July 2016 Moms

Feeding Your Baby

Re: Feeding Your Baby

• @DarkCat lurking but I've also heard you can get a regular sports bra from target and just cut out holes for the nipples/pump. Not sure of the cost but it's a thought!
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
    MamaBishLDSJM123Puddles03blissylissy86
  • Good idea @sboston06! @DarkCat So I'm usually a 34D now 38DD after pregnancy and I use an L...
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate that so many of us are going through these crazy cluster feed schedules at night! @winnie1122 I can't tell if it's comfort nursing or not. I can tell he's eating. I can see the milk in his mouth and hear him swallowing. We have tried a pacifier and it has worked a couple times but not always. I'm not against using it but right now I'm trying to not use it as much until my milk supply regulates. 

Its hard nursing at night too. I have a small light I'll turn on so I can see but it's not bright enough for me to really see his mouth/latch. So in addition to no sleep my nipples are being ripped to shreds from bad latches. Sometimes it takes me a bit to get him to unlatch and I just silently yell out in pain! 
    winnie1122jennyleigh16
  • carolynpetitecarolynpetite member
    edited July 2016
    @megstervt I haven't leaked with any of my pregnancies and have successfully nursed 2 (hopefully soon 3) babies for 12+ months. Don't let this worry you!
    mandyjuliemegstervtLDSJM123
  • @theshannondee my best advice is to keep up with the bottles! Start early (I think 3 weeks is safe) and give bottles regularly so your baby is used to them before daycare. (From experience, trust me you will be thankful later, even though it seems like more work now!)
    deuxbouledoguesholly142sboston06
  • carolynpetitecarolynpetite member
    edited July 2016
    @DarkCat I used this exact one with my first when I was working and pumping - it's awesome to be hands free while pumping. I had a closed door office so I could even keep working while pumping, it was great!

I nursed and pumped with my first because I was working. With my 2nd I exclusively nursed because I didn't want an oversupply and I quit my job. It is hard to never be able to be away for more than a few hours so I'm hoping to get this next baby to be a flexible nursed/bottle taker for those times I'd like to be away for more than 2 hours! We will see! @rakel88
    holly142
  • I am nursing and pumping.  Elijah lost too much weight so I'm trying to fatten him up!

Has anyone had the experience of baby spitting up through their mouth and nose at the same time?  It is terrifying......
  • Yes my babe has spat up out of nose and mouth a few times now. I have a bulb suction I use to clear the nose, seems to help! 
    austinjlPinkLady2015
  • @austinjl yep, I started using the Nose Frida to help out! 
    austinjl
  • @DarkCat and @sboston06 I totally cut holes over the nips in one of my cheap zip-front sports bras. It works flawlessly! I think I spent $10 on the thing when I bought it. Definitely worth a shot if you want to try it out before buying the more expensive Medela version. Either way, hands free is so much nicer. I get stuff done on the computer while pumping and I think it helps me relax more since I'm not sitting here holding the bottles in a weird position.
    sboston06
  • Anyone else unable to pump? I'm trying to empty my breast to get out a stubborn plugged duct so I have tried pumping after I feed her. I get really small drops out but nothing else. I hand expressed an ounce out so I know that it wasn't just because I was empty. The pump just does nothing for me! 
  • edited July 2016
    Ladies cutting holes in sports bras, dumb question: do you cut the holes big enough to fit the entire flange, or just your nipple?

Edited to answer @shaylalr-I had the same problem last week. It really helped me to put a warm washcloth/compress on the boob first and massage before pumping. I was able to get the clog out in no time.
  • Hi ladies! This thread is awesome. So glad to have everyone here for a resource. 

For the pumping bra: I used an old bathing suit and cut a hole big enough for the small end of the flange that connects to the pump. I love it because not only is it hands free and was free to me, I look like the machine gun boob lady from Austin Powers! It's pretty awesome. DH and I crack up every time I put it on. 

For ladies with sore nipples: I had really bad blisters day one of bf due to poor latch, but I started lathering them with just plain coconut oil and my blisters and scabs have completely gone away! I am 7 days pp btw. 
    [Deleted User]sboston06holly142
  • @schaze I also made the hole the same size as the small part of the flange - I literally traced around it.

@arhodes6 love it! I will occasionally have to unhook the tubes while pumping to help DH with the particularly messy poopy diapers and I feel very Madonna-esque whilst sloshing around.
    holly142arhodes6[Deleted User]
  • My LO spits out mouthfuls of milk when head eating. It's not spit up, he just holds it in his mouth then let's it out once or twice during a feeding. Ds did not do this and I've been googling and I can't find anything about this! Any ideas? 
  • @foxa319 is head eating a typo? If you're breastfeeding, could your let down be fast or powerful so he can't swallow fast enough?  I think I've heard of babies who will unlatch in that case, but maybe your LO stays latched but can't swallow fast enough and then spits it out?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • @foxa319 Do you think he's just comfort nursing and hasn't fine tuned it yet? Is he sleepy when it happens? E has done this at the end of a feed and the milk just pours out of his mouth when he unlatches. I could tell he wasn't actively eating/swallowing but wasnt sure what was up. He's gotten better at it recently and the nursing feels different when he just wants comfort. 
  • This may be a stupid question but how can I tell if R has emptied a breast? I've just been letting him nurse on one boob until he falls asleep and pops off. And then the next session I do the same with the other boob. And does everyone feel when "let down" happens? I don't feel anything different happening. 
  • ^^^ same question. I'm really curious how to know if E is getting the hind milk on both sides when she eats. 

@Racso12 my boobs tingle a bit, but I don't feel it every time. I tend to feel it when E isn't even eating, usually when she's crying and needs to be fed, or I'm pumping. 
  • @megstervt yes typo! *he is eating. Yes I'm breastfeeding, I was thinking fast let also would be the cause! I'll do some more research. 

@theshannondee yes def some comfort nursing going on but sometimes it happens when he's actively eating. He's a pretty good nurser with a good latch. We go for his one month appt next week and I'll have to ask them! 
  • holly142holly142 member
    edited July 2016
    @Racso12-  I read on KellyMom.com to offer one breast until baby stops actively sucking and then offer the second breast. Your breast is continually making milk so is never truly empty. DD doesn't usually eat anything on the second breast. 

With DD, I never really felt "let down". Except sometimes while nursing I would suddenly feel really tired which I read was the let down. 

Edited because I hit enter instead of backspace. 
  • @foxa319 I thought maybe head eating was some fancy new thing I hadn't heard about LOL!  Not sure if you're on Facebook but I'm in a pretty good breastfeeding group that may be a good place to ask if you can't find any more info or others here don't have a suggestion!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
    foxa319
  • @holly142 that's interesting about being suddenly tired. That happens to me a lot when I'm nursing where I just get overwhelmingly sleepy and I was curious what that was all about. 
    holly142jjtruffleskburg15
  • When I was admitted during labor they asked me if I was going to do breast or bottle and I said both. Since I've been here we've only done breast. I can tell he isn't getting enough. We are both frustrated and he is getting kind of jaundice. I'm sore and tired so late last night after a lot of crying I asked for a bottle. They brought us some but I feel like they are disappointed or judging me. I'm just ready to go home 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    afaddis89thepen15ismightyaustinjlsimplymizzj
  • @Racso12 When I let down, it feels like someone is squeezing my entire areola from the inside. It tingles and feels like a lot of pressure. It only happens a few times a day though, not every time. 
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • When I was admitted during labor they asked me if I was going to do breast or bottle and I said both. Since I've been here we've only done breast. I can tell he isn't getting enough. We are both frustrated and he is getting kind of jaundice. I'm sore and tired so late last night after a lot of crying I asked for a bottle. They brought us some but I feel like they are disappointed or judging me. I'm just ready to go home 
    I am on the same boat. I have clearly told the nurses that I intend to mainly try to breastfeed and pump but that I also have no problems supplementing with formula as well if my colostrum is not enough. So far, it's been all breastfeeding and I have yet to see them give me a bottle, even to have as backup, even though I've asked. Its a bit frustrating to say the least because after my bad experience with breastfeeding the first time around with my first DD, I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake again with this one.
    allthingscozy
  • I need some outside perspective. Elliott has been BF the majority of the time (with a nipple shield). We have introduced a bottle for one daily feeding to ensure he's comfy with that too due to necessity. For the past few days E has seemed to dislike the boob a lot of the feedings and cries and arches and waves around and stiffens his body like he's gassy. He never has his issue with the bottle. I really don't think it's an issue of over/under supply on my part, actual gas, an allergy or anything like that...He just seems to prefer the bottle. Feeding has become difficult because he seems so unhappy and cannot be soothed easily. Anyone experience something similar? Any thoughts? Is it bad if we offer the boob and if he freaks out just remedy immediately with a bottle? I don't know what to think...
  • @theshannondee I had the same thing happen with my LO. He was jaundice so we were supplementing with a bottle after every feeding. He started to get lazy and not want to work as hard to get milk from the boob knowing he could have a bottle instead. I was really worried but the nurses told me to keep working at it and he would eventually take the boob again. They told me that as long as I was presistant that he would not have a choice. It was hard to over come and we still kind of have issues at the beginning of each feeding, but he now feeds like a champ. I hope this helps! Good luck! 
    LDSJM123allthingscozy
  • arhodes6 said:
    @theshannondee I had the same thing happen with my LO. He was jaundice so we were supplementing with a bottle after every feeding. He started to get lazy and not want to work as hard to get milk from the boob knowing he could have a bottle instead. I was really worried but the nurses told me to keep working at it and he would eventually take the boob again. They told me that as long as I was presistant that he would not have a choice. It was hard to over come and we still kind of have issues at the beginning of each feeding, but he now feeds like a champ. I hope this helps! Good luck! 
    I was going to say something along the same lines. It's tricky introducing bottle and keeping them from getting lazy at the breast. Do you have the slowest flow nipple possible on the bottle? I'll find an article and post it for you, it explains how to bottle feed to replicate baby nursing at the breast. As stated bottles are a lot easier to eat from. Breastfeeding is difficult for everyone, mom and baby. Just keep with it, he'll eventually learn and get the hang of it. 
  • @theshannondee that's right, the nurses did provide us with slow flow nipples to make the bottle more difficult and it did make a difference for us. @LDSJM123 that paced bottle feeding looks super helpful. Thanks for adding that! 
    LDSJM123