August 2018 Moms
Options

Names you actually want opinions on

Re: Names you actually want opinions on

• Options
    love Rowan, and it's on my short list. We have a Scandinavian last name, so I think it'd go really well with it. 

@calimom2524 I'm not too fond of Cora, but maybe because it's like that totally wtf movie "Coraline". I really like Piper though. I knew a fun girl in school named that and her personality was just so bubbly and she was so nice to everyone I assume anyone else named that will similarly be a good soul. heh

Ayla is a nice name, it's strong but still feminine sounding imho. *The more you know...(hand swish)* It's the main female character from Jean M. Auel's "Clan of the Cave Bear" series of books. She was a badass ahead of her time. It was pronounced "ay-lah". 
  • Options
    What was the really really really sad song that Taylor Swift wrote about the little boy who died of cancer. It was something like Rowan??

F*ck cancer. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    vinerie said:

@calimom2524 - love Fiona, Piper and Eloise! I think those are names that DH and I matched on the swipe app too! :)  Lina, Emmy and Callie are a bit too much like a nickname for me but they're pretty

How is Isla pronounced? I see it on a lot of the BMBs Birth Announcement threads but I don't know how to pronounce it
    I pronounce it like island only without the nd. So aisle-ah
    I should add that I pronounced it "Eye-SLA" in my head and couldn't figure out your note about the spelling preference your DH has. 
    He believes Ayla and Isla are pronounced the same "eye-la" and I think Ayla would be pronounced "ay-la" like the end of hay without the h. That name will probably be cut from the list because we can't agree on spelling and I also don't want baby to have to deal with explaining it their whole life either. 

I did watch OITNB and to be honest I forgot her name was Piper lol 
    Oh, I see now! And I realized I typed out my reading of the name wrong. I pronounced it "EEE-SLA" in my head. I guess my mind went to a spanish pronunciation because isla means island in spanish. Yeah, I think you'd run into pronunciation issues with that name...
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    What was the really really really sad song that Taylor Swift wrote about the little boy who died of cancer. It was something like Rowan??

F*ck cancer. 
    Ronan. :disappointed:
    April Siggy Challenge: April Showers
    68b4a0fa9283500827195ef5a5ccdd70

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!
    BFP 2.28.17, EDD 11.8.17 - baby girl, miscarried at 11 weeks on 4.21.17
    BFP 11.28.17, EDD 8.8.18, delivering in July - another rainbow baby boy!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @calimom2524 I love Piper. I always think of Charmed - she was one of my favorite characters on that show. :)

• Options
    @calimom2524 Ayala is the Hebrew spelling. DH and I were considering it. 
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• Options
    vinerie said:
    vinerie said:

@calimom2524 - love Fiona, Piper and Eloise! I think those are names that DH and I matched on the swipe app too! :)  Lina, Emmy and Callie are a bit too much like a nickname for me but they're pretty

How is Isla pronounced? I see it on a lot of the BMBs Birth Announcement threads but I don't know how to pronounce it
    I pronounce it like island only without the nd. So aisle-ah
    I should add that I pronounced it "Eye-SLA" in my head and couldn't figure out your note about the spelling preference your DH has. 
    He believes Ayla and Isla are pronounced the same "eye-la" and I think Ayla would be pronounced "ay-la" like the end of hay without the h. That name will probably be cut from the list because we can't agree on spelling and I also don't want baby to have to deal with explaining it their whole life either. 

I did watch OITNB and to be honest I forgot her name was Piper lol 
    Oh, I see now! And I realized I typed out my reading of the name wrong. I pronounced it "EEE-SLA" in my head. I guess my mind went to a spanish pronunciation because isla means island in spanish. Yeah, I think you'd run into pronunciation issues with that name...
    Me, too. Too much Spanish in my head to say it any other way. Lol. 
  • Options
    @missybutler94 I like the name Evan for a girl! I agree though that giving the same MN is too much. What about your maiden name as mn? I like Joan, too! 

His three plus my one; we are all excited to welcome a little one!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Depending on your area I doubt isla would be a problem. My oldest has a crush on an isla in his class lol, and seems like it’s bren fine for her. It’s gaining popularity lately and it’s easy to say once you know how (eye-luh is how I’ve always heard it). Isn’t there some actress named isla too? 

But those are all cute names!!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    Isla Fischer I believe. She was in definitely maybe, super cute movie. 
  • Options
    She was the crazy chick in wedding crashers haha. Also in now you see me which is an awesome movie. She’s adorable. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

• Options
    pghctwife said:
    Depending on your area I doubt isla would be a problem. My oldest has a crush on an isla in his class lol, and seems like it’s bren fine for her. It’s gaining popularity lately and it’s easy to say once you know how (eye-luh is how I’ve always heard it). Isn’t there some actress named isla too? 

But those are all cute names!!
    Yup! Plenty of Islas around here too! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are completely stuck.  What websites/apps/whatever are you guys using to find good names? 
  • Options
    @livinthesunnylife we use BabyName

• Options
    Boy we are pretty set on Leo James. Both are family names and it flows well with our last name and DS’s name.

Girls it is a whole different story. We want to use the MN LouAnn after DH’s late mother. That plus or last name makes it hard to find a name that flows well. 
    I love the name Lucy, but not sure I love Lucy LouAnn. Other contenders that have been discussed:
    Claire
    Clara
    Eleanor
    Audrey
    Emily (always have loved it, but I think it’s too common/popular for me)
    We are all over the place - any suggestions or opinions are welcome! 

Me: 34 DH: 37
    DS: 5.28.15
    DS#2: EDD 8.31.18

• Options
    @lolog531 I'm completely biased because I have a Leo also but your boy name is on point. I love Clara LouAnn, I think that's really sweet! Also, Emily isn't popular at all with babies I don't think, it's more common among people our age haha. I've always loved the name Emily. 

• Options
    @lolog531 I also think Clara LouAnn has a nice flow to it! And I agree with @calimom2524, babies these days are more Emmas and Ellas, not so much Emilys. Emily LouAnn is nice too. 

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!

• Options
    @lolog531 Leo is so great, it was a contender for DS1! 

I like Clara and Audrey the best with LouAnn 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We haven’t even started talking about names yet. I have been saving a few on my list, and we still have a list from our previous pregnancies, but I need to start talking to DH about it soon. Even though we have like 25 weeks to go hopefully :lol:

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11

• Options
    We haven’t even started talking about names yet. I have been saving a few on my list, and we still have a list from our previous pregnancies, but I need to start talking to DH about it soon. Even though we have like 25 weeks to go hopefully :lol:
    I always used to think your name was Elise Is In Moscow. I’m finally starting to get it right. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @elsieisamoocow and @calimom2524 I agree about Emily, as I don’t hear many babies with the name, I just see it on most of he top 10-20 lists and freak out! Ha! 
    Thanks for the love on the boy name. We are in love with it, so it’s part of the reason I’m hoping this is boy #2! 

Clara was our top girl name for DS, but DH doesn’t like it as much anymore. He’s set on Lucy, but I’m not 100% sold on it! I keep wavering. 

• Options
    I like the name Leo, but I think of it as an abbreviated form of Leonard or Leopold. It's odd to me on it's own. I had a friend just name her baby Leo, and I thought she was just being different, but I guess it's actually fairly common to have nick names as proper names now? I'm not sure that I'm on board with this trend, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in time.
    Me:32
    DH:45
    DSD: 20
    DSS: 18
    Team green baby due: Aug 6th, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I like the name Leo, but I think of it as an abbreviated form of Leonard or Leopold. It's odd to me on it's own. I had a friend just name her baby Leo, and I thought she was just being different, but I guess it's actually fairly common to have nick names as proper names now? I'm not sure that I'm on board with this trend, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in time.
    Leo is also a stand-alone name, not just a nickname that has evolved :)

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    pghctwife said:
    Leo is also a stand-alone name, not just a nickname that has evolved :)
    DH’s grandpa was Leo, just Leo, and not short for anything, which is why we would do it stand alone. I also thought it’s usully a nickname, but I It is also a stand alone name like @pghctwife said. 

• Options
    and I really like Leo!!! Just Leo - don’t live the longer versions. Fil is Leonard though and we aren’t looking to name after him, so it was never an option for us

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    @elsieisamoocow
    HA! At least Hosea and Beniah are actual biblical names, I don't know about the rest of them. Jaymes almost seems like an attempt at feminizing James?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Destroy is a much better name!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Another comment on the thread. Man I wish I could snark in that group! 

“I have a Talan, Reme and Cullan.”

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11

• Options
    @elsieisamoocow - I don't even know how to pronounce half of those!

So we're having actual name conversations now that we know the sex. Well, trying to. DH likes Fern but I'm 90% sure that's going to be a veto from me. Any thoughts on Margot?
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 I love Margot! Fern would be a definite no for me too.

K here goes. I'm struggling a lot more with boy names.

Girl: Alice Rosemary

Boy: Daniel Aaron
    Isaac Michael
    Jeffrey Thomas

Our last name is 3 syllables and starts with T. Rosemary is a play on both of our mother's names. 
  • Options
    mrsbubbles-2mrsbubbles-2 member
    edited February 2018
    @doctormom33 - omg I love the name Alice so much!!! It was a hard veto from DH, that one hurt. But Alice Rosemary is lovely

Your boy names are wonderful, so classic! Daniel Aaron is my favorite because that's my cousin's and DH's first names lol!

ETA: cousin, not DS. WTF is wrong with my brain this morning? Where's WTF wednesday lol!

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 I love Margot! Fern is NMS
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 I actually LOVE Fern! Margot is super cute too.
    @doctormom33 love the girl name! The boy names are classic Daniel Aaron is my favorite combo from your list.
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 I love Margot! Fern would be a definite no for me too.

K here goes. I'm struggling a lot more with boy names.

Girl: Alice Rosemary

Boy: Daniel Aaron
    Isaac Michael
    Jeffrey Thomas

Our last name is 3 syllables and starts with T. Rosemary is a play on both of our mother's names. 
    My second is Isaac Michael! We struggled on his first name but he is the sweetest nicest boy ever!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    I have just been struggling with not feeling "excited" about my boy names like I am with my girl name. They are very traditional, but I feel even worse about more modern names! I thought about Graham for about a minute, but my sister's son is Grant, and I think that would be confusing.

Do any of you with young kids feel like Daniel Tiger would ruin the name Daniel at all? My nephews are obsessed with watching "Daniel" so that's my only reservation with that name!
  • Options
    I have just been struggling with not feeling "excited" about my boy names like I am with my girl name. They are very traditional, but I feel even worse about more modern names! I thought about Graham for about a minute, but my sister's son is Grant, and I think that would be confusing.

Do any of you with young kids feel like Daniel Tiger would ruin the name Daniel at all? My nephews are obsessed with watching "Daniel" so that's my only reservation with that name!
    I don’t associate Daniel the Tiger with the name Daniel. 
  • Options
    @doctormom33 - not at all. I think the name Daniel is classic and fantastic!
    I get struggling with feeling excited. We are going to "try on" different names for a few weeks each to see if they fit, know what I mean? So if this week we call the baby Fern (lol no!) then in 2 weeks we will switch to Penelope. I like to see how it fits, if it's something I can see myself using all the time, etc. IDK if that makes sense but it helps us to start to associate the name with the baby rather than just read a list of names.

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker