July 2016 Moms
Options

Feeding Your Baby

Re: Feeding Your Baby

• Options
    @stellaluna14 were doing the same as @foxa319 and @austinjl- a few here in there so my husband can participate/bind in feeding and getting us ready to be able to leave if needed. Our LO hasn't had any issues with bottles/breast. She seems to take it however she can get it. Except cold, lol. She does prefer it be at least room temp! We've also had to do some formula supplementing and even that hasn't deterred her from the breast. 
  • Options
    How do you all transport breastmilk bottles if you want to use them while you're out? I'm not pumping much yet, but I did pump one bottle when I was super engorged at the beginning of the week and it's on the fridge, so I was thinking about taking it with us tomorrow night when we go to DHs coworker's house since I haven't figured out the whole bf'ing in public thing yet. And then how do you warm them when you're out and about? This whole thing has me baffled, lol.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @winnie1122 The one time we brought some out we wrapped a flexi ice pack around it and kept it in a ziplock. It actually froze by the time we needed it so we had to dunk it in some hot water for a few minutes. 
  • Options
    @winnie1122 my diaper bag has 2 insulated side pockets that we will put a small ice pack in to keep cold. My sister has a little cooler that matches her diaper bag and she can do the same. I would ask for a mug and fill w hot w hot water and put the bottle in there for a few mins if you're at a restaurant otherwise if at a friends or something heat the water in a microwave! 
  • Options
    We have bottle coolers that I registered for (mainly bc when she goes to daycare I have to premade the breast milk bottles for the day. Both coolers came with ice packs. When we leave the house I just put the bottle in with an ice pack and then heat it up by putting it in a bowl of hot water. You could use any insulated package and an ice pack to keep it cold. If you're at someone's house you can then put the bottle in their fridge if they don't mind.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about milk that has been chilled already in the fridge.  But as long as the milk is kept at room temperature it can last up to 6 hours.   I've never been able to master the BF'ing in public thing either... so I would always just pump before I left and place it right in my diaper bag.   By the time DS was ready for a feeding it was always well within that 6 hour time limit.  
    Anniversary: 10/10/09
    DS: 11/21/14
    DD: 7/5/16

• Options
    @shaylalr At 11 days old, my LO is doing about 12 minutes on each breast for a total of 24 minutes now. But I have to keep him awake to do it.  Previously he was doing like 4-8 minutes per breast, then like yours, would be hungry again an hour or an hour and a half later. Or - On the first breast, he would go super long (like >20 minutes) but I could tell towards the end it was lazy sucking and he wasn't getting much out of it. So he would barely spend any time on the 2nd breast after tiring himself out on the 1st. Then be hungry again in an hour/hour and a half.

At recommendation of my LC, this is what I've been doing.

1) Allow LO to have two "let downs" on the first breast.  For me, he'll start falling asleep at 8 minutes. To keep him going, I press and apply pressure to the arch of the bottom of his foot. Apparently this activates some reflex, and helps him to keep going.  Then I let him continue for another 3 or 4 minutes.  If he goes much longer than that, I'll pull him off. Because at that point, according to my LC, he expending more energy sucking than he actually is intaking from the breast at that point.

2) Before switching him to the other breast, I change his diaper. This definitely wakes him up.

3) Repeat on the second breast using the same techniques to keep him on/awake. But if he wants to go a little longer than 12 minutes, let him do it.. for a little bit.. maybe 2/3 minutes. Then cut him off. 

The past few days I've been trying this, he's been getting a nice rest afterwards... We're feeding every 2.5-3 hours. Knock on wood though.  Obviously the feeding time will be different for every baby.. But hope the principal is helpful..
  • Options
    M has been feeding ALL DAY LONG. Holy three week growth spurt!!! 
  • Options
    @stellaluna14 that was a tough week I feel like I didn't ever have a minute without him latched on! Whew. Hopefully he's giving you a couple breaks here and there. 
  • Options
    At 4 weeks I starting giving our LO a bottle for his last feed of the day, and now this is part of our bedtime routine every night. This way if I'm not around my husband can do it also! 
  • Options
    @theshannondee it was nonstop pretty much all day. Luckily he slept well over night so I actually got a couple good stretches. Small favors right? 
  • Options
    I'm getting really frustrated with pumping. I was told to try pumping for just a few minutes about a half hour after every feeding just to help build my freezer stash. It takes me about 2 days to get to 4 oz. I feel like at this rate I won't have enough for when I go back to work in September. Also found out the problem with my pump; the second tube I have doesn't work, so while I wait for the new one, I'm pumping one side at a time so it takes forever. Anybody have any tips at all for different things I can try to get more during a pumping session?
  • Options
    Anyone else feel like they're maybe overfeeding their baby? When I can't get the munchkin to stop fussing my go-to solution is to stick him on my boob since he tends to comfort-suckle. He also spits up a fair bit and I know that can be caused by overfeeding/ having a overly full tummy. I worry that I'm making it worse by nursing him too often/ nursing to sleep. I worry that I'm not trying hard enough to soothe him in other ways and it's really simple to just nurse him. Feeling like a bad momma here. 
  • Options
    https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

This video discusses maximizing milk production.  I've found showering before pumping helpful as well as breast massaged discussed in the video.  Even breaking the suction for a few seconds and putting the pump back on has helped.  I would say don't just rely on the pump and use the methods in the video.  Good luck @schaze
  • Options
    Thanks @stellaluna14. I swear just when you stop worrying if you're meeting their basic needs you find a whole new set of things to worry about. 
  • Options
    @schaze you can try the massage techniques suggested, as well as a warm pack or compress if you don't want to get in the shower. I have the boob heat/ice packs they sell at target with the little gel beads in them, they just have to be heated in the microwave for 10-15 seconds which is convenient. You could also try some supply-increasing diet changes if you aren't already incorporating those.

I had been drinking the mother's milk tea, but with the heat and the PP sweats I was getting really annoyed at smelling like maple syrup all the time. If anything, I am teetering on the edge of over-supply at this point and I'm afraid I'm going to run out of room in the freezer, but I'm EPing so things are a little different. What kind of storage/organizing solutions have you all come up with for the freezer? It's all dated, but right now it's just piled in the drawer and not organized at all. 
  • Options
    @schaze Eat lots of oatmeal! this always boosted my supply with DS.  On another note.... I can't speak from personal experience, because I'm a SAHM, but I know from my son's bmb a lot of women were worried about stocking up milk for when they returned to work.  At the time there was a bf'ing "guru" on TB and she always assured the moms that all you really need to worry about stocking is that first day of work.  You'll then pump at work what you need for the next day.  Also.... because you won't be nursing your baby during those hours you should have enough for the next day.  Have you ever tried pumping a bottle for your LO before they feed to actually see how much you can get? 
    Anniversary: 10/10/09
    DS: 11/21/14
    DD: 7/5/16

• Options
    Well, since Lane is so big, it complicated feeding a bit. He took to nursing like a champ, and nursed constantly the 24 hours we were in the hospital. However, his weight loss was too significant. The pediatrician didn't force me to, but he strongly encouraged me to supplement. Honestly, I don't even feel like trying to breastfeed at all right now. I'm to exhausted, and he's happy now.
  • Options
    @singingmama10 I'll try that next time just to see how much I can get out. And that is true, really all I need is that first day and maybe some for if I need to go out and drop her off with her grandparents. Thank you, @austinjl! I used massage after my shower today and got 2 oz out, and this was about 30 minutes after a feeding session! I'll keep trying that as well. You ladies are awesome :)
  • Options
    @hannahmp our baby was very large as well and the first few days we supplemented with formula and we used a little syring the nurses gave us to make it seem like he was getting the milk through BF. My milk came in the day we left the hospital and I stopped supplementing. At his dr's appt yesterday we were told that baby M hasn't lost any more weight since he left the hospital. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• Options
    @Kellyj103 that's good to hear! They did blood sugar tests on him in the hospital, and wouldn't call it good until he got 3 in a row that were good. It took 8 tests before we got 3 in a row. I didn't know that was a thing for big babies. I didn't have GD or anything. I will see what happens, milk still isn't in as of this morning.
  • Options
    Just joining with a new LO. Baby boy will not wake up for anything! Even if we seem to really annoy him he wakes for about 3 seconds and has no interest in eating. He nursed right after birth and hasn't again over 7 hours later. It's freaking me out. We've tried stripping him, skin to skin, tickling his lips...he is happy to just sleep away! Anyone else deal with this?
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @whataboutscience Yeah, my LO wasn't super hungry in the hospital either, and we always had to wake him up during a feed when he did eat. The nurse I had said it was pretty normal since they still have a belly full of amniotic fluid I guess? His appetite has greatly increased and so has his alertness over the past few weeks, it can just take some time. Another thing you can do if he really won't wake up is take a cool wet cloth to his forehead, that worked for us a few times.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    My baby also barely ate at the hospital. The first 12 hours she only ate once. I also couldn't wake her up. She ended up throwing up a lot of blood and amniotic fluid and then was starving and got on a schedule. 
  • Options
    Okay, thanks. The nurse during the day shift has reassured me this is normal. He has spit up a decent amount of blood and amniotic fluid this morning, so we were told his belly was probably too full already. He slept for basically 10 hours straight this morning. We tried literally everything to wake him, including a cool cloth. We could make him cry and two seconds later he'd be back asleep, every single time. I had no clue such a thing was possible. It was a miracle if DD stayed asleep for more than 10 minutes right from the beginning, so it's just so outside what we expected.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @hannahmp have you tried mother's milk? It was offered to me in the hospital and my milk came in during day 3. Fx your milk comes in soon! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• Options
    HeathereaddyHeathereaddy member
    edited July 2016
    I feel like a rat on a wheel with this feeding over and over. It makes me feel like she's not getting enough per session. She eats for 10 minutes on one side then lays down on the Bobby for like 2-3 minutes then wants to eat again. If she's cluster feeding I hope it ends soon. 
  • Options
    @Heathereaddy i know what you mean about a rat in a wheel!  Today was DH's first day back at work but he got to work from home.  Every time he got up from his desk and went to theliving room,  there i was either nursing or just finishing nursing.   He's justlooking at me amazed that i'm glued to rhd same spot so much of the day.  As far I know,  getting 10+ minutes on each side per feeding session is normal.  My LO does about 12, give or take per side with a diaper change in between and i consider that one feeding session.  Then he can go about 2.5 hours,give or take a half an hour, from tue beginning of one feeding to the beginning of the next .
  • Options
    @heathereaddy Can you tell if she is swallowing and actually eating every time? My daughter shows signs of "hunger" all the time, but she won't actually eat anything. It cracked my nipples and I was utterly exhausted. People are constantly telling me she is hungry, but she isn't. The lactation consultant said she has a strong need to suck and to offer her alternatives if I need to. Once I realized that things got much better. I just pop her off once I notice that she has stopped eating and just wants something to suck on. It gives me a break. She's gaining well and producing more than enough diapers so I know she is getting enough. 
  • Options
    HeathereaddyHeathereaddy member
    edited July 2016
    @shaylalr  Yes my daughter shows signs of hunger all the time too! Even after a bottle she'll root on my chest, stick her tongue out, hands in mouth etc. which makes me think she's never full. She's having wet and dirty diapers and gained weight at her appointment last week. Most of the time I can hear her swallowing when she eats, especially when she eats on my better producing boob. Sometimes I only hear a couple of swallows on the other boob and she definitely sucks for shorter periods of time on that one. We give her a paci but she's not crazy about it. She'd rather suck on my nipple which is torture hours of feedings. 

@kellz14  I would love 2 hours between feedings in the daytime but lately It's seems like she's nursing over and over for hours then she'll take a 2 hour nap twice a day.
  • Options
    @Heathereaddy yep some infants have a very strong need to suck, mine included. He also wants to cluster feed during the daytime and it gets frustrating. I will literally just sit in the same spot all day and feed him it seems. Hopefully it's just a phase though. Binge watching TV seems to help. I also have a painful latch on my right side and I can't figure out what's wrong. Other than one LC told me he had a slight lip tie so his top lip won't flange out all the way. I'm not sure if his pedi would be willing to do something about it though...
  • Options
    Feeling a little deflated right now. I've been EPing  and had to supplement with formula for the first time this morning because I didn't produce enough milk yesterday to last through to today. Up to this point I've normally been producing enough to keep up, with a bottle or 2 leftover, but the past few days my supply seems to be at one extreme or the other (over producing or barely producing at all) and I'm not sure why. I know my baby's happy & he's got a full tummy and that's all that matters...I don't know why I'm even so upset about all of this right now. I'm not going to be able to pump at work when I go back in another month and have already been trying to mentally prepare myself for when I have to transition him to formula with a bottle of breastmilk here and there...I think I'm going to have a harder accepting it than I thought.
  • Options
    setoshsetosh member
    Even though I've read all of your stories about feeding I tried to lie to myself and think it wouldn't be too bad. Boy was I wrong. My hospital really pushes breastfeeding which is amazing because that's what I want! However, I'm not really producing much colostrum and his blood sugar is slightly low. Had to almost beg for formula after he got stuck in his feet six times last night. The LCs are good, but I think I just need a few days for my milk to come in. I'm still trying to hand express and latch him with a nipple shield even if he's not getting anything he is darn good at it!!
  • Options
    @Heathereaddy @rnyland1 My munchkin is doing the same thing. Wanting to nurse 24/7 and showing signs of hunger when he's just nursed off a full boob while swallowing and there's no way he should be hungry. Last night he fussed and wanted to nurse allllll night long and my poor nipples were killing me by morning. I get that he's using me as a human pacifier and we've tried to get him to take a real one to no avail. We talked about pumping or supplementing but that's not the problem. Anyone have any other tips or is this just a phase he'll grow out of? He was one month old yesterday. 

• Options
    @jjtruffles What the heck!! I'm having your same issues! A day ago I swear I had a TON of milk and needed her help cleaning me out frequently enough. Yesterday I'm pretty sure I had a shortage. Ugh!! I'm pretty sure her intake has picked up. She's a month now so the expectations are more and more each meal. I've done some supplementing too but now I'm nervous that that's going to be a daily issue! :neutral: Not what I had in mind. 
  • Options
    @jjtruffles same thing here, it's all over the place. I've done formula feedings a few times during the day to get my stash back up again. Gotta keep telling ourselves as long as they are getting fed that's all that matters.

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Options
    @jennyleigh16 as far as the pacifier, have you tried different types? I have 3 different ones, and my baby definitely prefers one over the others, and straight up refuses one. Might be worth it to get a couple different brands? 
    Besides that, they definitely go through phases of wanting to nurse constantly. Ari was 1 month yesterday and was like that last night, awake and constantly eating it seemed like. Guessing it's a phase..
  • Options
    What brand of pacifiers have worked for y'all? My kid hates the avent one and she barely tolerates the mam one. She's using me a pacifier and to stay awake and it's killing my nips. 
  • Options
    Mine likes the Nuk ones. Mams are OK but not as good as the nuks. She hates all the round style ones, they won't even stay in her mouth.