October 2016 Moms

Weekly Randoms 9/19

Re: Weekly Randoms 9/19

• Insurance is such a cluster. I quit a phenomenal job with amazing growth potential to go back to my old company simply because the health insurance and maternity leave were so great that it made it worth it with a baby on the way. It SUCKS that I had to make a huge life decision that will change the course of my career simply because of health insurance. 
    I'm so sorry you're facing this challenge @CopperBoom86, it's incredibly unfair for a hardworking family to put in that position. FX you guys find a way forward that works. Hopefully your H's company has a better option. *hugs*

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• @CopperBoom86 Sounds like the insurance my DH is offered through his job. Try healthcare.gov. I'm not a fan of Obamacare, but the plan I got for my family has actually been a great alternative to the redonkulously expensive plan his job offers. Our coverage isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. 

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Loading the player...
  • This is why FI and I unfortunately are unable to carry insurance. If I weren't pregnant, I wouldn't have any. Medicaid has me covered until January. 
    FI is Choctaw and needs to get his roll number from his dad so he and the boys can get tribal insurance. DS is insured through his mom's tribe, and DD is carried on her dad's. If the boys all get their roll numbers, we'll only have to worry about finding insurance for me later.
  • My HR lady just called me back about adding Reagan to my insurance. It's going to be an additional $487.44 a month. Adding her to DH's insurance would be about the same. 

There's literally no way we can afford that. I looked into government assistance options in Alabama and, of course, we don't qualify. 

I have no idea what we're going to do. If anyone knows of any other options out there, could you please share? 
    We evaluated the same during my open enrollment so we had a plan for when she was born and experienced the same shock as you. For me, if I were to go with a plan that provides less up front coverage, adding Ella will cost me less. That may be a good option for you because, while there's a worry about sick visits and such, many insurance plans consider follow up visits after the baby is born to be like preventative visits... So covered 100% (read: no copay at the visit). I recommend sitting down with your company's insurance rep and talking through your options. They may have other suggestions as well.
  • @CopperBoom86 Did you look to see if just the baby would qualify for Medicaid? Here in Ohio, we make too much to cover the whole family, but there is what they call "Healthy Start" that covers kids babies up to 5 years old on Medicaid and the income restrictions are much higher that way. Or maybe that's what your "All Kids" is? I hope you can figure something out. I can't imagine how stressful that must be.

@Schell2013 Glad to hear those breast gel pads are so awesome; I got a pair at my shower! Now I'm excited to use them lol.
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • Ugh, @CopperBoom86 - I don't have much more advice to offer, but wanted to send internet hugs and empathy.  That's like a punch to the gut - especially now, when all you should be is excited to welcome Reagan!  Definitely check out healthcare.gov - I know a few people who have been able to utilize that and it helped alot.  And like everyone else suggested, maybe price it out to see about everyone going on one plan?  Good luck and try to stay positive!!

I do not understand how health insurance can cost so much money.  I know one person who downsized her plan, so she could more easily afford her mortgage and monthly expenses - only to have emergency health issues that didn't qualify under the new plan and now she has giant hospital bills.  It's just not fair. 
  • @CopperBoom86 holy shit that's insane!! I have no advice but I hope something works out.  I saw a meme on fb once that said "Sure tax the middle class to their breaking point to give it to those fully capable of working but refuse to" cause like you my DH and I are lower middle class but we live psycheck to paycheck and this baby isn't here yet and we're already broke! We wouldn't be able to afford an extra $400 a month!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @CopperBoom86 I am sorry you got hit with this so last minute. My husband actually changed jobs in  part to get better insurance. We were both working for small firms at the time so we had reasonable coverage for ourselves but neither job would cover any portion of the insurance for a child or spouse. I am not sure what field you/ your husband are in but maybe there is a larger employer that might be able to offer better benefits, even if the wages are a little lower?   
  • @CopperBoom86 I don't have much other advice rather than what others have said, but wishing you luck with figuring out the health insurance that really sucks to find that out at this point.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FI pretty much told me I could never quit my job due to our insurance because it's so cheap and lenient. Unfortunately it provides us with a better financial situation than me going and getting a raise and more time off somewhere. Some people get awesome pay and horrible insurance, and others get great insurance and not so great pay or time off benefits. 
  • @Kaytee1087 Thts what we do. We make too much for Medicaid but my SS has it and the baby will be eligible too. 

Thankfully DH is about to switch jobs tho, and then we'll all have insurance paid for by the union. Can't wait... I'm so tired of dealing with Marketplace and DHS!! Lol

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• @CopperBoom86 that is ridiculous.  Does your work offer a cheaper plan?  I just talked to my husband about this (we're all on his plan because I stay at home with our son) and we're on the QHDHP.  The more expensive plan (the PPO) costs $11,000 more a year for our family of three (soon to be four).

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.
  • Damn @CopperBoom86, that's so freaking expensive!  My work doesn't cover for family insurance either.  I mean you can add family members, but they won't contribute anything towards them.  Thankfully, DH's does.  Girl, I hope you can figure out some sort of loophole to qualifying for that government program!

@Schell2013 that was a recommended item on my Amazon and when I read the reviews, I was pretty convinced!  So I actually ordered it a few weeks ago and it's in my breastfeeding arsenal now!  Ready to go. :)
  • @CopperBoom86 Ugh, that's miserable news. I went part time two years ago temporarily and had to take out my own private insurance (because DH owns a small business and obviously doesn't get insurance through work). I ended up going back full time because we were paying almost $900/month in health insurance for DH, DS and me (and on half my old salary).

It's so sad, because there's never a right answer.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @CopperBoom86 That's awful! I am so sorry. *hugs*

For me to add Lilah it would be $175 per paycheck so $350 a month. I work for Town government so my coverage is free but to add family is ridiculous (about $700 a month). DH hadn't had insurance until his new job because it was $500 a month. Our initial plan has always been to add the kids to my insurance. But the insurance offered through my work is very regional and since I work so far from where we live, it makes it hard to find providers near the house.

With DH's new job, he can get better insurance and a lower deductible for him and the baby for $400 a month (it would be about $200 just for him), so we are adding her to his.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• mizzkbrat said:
    FI pretty much told me I could never quit my job due to our insurance because it's so cheap and lenient. Unfortunately it provides us with a better financial situation than me going and getting a raise and more time off somewhere. Some people get awesome pay and horrible insurance, and others get great insurance and not so great pay or time off benefits. 
    This is pretty much exactly where I stand. We haven't had an employee contribution raise in premiums since 2001. The company has just been eating all the hikes, so we pay an embarrassingly low amount for health insurance. I definitely am underpaid for my position, but I know it kind of evens out when you factor in the insurance though. I'd love to start looking around after baby is born to see what else is out there, but I'm sort of afraid to because I know our insurance premiums will probably skyrocket if I find something. :/
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • So much catching up to do...

@sjo_thetwins @mizzkbrat Congrats on being done working! Best Friday ever!

@MRSCORKER That's awesome you get to work from home now! I asked my HR rep if I could work from home a few days a week once my leave was over and I'm hoping I hear a good answer back. I was so nervous to ask!

@CopperBoom86 Health insurance is such a headache, I'm sorry. I have no advice but I hope you find a solution!

@Schell2013 I was wondering if those were as amazing as they sounded! Better add them to my stash!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks for your kind words, ladies! I'm choosing to believe there are better options out there and we'll explore those next week. I hate it when stuff like this happens on a Friday! 

On a better note: I just came back from the doctor and I'm dilated 2 cm! The doctor was nearly as shocked as I was. She said she was not expecting me to be dilated at all yet. I know it's no indicator that I'll go into labor anytime soon, but it's progress, so that's fun! :)
    Yay for dilation! They haven't checked me yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be locked up like a vault when they do lol
  • @CopperBoom86 - I know you've gotten a million tags now, and I only have a (potential) short term solution but it may be enough to help you through til you can make a change - under my insurance, DS was covered through me for something like 30-90 days. Talk to your insurance co and see if they do the same (it may even be a federal law, not sure). This could help you until you either all get on a plan with your H, or until you can possibly look for a job with better bennies. So sorry you are dealing with this at the final hour. 
  • @CopperBoom86 who is your insurance through/your husbands insurance through? SO works for an insurance company and knows a lot about it and may be able to offer some sort of guidance. I will ask her when she gets home. 
  • @Schell2013 I'm glad you finally got everything figured out! 
  • Thanks @AllyTheKid me too! I hope my remaining time pregnant is not eventful. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @CopperBoom86 so, advice from SO:

look into getting a family insurance plan with your H's insurance, or go to healthcare.gov and see what it costs to get you and baby (or just baby, but may be cheaper for you too) enrolled through there. Sorry that's probably not much help, but she seems to think insurance through the healthcare.gov would be cheaper for you guys. 
  • Thank you, @sjo_thetwins! We're going to check into all those things on Monday.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CONGRATULATIONS @bamacoop
    It's 6 am here and I couldn't sleep so I decided to check TB... Saw your post and also had to show DH (Cuz, cute baby, duh), aaaaand now we're all up, haha. Hope you can get some rest and see your baby asap!!! 
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • Ahhh congrats @bamacoop!! Hope you get off that magnesium soon and you can have all the baby snuggles! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Congrats @bamacoop!!!! Lewis is so handsome. Sending so many healthy vibes to you both and hoping he gets out of the NICU soon!
  • @bamacoop so glad that it went well!!! lewis is adorable!!!! 
  • Congrats @bamacoop!  So scary but I'm glad baby is safe and sound.  Hopefully it doesn't take too long for both of you to get better and get some snuggles!
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Congratulations @bamacoop!!! He's precious! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @bamacoop Congratulations!!! SO glad everything ended up going well!! That must have been so scary! I can't wait for you to get your baby cuddles!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @bamacoop congratulations! He looks perfect!!