October 2018 Moms

Introductions

Re: Introductions

• Hello everyone! My name is Kala. I'm from Richardson, TX. This is our first and we're so excited! I'm at 16 weeks andI'm due October 6. 
  • Loading the player...
  • San Diego here! Not many California ladies on here as far as I can tell. Welcome to the bump and congrats!
  • tlmilltlmill member
    edited April 2018

Hey y’all! Getting into this BMB a little late in the game. I live in North TX, been married for 5 years, due with huuuuge surprise baby #3 on October 11th. My A/S is next week but I work for an imaging facility and our u/s tech went ahead and scanned me today, and we found out we’re having baby boy #2. I have a 4 year old DD born March 2014 and 2 year old DS born October 2015. I’m still super active with my M14 mamas, and they’re basically my lifeline. Excited to get to know everyone here! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi @tlmill! Glad to see you (I used to be jenstwins). 
  • Hey @jennybean80! I recognize the twins ❤️ Good to see you!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hello. I had some difficulty posting before because I can't work my phone. I am expecting my first baby between 10/28-10/31, they can't quite pin down my due date yet. TTC was very difficult for us, we went through 14 months of fertility treatments, diagnostic procedures, and I lost 2 pregnancies early on. We finally conceived after a second embryo transfer. Blessedly, this has been a very easy pregnancy (besides me worrying throughout the 1st trimester) and we just had an ultrasound and baby is doing great! Me and DH live in LA, CA and we both work in the mental health field. We primarily love working on our house and are currently nesting to prepare for our little Halloween baby!
  • @MissBridg welcome! Fellow celiac over here  :)
  • MissBridgMissBridg member
    edited April 2018
    @MissBridg welcome! Fellow celiac over here  :)

I was DX in Sept of 2016.  So it's not new but it's new for pregnancy (DD was 15m when I was DX).  How long have you had it?  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited April 2018
    @MissBridg since I was in high school, sometime around 2005 ish?? At least that's when we did the biopsy. I've had symptoms my whole life (bloated and tender stomach), but it really kicked in during early high school.

Eta: it runs in my family, so my mom pushed my doctor to test me sometime after my aunt was diagnosed.
  • @MissBridg since I was in high school, sometime around 2005 ish?? At least that's when we did the biopsy. I've had symptoms my whole life (bloated and tender stomach), but it really kicked in during early high school.

Eta: it runs in my family, so my mom pushed my doctor to test me sometime after my aunt was diagnosed.
    Wow!  I know so many people who were sick for so long.  In hindsight I am really lucky how t happened to me- out of no where i was so sick i was  basically incapacitated.  For a month no doctor could figure out why everything went right through me or came back up...so they admitted me and did an exploratory scope.  The pathologist described by small bowel as "destroyed."  So I was incredibly sick, but for such a brief time.  And once I went gf I was back to normal....  It was a really tough transition to make at 32 though....to relearn how to eat... but I've got that down now.  :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @straycat203 and @jweber4747 HI! Yay for Southern California moms! 
  • @MissBridg @jemmerjams Glad to see some other GF'ers in the group!  I was diagnosed in 2010 when I was 22. I'm a FTM and just curious if either of you have had your children tested after they started eating solids? I struggled with symptoms my entire life, I don't want the bean suffering too.
  • MissBridgMissBridg member
    edited May 2018
    babyptobe said:
    @MissBridg @jemmerjams Glad to see some other GF'ers in the group!  I was diagnosed in 2010 when I was 22. I'm a FTM and just curious if either of you have had your children tested after they started eating solids? I struggled with symptoms my entire life, I don't want the bean suffering too.
    I had my son tested at 3.  Their ped told me they don't typically test kids until school age unless they show symptoms.  My son is chronically constipated so we tested but he was negative.  My daughter never showed any GI issues so she hasn't been tested.  We will test them both at start of school and every 5 years unless symptoms emerge.  

Remember that although their chance of having it is increased by you having it, it's still a small percentage...and you remember how you felt- you know better what to look for as far as testing and answers if your kiddo starts to feel sick.  Try not to dwell on the possibility...it's super low.  :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @babyptobe FTM too, but my personal preference is going to be to have my child on a strict gluten free diet until they are old enough to be tested. Then, if it comes back negative, they will still eat GF at home but I won't stress about too much when I'm not around. Many of my family members have tested negative for celiac, but still have poor reactions to gluten, so sorry, kid, you're gonna be gluten free.
  • @babyptobe FTM too, but my personal preference is going to be to have my child on a strict gluten free diet until they are old enough to be tested. Then, if it comes back negative, they will still eat GF at home but I won't stress about too much when I'm not around. Many of my family members have tested negative for celiac, but still have poor reactions to gluten, so sorry, kid, you're gonna be gluten free.
    Food for thought- you cannot test positive for celiac when you are on a gf diet. Some things  require a medical diagnosis for example in order to get: procedures covered, school lunches provided, etc. 

while all the meals i cook are gf, my kids are not on a strict gf diet. They have crackers, Mac and cheese, typical gluten-y foods. The periodic testing (with or without symptoms) is useless without gluten in their system. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MissBridg yep, I should have mentioned this, but yes I do plan to introduce gluten if we decide to test. :) That would be a huge waste of money haha. If I see a horrible life threatening reaction (doubt that will happen, since I don't have one) I'd obviously stop and just assume gluten intolerance. But I would like to be able to get the test to know how strict I have to be. One of the daycares I'm looking at requires a drs note to have my child be gluten free, but it won't be hard to accommodate. 

Curious, do you know if they do endoscopies on kids? Or is it just the blood test? I'd obviously prefer the accuracy of endoscopy but that seems like a big surgery for a child.
  • @MissBridg yep, I should have mentioned this, but yes I do plan to introduce gluten if we decide to test. :) That would be a huge waste of money haha. If I see a horrible life threatening reaction (doubt that will happen, since I don't have one) I'd obviously stop and just assume gluten intolerance. But I would like to be able to get the test to know how strict I have to be. One of the daycares I'm looking at requires a drs note to have my child be gluten free, but it won't be hard to accommodate. 

Curious, do you know if they do endoscopies on kids? Or is it just the blood test? I'd obviously prefer the accuracy of endoscopy but that seems like a big surgery for a child.
    As far as I know my insurance required the blood test and scope to confirm the diagnosis.  Whether that is true for all providers, for all ages, for all areas?  I don't know.  We started with the blood test and it was neg so never went further.  My kids def eat enough that it would show positive if he had it.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Late to the party! I'm due Oct. 12th with my second son. First was born Jan 2016 and is now a huge ball of happy toddler fun. I struggle with nausea and am currently working on using unisom and b6 to keep things down :smile: I'm from Michigan and still live here in the Detroit area with my husband. Excited to be on this journey with everyone!
  • @teeniegreenie welcome! We're due date twins and live near each other! I'm "downriver".
  • @teeniegreenie welcome! We're due date twins and live near each other! I'm "downriver".
    Oh fun! Hello there fellow Michigander!
  • @teeniegreenie Congrats and Welcome! Happy to have another Michigan mama...there are a few of us here in October!
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • @teeniegreenie Congrats and Welcome! Happy to have another Michigan mama...there are a few of us here in October!
    Bonus: I'm a Spartan too! Go Green!
  • @teeniegreenie So many Michigan moms on this board, I love it!
  • serena_serena_ member
    mamat2be said:
    @serena_ Looks like we’re on the same schedule!
    My name is Michelle and I’m a FTM from Austin, TX, about to be 33 in just a few days. We are 15 weeks today and our due date is October 30! My husband and I have been married just over a year now. It took us 8-9 months to conceive and we got the best anniversary gift we could have asked for with our little bun in the oven! My husband is a graphic designer and I’m an occupational therapist. We have 2 rescue doggies, a German Shepherd mix and a pit mix, who are going to make the best big sisters! It still seems surreal this is actually happening, but we could not be more excited!
    Just now seeing this, but yay I’m hoping for the 31st:) 
     congratulations!!
  • Oh I suppose I should give my name stats lol

Kim - age 33 (34 in August)
    DH Mark - age 34

we also have a furbaby George, he’s a mountain dog mix...9.5yo

• Welcome, @bntfroggie. I'm glad you are feeling comfortable enough now to join us!