April 2017 Moms
Options

Baby Names

Re: Baby Names

• Options
    What do people think of the name Grady? It came up during one of our name discussions today and I think it might be one of my favorites so far. It sounds awesome with our last name too, and the middle name we are using (Lewis). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kitkat8387 I like it! It's unique without being strange and is still easy to spell. 

We're thinking more seriously now about going with Margaret Grace instead of Grace Margaret. I don't know if we'll fully decide before she's born, though. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @cafedisco could you do a male version of grandmother's name if it's a boy? e.g. George for Georgia? 
    I hadn't thought about that - it's a good idea. I'm not sure if it would work in our case though. I never share names, but what the heck. My grandmother's name was Peggy.  Not sure what a male version would be. Anyone have ideas?
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Options
    herewegrowherewegrow member
    edited November 2016
    @cafedisco we had the opposite, our girls' first names are just ones we liked but this boy's names are both after the different sides of my husband's family. It doesn't feel weird to us, especially since he will be going by a nickname and not the "old man" name on his birth certificate. 

ETA: Peggy... Peter? Any P name? Pegasus... That's pretty out there!
  • Options
    @herewegrow I'm chuckling about Pegasus. I am going to suggest it to DH just to see his face :)

I love the name Peter but DH hates it, it's already come up. Naming a kid is hard. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I think we've decided on Samuel Ellis Shelor for our baby boy.  Both family names that mean a lot to us.  Most people we've told absolutely hate the name Ellis, but we try not to let it bother us :smile:
  • Options
    My husband and I are at a stalemate when it comes to names and it's been really frustrating. Maybe because we're team green so it is a little harder to narrow down names? 

Ive been going through this thread for inspiration though. 
  • Options
    teamla-2teamla-2 member
    edited November 2016
    @cafedisco There isn't a male equivalent for Margaret, but you could maybe get away with Mark or Garrett on sound even though they're totally unrelated. 

Any other options?
  • Options
    Garrett is a cute idea since Peggy is short for Margaret!
  • Options
    @catem07  I love Margaret Grace!  
    We just found out we're having a girl and we're naming her Margaret Emma Rebecca.  I'm not thrilled with the 2 middle names but my dh won't budge .  Rebecca was his mom's name. I think they always called her Emma Rebecca so he insist Emma has to be in there as well.  Margaret was my grandmother's name and I absolutely love it! 
  • Options
    My boyfriend and his family are pretty traditional. Having their parents names part of their children's names. This will be his family's first grandchild and 14th on my side haha I am the youngest out of 8 kids. So having my families names in there isn't a big deal for me so I kind of let him take the reigns for choosing baby's name. We do not find out the sex for our baby till December 5th but we have had the names picked out for months. His grandmother whome he loved dearly and was a amazing classy heart of gold woman passed away early this past month from a hard long battle with breast cancer. This would have been her first Great grandchild . We knew she didn't have very long so we had a early ultrasound at 10 weeks so we could tell her about baby. She was ecstatic . And one of the best part was that she was like the baby will be born in April! As is my boyfriends mother as is my birthday. She called our baby to be her little Diamond baby . Anyway she did not know this because my boyfriend didn't want her to know we were going to do this but if the baby is a girl we will be naming her Desiree Sandra Ruth. Sandra is my boyfriends mothers name and Ruth was his grandmothers . If we have a boy he will be Lincoln Edward. Edward is my boyfriends fathers name. Sorry for the long story haha just thought it deserved the back story . 
  • Options
    @Emmyhm88, we are big on family names, too.  All three of our kids will be named after someone we love.  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married: 12-04-06 
    Annabelle: 1-1-08
    Patrick: 8-15-10
    EDD: 4-20-17
  • Options
    @RachelGreene, good luck with the names!  My husband and I battled with our first, but we knew we were having a girl.  He finally came up with Annabelle Grace and I loved it instantly.  Then he wanted to change it to Abigail and I refused so he pouted.  LOL.  We are team green this time, but somehow we managed to pick names already.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married: 12-04-06 
    Annabelle: 1-1-08
    Patrick: 8-15-10
    EDD: 4-20-17
  • Options
    Husband wants Brooke for girl or Brooks for boy. I really hope he is joking. 

• Options

I like Brooke and Brooks...not as a twin-set, but as a single name.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @kcasset One of my good friends in high school was Katherine Paige and she went by Paige. Love the name choice!
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Options
    Names are a big issue here, Husband is still set on the name Greyson, which I like but don't love. Daughter is still set on the name Walker Gustavo.. I actually don't mind Walker, but Husband wont have it as a first name.. We can't discuss names with my family bc they are very opinionated (made that mistake when picking out DDs name and my mom said "Im so glad it's not a girl this time I hated all your girl name choices" then told me she was going to call the baby something else if she hates what we pick out..)
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Options
    @HappyAnjel haha! I love that your daughter has such a strong opinion. I'm not sure I'd like Gustavo either lol. But I can't believe your mother is so opinionated that she'd actually call the baby something else. I've definitely decided not to tell extended family but might still tell my parents. I don't know.  :D
  • Options
    @HGRich Im pretty impressed with her name choice since most 4 year olds would come up with something more cartoon based and out there.. My husband is trying to get my MIL on his side and has told her his choice, thankfully she's not nearly as opinionated as my mom and knows not to tell her.  My mom actually went on a 10 minute rant the other day about how DD said a boy at her Preschools name is Jacob.. and my mom thinks it's a weird name (despite me informing her its not even on our list of names, but has been one of the most common names in the US for years...)
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Options

No joke, a friend of a friend of mine is named Brooke and married a guy with the last name Brooks. Her legal name now is Brooke Br.ooks. (Period added in case she Googles herself...I've only met her a handful of time and she's really lovely, but I can't help but giggle about her name.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I are butting heads. He's got this thing for monosyllabic names (both he and his brother have single syllable names, DS is James, he only eve calls me by a single syllable nickname), so he's overly concerned with being able to shorten names. He wants Juliet, nn Jules, but I don't want matching initials for our kids and I abhor the nn Jules...he's so hung up on it that I'm just waiting it out to see if he comes around to something else, haha.
  • Options
    EkzerrEkzerr member
    edited November 2016
    @happyanjel yes DD said we should name baby Kristoff :p
  • Options
    @smallanimal Yeah, Oliver is the most popular boy name in the UK, and has been up there for a number of years. Have you checked out the Office for National Statistics? It's the same idea as the US' reporting of names by the Social Security dept. Here's a link:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/livebirths/bulletins/babynamesenglandandwales/2015

You should be able to download the full data beyond the top 10 names, too.

Scotland keeps its own records, if you're interested: 

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/names/babies-first-names/babies-first-names-2015
    Me: 31 DH: 34
    DD1 born 3.2014
    DD2 born 4.2017
  • Options
    Last night I ran across 2016's list of most popular baby names (updated from 2015) - just in case you're curious.  Looks like my favorite name Evelyn dropped 8 spots from 2015! Woohoo!  :D

https://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-names-2016.htm

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @schef070911 hooray--looks like my favorite boy name is dropping. Maybe by the time we have one it'll be even less popular. Meanwhile this just confirms my decision not to name baby girl Sophia.  :|
  • Options
    I wouldn't go by that list for the most accurate data because it's not based on actual records, just BabyCenter users. But still interesting! Our name is not very popular at all--around 350 and dropping.  
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    I'd rely on the list that Social Security puts out every May rather than any of the baby naming sites. Behind the Name links to the ss website for popularity stats.
  • Options
    I'd rely on the list that Social Security puts out every May rather than any of the baby naming sites. Behind the Name links to the ss website for popularity stats.
    I completely agree. As an example, the BabyCenter list has William down at 25. In the 115 years of Social Security data, William has never been lower than the 20th spot, and that was 20 years ago. William is firmly a top ten boys' name, for the near future, at least. I'd definitely take the BabyCenter list with a generous pinch of salt.
    Me: 31 DH: 34
    DD1 born 3.2014
    DD2 born 4.2017
  • Options
    Oh I'd definitely rely on the SSA list (or the equivalent in other countries) over the one I posted! It's just for fun mainly since I was curious if anything's changed in 2016 so far (and by May, well, hopefully we have her named by then... ha!). 
  • Options
    @KirstinH88 that would drive me crazy! Is he waiting until Christmas to tell you?!