June 2014 Moms
Options

Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

Re: Cloth Diapers Anyone?!

• Options
    I started using our cloth diapers. We have a bunch of different brands, mostly one sizers. J is 12 lbs but long and lean. We are having some leaking issues around the legs. Should I wait until he chunks up a bit more? We still have disposables so that's not an issue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @chickpea912‌ we are using Kawaii pockets with a microfleece inner. We were using prefolds and while he didn't get rashy with those, he did need the talc.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    elsa1688 said:
    I started using our cloth diapers. We have a bunch of different brands, mostly one sizers. J is 12 lbs but long and lean. We are having some leaking issues around the legs. Should I wait until he chunks up a bit more? We still have disposables so that's not an issue.
    After how long in the diaper are you getting those wet spots around the legs? Can you see a gap between the diaper and his body? Are the inserts/absorbant materials wet or soaked?

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Options

elsa1688 said:

After how long in the diaper are you getting those wet spots around the legs?
    Not long - maybe an hour?

Can you see a gap between the diaper and his body?

Maybe a little? I thought I was tightening them as much as possible but I may be doing it wrong :/

Are the inserts/absorbant materials wet or soaked?
    Wet but definitely not soaked.
  • Options

elsa1688 said:

After how long in the diaper are you getting those wet spots around the legs?
    Not long - maybe an hour?

Can you see a gap between the diaper and his body?

Maybe a little? I thought I was tightening them as much as possible but I may be doing it wrong :/

Are the inserts/absorbant materials wet or soaked?
    Wet but definitely not soaked.
  • Options
    @skittler2 - Sorry to hear about the yeasties.  I've done a number of battles with the little buggers :(

If you're trying to disinfect your diapers, bleach is the number one way to go.  I'd only do this to any diapers that have a PUL exterior - your main commercial brand diapers.  WAHM diapers with a fabric exterior run the risk of bleaching out the color.  

Instead of bleach, you can use TTO (tea tree oil), GSE (grape seed extract) - google the amounts to add to your wash.

If you want to strip your diapers, I also suggest RLR - it's great.  Whenever I want to give my diapers a fresh start (not just disinfecting), I go with it.  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=RLR

• Options
    @Lilygrace48: Have you tried coconut oil? I swear by it. If my little guy has any redness or rash coconut oil goes on and by the next diaper change its usually gone. It's easy to find. Easy to put on, smells great and is cloth diaper safe. It also makes great moisturizer / lubricant for your nipples of you pump.
  • Options
    @jlripl‌ nope. He tends to get just as upset with any sort of moisture barrier as he does with moisture. We normally use olive oil and bees wax. He's been in disposables and talc all weekend while we were at my mom's house and he's all cleared up. I'm starting up the cloth again and will be using talc to see if that helps.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    MegEL85 said:

I'm just going to leave this here.

Ain't that the truth....Le sigh
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just a SS rant that I have about $75 in babies r us gift cards that I planned on using on CD. I waited a few days to decide on colors and order and the BG pockets were all gone in just 2 days! :( and It doesn't look like they'll be restocking as their supply has drastically dropped even since my shower in early May and they didn't restock those. Grr. I'm just torn. I didn't want the elementals after I heard your gal's opinions.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just going to leave this here.
    Ain't that the truth....Le sigh
    You're welcome, @diagonalley :))

• Options
    MrsRahl said:

Just a SS rant that I have about $75 in babies r us gift cards that I planned on using on CD. I waited a few days to decide on colors and order and the BG pockets were all gone in just 2 days! :( and It doesn't look like they'll be restocking as their supply has drastically dropped even since my shower in early May and they didn't restock those. Grr. I'm just torn. I didn't want the elementals after I heard your gal's opinions.

Can you order on their website? That is pretty lame!
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1991b9.aspx[/img][/url]}
  • Options
    So we have decided that his rash, which only happens in the kawaiis and only around where pee touches him, is an ammonia burn. What's the best way to strip microfiber?

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    I just bought a cloth diaper stash (I know, a little behind...) and am super excited to start using it, but we still have about 84 size one disposables that I really want to use up before LO grows out of them. For those of you who use disposables out and about, how many do you keep on hand? Should I finish the whole pack of disposables or say screw it and jump full on into cloth? 

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    @sempre_staccato‌ the only time we use disposables is if we are clearing up a nasty rash and want to use non-CD safe creams or if we go away over night. I buy as I need.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    @lilygrace48 This is my Go To blog on all things CD related.  She did a great series on ammonia (when to worry, when not, how to know if you actually have an ammonia problem, etc) - it's the owner of Abby's Lane, my go to CD shop.  I did a quick search for "ammonia burn" and this is what came up: https://www.cloththatcounts.com/?s=ammonia+burn&submit=Go

That being said, my go to strip method for any type of diaper is RLR.  You can get it on Amazon and other places (I think Mom's Milk Boutique sells it, too).

@wareagle1220 I think I'm going to have to buy both.  Apparently my new obsession, aside from TT prints (thanks, @diagonalley, for re-addicting me after I addicted you?), is to collect all the BGs.

• Options

MrsRahl said:

Can you order on their website? That is pretty lame!
    unfortunately I am talking about the website!!!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    just out of curiosity,how much have your utilities gone up specifically water since you started cloth diapering? I've gone 2 months cloth diapering now and noticed my bill go up about $20 a month which in turn has caused my sewage to go up about 15 a month plus there's electric. I'm just a little annoyed because I feel i shouldn't be spending this much more on utilities. I realize it is still a lot cheaper than disposables but I am doing wash every other day and stuffing diapers so I just feel like I should save more money at this point for the hassle. However my baby does look cute in them and she hasn't had a rash yet. Any suggestions on how to cut back on any of that? My stash is only 23, I have a top loading washing machine, & I also do maximum water for each cycle.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsRahl said:

just out of curiosity,how much have your utilities gone up specifically water since you started cloth diapering? I've gone 2 months cloth diapering now and noticed my bill go up about $20 a month which in turn has caused my sewage to go up about 15 a month plus there's electric. I'm just a little annoyed because I feel i shouldn't be spending this much more on utilities. I realize it is still a lot cheaper than disposables but I am doing wash every other day and stuffing diapers so I just feel like I should save more money at this point for the hassle. However my baby does look cute in them and she hasn't had a rash yet. Any suggestions on how to cut back on any of that? My stash is only 23, I have a top loading washing machine, & I also do maximum water for each cycle.

I do a cold prewash(short cycle) then a hot wash followed by a cold second rinse. We have a well and septic so I haven't noticed much increase in electric bill. Do you hang to dry? That could reduce electricity as well as using cold water for pre wash and rinsing. My diapers are clean and have no odor this far. I have BG 4.0 mainly
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1991b9.aspx[/img][/url]}
  • Options

@wareagle1220 I think I'm going to have to buy both.  Apparently my new obsession, aside from TT prints (thanks, @diagonalley, for re-addicting me after I addicted you?), is to collect all the BGs.

:D Sharing is caring
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Aaward1658‌ I do hang dry the shells but not the inserts. I use BG 4.0s too. The inserts would take an eternity to line dry I feel. Like I'd have to have more diapers in rotation to have time to do that. Really its the water and sewage that makes me mad. Like really? An extra $20 a month for sewage? Just to dump poop water down a drain. Ugh. I mean it's still saving me a lot but I hate it's still even costing me $50 a month. Luckily my diapers were mostly all given to me at my shower so I didn't have the initial investment.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Aaward1658Aaward1658 member
    edited August 2014
    @MrsRahl‌ I line dry my inserts. I think they take about the same time to dry as the shell so I figured I'd just hang the all. The amount of water is probably not something you want to change because they won't get as clean. Are you using the regular inserts? I have about the same # of diapers and just switched from the newborn insert to the regular size and found I don't have to change wet diapers quite as often. Not sure if that could help your rotation/ schedule but obviously wouldn't change your sewer/water bill. I was actually beginning to wonder about savings this week too, but don't have a good way to track it as we moved into our house this spring and our electric bill hadn't gotten into a pattern which we'd notice an increase in.
  • Options
    MrsRahl said:
    My water bill only went up about $20/quarter, and I didn't notice my electricity bill going up much - laundry in general increased b/c of baby, so it's hard to say what was diaper-related and what was general baby laundry.

• Options
    @Aaward1658‌ I've been using the regular inserts since pretty much day 1 because the newborn ones she'd leak through in an hour. She just peed too much I guess because once I switched to the regular with the thick fold being in the back we havent leaked but maybe a few times in 2 months. I honestly haven't tried line drying the inserts but once outside in the sun. I dry my shells on our sun porch on a drying rack under a ceiling fan. But really my complaint isn't electric but water. I blame the diapers because no other amount of laundry has gone up. In fact it seems less of our regular laundry gets done now. Baby laundry I wash separately and do maybe one load a week if that because it takes that long to accumulate a baby laundry load worth washing. What gets me also is I do max water each cycle with my diapers and they still don't always come out 100% clean. I don't want to use more tide because I noticed I still see suds the last rinse and almost wonder if I need yet even another rinse! Which would make my Water bill issue even worse. I just feel like my hands are tied.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well, my diapers are in the washer for the second time today. I forgot to rinse before the wash cycle and when they came out of the dryer they were a little stinky. I hope that was the issue. Edit: update-only half smelled clean... I might do a bleach strip later. Maybe I need different detergent. For those of you that use Tide powder. About how many diapers do you wash and how much detergent do you use? Any other suggestions?
    @MommyWaldron
    What kind of stink was it?  When they came out of the dryer, did they smell poopy?  That usually means not enough detergent - what is your wash routine and what do you use?

If they smell like barn once freshly peed in, that usually means detergent build up (too much soap) and need to be stripped.

If they are new, I doubt you'd have the second problem already after only a few months of use.

I was every 2-3 days using Tide powder - warm rinse, hot wash, two cold rinses.  I wash about 18-20 diapers and fill the scoop up to the "3" line.

• Options
    *Sigh.* I am having some cloth diapering buyers remorse... I found a really great deal for 31 Motherease one sized fitteds on my local moms' facebook group and jumped at it before doing a lot of research. She was selling them for $3 a diaper! And, I managed to get her down another $15 because I took the lot, on top of which she threw in a bunch (6 I think?) of old hook and loop BumGenius. I love the BumGenius that she threw in, but I kind of hate the Motherease... they're so bulky on my LO especially once I add a cover, and sometimes, it seems like she hates them. (Also, they're so not cute!) DH says she'll get used to them, but they just don't seem comfortable for her. Should I a) soldier on in the assurance that she and I will both get used to them? b) spend more money and buy some new diapers? c) throw in the towel and go back to disposables?

PS. c is not an option.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    Cloth diaper gurus, can you offer some advice? I wasn't planning on CDing because the daycare I had picked out wouldn't take them, but I got a new job and am now a WAHM. I would love to start CDing, but am totally overwhelmed by all of the information (and the size of this thread!). Could someone recommend a good starter CD for a size 1 in disposables? Thank you in advance!
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the responses, I'll answer the questions:

I don't know much about the different types of diapers yet, but I'm doing some research.

I'd like to do CD because they look cute and seem like they'd be less irritating on baby's skin.

We don't have any CD stores around me and I'm one of 5 people that isn't on Facebook. I do go to consignment sales fairly often so I could see if there's any there.

DD is long and skinny (about 22 inches and 11 lbs).

I'll start looking at these BumGenius ones since they seem to be popular and come back if I have any more questions!
  • Options
    I'm not sure if this has been asked, but if you don't have a diaper sprayer or laundry tub how do you clean off the poop?
  • Options
    OK, I fully jumped in and bought a used lot of 18 BumGenius 4.0s. DD has been in them all day with no issues so far. I'm excited! And I really want this Softbums in Nebula. Is that brand any good?

• Options
    Hey ladies! Just wondering if after CD for a few months now if you ladies were changing LO in the motn for feedings or leaving the diaper on until morning? I know people say they only change if there is poop, but do you change only if you hear poop? Because in my cloth I can't always smell it.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't change in the middle of the night.  We don't have freq uent wakings in the MOTN, but even during the odd time that she does, I leave it on until morning.  My app tells me that it is usually 10-11 hours between those two changes.  And I use fitteds at night, so she feels it but I guess she doesn't mind.

• Options
    I tried not changing at every wake up a few weeks ago in hopes of keeping him asleep, but LO ended up with his first diaper rash as a result (we're in fitteds) so after a week of disposables and icky cream I'm back to MOTN changings.  However, I added fleece doublers and wool covers to my stash for nights, which seems to be keeping him drier, so I can feel less guilty about not changing him once (if) he ever actually starts sleeping for longer stretches. 

Me: 33, HSG & b/w normal; partial septate uterus   DH: 33, SA good but low morphology (3%)
    Started trying to make a baby Apr'12    Aug'13 DX: Unexplained Infertility
    Sept'13: 50mg Clomid + IUI #1 (13m + 11m post wash) CDs 11&12 + 200mg progesterone 3x daily =
    BFP!     
    Beta 16dpIUI = 391 EDD 6.14.14 Delivered 6.13.14
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited October 2014
    Just curious for you ladies using bum genius 4.0s, do you ever need more than the standard insert during the day? I'm having leaking out of the legs and getting very frustrated. I don't think I have repelling and I use original tide with a top loader, max water, cold then hot then cold and extra cold rinse, and line dry. I also only use CJs Butter. What do you think? I've tried different snap combos too. I'm stumped. I don't think I need to strip but should I just give it a try? And what Stripping technique should I use beings the only thing it could possibly be is tie build up? I only use up to line 2 for 20 diapers. I've tried adding an extra insert (the infant insert) and it seemed to maybe help but it is SO bulky even for cloth.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MommyWaldron‌ my routine is pretty much how I described above. I wash 20 diapers or so in tide original with Max water. I do a cold prewash, hot wash with cold rinse and an extra cold rinse at the end. I don't see suds in the last rinse. I air dry everything so no exposure to softeners. I use cloth diaper safe cream. I think maybe she's just wetting heavier but I thought the single MF insert that grows with them was suppose to be enough until they are potty trained and but she's only 4 months. I don't know what the heck is going on.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited October 2014

Hi ladies! We're trying out cloth nappies and I had some questions.. Sorry if they have been asked before, I tried to read through the previous pages but being new to it and there being so many page so many pages it was hard to keep up!

We got some Pea Pods pocket nappies with bamboo inserts and I know you are supposed to wash + dry 3 times before using to get them at maximum absorbency. Do they have to COMPLETELY dry before re-washing? The inserts are incredibly thick, are taking 2+ days to line dry and we don't have a dryer.

Since the inserts can be put into the pocket, or just snapped into the lining kind of like an AO2, would I be better off just buying lots of inserts to switch out during the day while keeping the same shell? I'm not sure if anyone else has tried this brand of CD or would be able to answer.. But spare inserts are only $10 where the whole nappy is $20.

How many cloth nappies would I need roughly to have a decent collection? The starter packs have 10.. I'm guessing that would not be enough as he has a minimum of 6 changes a day?

Any help is appreciated!

I can't help with that brand, but I use BG 4.0s and go through about 10 in 24 hours. I have 30 now which is where I'm finally comfortable washing 20 and having a days worth left over while I wash and kine dry. I do wash every 2 to 3 days max. If your inserts take that long to dry, you're going to need a lot because you'll find that by the time they're dry it's time to do laundry again which is why I bit the bullet and bought 10 more (I was gifted 20 for shower and gift cards)
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MommyWaldron‌ could I have mineral build up with city water? I could see if I lived in the country with hard water issues etc?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, I need to get some covers and would like some advice on which ones to get.  LO is 13lbs but is 25 1/4", so basically long and skinny.  I have some Target gift cards to use up and was looking at Thirsties Duo Wraps or Flips.  Pros? Cons?  Thanks! 
  • Options
    @KrystaJ‌ can I ask if your LO sleeps for long stretches at night? I was wondering what I should do for night time. It has taken me forever to get started with cloth diapering so I was excited to find these gift cards, lol. @MegEL85‌ - thanks! I feel like I've read the same things. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"