August 2018 Moms
Options

Names you actually want opinions on

Re: Names you actually want opinions on

• Options
    I'm thinking of Oliver Raymond for a boy or Emma Catherine for a girl. I've been getting a lottt of weird responses when people ask what I want to name my baby if it's a boy, but Oliver is a name my boyfriend and I have loved since we started dating. Raymond is his late father's name and Catherine is my late Granny's name (and my middle name).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @colbymac28 - I love your names! So classic!
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @colbymac28 I don't think Oliver is weird at all. I actually know two Olivers (one's a baby, one is 5 I think).  Not strange at all!
  • Options
    My Grandma's was Dorothy too so I vote yes! 
  • Options
    @derbysquirrel I think Dottie is adorable!

We are totally stuck on girl names.  DD is Scarlett.  If it is a boy it will most likely be Graham Michael.

If it is a girl we have a list and I am not super in love with any of them.... (MN will be most likely Anne)
    Blair
    Briar
    Penelope
    Ophelia 
    Vera
    Mara

I have a feeling it will be a girl simply because we cannot agree on a name.

• Options
    @colbymac28 I think Oliver is expected to be in the Top 20 names this year, it's definitely not weird.
  • Options
    @jlo629 loving the sound of "scarlett and vera" I also think vera anne goes very well together
  • Options
    @jlo629 I loooove Vera. And I love the nn Penny for Penelope. Penny Anne sounds super cute. 
    April Siggy Challenge: April Showers
    68b4a0fa9283500827195ef5a5ccdd70

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!
    BFP 2.28.17, EDD 11.8.17 - baby girl, miscarried at 11 weeks on 4.21.17
    BFP 11.28.17, EDD 8.8.18, delivering in July - another rainbow baby boy!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @jlo629 My bff named her daughter Penelope Quinn and I think the name is darling!! 
  • Options
    Okay I need opinion on this.  We're debating Charles Frederick after both of our grandfathers.  Mine was Charles and he just passed in November and we found out about baby 2 days before his funeral.  My absolute favorite person.  Would probably nickname Charlie as that's what my grandfather went by.

the problem? Well when I was 20, we got a cat that I still own and his name is Charlie.  So he's 13 and will most likely die in up to 6-7 years.  So is it weird to have a Charlie the cat and Charlie the kid? LMAO.  I obviously wasn't thinking about potential kid names when I was naming a pet.

I LOVE this name combo and that its after both grandfathers! Timeless names with a meaningful origin get a big go from me!

Re: the cat, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Or you could just rename the cat Harley or something that rhymes (can you tell I don't really care for cats?? haha)
  • Options

Eleanor
    Cora
    Evelyn
    Raelynn

Love all of those except for Raelynn. I also think Joyce sounds great with both of the E names but not as fitting for Cora.
  • Options
    @jlo629 100% for Vera! Love that name and I haven't heard it around recently. 
  • Options
    So many good names in this thread!

I think we have landed on a girl's name but are all over the place for boys. I want to preempt my list with full acknowledgment that they are all unusual names and not for everyone. But I don't want to give my poor son a name that immediately elicits a laugh and an eye roll so please don't be shy!

Bowie​
    ​Townsend​ (this is my maiden name)
    August (likely his birth month)
    Hartwell
    Wolfgang (my g,g,great grandfather's name)

Middle name would likely be Allen
  • Options
    colbymac28 I love Oliver but Raymond for the middle name doesn't flow well for me. Emma is also beautiful. Not sure if it matters to you, but I think both names a pretty popular right now
  • Options
    @wifehacks not a fan of Bowie, Townsend, or Hartwell but I LOVE August and Wolfgang is a pretty cool German name. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

• Options
    legallykate I love Sophie! A agree that its no RBG tho. Sophia, however, sounds like a totally Supreme Court Justice worthy name.
  • Options
    vinerie Rowan for a girl I love. Not feeling it as much for a boy. I have also been kind of obsessed with the name Roman, which sounds similar. (it helps that Roman Mars is such a cool guy) And I don't even know if I'd noticed if a parent's name rhymed with their kid's. Could even be cute!
  • Options
    @wifehacks Townsend is a hard no from me. The others are OK, I think August is the best (least obscure).
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    wifehacks said:
    Bowie​
    Hartwell

No to everything except August.  I could MAYBE see Wolfgang too, especially with the family connection, but it's probably going to be a pretty awful thing for your kid to deal with if you are living in the US.
  • Options
    @F47

I love Vivian and Vivi would be such a cute nickname!
    I typically love classic names but Rosalie reminds me of a grandma with a pink, lacey bathroom rug and towel set
    I love all the rest (especially Maren)! Tho Savannah is long and I can't think of a good nickname... ??

p.s. Roman is on my list of boy's names. Love that one!
  • Options
    legallykate Wolfie! So cute.
    yeah I kinda feel the same - if we're in love with a name it shouldn't matter. But hubz is super worried about our child getting picked on at school. He has come up with a bad nickname for every name I like: Slow Sloan; Lars from Mars; Oscar the Grouch... I just can't win, haha
  • Options
    wifehacks said:

I think we have landed on a girl's name but are all over the place for boys. I want to preempt my list with full acknowledgment that they are all unusual names and not for everyone. But I don't want to give my poor son a name that immediately elicits a laugh and an eye roll so please don't be shy!

Bowie​
    Hartwell

Bowie is pretty awesome. I mean.. Bowie! 

If this was a boy I was planning to push for August, love auggie!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    wifehacks said:
    legallykate Wolfie! So cute.
    yeah I kinda feel the same - if we're in love with a name it shouldn't matter. But hubz is super worried about our child getting picked on at school. He has come up with a bad nickname for every name I like: Slow Sloan; Lars from Mars; Oscar the Grouch... I just can't win, haha
    I mean honestly some elementary school aged kids are just kind of jerks and will pick on other kids regardless of name or will find something name related, like my maiden name had "far" in it and that got changed to "fart" - soooo clever (eyeroll). 
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• Options
    Do you think August with a birth month of August is too much or will get eye rolls? 
    TTC since Jan2011
    BFP#1 11-23-2011 EDD 08-01-12 -- early miscarriage 11-27-2011 @ 4W4D
    DX hashimoto's hypothyroidism Jan2012
    BFP#2 5-14-2012 EDD 01-21-13 -- early miscarriage 05-17-2012 @ 4W3D
    BFP#3 7-15-2012 EDD 03-29-13
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Do you think August with a birth month of August is too much or will get eye rolls? 
    Personally I don't think so but I also have a Leo who is a Leo so I'm probably not the best person to chime in.

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

• Options
    @wifehacks Love August! It's on our short list too. Not sure about the rest. Wolfgang could work if it fit the kid, I think... if that makes sense. 
  • Options
    @wifehacks I think Bowie would be such an awesome middle name! I say middle name because if your LO grows up wanting an interesting, unusual name then it's right there. You could always choose something more mainstream for a first name and pick something really badass for a middle name and don't have the eye rolls or snickers but can still use the name in the future if he ends up digging it. Just an idea :)
    Image result for april showers meme

Hello from Detroit!

• Options
    I would ONLY name a kid August if he were born in August, lol. I would find it weird if he were born in May. I kind of want to use Augustus as a middle name, but I need a back up in case the kid comes early. If they're born in July I wont use it (and don't like Julius with the first name)
    Me:32
    DH:45
    DSD: 20
    DSS: 18
    Team green baby due: Aug 6th, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @wifehacks how do you feel about Bowen NN Bowie?
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I love Townsend—especially because it’s your maiden name! I love names that aren’t common and/or have meaning. 
  • Options
    69mil said:
    @jlo629 My bff named her daughter Penelope Quinn and I think the name is darling!! 

Where does your bff live? My friend also named her daughter this ....

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    wifehacks said:

Bowie​
    Hartwell

The only one I wouldn’t eye roll as a FN would be August. The others all work better as MN IMO. But again, it’s your call. Would there be any way to use Allen as a first name and the others as middle names? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    F47F47 member
    edited February 2018
    @wifehacks Townsend is pretty awkward as a first name. I don’t know that it’s grounds for being picked on, it just doesn’t sound like a first name. Bowie followed by Townsend made me assume it was an homage to Pete Townshend. But, I love classic rock. 

Anyway, August (nn Auggie) is great. And, if you’re considering Roman, it definitely gets my pick. I’m biased since I have a Roman, but we get endlessly good feedback on his name. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Oooh Fallon, I like it! And they say 2018 is bringing last names as first names.
  • Options
    Oooh Fallon, I like it! And they say 2018 is bringing last names as first names.
    Eurgh I hope not! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ecwk Michigan
  • Options
    @wifehacks those are all a hard no except August, which for me personally would be a hard no but it’s the only one on your list that wouldn’t elicit a laugh and eyeroll from me. Wolfgang just makes me think of Mozart and the rest wouldn’t be awful as middle names. 

@jlo629 I like Penelope Anne from your list but not a fan of the first name ending in the same/similar vowel sound as the beginning of the middle name. For example, Vera Anne is pretty but it’s a little awkward to say aloud with the double vowel and necessary glottal stop. 
  • Options

I'm currently thinking Adelia Eva (but the e sounds are like an eh not an EE.... so think Adele with -ia at the end, and Eva is Ehva). I think since we live in a super bilingual English-French city, people will get that Adelia is pronounced the French way (i.e. not like it rhymes with Amelia), and even if they pronounce it wrong I don't mind that pronounciation of it either. Eva being pronounced Ee-va by all non-East Europeans is why I will only use it as a middle name even though I love it, because I don't want her correcting the pronounciation all the time. I also have an Adam so I don't want an Adam and Eve haha.