August 2018 Moms

Names you actually want opinions on

Re: Names you actually want opinions on

• Rainy day - beyond being ‘not a name’ and globally sooooo nms... its a kind of sad and depressing name. I don’t think I’d want to saddle a child with that emotion, kinda. 

I adore tilly as a nn for matilda. Love Ramona bc Ramona Quincy age 8. 

Rosalie is a yuck for me, too frilly or something? It’s my coworkers granddaughters name and I hear it often - mehhh. Violet I love!!!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• @juliebird6 I like the name fine, but it’s a ltitle too matchy with Hazel.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I'm not opposed to the male names for girls.  Actually, all the girls in DS's class at school can be also considered "boy" names.  He's got an Alex, a Ryann, Emerson and a Merin.
  • I have the same middle name as my mom and two of her sisters. But it's Lee, which is pretty common and not that unique. I feel like Ashlyn is a fairly unique name on its own so having two daughters with the same unique middle name might be too much. Plus, I personally don't love the rhyming of Evan Ashlyn.
  • Okay I need opinion on this.  We're debating Charles Frederick after both of our grandfathers.  Mine was Charles and he just passed in November and we found out about baby 2 days before his funeral.  My absolute favorite person.  Would probably nickname Charlie as that's what my grandfather went by.

the problem? Well when I was 20, we got a cat that I still own and his name is Charlie.  So he's 13 and will most likely die in up to 6-7 years.  So is it weird to have a Charlie the cat and Charlie the kid? LMAO.  I obviously wasn't thinking about potential kid names when I was naming a pet.
    I had a Charlie the cat too! He just passed away last year, he was only 12  :( 
    I don't think having a cat and a kid with the same name is too weird, it's not like a ton of people in the world know your cat's name anyways haha. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @pghctwife +1 for hating BNOG. Many of them don't make sense and just piss me the hell off because, like you said, it's hard enough naming a boy. 
  • @lalala2004 I don't know...we have a Lesly male at work.  I have an uncle Kelly, my other grandfather's middle name was Clare.  I agree it's not as common as boy on girl name though.
  • @calimom2524 I'm so sorry! Yeah, I suppose really the only one finding it super weird is DS.  DH finds it a tad off putting but I am trying to explain to him that the cat is shorter term at this point LOL  I don't want to pass on a family name because of a pet.  Plus, we can't really agree on any other names.  It's much harder this time around. I've realized I don't like a lot of boy names haha
  • pghctwife said:
    Hate hate hate boy names on girls. Boy names are hard enough and once it becomes a girl name it’s no longer boy. Dh is a Ryan and haaaates that ppl are using it for girls now. My youngest is Rory, which is a very male name - a girl named Aurora nn Rory? Sure. Just not a given name please! Plus god forbid your masculine named gitl
    is boyish looking or not popular pretty etc... seems like it could add to that struggle. 

/end rant

Not fan of repeating the middle. Give number two her own special middle. Something from dads side, a shared initial, etc. 
    See and to me, the only time I've heard the name Rory is on Gilmore Girls so I only see it as a girl name. I totally agree, once a boy name is used as a girl name it definitely becomes girly. 

• Names I want opinions on:

Evelyn Mae (though I think this one may be out)

Mila Sofia (shout out to my East European heritage, however I am not sure if people will realize as it's becoming a more mainstream name now. Also these were the two names we picked for DS1 and 2 had they been girls so I kind of like that little hidden meaning).

Adelia ___ (not sure middle name with this one yet). Bear in mind DS1 and DS2 are Adam and Adrian so it would likely be too many "Ad" names... but then again we already have 2, what's one more lol.

• @pghctwife I love the rain. Favorite weather of all time. Taking a walk/run to the nearest park and play on the equipment, or go saddle my horse(when I have one again) and ride through it all. Might be the reason its stuck around for 10+ years in my mind. I'm still not likely to convince H to allow it, so I'll stick with Fallon and Gwendolyn. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• @juliebird6 love them both, I love old fashioned names though. Yes to Mabel Jean

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @alinafed I like both Evelyn Mae and Mila Sofia, but actually, Adelia ___ is my favorite! I like how it goes with your boys' names!
  • @alinafed - love Evelyn Mae, Mila Sofia is pretty but I couldn't do the rhyming. If it doesn't bother you though I say go for it! And the A names don't bother me at all, a girlfriend of mine has 4 girls and all start with P
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • aj1327aj1327 member
    edited February 2018
    I never used to mind when girls had boy names until I was trying to name my son. A friend of a friend’s sister named her daughter Colin recently and I totally eyerolled it. That’s DS’s name. 

I was kind of on board with Rainy Day until someone brought up the emotion behind it. But I’m weird about meanings. DH likes the name Mallory for a girl, but I couldn’t never used it because of Mal meaning bad. I think the name has a bad meaning. 

I love the name Hazel! Mabel is Not my style as much and the rhyming would be too much for me, but I think if you like it, both are nice names. 

So so I know it might not be everyone’s style, but does Blake sound too trendy? Or something? I really love it, but have doubts about it still. 

Other options are: Spencer, Trevor, Tyler and Reece now. Middle name is Thomas or Keith. 

ETA: I was too lazy to tag everyone, sorry! But I’m about to go ask DH about Rory! I love that name! 
  • @pghctwife +1 for hating BNOG. Many of them don't make sense and just piss me the hell off because, like you said, it's hard enough naming a boy. 
    pghctwife said:
    Hate hate hate boy names on girls. Boy names are hard enough and once it becomes a girl name it’s no longer boy. Dh is a Ryan and haaaates that ppl are using it for girls now. My youngest is Rory, which is a very male name - a girl named Aurora nn Rory? Sure. Just not a given name please! Plus god forbid your masculine named gitl
    is boyish looking or not popular pretty etc... seems like it could add to that struggle. 

/end rant

Not fan of repeating the middle. Give number two her own special middle. Something from dads side, a shared initial, etc. 
    See and to me, the only time I've heard the name Rory is on Gilmore Girls so I only see it as a girl name. I totally agree, once a boy name is used as a girl name it definitely becomes girly. 
    On gg it’s a nickname - her given name is Lorelei after her mother :) it’s an Irish name and considered very masculine - not as common here. 

I was able to convinve dh because it’s a rare boy name that’s sometimes used for girls that never gained traction - it’s a vastly more popular boy name in the us than girl.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• @amac12999 I don't mind Blake for a boy.  I don't like it for a girl.  I like your other names too - least favorite is Tyler.
  • pghctwife said:

/end rant

Her name was also Lorelei, so that was a nickname.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Love Mabel and hazel but not as a sibset...

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• @alinafed personally I would Mila or Evelyn. DH has an uncle who named all 5 of his kids J names and i personally think it's weird. 

We're debating about Gwenevere but I'm wondering if the name has to much baggage from the Arthur story... Like will our daughter hate that she's named after someone who cheated on their husband with their best friend or am I worrying to much?

Our other girl names are Quinn and Cassidy. 

Boy names are Quinton and Isaac. 
  • I agree about Mabel and Hazel as a sibset, I like them separately but not crazy about how they sound together, too rhyme-y.

• @laufisch - historical names are awesome! I think you're worrying too much, chances are the topic will come up in 5th grade lit and then kids move on
    I love all your names!
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @calimom2524 I like all those names. At first I wasn't keen on Raelynn than I said it aloud and it's quite cute. They all sound good with your boys names. I like thinking of nicknames, so you have Ellie, Rae, and Evie or Eve.. Can't think of one for Cora...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @missybutler94 I like Evan Joan... I don't think its crazy weird to share same middle name, but I know if it were me (as the second sibling) I'd want my own middle name, I wouldn't want to share it with my mom and sis. But that's just me pretending I'm a newborn child in your family. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @laufisch I love it. H has the same worry, so we went with Gwendolyn in the top 2-3 instead.  I haven't had a Gwenevere in class, so I haven't been able to ask that question myself. I wouldn't personally think of it, but I'm also not a huge round table nerd. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• For a girl:
    Matilda
    Anne
    Ramona

For a boy:
    Spencer
    Emmett
    Simon

No middle names for any of them yet
    Matilda was our top name for a potential girl, so I love that one. I like Ann (vs. Anne). No reason why, I just do. Ramona is cool, but it does make me think of the Ramona books from my tween years...

I like Spencer, Emmett and Simon all equally! 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• @ecwk A friend named his DD Gertrude, and while it's not my style at all she goes by Gertie and is the cutest thing ever. But she's also the only Gertrude I know under 80.

• @princesslockness when I hear the name Rainy I think of the Friends episode where Ross and Rachel are tying to think of names and Rachel suggests Rain. Ross says "Rain? Rain. Hi, my name is Rain. I have my own kiln and my dress is made out of wheat." 

I don't mean that in a snarky way at all, I'm just a huge Friends fan so that's the first thing that comes to mind. It's a hard pass for me.

Ok so I feel the snark coming on for one of my girl names:

Eleanor
    Cora
    Evelyn
    Raelynn

Middle name for a girl will be Joyce after my maternal grandmother. I have a Leo and and Ethan so I'm looking for something that fits when saying all 3 names. 
    I like Cora A LOT! Don't care for Raelynn. Evelyn and Eleanor seem a bit trendy in the context of 'vintage' names. But those types of names are popular for a reason!

• Oh I know Rory was a nn for Lorelai I'm just saying that's what I associate the name with, it was more of an agreement that once a masculine name has been used for a girl it's then deemed girly to me. However, I think Rory for a boy is super cute and I honestly didn't know it was a boy name originally. 

• @mrsbubbles-2 I LOVE the name Ramona! That is so so cute.

@calimom2524 Cora is my favorite out of all those names! I rarely hear it and I think it is so cute.

we have a DD named Blake, and her middle name is Ashlyn (also my middle name)
    we are expecting another girl and have her first name chosen, Evan, but my question is should we give her the middle name Ashlyn? Or is two girls and I with the same middle name just too much? I want her to have a feminine middle name and I just can't think of anything with meaning.

I also liked Evan Joan, Joan is my husbands grandmothers name. But my whole family is steering us toward using the name Ashlyn for her middle name again. Would you think its weird to share a middle name with your mom and sibling?
    Both of my sisters have two boys each and each set of boys has the same middle name. I actually like it as it seems like this shared connection they have. 

• @amac12999 Reece! I love that for a boy. I haven't really heard that name and it's quite nice for a boy. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • amac12999 said:

Other options are: Spencer, Trevor, Tyler and Reece now. Middle name is Thomas or Keith. 

ETA: I was too lazy to tag everyone, sorry! But I’m about to go ask DH about Rory! I love that name! 
    Would you ever consider spelling it Rhys? Maybe it's just because I am Canadian and we have more ties to the British, but I have known a couple of people named Rhys and I don't think they had a ton of problems with it... then again maybe in the States people wouldn't know, I'm not sure.

• alinafed said:
    amac12999 said:

Would you ever consider spelling it Rhys? Maybe it's just because I am Canadian and we have more ties to the British, but I have known a couple of people named Rhys and I don't think they had a ton of problems with it... then again maybe in the States people wouldn't know, I'm not sure.
    I agree with this. My best friend's DD is Reese and of course there's Reese Witherspoon so I associate Reece as a female spelling as well. Plus I think Rhys is an adorable spelling! 

• aj1327aj1327 member
    edited February 2018
    alinafed said:
    amac12999 said:

I agree with this. My best friend's DD is Reese and of course there's Reese Witherspoon so I associate Reece as a female spelling as well. Plus I think Rhys is an adorable spelling! 
    I would! Not sure about DH though....

We would spell it with a “c” which is considered a masculine spelling of the name but I have seen it Rhys and like that too! 

Also, @calimom2524 I liked all your name choices, including Raelynn and love Rae as a nickname! 
  • @mrsbubbles-2 I had forgotten that Friends reference! Rainy Day reminds me of Nathan Fillion's weather man character Rainer Shine. I just think she would constantly get asked "is that your given name?" And the only IRL Rain I have ever met was definitely a major hippie.

I love Evelyn and Mila and Gwendolyn and I don't have an issue with boys names as girls names, although I seemingly hate all the ones DH likes. Mila was actually our frontrunner last time we discussed before we "tabled" names until tomorrow's reveal, so we will see if DH still likes it when he finds out we are having a girl. Evelyn would be my fave if it wasn't DH's paternal grandmother's name which would irritate his mom (eyeroll).
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+