April 2017 Moms

Baby Names

Re: Baby Names

• Just found out we are having another little girl and both knew at the ultrasound we want to call her Genevieve. But we have no idea on middle names. Genevieve Lee is the closest. Lee is my middle name. We would like to call her evie. My mil middle name is eve so it would be that nickname for her. 
  • wagnerw said:
    @KirstinH88 that would drive me crazy! Is he waiting until Christmas to tell you?!
    I think so. I have no clue. I was bugging him about names again and this was our conversation:

DH: I already have a name picked out.
    Me: You do? What is it?
    DH: I can't tell you.
    Me: What the hell??! Are you just sitting on it to make sure you really like it?
    DH: Yea.
    Me: Well I'd rather if we sat on it together.
    DH: Babe, quit bugging me.

Then later I asked if he was waiting for Christmas and he said he didn't know. He's so secretive!!! I'm pretty sure the first name is Cruz and then he's picking one of my names that I've suggested as a middle.
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Loading the player...
  • @KirstinH88 Oh my, I hope he spills the beans soon!  :)

DH and I talked names again last night on our drive home.  We have a list of our top 3-4 names but I just can't totally commit for some reason. Currently, our top favorites are Wyatt, Cooper, Hudson, and Parker.  Last night DH suggested Clay (I'm not a fan) and I told him that Caleb is my top name (which we had already discussed and he hates because of a guy from college he didn't like).   I think I finally admitted to myself that I LOVE Caleb so much and nothing seems to compare as well.  Now I feel a sense of sadness over a name I won't get to use.

This led us to brain storming and looking at new names for inspiration. We both like the sound of a certain name, but cannot figure out an appropriate spelling.  Looking for some input if you ladies don't mind :)

The name is Calen (rhymes with talon) .  We tossed around Calen, Callyn, Callon, Callen and the same varieties with a K.  DH says this name is now in his top 3 and I like the name as well.  But, I don't want to send my kid through life constantly having to spell or pronounce his first name.  
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @wagnerw I love Wyatt and Parker! As far as the spelling for the new name. A friend of mine is currently pregnant, due in February, and they are naming him Callen. And I think I like this spelling the best. Least favorite spelling is with the Y.
  • @KirstinH88 I'm not a fan of the y either, but DH is convinced that Callen/Callan would be confused or pronounced as Colin. From a teachers stand point I told that absolutely never even crossed my mind, and I've tried pronouncing a lot of names. He says he is sold on Wyatt, and I do really like it. I just can't say that I am 100% sure on it yet 
  • HGRichHGRich member
    edited December 2016
    @wagnerw I agree with @KirstinH88 about the spelling. I think Calen most people would pronounce like Caleb. A double consonant makes the vowel short instead of long so it should come naturally to pronounce Callen like talon. Callon works too but it reminds me of callous. Haha. 
  • One of friends is Calin (pronounced like talon)  :) I'm definitely not a fan of the y spelling, looks super feminine that way. 
  • I think Callen will be pronounced "cah-lin" all the time as that's phonetic. Calen might be slightly better. How do you feel about just Kale/Cale? 
  • Thanks for all your input ladies. Knew I could count on all of you
  • I agree that Callen will be the easiest to pronounce.  I think if he says his name, he will always have to spell it just because it's not common enough.  That's not a bad thing though!

Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • @wagnerw I have an acquaintance that just named their little one "Callen" and when I heard, I said it the way you're picturing (rhyming with "talon"). Just food for thought! (I'd pronounce Calen like "kay-lynn" and Callon as "call-ohn".)
  • @Shaunessa great name! DS is Max and I love the name Santiago!
  • DH really likes Declan. I don't dislike it, but don't feel as "sold" as I did when we picked DS's name. I really hate making big decisions while pregnant!
  • Baby name game has been so hard for us! Right now we mostly agree on Molly Mae or Mae  Frances or Margaret for a girl. For a boy the middle name will be Carl or Daniel, but we can't decide on a first name. We threw around Matthew, so that's a possibility. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD: 6/20/11
    DS: 2/23/13
    EDD: 4/15/17 

•  @wagnerw I like it spelled kallon! I'm Erika and DD is Khloe so partial to k names :p.
  • @kirstinH88 that's a really cute name! I love the name Samuel.
  • @KirstinH88 and you didn't even have to wait til Christmas!!!  :)  What a strong name.  Do you think you'll use any nicknames of Samuel?
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • @KirstinH88 hooray! You got a name! I love that name! 
  • @KirstinH88 Yay! Awesome name!

We are getting no where on the name front.  DH will not budge and I like his top name less and less, Its not a bad name its just not my babies name!
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • @smallanimal of course I'm bias towards Max. I love it. But I also love the name Theo! Oliver is also really cute, but I feel like it's a bit too popular in my area of the world.
  • @smallanimal Theodore is one of my top picks. I love the nickname Theo. I also love the name Oliver, but will never use it due to its popularity in my area and is the name of an ex-boyfriend.

@thecavfamily Use the name you love! It is after all your baby! I haatteeedd the name that my sister had picked for my niece (I actually ended up vetoing a few of her names) but now I can't image her with any other name. My sister is also pregnant now and I do not like the name of my future nephew, but what I can I do? I'm not going to love him any less.
  • @thecavfamily I hope they don't ruin any of them for you. DH and I finally have a couple we both like but neither of us love. So frustrating. We like Lucy, actually. And Evanna (Evie), and Slyvie. Any thoughts? 
  • @HGRich I like Lucy. I think it's simple and timeless. I also like Evanna because it's unique, but the nickname is easy. 
  • @KirstinH88  Samuel is a great name!!!! But then again, I'm partial to Sam's (being one that is :wink:)

Your DS is Max?  My twins are going to be Max and Miles!! 
    TTC Numero uno since 01/13
    Me 31, DH 32, Married 08/08
    02/13/15-HSG-All Clear
    07/25/15-50mg Clomid CD3-7+IUI #1 cd14-3 Follicles; SA 21Mill- BFN
    08/19/15-25mg Clomid CD3-7+IUI #2 cd15-just ovulated, SA 42Mill- BFN
    09/10/15-25mg Clomid CD3-7+IUI #3 cd14-2 Follicles; SA 45Mill- BFN
    01/26/16-IVF#1-Follistim 200IU CD2-CD9, Ganirelix CD6-CD10, hCG 5000IU CD10
    ER 02/05-20 Retrieved - 11 Matured, 9 Fertilized, ET 2/10 (1 Transferred, 4 Frz) - BFP 2/19, M/C-3/5-Trisomy 16
    05/03/16-Karyotyping-Good
    06/15/16-Endometrial Biopsy-Negative
    06/21/16-IVF #2-BCP CD3-23, Lupron 10IU CD18-CD2, 5IU-CD13, Gonal-F 225IU CD3-13, hCG 5000IU,
    ER 07/14-14 Retrieved,11 Matured, 10 Fertilized, ET 07/19 (2 Transferred, 6 Frz), BFP 7/28, 8/16 U/S-TWINS! 
    Due Date - April 6, 2017  UPDATED March 23, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @super_sam03 We must have good taste in names!  ;) Yes, DS is Max. Love the name choices!
  • @HGRich Sylvie is my favorite from those three. Actually, Sylvia is my top choice for this little one, but DH isn't a fan, unfortunately.  :'(

@thecavfamily Your baby to name, not theirs. Screw their negative reactions and go with what you and DH like best. We're keeping the name a secret (once we decide) until birth, not so much to avoid people's reactions but more to keep something a surprise since we found out the sex this time. But, avoiding people's reactions is a bonus in my book!
    Me: 31 DH: 34
    DD1 born 3.2014
    DD2 born 4.2017
  • Okay ladies, I need some advice (I think I am just stuck in my own head because we do NOT discuss names with anyone before baby is here due to lots of things mentioned already, haha)...we are so stuck on a name for baby girl.

I would like for the MN to be Katherine after a very important family member, but that's not set in stone.

My top choice is Maren. DH loves it too and was totally on board until someone pointed out that it is a little rhyme-y with Katherine. Currently we have Juliet as a backup MN, but DS has a very, very meaningful MN and I don't know if it would be weird that DD wouldn't.

DH's top choice is Laurel. I really like this name, but our last name is two syllables and starts with a Cour- sound, so I worry that this name is too rhyme-y. The best way that I can think of to describe it is "bouncy". 

I don't know if either of those things should be/really are deal breakers, but we are just not able to push through. What do you guys think?

Other names that we considered but have passed on are: Lydia, Juliet, Rosalind, Audrey, Charlotte, and Sylvia. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @SnarkasaurusRex honestly I think Maren Katherine is fine. I like Maren. It's not too rhyme-y either. Not like Maren Karen or anything.   :D

I also think Laurel is pretty. I get the bouncy concern though. My last name is three syllables which makes a lot of names a bouncy mouthful. So I'm not sure what to say there. 
  • @SnarkasaurusRex I think Maren is lovely and even with a couple different pronunciations I tried, I don't think it's too rhymey with Katherine at all.