May 2017 Moms

Randoms and Questions 3.27 - 3.31

Re: Randoms and Questions 3.27 - 3.31

• Ah yes the cramping after birth. I heard it gets worse with each delivery. I wonder if that's true?
  • Loading the player...
  • lrwardrop said:
    Ah yes the cramping after birth. I heard it gets worse with each delivery. I wonder if that's true?
    DD2 was definitely more painful than DD1. Especially when breastfeeding I noticed more pain, it's like your body kicks into gear quicker and faster. So I am not at all looking forward to the pain with the third baby! I am planning to stay on schedule with my Motrin!  
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • I don't remember having to push the placenta out or anything either. It must have come out easily enough after DD? DH did said it was "gnarly" as kipperro would call it. I never saw it though.

• FTM here, @hp_momma I was recently told that breastfeeding causes your uterus to contract down to its normal size which is somewhat like cramps. The female body is truly amazing! My mom says her cramping wasn't as bad with me as her previous two.

23 y/o;
    First time mommy <3 [05/06/17]

90% of the way there :D

Pregnancy Ticker

• CarmCeG said:
    FTM here, @hp_momma I was recently told that breastfeeding causes your uterus to contract down to its normal size which is somewhat like cramps. The female body is truly amazing! My mom says her cramping wasn't as bad with me as her previous two.
    Yes, that's the cramping I'm referring to. Second time around the breastfeeding usually kicks in faster so the cramping comes on faster and more intense. Your nurses will also come in and massage your uterus to get back to its normal size. And I wouldn't say it's "somwhat like cramps", it feels identical to labor cramps/menstrual cramps. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • I'm a page and a half behind, but I've got figure this out...

Breast tenderness. OMG, what can I do?! I've never had this before, even with PMS. It's primarily my right one and it's horrendous. Started yesterday evening and has been aching ever since. It just...aches and is so so sensitive. Don't look at it, don't touch it, don't even think about it. Is there anything to ease this? Is this my life now?
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I'm trying not to think about the whole pooping thing. Both H and I know it's a very real possibility, but we're going to pretend like it didn't happen if it does.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • In our birth class with DS1, the instructor noted that the baby's head squishes everything out of you like a tube of toothpaste.  Not the best image, but it makes sense.  I'm pretty sure I pooped with both kids and I really didn't care in the moment.  I definitely remember the nurse being pretty quick to clean things up with DS2 as it happened and it was definitely no big deal.

The cramping was definitely worse with #2 but I also stopped bleeding within a week or two and my uterus was back to normal size in no time.  Mother Nature is amazing.
    Feb 2012:  DS1 born 40w2d, 7 lb 11 oz, 20"
    May 2014:  DS2 born 40w3d, 10 lb, 23"

Due May 2017 with DD1!
  • @hp_momma as a FTM and being who I am, I get all giddy when I learn something and hear you guys confirm it. Since being pregnant I've really enjoyed learning all the great things our bodies do to create life.

I'm not ready to feel contractions or cramps once I start getting a period again :(

23 y/o;
    First time mommy <3 [05/06/17]

90% of the way there :D

Pregnancy Ticker

• Re: pain meds: after my birthing class this weekend i decided i'm okay with IV narcotics but i want to avoid an epidural, main reason being i want to try the fun birthing props like the fitball and the Jacuzzi and such :D which i won't be able to do with an epidural. 
  • You all better not be screwing with me about breastfeeding the second time around coming in faster. It took 72 hours for my milk to come in last time, if it takes that long again I am going the formula route, it was exhausting.

I don't remember much about the belly smooshing after delivery. Either it wasn't that unpleasant or maybe they didn't do it that much? C-section perk? My mind has done a really good job erasing a lot of that experience.

May '17 labor memes
  • Oh the uterus "massage" made me yell! That was the first and only time I yelled/made a peep with my first. With my second, breastfeeding made me cramp so painfully that I was in tears. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @WombThereItIs
    Re: STM BFing 
    I've been exclusively pumping since hour zero with my babies so ive had an interesting perspective on the whole milk volume increase phenomenon. Obviously everyone is different but I had a faster increase this time than last AND I had a c-section at 32 weeks which put my boobs at a distinct disadvantage. I posted my pumping volume nerdery a while back but everything really started to click at 48 hours (with DD it was day 4 before things turned around - granted, I was not EPing). What the latest research shows is that nursing or hand expression (not pumping but it can't hurt) in the first hour really does make a substantial difference in terms of getting supply off to the best start. There's a neo in CA (Jane Morton) who doesn't even stress about catching that first expression of colostrum (that is, if the baby and mom are separated and baby isn't taking it directly from the breast) - she has moms just get the colostrum
    out so that the body gets the message to make more. 

Re: the fundal "massage" post-birth - I don't remember them AT ALL from my vaginal birth with DD but goodness gracious they were not fun after my c-section. Hopefully that's not the norm. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• @WombThereItIs Breastfeeding was definitely faster the second time around for me, hopefully it is for you too! 
    And the uterine massage with DD1 was hardly anything to remember, but man DD2s was painful! With DD1 I hardly took any Motrin, but with DD2 I was keeping up with it like clockwork! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • @WombThereItIs youve got to be kidding.... The "massage" post csection was excruciating. I labored all the way and pushed for hours before having a csection and the most painful part of the entire experience was that awful massage. I cried each time and my husband couldnt even watch bc the nurse was like elbow deep in my stomach after id just been sliced open. I am dreading that. Maybe i had a mean nurse.
  • @Jkp7749 I also pushed a ton and had a cesarean. So weird I'm not remembering this! Maybe because I hemhorraged a little? No clue. 

Now I am usually a very staunch defender of medical professionals but I did have some of the worst nurses I have ever met when in the mother/baby unit so there is a chance they just didn't do it or didn't do it properly? 

May '17 labor memes
  • Add my to the crazy painful post csection massage list, I am definitely not looking forward to that this time.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Random: oh my gosh! This little guy is straight up poking out the right side of me! Not sure if it is his butt or his back or what, but dang no wonder I've been having issues on that side, even if it was in the back! 

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • @Kipperoo Agreed that the STM BF stories are giving me hope too! And you wrote out my exact experience from last time and I wish I would have known just how common it was.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • I didn't get a belly massage pp.... birthing in a different hospital this time maybe I'll be subjected to one
  • Yes @Kipperoo! Agree 100% I left the hospital thinking we were pros at breastfeeding. I mean one of the nurses even referred to my nipples as "super nipples". I was devastated when we got to the Peds appt and DD was losing weight and my "super nipples" were chapped and bleeding. So glad to hear that might not be the case this time, but having experienced it once I hope I'm better prepared for the possibility. 
  • I am praying that my milk is fatty enough this time to not have to add a calorie increaser and avoid having to EP like I did last time.  

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @0408Bear happy birthday to your ds! I just posted my DDs first bday outfit for sale  :'(

• I'm equally excited and terrified for BF-ing. I can be so sensitive and I'm just afraid it's going to be excruciating.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Blegh breastfeeding. I am 100% dreading doing that again more than labor. Figuring it all out is hard and uncomfortable and you have a small creature screaming at you while you are hormonal and a mess. Those first two weeks....whew! 
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • Anyone been checked yet by their OB? I think she just did it today because of the swab so she was already down there. I've never had an OB tell me that I'm at a fingertip but still closed and would be easily induced. That was new. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • MoshiMoshi7MoshiMoshi7 member
    edited March 2017
    I'm with you @MrsFreeman2010. I've been dreading breastfeeding again since I first got my BFP. Though the STM saying that it happens faster are definitely giving me a little more hope!

And wow, thanks for all the fantastic memory flashbacks of labor and birth. I think I'd blocked out all the puking and pooping and painful as hell "massage", but it all just came screaming back.  :D