heavy wetter, it might get damp on the outside sooner, but maybe not.

I have two TT newborn size diapers and a good number of one size. Haven't tried the one size on yet. They'll be huge.
    I got one newborn size off of the fan page and one OS from a stocking, plus have joined a couple custom groups and did the pre-order of smash in the little tush size and OS. It's become a problem fairly quickly :/. I think the little tush will be better than OS for us for a while at least because Max is still fairly small and has skinny legs. I have ordered fusions for the extra absorbancy factor. I am hoping there will be a cute pattern this week so I can get it in that size to check it out. And then I need to block myself from purchases lol!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @MommyP710‌ I hear ya. I've been on the TT craze for three years. Every week I hope for nothing too desirable. I think my last obsession was herbology - I have it in a teeny tush and a tiny tush.

• Options
    I found this awesome video on how to do the different folds for prefolds, it was a huge help! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDqa45EOHfE&feature=youtu.be

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    @JamieSejkora‌ I have two pail liners that fit into 13 gallon trash cans that I rotate as I do laundry. I have two medium wet bags that go in the diaper bag. However, I don't have daycare as an issue. So far this is working really well for me. The liners have plenty of room to do laundry every two days and would probably for three days worth.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    @JamieSejkora‌ I have two pail liners that fit into 13 gallon trash cans that I rotate as I do laundry. I have two medium wet bags that go in the diaper bag. However, I don't have daycare as an issue. So far this is working really well for me. The liners have plenty of room to do laundry every two days and would probably for three days worth.
    This is what I have, including day care. Maybe get larger wet bags for day care days instead of medium, but I have found this to work for us.

• Options
    I'm blanking out on this one. .. can I wash my bumgenius mf with other baby clothes if I'm washing all in tide powder? I just want to wash 1 or 2 diapers I am testing out to see if they fit lo yet and don't want to get stuck washing just 2.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsRahl said:
    I'm blanking out on this one. .. can I wash my bumgenius mf with other baby clothes if I'm washing all in tide powder? I just want to wash 1 or 2 diapers I am testing out to see if they fit lo yet and don't want to get stuck washing just 2.
    @MrsRahl If you're just prepping them (in this case, just giving them a quick wash before a first wear), I'd say sure - no reason not to.  I'd say you could even do it with dirty diapers, just be sure to do a rinse cycle first.  Since washing only a couple of diapers on their own is not very economical with water and energy, they actually don't wash as well without other items to agitate against.

• Options
    @KrystaJ‌ @chickpea912‌ I meant dirty diapers :) lo is still only 9.5 lbs but I wanted to give my 4.0s a try and only want to use 1 or 2 if they don't work out quite yet but don't want to run a load of just 2 diapers lol
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited June 2014
    How often do you change throughout the day? Tried the 4.0s today and DD soaked through one completely in 3 hrs. She was napping during that time. I was only using the insert that doesn't have the snap, the shorter one. Is that the newborn insert I thought? Do I have to change more often or just use the thicker insert? I'm thinking she's possibly just too small yet because the leak was out of the leg hole... she is 9lb 5 oz.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    How do you know when to snap the diaper bigger?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    MrsRahl said:

How often do you change throughout the day? Tried the 4.0s today and DD soaked through one completely in 3 hrs. She was napping during that time. I was only using the insert that doesn't have the snap, the shorter one. Is that the newborn insert I thought? Do I have to change more often or just use the thicker insert? I'm thinking she's possibly just too small yet because the leak was out of the leg hole... she is 9lb 5 oz.

I've always changed every 2-3 hours
  • Options
    I usually change every 2-3 hours and use the larger insert.

• Options
    @chickpea912‌ @MNOpea‌ I don't want to change whole she's sleeping now that she's finally sleeping longer increments. What kind of inserts do you use for nighttime that you've liked?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsRahl said:

@chickpea912‌ @MNOpea‌ I don't want to change whole she's sleeping now that she's finally sleeping longer increments. What kind of inserts do you use for nighttime that you've liked?

I usually pair the regular large mf insert with hemp or bamboo underneath. The ones I love aren't made anymore, but I have used thirstiest hemp in the past.

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    MrsRahl said:

When my first was little we just used the 2 inserts that came with the diapers, then we went through a disposable at night phase, then different combinations, but mf and a bamboo blend is my preferred one, but now we are back in disposables at night :( I'm thinking of getting a few fitteds to try. My new little isn't in cloth yet, hopefully tomorrow!
  • Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited June 2014
    I'm already dealing with diaper rash. Coconut oil isn't cutting it. Suggestions on cloth safe cream you've used? I've checked the pinstripes and polka dots page but still don't know what to choose. DD has small red bumps on her left bum cheek. Edit to add I have been since using disposables and a&d with a diaper change every 2-3 hours
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsRahl‌ someone here recommendrecommended Bum Yum Butter. I ordered it from Amazon and it has worked great! (Also Wtf with typo above? Won't let me delete)

I asked this before and nobody responded. How do you know when to snap to a bigger size? We've had some leaking lately and I don't know if size is the ississue or if DS is just a heavy wetter. (Again, another weird undeletable typo?)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lyracelesti‌ she hasn't been on antibiotics and was in cloth for only 2 Daus with disposables in between so I don't think the cloth need stripped but it seems to be cleaning up more during the day?? So weird. Maybe it is part heat rash as someone else mentioned.

Btw. How much tide powder do I use for each size loads? What are you ladies using to wash with now? Also I'd suspect she had a tide allergy except I wash all her clothes in it too.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Bozzy2Bozzy2 member
    My diaper service starts today!
  • Options
    chickpea912chickpea912 member
    edited June 2014
    wareagle1220 said: Tried out the Lil joey tonight and LO peed right through it. I think I have a super soaker on my hands. I'm thinking I'll just have to add an extra insert to my pockets for night time? I have some bamboo inserts I was going to use. --------------------------------- @wareagle1220 How long was LO in the diaper before the leak?  If it was immediate, yeah, probably a fit issue.  If it was a while and the diaper was soaked, it's an absorbency issue (those are the two leak possibilities - fit or absorbency) - and by issue, I just mean that the diaper filled up and the liquid needed a place to go.  So you can a) add more absorbency with other inserts or b) change more frequently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MrsRahl said:
    I'm already dealing with diaper rash. Coconut oil isn't cutting it. Suggestions on cloth safe cream you've used? I've checked the pinstripes and polka dots page but still don't know what to choose. DD has small red bumps on her left bum cheek. Edit to add I have been since using disposables and a&d with a diaper change every 2-3 hours
    --------------------------------
    @MrsRahl If you see raised red dots, I would have her checked out by a physician.  Coconut oil is great to use for many reasons, but when I need a little more protection/healing, I use California Baby.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MommyP710 said:
    @MrsRahl‌ someone here recommendrecommended Bum Yum Butter. I ordered it from Amazon and it has worked great! (Also Wtf with typo above? Won't let me delete) I asked this before and nobody responded. How do you know when to snap to a bigger size? We've had some leaking lately and I don't know if size is the ississue or if DS is just a heavy wetter. (Again, another weird undeletable typo?)
    -----------------------------------------
    @MommyP710 I usually try to feel it out.  One indication is the rise - how close to a plumber's butt is the baby - that is usually one clue to adjusting the diaper.  Also, if you start getting leaks and you can eliminate absorbency as the issue, it could be fit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    MrsRahl said:
    @lyracelesti‌ she hasn't been on antibiotics and was in cloth for only 2 Daus with disposables in between so I don't think the cloth need stripped but it seems to be cleaning up more during the day?? So weird. Maybe it is part heat rash as someone else mentioned. Btw. How much tide powder do I use for each size loads? What are you ladies using to wash with now? Also I'd suspect she had a tide allergy except I wash all her clothes in it too.
    ---------------------------------------------
    For a regular load, I fill the cup to the "2" line.  It may vary from person to person based upon your water, but that is what has worked for me.  Using too little detergent can leave you with not clean, smelly diapers, and using too much can leave behind residue and soap, which would also give you stink issues.  When I'm playing with my wash routine, I sometimes peak in during the second rinse to see if I see a bunch of bubbles - this could indicate there is still soap in the wash, and you'd either want to add another rinse and/or decrease the amount of soap.

• Options
    @chickpea912  do you know anything about tide free and gentle powder?  That is what I used for my first wash, and now I'm a little paranoid beings I hear bad things about "free" detergents, but this is a powder and I can't find much about it just with google.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsRahl said:
    @chickpea912  do you know anything about tide free and gentle powder?  That is what I used for my first wash, and now I'm a little paranoid beings I hear bad things about "free" detergents, but this is a powder and I can't find much about it just with google.  

My go to place says it isn't as good as regular tide but not a bad option. https://thecloththatcounts.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/detergent/

• Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited June 2014
    @StrawberryDreams219‌ thanks but I've been on there and tide free and gentle wasn't listed :/
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone know where to get tide original powder because everything I find is ultra tide not original :(
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @krptcmschfmkr128 Max looked bowlegged when he was first born for a couple of weeks.  From what I was told/read that is just typical of newborns because of their positioning inside the womb, so I wouldn't worry to much about it being caused by fluff :)

@MrsRahl Have you tried amazon?  I find everything I could possibly need there!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having a lot of leaks :( I'm using a variety of brands AIOs and pockets. LO came home under 6 pounds, and is now nearly 7. My friend thinks this problem will go away when she's a little bigger. Any input? Suggestions to make CDs work? I really want to CD, but they have to contain the poop!
    image    image

• Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    edited June 2014
    I really wanted to love my lil joeys because I feel like everyone else does, but I don't, at all. I can't get a good fit and we have leaks constantly. I much prefer my GMD workhorses but don't have enough. Alas I just started resizing some of my os fb elites to newborn size which I was trying to avoid because omg so many tiny buttons
  • Options
    I like the price of PFs but they're a pain in the ass at 2am when there's two wet tushies to change! Most my stash are PFs with maybe 6 AIOs... if I had one baby I'd do all AIOs honestly! Maybe once we're in the OS then I'll buy 'em.

• Options
    That reminds me... does anyone know when babies fit in the OS dipes, about how many does one baby need a day?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"