October 2016 Moms

Weekly Randoms 9/19

Re: Weekly Randoms 9/19

• Good for you @books&icecream! 
  • @annabenanna I just took the stool softners after baby was out. Here they won't discharge you until you've pooped once. 
    In regards to nursing tanks or shirts I love my thyme maternity ones. I am in Canada though so I am not sure if they're outside here or not. I've also gotten one from target and liked it, but found the target ones fit small. 
    My hospital discharged me before I pooped and I really wish they hadn't.  I was so freaked out about ripping my stitches that I couldn't go for four days and  by then I was so uncomfortable that I almost cried.  It was fine after that, but that was a lot of unnecessary anxiety.
    I'm taking all this advice to heart ladies!  I am totes taking the stool softener.  
  • Loading the player...
  • @annabenanna In addition to the fantastic advice you've already received, here are a few things I've found helpful:
    I get the lansinoh disposable nursing pads; I am a lighter leaker and am all for anything that minimizes my laundry.  :)  Might be something to try if you have Target credit.

I love the Bravado Body Silk nursing bras, and have been wearing mine for the past two months or so, since I've grown out of my normal bras.  They're crazy comfortable, and have removable pads.  I also like them because you don't get a uniboob look, which I've found happens with Bravado's bras made for Target.  They're pricy, but with DD2 I wore them for at least 12 months (pregnancy and post-partum) and they were well worth it.

Lanolin for sore nipples is also great; I got a small three-pack so I can have a tube stashed in my room, in the diaper bag, and with baby.

Don't forget milk storage bags if you plan to pump.

Also, stock up on snacks you can eat with one hand (bonus points if they require no prep), stuff to do that only requires one hand (magazines, etc), and a great water bottle.  Staying hydrated is super important, especially in the first two weeks after birth.  

• @FemShep, this is great advice!  I will have to check out Bravado Body Silk once my milk supply regulates.  I was on the fence about the Lanolin thinking I could just use coconut oil---but now that you're talking about the convenience of three little tubes (on Amazon right?  because I have them on my wishlist, lol)--I may just go ahead and do that!

Got the milk storage bags (purchased a Kiinde set) and got the disposable nursing pads too!

I LOVE water bottles (DH thinks I'm crazy because I get excited buying them).  I should reward myself with a special one handed post partum one.  Now I just need to figure out snacks!
  • Good for you@books&icecream! 

I ordered my breastpump yesterday through my insurance and it came today. I can't believe it was that fast! Now I just have to figure out how to use the damn thing. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• I got my letter from HR today stating my return date. I have to go back 12/12. Which means I have to work 9 days before we are out on winter break. Looking at the bright side- it'll be a practice run before I have to be back everyday until June. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MRSCORKER said:
    Good for you@books&icecream! 

I ordered my breastpump yesterday through my insurance and it came today. I can't believe it was that fast! Now I just have to figure out how to use the damn thing. 
    LOL same! I got the Medela pump free thru insurance and I opened it and got overwhelmed and haven't touched it since.  :p
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married 11-11-11
    TTC only since Dec 2015. I had some weight to get off. Been working hard in the gym for over a year.
    BFP 02-15-16 with our first
    IT'S A BOY!!! 

• LOL I really hope I have your ambition @AllyTheKid
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married 11-11-11
    TTC only since Dec 2015. I had some weight to get off. Been working hard in the gym for over a year.
    BFP 02-15-16 with our first
    IT'S A BOY!!! 

• I get sad when I think about pumps because I really wanted the Medela pump, and we are getting the Ameda Pump through our insurance (they don't do Medela). Waaaaah.
  • I get sad when I think about pumps because I really wanted the Medela pump, and we are getting the Ameda Pump through our insurance (they don't do Medela). Waaaaah.
    I've heard both are really good! 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• In other news- I touched up my hair color today, did my finger and toenails, shaved, and am feeling Fresh to Death!
    You are ready mama!!!
  • @annabenanna I had an Ameda with DD last time and didn't have any issues with it. It actually still works. If my new Medela wasn't covered by insurance I'd probably still use that one.

Today at my appointment I tried to get my doc to write me a note to get out of work early (I'd like to be out in the first week of Oct and use all 12 of those FMLA weeks I'm allowed) and all she said was "We'll check next week". Boo hiss!! I don't wanna work until my due date, and I only have a desk job. Wahwah, poor me...
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • @annabenanna Yep! Baby can come now ;)
  • Thanks @Kaytee1087 on the feedback!  Also, what is your boss going to check?  Can she force you to stay and work considering you have a doctor's note?
  • MRSCORKER said:
    Good for you@books&icecream! 

LOL same! I got the Medela pump free thru insurance and I opened it and got overwhelmed and haven't touched it since.  :p
    Lucky! My stupid insurance won't even touch a pump for us, but we're ordering the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Starter Set off of Amazon tonight, I'm looking forward to tinkering with it once it comes in! I am WAY too excited about this pump haha I always found pumping fun, don't ask me why, there is just something fascinating and entertaining about filling up bottles and storage bags with your own milk (to me anyway). The more I could pump, the giddier it made me. I am a full grown woman-child...
    @AllyTheKid - are you sure your insurance won't cover a breast pump?  Under the ACA they're mandated by law by cover it:  https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/breast-feeding-benefits/

@annabenanna  - I'm in the same boat as you in that I wanted the Medela pump but my insurance would only cover the Ameda.  I'm hoping it will work out since I plan to be pumping quite a bit at work but other than stare at it and get totally confused I haven't done much with it yet.  The reviews it had were okay if not quite as good as the Medela's, so fingers crossed it works for me.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DH and I:  Early/mid 30s
    Married 7/15
    TTC #1 as of 8/15
    BFP 11/21/15 -- MC confirmed 12/1/15
    BFP #2 2/18/16
  • Thanks @Kaytee1087 on the feedback!  Also, what is your boss going to check?  Can she force you to stay and work considering you have a doctor's note?
    Sorry I wasn't clear, it's my doc who won't write me the note. I think doc wants to see if I'm progressing at all by next week (I'm 0cm dilated and about 50% effaced as of my appt today) and I need medical documentation to stop working before I give birth. I haven't said anything to my boss about leaving early yet because I wasn't sure doc would be on board. My boss wouldn't care though, he's great. I'll probably say something to him in the next few days about wanting to go early and just let him know it's on my mind. I have pretty much everything lined up here that although I'll be leaving some work, I have all the important stuff taken care of and my backups lined up to take care of my stuff when I'm gone.
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • kmyers228 said:
    Oh my...I just accidentally group texted my mom, sister, and dad a message meant for DH that read "my crotch hurts so bad today I'm full waddling" with a penguin emoji. I noticed right after I sent it and told them it wasn't meant for them haha and my dad replies "maybe baby is getting into position, good thing I got my TDAP today".  So glad I didn't say anything worse in my message!

LOL, this is hilarious. I would die if I sent that to my dad! 
  • kmyers228 said:
    Oh my...I just accidentally group texted my mom, sister, and dad a message meant for DH that read "my crotch hurts so bad today I'm full waddling" with a penguin emoji. I noticed right after I sent it and told them it wasn't meant for them haha and my dad replies "maybe baby is getting into position, good thing I got my TDAP today".  So glad I didn't say anything worse in my message!

LOL, this is hilarious. I would die if I sent that to my dad! 
    Lol yea I was pretty embarrassed for a min but then I'm like oh well, he always asks how I'm feeling so there's the lovely truth haha. I'm also glad I didn't accidentally send to my DH'S whole family group text (there's like 8 people in that one)
  • @simcal18 Yep, I have Medicaid and they do not cover breastpumps. WIC will supply a single manual if/when they have them available, but I'm going to go ahead and buy a double electric. It's a great investment that I have no problem making :) 
  • @CopperBoom86 YEP. We had guests visiting us pretty much every weekend for a month straight. MIL wanted to come again this weekend but DH told her not to. We need time to get everything together and enjoy a moment to ourselves before we're never alone again!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @simcal18 From what I understand, the state  itself decides whether or not their Medicaid programs cover breastpumps, and other such resources. Oklahoma SoonerCare unfortunately does not. Their argument is that they don't offer it because other programs (like WIC) DO offer breast pumps to low income women. The catch is, you can only get one IF and WHEN those programs have them available to offer, because they run out of them quickly.
  • @SpaceBurger I can understand a microwave or toaster oven for lunch breaks, but an actual oven? 
  • @SpaceBurger  LOL that is one of the most random office things I've heard it a while. At my old job, we had a full kitchen and I would occasionally bake cookies when it was someone's birthday or something. But if we didn't have one, I definitely wouldn't bring in a full oven. 
  • @SpaceBurger An oven?!?!? I'm so confused. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Right?!?! I'm confused too because it didn't sound like she was just heating things up, she made it sound like she brings the ingredients for empanadas and makes them here. 
  • NoraAuroraNoraAurora member
    edited September 2016
    @spaceburger - um, no. No cooking/baking at work. I'm lucky if I get a fucking lunch break at my job. No.

@annabenanna - I don't really have any leggings recommendations, I did buy some from target that someone else recommended here but when I tried them on at home (they were packaged up so I couldn't try them in the store) I found the butt was transparent when I bent over. So I'm now thinking about the blanqi high waisted leggings or the mother tucker leggings from belly bandit. I'm also looking around for longer nursing tanks than the target ones. They are a great staple but I'm pretty tall and would appreciate something longer. 

OMG you guise, I know I've linked this recipe before but I just made dough for lactation cookies and I decided to bake just one to see if they are still as good as I remember. THEY ARE. These cookies *almost* make me want to go into labor. Almost. 

ETA: has  anyone tried sizing up with leggings to prevent the unfortunate see through butt situation? I like to wear longer tops with leggings to prevent much of a butt view at all, but inevitably I will need to bend over and my shirt will ride up. Does it work or do the leggings get too loose and weird? 
  • @SpaceBurger when would the said oven be brought in? And when would said empanadas be made? In time for you to benefit? *grin* 

its really fucking weird, though. 
  • @NoraAurora I bought the ingreds for those cookies! I was sold after I read the first review - "these cookies taste good and do boost your supply,   but they're not very healthy..." Check, check, and check!! 

Is there any benefit in attempting to boost supply BEFORE baby comes? I'm guessing no but just curious 
  • @NoraAurora Just added that recipe to my arsenal.
  • @Kaytee1087, AAAAh, well that makes sense now. :)  I hope you get to take off early!

@NoraAurora, I was looking at the Mother Tuckers too!  Actually, i saw a few on PoshMark and debating whether I should get them brand new or used.  Also, I ordered ingredients for those cookies when you first posted the recipe.  So excited to make the dough this weekend!  DH was like "can we make cookie dough that's non-lactation too, please?

@SpaceBurger, um what kind of empanadas?  and is she selling them?  asking for a friend. :)
  • @simcal18 i'm REALLY hoping the Ameda works as well.  I have to go back to work in January, and I need a pump that truly works!  @LauraPCOS did say that she was at Babies R Us and the lady there said that Ameda is a really good brand.  I guess we'll have to see for ourselves.