January 2017 Moms
Options

Names?

Re: Names?

• Options
    elvinnoeelvinnoe member
    edited July 2016
    DD1 is Ivy and DD2's middle name is Fern, both family names, so we accidentally started a little nature theme but we love it! 

This kiddo is a boy, we've decided on the name Everest but can't agree on a mn. So far DH has added Hudson to the list and I added Thatcher. We don't love either of them though, so it's going to be a long 5 months.

eta: grammar issues...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LJ623LJ623 member
    DH & I have discussed baby names for years...and we're pretty set on our name choices (although we do want to have a back-up in case we change our mind after LO is born!).

For our girl's name, we have Jocelyn Penelope; and for a boy, Seamus James.

The back-up name for a boy is Sean Harrison, but we're still not 100% in agreement for a girl....the middle name is definitely Penelope (family name with a lot of meaning to me)...but DH really likes Amelia, and while I like the name, I have an Aunt Amy (not Amelia, just Amy) and I'm not sure if it is too close...plus I know I don't want to use Amy as a nickname...so we're still undecided there....

BFP: 1/31/15; MMC: 3/31/15
    BFP: 4/26/16; Baby Girl Born: 1/3/17
    BFP: 10/1/21; EDD: 6/10/22
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @scgirl6113 what are your sons' names? If you feel like sharing. Maybe you'll inspire me :)
  • Options
    Vivi20Vivi20 member
    I want to know your ladies' honest opinions. 
    Helena.
    Do you like this name? How would you pronounce it? Helen-uh, Heh-lay-nuh, or Heh-leen-uh?
    I really love this name. I like the Helen-uh and Heh-leen-uh pronunciations. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • Options
    I like that it's not popular but similar to other classic names like Eleanor  - I would probably go with Helen-uh. 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Options
    @scgirl6113 what are your sons' names? If you feel like sharing. Maybe you'll inspire me :)
    They are super traditional: Peter and Thomas 
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    Vivi20Vivi20 member
    @scgirl6113 Those are great names. I love traditional names.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • Options
    KRB22KRB22 member
    @jlea05 I like it. I also love Helen / Helene. 

I think my default pronunciation would be Heh-lay-nuh, but I actually think Heh-lee-nuh is prettier. Also reminds me of the town in CA. 

Whichever pronunciation you use, some people will likely mispronounce it off the bat, but it's a pretty easy one to correct. 
  • Options
    @jlea05 I like Helena!! A good friend of mine has that as a mn.  It's classic but not a super popular name. I would pronounce it helen-uh, like Helena Bonham Carter.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LJ623 said:
    DH & I have discussed baby names for years...and we're pretty set on our name choices (although we do want to have a back-up in case we change our mind after LO is born!).

For our girl's name, we have Jocelyn Penelope; and for a boy, Seamus James.

The back-up name for a boy is Sean Harrison, but we're still not 100% in agreement for a girl....the middle name is definitely Penelope (family name with a lot of meaning to me)...but DH really likes Amelia, and while I like the name, I have an Aunt Amy (not Amelia, just Amy) and I'm not sure if it is too close...plus I know I don't want to use Amy as a nickname...so we're still undecided there....
    you could go with Emelia, nicknames, Em or Emmy
  • Options
    @jlea05 I like Hel-eee-nuh
    pretty!
  • Options
    @lj623 my name is Amy and I don't think Amelia is too close to it. If my sister named her daughter Amelia, I wouldn't even think that she named her after me or anything like that. Like a pp poster said you could go with Emilia- the Spanish version. My good friend chose this for her girl. They call her Emi for short. Millie is cute too. 
  • Options
    @scgirl6113 those are definitely our style of names. We can't do Peter for a personal reason, but I did mention Thomas the other night to H. Nice choices :)
  • Options
    LJ623LJ623 member
    @EH112212 & @underthesea - thanks so much for your input!  I do like Emilia...but not sure how DH would take it...he really likes the name Amelia because of Doctor Who, LOL - definitely something worth discussing with him though!

BFP: 1/31/15; MMC: 3/31/15
    BFP: 4/26/16; Baby Girl Born: 1/3/17
    BFP: 10/1/21; EDD: 6/10/22
  • Options
    @LJ623 I love the name Amelia! Unfortunately for me, hubby's not a fan. You could also use Lia as a nickname. 
  • Options
    @TinaBelcher I love Alton and Silas only issue is I know 2 people who have named their boys Silas in the last 4 months and hubby nixed Alton--I think he thinks of Alton Brown from the food network! :)- So far I like Ethan, Evan and my top favorite right now is Carson. The middle name will be Andrew after my brother so having a first name that goes with his middle and is easy to say is somewhat difficult I'm finding. When I asked hubby about Carson he goes, as in Daly? Lol we both started laughing but it's the first one he hasn't turned his nose up when I've said it.

I know one thing, like other ladies have stated I'm not sharing the name until he's born. My friend gave everyone three possible names and said they'd decide when he was born. She told me they knew his name all along but didn't want people's opinions effecting their choice. I kinda like that route! 
  • Options
    I like that it's not popular but similar to other classic names like Eleanor  - I would probably go with Helen-uh. 
    We are team green and are choosing Eleanor (Ellen-nor) for our girl and Jacob (Jack) for our boy
  • Options
    I love the name Atticus. I'm team green like last time around. We had a girl, so I didn't get to use my boy name, but h was never sold on it. People either love or hate it. I still love it. I think people either think spartan, or To Kill a Mocking Bird. 

I'm having a much harder time picking a girl's name this time. I'm thinking Violet a lot for some reason but still searching. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    rdh33rdh33 member
    We have Winston Michael for a boy, and Ruby for a girl. (No middle name yet for Ruby -- maybe Rae. Although, my name is Rachael and that totally seems like I'm naming her after myself! Not true, it's just so few things go with Ruby, I think. We've also considered Mae, but I don't love it.) But, that being said, we're not deciding on anything for sure until we meet this little one. 

I love the names Tess, Stella, and Susannah for girls. My H had a fairly serious relationship with a Tess though, so that's out. 
  • Options
    @MrsRahl I love the name Atticus! TKAMB is DH's favorite book, so I was pitching names from the novel. I said I would be very firm with no nicknames though and he told me I was crazy. Um... my mom did it with me and I don't have a single nickname. It can happen. 

My biggest struggle right now is that DH always said he never wanted a third (he's a junior), but then we got pregnant and suddenly he wants a third. We've basically stopped the name conversation until we find out the gender. I feel it's a boy though so this could end up being a fight for the next 24(ish) weeks. 

For girls names, we've agreed on either Peyton or Michaela. 
  • Options
    spano41spano41 member
    edited July 2016
    So I will preface this by saying I really hate picking out names and always think people are judging me.  I've read through the thread and you guys all have great ideas, while I feel like everything I pick sounds stupid!  I thought maybe you could help!

So we found out we're having a boy.  My granddad died the week LO was conceived so we thought it would be a nice memorial to him to use one of his names as LOs middle name.  So it would be either Carl or Eugene.  As far as first names, we prefer popular names with common spellings (DDs name is Emma Rose).  We were thinking either Jackson or Aiden.  Our last name starts with W and is very long....let's just say it's Weatherspoon which isn't it exactly, but close.  What combo would you use?  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cjs260cjs260 member
    Exactly what @ceclarlinetlo said. I think that's a lovely name. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Options
    edited July 2016
    For a girl, I like my grandma's name Grace Helen, or maybe switch it up and name her Grace Charlotte or Charlotte Grace. For a boy I love the name Philip Carter (first name after my Grandpa), or Carter Philip. I also like Jackson Avery, Miles, Elliott, Alexander, Calvin, Oliver, and so many other boys names. I can't really think of many girls names, though. Guess I am pretty much  sold on naming her after my MawMaw :smile:
       My husband and I can hardly agree on names. All of his sisters have used his family names, just wondering why we can't name our children after my family's names. He likes Miles, Elliott, and Oliver, though. I just would hate the knickname Ollie.
  • Options
    sagoonsagoon member
    Thank god we are having a girl, we were having so much trouble thinking of boy names.  Right now the top of my list is Beatrice (or Beatrix?), Margot, Rosemary, Iris, Eloise, Ruby, and Lark.  My husband is not taking the name thing seriously yet and says he wants to name her Aria Khaleesi.  :p

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cjs260cjs260 member
    @sagoon I'm with your H on this one. GOT FTW! ;);) 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Options
    Michael Thomas for a boy

Evelyn with a TBD middle name. Thomas is DHs middle name, and my middle name is Sarah, but I don't think Evelyn Sarah flows as well. We will keep thinking. 
  • Options
    rdh33 said:
    We have Winston Michael for a boy, and Ruby for a girl. (No middle name yet for Ruby -- maybe Rae. Although, my name is Rachael and that totally seems like I'm naming her after myself! Not true, it's just so few things go with Ruby, I think. We've also considered Mae, but I don't love it.) But, that being said, we're not deciding on anything for sure until we meet this little one. 

I love the names Tess, Stella, and Susannah for girls. My H had a fairly serious relationship with a Tess though, so that's out. 
    Ruby Rae is so cute!!! Alliterative names are delightful!
  • Options
    I've been liking Orion for a boy - DH didn't love it at first but also hasn't dismissed it, but we hadn't come across a girl name after I vetoed DH's choice Tika. DH came up with Twyla or Twilla yesterday and I think I like it. No middles yet...
  • Options
    KRB22KRB22 member
    For a girl, I like my grandma's name Grace Helen, or maybe switch it up and name her Grace Charlotte or Charlotte Grace. For a boy I love the name Philip Carter (first name after my Grandpa), or Carter Philip. I also like Jackson Avery, Miles, Elliott, Alexander, Calvin, Oliver, and so many other boys names. I can't really think of many girls names, though. Guess I am pretty much  sold on naming her after my MawMaw :smile:
       My husband and I can hardly agree on names. All of his sisters have used his family names, just wondering why we can't name our children after my family's names. He likes Miles, Elliott, and Oliver, though. I just would hate the knickname Ollie.
    I love Grace Helen, or even Helen Grace. My grandmother was Grace Mary and my parents flipped that around for my little sister. 

I think you have some great options for boys names too (I'm partial to the family names). Does your DH have any alternative suggestions?
  • Options
    Baby will be either June Kelly or Henry Thomas. Kelly is my maiden name that I changed to be my middle name after marriage and Thomas is H's first name. Owen got his middle name, James.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    stumptownmamastumptownmama member
    edited August 2016
    We are all over the place with boy names. But for girls we like Cecilia, Eliza, Finley and Cora. For middle names we like Kate (sisters name) or June. People say we need to choose another A name since DH, DD and I all have an A name. But I don't really want to. We didn't intentionally choose an A name for our daughter. We just loved the name. 
  • Options
    @underthesea all of your name choices are beautiful :)
  • Options
    KRB22KRB22 member
    I'm pretty sure we won't fully commit to a name until the baby is born, especially since we're team green. 

If it's a boy, there's probably a 90% chance it will be John, possibly nn Jack. The middle name will be after my father or FIL. 

For girls, my husband and I both like really Irish/Gaelic names, but are conscious that some are really tough to spell/pronounce. We both have the same favorite - Niamh (pronounced Neev), but go back and forth about whether to use the traditional spelling, an anglicized version, eg, Neave, or just skip it altogether. Other options are Mairead, Ailish, Aileen. The mn will either be my maiden name or some other family name from my side. 
  • Options
    We found out today it is a little girl. We have decided on Scarlett Jordyn for now but I would like to have a back up name. 
  • Options
    Everyone has such great well thought out names! My husband and I have decided to not even discuss it till we find out gender at the 20 week scan. Five weeks feels so far away!!! 

Though if it's a girl I'll push for Lydia Cecile. I've always liked the name Lydia and my mom recently passed away and Cecile was her middle name. For boys I expect it'll be a lot more of a challenge especially as I know my husband doesn't like my fave Hadrian... 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sagoon said:
    Thank god we are having a girl, we were having so much trouble thinking of boy names.  Right now the top of my list is Beatrice (or Beatrix?), Margot, Rosemary, Iris, Eloise, Ruby, and Lark.  My husband is not taking the name thing seriously yet and says he wants to name her Aria Khaleesi.  :p
    My 2nd cousins's name is Khaleesi :open_mouth:
  • Options
    sagoonsagoon member
    @christac1010 most thirds I know seem to go by Trey (or, Tre).

@TinaBelcher  does she predate Game of Thrones or are her parents fans?

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker