January 2017 Moms
Options

Names?

Re: Names?

• Options
    @streulim I love the name Eloise. Dd1 is Elsie, and she constantly gets called Elise and Eloise 
  • Options
    AmyKDuffyAmyKDuffy member
    edited July 2016
    Me: 34, DH: 33 // Met: 10.21.2007 // Married: 9.18.2015
    BFP: 4.29.2016 // EDD: 1.2.2017 (IT'S A BOY!) Born 12/26/16
    BFP: 2.10.19 // and MC on 3.19.19
    BFP: 7.9.19 // EDD 3.16.20

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is anyone else's name list out-of-control huge? Our boy names list is 35-deep. Granted, some of them I know there's no way we're going to go with but I feel like the "we really like this name" section has about 10 names at the moment.

Also, how close do you have to be to someone else using a name before it's weird to also use that name? A girl I was friends with in high school, who I'm still FB friends with, is having a son named Magnus and he's due in a few weeks... and Magnus is one of my top names. We don't even live in the same town but part of me thinks if we use that name, she's going to assume we stole it from her since it's a fairly unique name outside of Scandinavian countries.
  • Options
    @canavara someone my husband was friends with in high school and roommates in college used the same name as us for their daughter. We aren't close with them now. But I thought it was really kind of them to send us an email explaining that they have loved that name for a long time and are considering it for their daughter. They weren't asking our permission, just explaining their reasoning behind wanting that name and letting us know that they weren't stealing it. Something to consider?
  • Options
    @canavara we have 2 Josies in one of our groups of friends. We all see each other once a monthish but I'm closer with each mom than they are to each other. The Josies are 5 years apart, one is short for Josephine, the other is usually called Jo/Jojo, they live 20+ minutes apart so won't ever go to school together, it's not weird for our group at all. Someone you never see IRL? I wouldn't think twice
  • Options
    I would just send a congrats post on a picture they posted of the new baby. Talk about how cute the baby is, how much you love the name and how it's on your shortlist for your own LO. I think that would be plenty. 
  • Options
    We have decided on "Bear" for our second son's name. Our first son is Hunter we think it goes nicely. It's not everyone's taste but we love it. It's the first name I threw out there and we couldn't top it. So excited!
  • Options
    I think we're just going to leave a quick comment on the birth announcement whenever she posts it just saying "love the name, we've been entertaining it for our LO" or something similar. After everyone's comments, I'm realizing it's kind of ridiculous to be too sensitive to it--we live over 1,000 miles away from each other and I seriously have not seen her since my senior year of high school, so yeah, like 15 years almost haha.

@kaytastic25 That's a really awesome name!
  • Options
  • Options
    You guys are so ahead of the game, we haven't talked about names at all!  A few years ago we had a google spreadsheet of names we liked, I gotta resurrect that thing...
  • Options
    JessLeonard23JessLeonard23 member
    edited August 2016
    I've wanted to name my son, if I ever had one, Oliver for about 12 years now. My name is Jessica, and as a late-eighties baby I grew up SURROUNDED by other Jessicas. I couldn't even go by my initials, because I went to school with multiple other Jessica Nic(h)oles, some of whom even had last names that started with the same letter of the alphabet. So, teachers and friends always called all the Jessicas by their last names, and I really grew to resent it. Oliver is REALLY working its way up the most popular list for 2016, so now I'm torn between a name I've always loved, and having my son go through the same thing I went through. Not that it's like....a super traumatizing thing, just annoying and sort of...belittling in a way? Anyway, aside from Oliver my husband and I are really fond of Ranger for a boy. My MIL's maiden name is Moon, so Ranger/Oliver Moon is a definite possibility. Some other names we've thrown around are Arlo and Henry. I, personally, like Abernathy and Abner as well, but DH has vetoed those.

For girls, we fall into the same camp as a lot of you guys - the old names are really making a comeback! We both love Louise (almost exclusively due to Bob's Burgers), and I'm obsessed with the name Lorelai. DH thinks it's too much with our last name starting with 'L', but I think it's cute....and Lorelai Gilmore is my hero. We also love Elliott and Milo, but for girls. Astrid and Florence are both possibilities as well.

2 more weeks until our next scan - super duper excited to be able to narrow this list down!!!! 
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Met 11/1/2013
    Engaged 10/14/2014
    Married 10/14/2015
    BFP 04/24/2016, EDD 1/4/2017
  • Options
    BumpingUpto3BumpingUpto3 member
    edited August 2016
    JessLeonard23 - I think Ranger is really cute, and haven't heard that before! I think Oliver is becoming more popular, but between my 2 and 4 yr old in daycare/Pre-K, don't know any Olivers. So perhaps is a geographical thing? 
  • Options
    Twin girls- Maren and Ellis

Any thoughts? Maren is the name I've hung on to for years, Ellis I'm not as thrilled with but H loves it so I'm trying to remember that I don't get to pick everything lol
    Love, love, love!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Options
    @TinaBelcher I love the meaning of both of your choices.  And I like that they complement each other yet are not matchy matchy. 
  • Options
    newyearsbaby5newyearsbaby5 member
    edited August 2016
    ThePax89 said:
    Now that we know we are having a girl, we are loving the name Olive. We would call her Ollie. 
    Now that we know we are having a boy, we love the name Oliver and plan to call him Oli! 
  • Options
    @TinaBelcher I really love the name Maren! Ellis makes me think of Grey's Anatomy but I love that show! I do think that both parents should really like the name and if you don't like it then it should be off the list. There are so many names out there that you two are likely to find names that you both love.

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We have decided on "Bear" for our second son's name. Our first son is Hunter we think it goes nicely. It's not everyone's taste but we love it. It's the first name I threw out there and we couldn't top it. So excited!
    Love Bear! That name has tempted us quite a bit. 
  • Options
    Now that we know we're having a boy, Ellis is out for our girl! I'm obsessed with Grayson Wilder and so was my husband Saturday night and now he's not sure. All of a sudden he's become very stressed about the idea about choosing a name for a person for the rest of their lives haha so we'll see if/when he comes around. If not, back to the drawing board!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    stumptownmamastumptownmama member
    edited August 2016
    the bump double posted. Nothing to see here!
  • Options
    AriB08AriB08 member
    edited August 2016
    Edited because this was supposed to be a reply to someone and turned into a whole separate post :(

Our boy's name is settled: Rhett Lyle (Lyle is a family name of my husband's)

For a girl: We are very much struggling! My personal favorites that hubby hates are Magnolia and Olive. I LOVE them. But since DH does not, my sister saved the day by saying she always pictured my baby girl named Rosie. So now we are playing with variations of Rose, we both agree on Rosalie or Primrose (nn Rosie) Anneliese (my oma's name, which has been settled since day one.)

@canavara Your list of girls' names is similar to mine. Clementine is a fave, my furbaby already has this name and I sing "Oh my darlin Clementine" to her all the time! Lol! 

@gonetothesea I will live vicariously through you if you use Magnolia. It's so beautiful.

@ThePax89 Same as above if you get to go with Olive <3

@Kellybean I surely thought I'd be the only person considering Primrose. I have never seen the Hunger Games so maybe I missed it was sneaking into mainstream again. Either way, it's lovely. We both may have Rosies' on our hands. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Okay girls I need you to give it to me straight. I had decided on June but now I'm waffling. H is set on it and I was but now I'm thinking there could be too much confusion or mix ups with it also being a month. Like what if she wants to get married in June - "June and _____ get married in June". Am I overthinking?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @adorebella I have always loved the name June, and honestly had never considered the issue you pointed out. I really don't think you should worry about it, though June also makes an adorable middle name if you feel like you can't get past it. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Okay girls I need you to give it to me straight. I had decided on June but now I'm waffling. H is set on it and I was but now I'm thinking there could be too much confusion or mix ups with it also being a month. Like what if she wants to get married in June - "June and _____ get married in June". Am I overthinking?
    I think you are overthinking! I love the name June and will likely use it as a middle name if we don't go with Juniper for a first (junie for short). I don't think people will get confused with the month. I have a good friend named April and I separate it from the month April- just take up different spaces in my brain. Now I kinda think it would be odd to name your child June of they were born in June, same with April and May. 
  • Options
    It's not my style, and wouldn't be my choice, but I don't think it causes mix ups. I know a January, a June, and an April. I've never heard them complain about that. 
  • Options
    Pretty sure I commented on this before but no idea what I said. I like seeing some of the traditional names @scgirl6113 like Peter and Thomas. They help to inspire me if we need a boys name. My son is Samuel James. I want to stick to traditional for this one and we really struggled with a boys name we liked. Unfortunately we both have a lot of cousins that seem to have a lot of the names we like and I really want to stay away from duplicating family names like that. I am about as clueless on girls names so at this point I really just don't know what we are going to do. I love the name Margaret but we know the middle name (boy or girl) will be Michael. I like Margaret Michael but our last name starts with M too and I feel like it may be a bit of a mouth full. For a nick name I'm leaning toward Greta instead of Maggie but we'll see. I'm sure my husband will have some opinions on it and we don't start talking about it until we know what we have to decide on :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @carly79 I like traditional too, but for boys, they all seem terribly popular. James, Alexander, etc. Having a really hard time finding something I like that also isn't very common. Someone else was mentioning how they have a very popular 80s name and that's how my name is too. I don't want to do that to my kid. It was very annoying being one of at least 3 girls with the same name in every single class growing up. 
  • Options
    adorebellaadorebella member
    edited August 2016
    @LoneStar21416 This may just be my total assumption but I feel like we use more of a variety of names now so even popular names you don't see day to day very often (where it seems like in the 80s every 5th person was Jessica). I know A LOT of kids (last BMB, Owen's friends, his preschool, family, friends, etc) and I still don't know a single Ava, Isabella, Sophia, Emma...

@underthesea OMG I had never considered Juniper and I kind of love it. Hold for H's reaction when I mention it to him later.
    UPDATE: "OMG NO! Absolutely not! And you're just kidding right?" So there's that  :D

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    H has nixed Maude and Margaux so I'm really going to need someone to take one for the team and use these names for your girls. K thx. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @adorebella - I don't think June would be confusing at all!  My middle name is June, and I was born in June, so I do occasionally get the question of whether my middle name is June because of my birth month, but I never was annoyed by it (and no, my birth month had very little to do with my naming - my dad's godmother was June, so that's where it came from)!

BFP: 1/31/15; MMC: 3/31/15
    BFP: 4/26/16; Baby Girl Born: 1/3/17
    BFP: 10/1/21; EDD: 6/10/22
  • Options
    AriB08 said:
    Edited because this was supposed to be a reply to someone and turned into a whole separate post :(

Our boy's name is settled: Rhett Lyle (Lyle is a family name of my husband's)

For a girl: We are very much struggling! My personal favorites that hubby hates are Magnolia and Olive. I LOVE them. But since DH does not, my sister saved the day by saying she always pictured my baby girl named Rosie. So now we are playing with variations of Rose, we both agree on Rosalie or Primrose (nn Rosie) Anneliese (my oma's name, which has been settled since day one.)

@canavara Your list of girls' names is similar to mine. Clementine is a fave, my furbaby already has this name and I sing "Oh my darlin Clementine" to her all the time! Lol! 

@gonetothesea I will live vicariously through you if you use Magnolia. It's so beautiful.

@ThePax89 Same as above if you get to go with Olive <3

@Kellybean I surely thought I'd be the only person considering Primrose. I have never seen the Hunger Games so maybe I missed it was sneaking into mainstream again. Either way, it's lovely. We both may have Rosies' on our hands. 

Love Rosalie. 
  • Options
    @adorebella June is a beautiful name and I think you are over thinking it a bit!

our first two have traditional first names (as I have mentioned) and interesting middle names. We have decided on Finn for this baby with a traditional middle name (David) and I'm hoping he doesn't seem like the odd ball but we fell in love with this name and decided to go for it! 

We we are not having a girl but would have called her Adeline Joy (double first name with nn Addie Joy) middle name would have been more traditional: Alice. I still hope that one day we will get to use it because I think it's beautiful! 
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    I love love LOVE the name June for a girl, but I don't wanna use it since it's also my Aunts name... :\
    Me: 27 | Husband: 30
    Met: September 13, 2008
    Married: September 13, 2016
    Surprise BFP 05/20/16 - EDD 1/31/16

• Options
    Hi all!

DH and I are struggling with names. He has been stuck on the name Ember Rain for years for our girl (Our names combined makes Rain [Rae and Alain]) and I liked it for awhile but my grandmother passed away this year before I got pregnant and I wanted to honor her, but I have no idea what name to use with Modesta. We are considering Modesta Aria. 

For boys, I know I want to use Jude. I love The Beatles and when DH traveled to Seattle while we were still dating, he brought me back a music box with the song "Hey Jude". We're struggling to decide on the 2nd name (Filipinos usually use the Mother's maiden name as the middle, so we tend to have 2 first names). My grandmother's maiden name is Guillermo and MIL's maiden name is Lorenzo and I was playing with the idea of Jude Lorenzo or Jude Lorenzo Guillermo (so long though!). Jude Guillermo does not really flow... :\ 

I also used to be obsessed with Greek mythology when I was younger, so a lot of the things I owned (laptops, cars, stuffed animals etc) would have Greek names, but DH thinks they can be a little too much... I've actually told him that I don't mind having a huge family because that means I can use all the names I like :lol:
    Me: 27 | Husband: 30
    Met: September 13, 2008
    Married: September 13, 2016
    Surprise BFP 05/20/16 - EDD 1/31/16

• Options
    @raeishavingababy I love the name Aria, I know it is super trendy right now but I don't care I love it anyway! If I have a girl that will be here name for sure!! 

I have 4 boys already so coming up with another boys name has been Extremely difficult. I like Paxton and Julian my DH likes Tristan. I am not completely in love with the name Tristan yet. Thank God for 22 more weeks to decide
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the positive feedback! It's helping me feel secure again in this choice. Naming humans is hard.

@raeishavingababy I really like Jude Lorenzo.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have a middle name. Baby girl #2 is Olive Scout (nn Ollie). I won a big argument in getting the name Scout in there, but I wasn't taking no for an answer.