August 2018 Moms
Options

Names you actually want opinions on

Re: Names you actually want opinions on

• Options
    SO suggested Seven for a girl last night. I told him he’s not allowed to name the baby. I still don’t know if he was kidding. 
    It’s not the worst. Lol. I watched that episode of Seinfeld and by the end, it wasn’t so bad. Haha. 
  • Options
    ecwk said:
    @calimom2524 totally misread Seven as Steven...not sure which would be worse!!!
    Hahaha I actually know a girl named Stevie and I’ve never understood it. I think that could be worse. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ecwk said:
    @calimom2524 totally misread Seven as Steven...not sure which would be worse!!!
    Hahaha I actually know a girl named Stevie and I’ve never understood it. I think that could be worse. 
    Oh yeah like Stevie Nicks. I guess her real name is Stephanie which makes sense! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lakesideknitter There's that actress named Ginnifer ...Ginnifer Goodwin. Ginny could be a nickname for that? Or for Genevieve? 

• Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 If we have any girls.. their middle name will have Ann in them, after my husband's side.. his mom and most of his aunts have it in either their first or middle names...

If we have a girl first, her name will be: Polly Annette and if we have a son first, his name will be: Isaac Joseph. Both family names on my husband's side. I also love the names Nicola, Jude and Caroline. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Seeking opinions on two items: 

1) The name Rowan
    2) The name Rowan if current DS's name also ends in 'an.' 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    hezzer78 What about Tori as a NN? 

• Options
    @vinerie I like the name Rowan, and depending on what DS's name actually is, I still think it would be okay.  Like, for example, I think something like "Tristan" and Rowan would be okay together. 
  • Options
    @vinerie ditto @ juliebird6, I like the name a lot, would your DS's name rhyme or are you thinking it's too similar? But I love the name
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I find Maximus Aurelius wrong not even just because it sounds super Latin but because it is so close to a real person I grew up hearing about all the time (my dad is a historian who loved Roman history, and Marcus Aurelius was the best). It's like naming a baby Julian Caesar or Walt Shakespeare - not a real person but so close you can't help but think of the real person. I am sure there are not THAT many history buffs out there, but for those who do know the real person I would definitely be prepared to answer whether it's a nod to that real person... and also you might want to find out more about him in case your son is compared to him throughout his life lol.

• Options
    Also, this is a bit of a FFFC (FFMC?) but I find it a bit weird when people use a name from another culture that they aren't a part of. Like Mila is becoming mainstream but is super East European to me, same with Ivan which someone mentioned above, weird to me if you aren't Eastern European. A friend of mine named her daughter Gia and to me it just seems so Italian I find it a bit weird lol.

• Options
    @vinerie
    Love Rowan! And it would depend on DS's name but as long as it isn't "Ronan" or "Roman" you're probably good! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @alinafed I disagree. Maybe it's because most people I know/my family are totally assimilated and consider ourselves 'American' before anything else, so name origin isn't super important to me. It wouldn't matter to me at all, except that DH is Israeli and wants a Hebrew connection with the name. But I don't care about my baby's name being connected to Poland/Russia/the nine million places I have ancestors from. I just want to like the name. 
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• Options
    @alinafed Ivan is typically seen as Russian, but it's also a common Scandinavian name, which is why I had mentioned it (I'm 50% Swedish/50% Norwegian, and my brothers and I all have VERY Scandinavian first and middle names). I don't disagree with you, but keep in mind that there are definitely variations of almost every name in lots of cultures. I get it with Gia tho.. That does seem super Italian.

@vinerie I like Rowan, and I don't think the repeating 'an' is an issue, but if it really rhymes (like if your DS's name ends in 'wan'), it might be a bit much. One of my best friends has twin niece/nephew named Anneke (weird spelling, but nice name) and Rowan. 
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • Options
    @alinafed Ivan is typically seen as Russian, but it's also a common Scandinavian name, which is why I had mentioned it (I'm 50% Swedish/50% Norwegian, and my brothers and I all have VERY Scandinavian first and middle names). I don't disagree with you, but keep in mind that there are definitely variations of almost every name in lots of cultures. I get it with Gia tho.. That does seem super Italian.
    Very cool to know it is also Scandinavian, totally didn't know that :D Thanks for the info, I love to learn more about name origins! And that makes a lot of sense if those are your roots! (I think I am just resentful of Mila becoming more mainstream. I wanted it 5 years ago when it was not anywhere on the top 100 lists and seemed super East European (my background), but now I feel like it has become just another normal North American name. There are so few Eastern European names that work here that I don't want to lose the few options I have!

• Options
    @alinafed I disagree. Maybe it's because most people I know/my family are totally assimilated and consider ourselves 'American' before anything else, so name origin isn't super important to me. It wouldn't matter to me at all, except that DH is Israeli and wants a Hebrew connection with the name. But I don't care about my baby's name being connected to Poland/Russia/the nine million places I have ancestors from. I just want to like the name. 

I'm not saying you HAVE to pick a name that reflects your origins though. I just personally find it weird when someone picks a name that is strongly associated with a culture that isn't theirs. Like if someone fairly assimilated named their kid José or Muhammed or Giuseppe or something. It's their choice, but it would just make me do a double take.

• Options
    @alinafed Yeah, I totally get what you mean. My name was very unique when I was young and is becoming more popular. I find it slightly annoying, but it is what it is. Also, I think a part of the reason Mila has gotten so popular is because of Mila Kunis, so that's actually a really cool thing! I love seeing actors/actresses from outside of the US make it big here!
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • Options
    I like Ginny a lot, and short for Virginia or Georgia works. I don’t think you need to be from that area to name that way, how many little girls are named Savannah now and are no where near Georgia.
    I like Rowan as well, because it isn’t often that both kids will be called their names together. At home is about it, in school they probably will be in different classrooms. 

AFM
    For a boy- Gunnar James (DH really wanted Scandinavian name and we have a very Scandinavian last name, and James is DH’s mn as well)
    For a girl- Sydney Gail (we met because of a trip to Australia, and Gail is DH’s late mother’s name- this would be her first granddaughter if it is a girl)
  • Options
    I disagree. That’s similar to the debate that kicked off over Halloween about people saying a white child shouldn’t dress as Moana because they aren’t Islander or what not. I just think it’s silly. America is such a melting pot and all of us have DNA from around the world. I just don’t think it matters. 
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @kc0711 I see Sydney as a boy name just because my dad's best friend growing up was Sydney. I like the name other than that though. Gunner is super popular here so i'm not the biggest fan.

I am leaning towards the name Lilliana Maria for a girl and Simon Felipe for a boy. My husband is colombian so we wanted a little bit of his heritage in there. 
  • Options
    I disagree. That’s similar to the debate that kicked off over Halloween about people saying a white child shouldn’t dress as Moana because they aren’t Islander or what not. I just think it’s silly. America is such a melting pot and all of us have DNA from around the world. I just don’t think it matters. 
    DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THE MOANA DEBATE. That made me so ragey lol

• Options
    @vinerie I like those names together! They're not too matchy!
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • Options
    @vinerie I think Tristan and Rowan sound great!

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @vinerie I LOVE Rowan! I honestly like for a boy or a girl. I think it is out for us because DH's cousin who, even thought they live out of state, we are really close with has a DS with an extremely similar name. I also Love Ronan.  I think Tristan and Rowan are good together! 
  • Options
    @vinerie ha! Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket today!  What are the odds?!
  • Options
    Ok so now that SO is involved in this conversation my list of girl names has changed. We don't know for sure it's a girl but that's still all we've been discussing. We've been using the swipe thing for names (which is kinda ironic cuz we met on Tinder) and our current matches are:
    Fiona
    Lina
    Callie
    Piper
    Emmy
    Isla (but SO likes Ayla spelling better, eye roll)
    Eloise 

• Options
    @calimom2524 - love Fiona, Piper and Eloise! I think those are names that DH and I matched on the swipe app too! :)  Lina, Emmy and Callie are a bit too much like a nickname for me but they're pretty

How is Isla pronounced? I see it on a lot of the BMBs Birth Announcement threads but I don't know how to pronounce it

Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @calimom2524 - love Fiona, Piper and Eloise! I think those are names that DH and I matched on the swipe app too! :)  Lina, Emmy and Callie are a bit too much like a nickname for me but they're pretty

How is Isla pronounced? I see it on a lot of the BMBs Birth Announcement threads but I don't know how to pronounce it
    I pronounce it like island only without the nd. So aisle-ah

• Options
    @calimom2524 I have always seen/heard Isla like an island, without the nd. I have also always seen/heard Ayla as A- la. Totally differently sounding. Something to check into before you get too far on that name. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    What is the swipe app to which everyone keeps referring?

• Options
    @vinerie Its Nymbler. You can both download it, and one set up a profile. Then you use it like tinder.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    @vinerie I LOVE Rowan! I honestly like for a boy or a girl. I think it is out for us because DH's cousin who, even thought they live out of state, we are really close with has a DS with an extremely similar name. I also Love Ronan.  I think Tristan and Rowan are good together! 
    I suggested Ronan to DH and he asked me if I made it up LOL
  • Options
    The one I use is called BabyName.

• Options
    Ok so now that SO is involved in this conversation my list of girl names has changed. We don't know for sure it's a girl but that's still all we've been discussing. We've been using the swipe thing for names (which is kinda ironic cuz we met on Tinder) and our current matches are:
    Fiona
    Lina
    Callie
    Piper
    Emmy
    Eloise 
    Love Fiona.  I dislike Piper the most, but that's because she's just an awful character in Orange is the New Black, which is a show I love. I don't think it's a far-reaching enough show that others would make that connection, though. 

• Options

I should add that I pronounced it "Eye-SLA" in my head and couldn't figure out your note about the spelling preference your DH has. 

• Options
    We're not having a girl but if we were, she'd be Ainsley Elizabeth
  • Options
    Fiona
    Lina
    Callie
    Piper
    Emmy
    Eloise 
    1. Definitely downloading one of those apps! I had no clue such a thing existed.

2. Eloise is always at the top of my list, but our last name begins with S which I don't think flows great. I also love Piper and Isla (but Ayla is totally pronounced differently to me), and Fiona! Good choices.
    April Siggy Challenge: April Showers
    68b4a0fa9283500827195ef5a5ccdd70

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!
    BFP 2.28.17, EDD 11.8.17 - baby girl, miscarried at 11 weeks on 4.21.17
    BFP 11.28.17, EDD 8.8.18, delivering in July - another rainbow baby boy!

• Options
    vinerie said:

I should add that I pronounced it "Eye-SLA" in my head and couldn't figure out your note about the spelling preference your DH has. 
    He believes Ayla and Isla are pronounced the same "eye-la" and I think Ayla would be pronounced "ay-la" like the end of hay without the h. That name will probably be cut from the list because we can't agree on spelling and I also don't want baby to have to deal with explaining it their whole life either. 

I did watch OITNB and to be honest I forgot her name was Piper lol