October 2018 Moms
Options

Gestational diabetes mamas

Re: Gestational diabetes mamas

• Options
    I'm so frustrated. Dinner tonight was perfect. An hour later, 66. And that was with the new reduced dose of insulin. I'm just going to have to be diligent with my testing and making sure I have snacks with me at all times, and call my nurse if it doesn't get better in a day or two. I see her again Monday. 
  • Options
    Finally got to meet with m midwife and she is ok with the numbers, wants me to exercise and spot check my numbers after my biggest meal and fasting occasionally. Super happy! Now I just need to exercise! FX for all of you dealing with insulin! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @SweetSweetTooth I'm glad she's happy with your #s! With as active as you are for work, I'm kind of surprised she wants more exercise, but it's probably for the best. 
  • Options
    @SweetSweetTooth that's great news! What kind of exercise will you do? I'm so bored at the gym, I can't wait for it to cool down.  
  • Options
    Good news! 
  • Options
    @sammierose464 I am only moving loading up the car and setting up. I sit around and do paper work most days lol
    @beverlystevens we have a recumbent bike and that has worked ok so far the one day I did it. We also have a elliptical that they said I can do just start slow/short sessions and see how it goes. They want me doing 30 mins a day. 
  • Options
    Okay so I got my official GD diagnosis yesterday and I've been put on insulin because my numbers were really high (I was checking my blood sugar 4x a day for the past week and a half). I haven't talked to the nutritionist yet but my main issues are fasting and breakfast so I was just wondering if anyone had any breakfast/snack suggestions because I'm hoping I can at least decrease the amount of insulin I need through diet changes.  Also, I know some suggestions have already been made so I'm going to go back to the beginning of the thread to find them.
  • Options
    I have low carb sprouted wheat toast (no sugar or flour added) with peanut butter (read labels and grab pb with no added sugars). I make sure to walk for 10-15 at least half an hour after eating and my numbers are good. I'll be starting insulin too though because I can't control my fasting numbers. The doctor said once I start insulin at night it will help with the breakfast numbers as well.
  • Options
    @acdc1109 I do a bacon and egg burrito wrapped in a low carb tortilla. If I’m still hungry, I eat the bacon and egg in a scramble. 
  • Options
    @jweber4747 and @mommy2ane Those are great suggestions, thanks! I'm still trying to adjust to the idea that I need to keep track of everything all the time now but this thread has been so helpful!
  • Options
    How is everyone doing with levels and management this week? Any new things you've learned that have been helpful in testing, diet, exercise, or other?
    I recently started a fiber supplement at my dietitian's recommendation at nighttime which has helped sustain my bedtime snack to the morning (among other things I need it for). My doctor also gave me an OTC sleep aid, which has helped my body to rest at night (I guess only sleeping lightly for a few hours consistently can really raise the body's stress and sugar levels - this was news to me).  Learning so much! 
  • Options
    I've been doing really well, except for just a couple times where I was testing something out or lost a bit of will power. Still learning how it's all working. But I definitely know what works for me if I'm really strict, I just want to keep adding to it since I have a bit of wiggle room. 

Yesterday we had family over, so it was so hectic. It ruined my normal routine, so I didn't end up testing except for my fasting and breakfast #s. I just wrote down what I ate, which I didn't go too overboard anyway. 

I'm anxious for my growth scan on Wednesday. My doc didn't mention yet about if they'll want to induce by a certain date or change plan of care or anything. I'm sure they're waiting on the growth scan. It's been 12 weeks since AS, so I'm anxious to see her and make sure everything is looking good. 

I thought I'd been doing this for 3 weeks, but it's only been 2! :s  This is what is going to make the last few weeks seem looooong. Already thinking about stuff I want to eat again when I can.
  • Options
    That's interesting about the sleep, I wake up often to toss and turn and my fasting numbers are always too high. I'm awaiting a call back from the endocrinologist to discuss medication options. I haven't seen my on ob since the diagnosis so I'm interested to see if they'll plan another ultrasound and discuss possible changes in my care\delivery.

I do feel much skinnier in the arms, legs, and face since I've been eating nothing but lettuce, down 5 pounds, so there's a plus side to it all!
  • Options
    My fasting numbers are still out of whack. My MFM will adjust my insulin and I'm good for like 3 days and then I'm right back up over 100. Its really frustrating because I dont know how to fix it. 
  • Options
    I went for a growth scan today and to check to make sure my placenta moved (it did!). Was originally told babay was 85th percentile for size :anguished: after when I saw the midwife the report was updated to 79th percentile. Still eek. Midwife wasn't concerned but the Dr that came in after the ultrasound said it was OK but since I have gestational diabetes they want to see me in four weeks again. Wait what? I wasnt ever diagnosed as having GD! I checked with my midwife and she was confused about it as well and checked my file for any notes and we chatted about my blood sugar and all of that as were concerned for a bit I did have GD. then She went and found the Dr and it was a mistake  Phew! They still want to see me in four week as baby is measuring a little bigger and that works! 
  • Options
    Well my daytime numbers are doing great but my morning fasting is still high despite snacks and eating early. Dr. put me on meds starting yesterday and this morning was my first ever great fasting number. They are going to monitor me very closely now. I have to go every Monday for an ultrasound and followup to make sure things continue to go good. I'm excited to see the babe each week but now worry about how much monitoring it is. I don't see me getting past 38 weeks without an induction at this point. Guess I need to hurry up and finish up work stuff just in case she randomly decides to induce early. We shall see.  

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• Options
    @krgriffin26 what meds did they give you, do you take them at nighttime? are they worried baby's getting too big? I might be in a similar boat as my fasting numbers have been all over the place. 
  • Options
    @beverlystevens I'm on Glyburide 5 mg now and I take one right before bedtime. This morning my sugars were at 68 when they have been over 115 since 28 weeks (probably longer but that's when I started tracking them). My daytime numbers have been great. As long as I skip a lot of carbs and sugars my numbers go down in the 70-90 range after each meal. They are worried about baby getting big later on but also just her general health an mine as well. There are so many things besides size that can be affected. Right now my uterine measurements are right on track so size isn't the immediate concern. 

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• Options
    Wow, your doctors are on it! I told my nurse a week ago that my fasting numbers were always too high and they still haven't even made an appointment for medication. They've said nothing about ultrasounds or inductions. I haven't even seen my ob since my diagnosis. I met with a midwife but she didn't act like it was very concerning as long as I ate healthy. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not, is this no big deal or is it dangerous? I'm starting to feel frustrated with my providers after hearing how thorough yours are. 
  • Options
    @jweber4747 it is so interesting how things are done so differently. I’m not allowed to see anyone other than an MD because of the diabetes. And then I meet with my counselors once every two weeks to go over numbers. I’m being monitored so closely, it’s starting to feel like some appointments are redundant. When was the last time you saw your OB?
  • Options
    @jweber4747 it really is different everywhere! I see my counselor every other week and my OB every other week, so I have one appointment a week is what it comes down to. 
  • Options
    I had my growth scan today at 32 weeks (tomorrow). And babe is actually measuring really small, like 15th percentile. I think they said she's at like 3 lbs 11 oz now. They said that's totally fine and normal. And we'll do another growth scan at 36 weeks. As long as she doesn't drop below 5th percentile, it's fine. I'll just have a little one, and doc said "not all babies are big." I'm a small person and my husband is pretty scrawny also, so it's not too crazy. We're on track to be about 6-6.5 lbs. But otherwise everything looks normal.

She looked over my log and she said I was doing great, and just keep doing what I'm doing. I asked about if they would get her out of there at a certain point. And she said that even though she's not going to be big, they still probably won't let me go past my due date because of other things related to GD, but they'll kind of reassess as we go.
  • Options
    I'll see my ob for the first time since my diagnosis tomorrow. Hopefully she can fill me in on how or if things will change because of my diabetes. Still no word from the endocrinologist about meds despite having high fasting numbers for 2 weeks in a row though. My baby already feels huge, I'm curious to see an ultrasound. But genetically, I'm just going to have a larger baby because my husband and I both have larger\taller people in our families. 
  • Options
    @jweber4747 that's great! fx for a good appointment tomorrow. 
  • Options
    I'll see my ob for the first time since my diagnosis tomorrow. Hopefully she can fill me in on how or if things will change because of my diabetes. Still no word from the endocrinologist about meds despite having high fasting numbers for 2 weeks in a row though. My baby already feels huge, I'm curious to see an ultrasound. But genetically, I'm just going to have a larger baby because my husband and I both have larger\taller people in our families. 
    How long since you were diagnosed/ haven't been seen?  Have you seen the endo in office?  My situation is a little diff bc i am T1D, but my endo was very clear at the beginning of preg that I send numbers every 5 days and if I do not get a call (even to say keep doses the same/ no change) that I should call them.  She is insistant that we be in contact weekly.  So I don't think it could hurt to call the office and ask to speak with them.  Even if they aren't planning to go to meds yet, they are there to answer your questions.  
    Can I ask what your fastings are?  How are your post meals?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I met with a diabetes nurse who showed me how to test my blood and I submit weekly blood sugar logs to her online. After meals is always fine. Fasting numbers are anywhere from 96 to 116. 
  • Options
    Wow, just kidding. The diabetes clinic who I was sending numbers to and who gave the referral to the endocrinologist just sent me a message saying there was an oversight and my insurance doesn't provide me with the option to use them, they were simply there to educate me and my OB should be the one in charge of everything so stop sending them logs. That's great, I haven't even seen my OB since July 2. At least my numbers throughout the day are looking good, these people are useless!
  • Options
    @jweber4747 omg! That's crazy that no one has reached out before now!  

To ease your fears, those fastings are not bad.  They are higher than ideal but not scary high.  In a non-pregnant person they wouldn't even indicate diabetes (over 126).  Your OB should be reviewing those numbers or referring you to an endo or MFM doc for weekly review.  But take comfort knowing they aren't terrible.  Try going for a walk tonight after dinner and see if that lowers your fasting.  It's the only way to really help them and sometimes you just need meds.  You see the OB tomorrow?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll see the ob tomorrow. I always go for a 20 minute walk after dinner, hasn't put my numbers below 95. Its comforting to know those numbers aren't terrible though, this is all new to me!
  • Options
    Let us know how it goes!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jwebbbber45678 I'm having the exact same problem! My fasting numbers are always high (in the same range as yours) and sometimes after breakfast is high too but since I've changed my diet they've been a lot better.  Just as a heads up, I met with my OB last week and she immediately wanted to put me on insulin. I haven't actually started the insulin yet because my insurance is being dumb but I just thought I would warn you that if your fasting numbers are high insulin might be suggested!
  • Options
    Please don’t fear insulin. It is so much easier to control your sugars with insulin than oral meds. Especially if you have consistently high numbers for one meal but not others. Then you’re not medicating all day for one meal. You can also adjust the dose daily based on what you eat. If you need meds at all, insulin shouldn’t be your last resort just because it’s injected over swallowed. Listen to the experts and see what you and your body need in this moment- and remember it ends SOON!
    Yes needles are intimidating but believe me the finger pricks hurt worse. It’s not that bad. You can do it if you need to. I promise. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @MissBridg thanks for that last note! I'm trying to get my fasting numbers down (I've had three in the last week that are 95) and my OB has said that we'll discuss insulin on Monday if that trend continues. I think what's stressing me out is not knowing if I'm capable of the needle. For the first week of finger pricking, my hands were shaking! It's good to know that it doesn't hurt too bad. 
  • Options
    I finally have an appointment with an endocrinologist tomorrow, I'm sure they'll prescribe something. I know it musty be silly for those of you with type 1 and 2 hearing us complaining about doing these things for just 8 weeks. You have to deal with this stuff all the time, I admire your ongoing strength! 
  • Options
    @beverylystevens it's so weird to say, but 99/100 sticks you won't feel at all!  You inject in the belly and it is so rare that it hurts....most of the time you could poke me with your finger on one side and the needle on the other and i wouldnt know which was which.

@jwebbbber45678 it's not silly at all.  It's scary and you're 100% allowed to be nervous about the unknown. I just want to reassure where I can. If I didn't want to participate I'd be off this thread, but I thought about you and your appointment all day!  Just hoping I can impart the teaspoon of knowledge I've gathered this last year to help you guys get through.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @jweber4747 so weird how the numbers are not cut and dry across the board with all Dr's! Mine wants me 95 or below for fasting! Fasting I am always mid 80's so breakfast is my only issue. I love milk and carbs but not adding in enough protein or fiber or something as like today I was 126 an hour after breakfast and they want me 120 or below an hour after a meal.
    I had started working out after breakfast but now I heard to work out before...anyone know? 
  • Options
    I've read the best time to work out is 30 minutes after eating. It makes such a difference for me! The few times I've been over after meals is when I didn't do at least 10-15 minutes of activity. I have been on summer break though, it's going to be hard to do when work starts. I guess I'll just have to run laps around the classroom while I teach! 

My appointment went well. My ob prescribed pills to take in the evening to fix my fasting numbers. I finally scheduled a growth scan for next week. And starting the following week I'll do weekly NST appointments at the hospital ( which I would have to do anyways because I'm advanced maternal age). My doctor said if the blood glucose numbers are good and all others signs point to healthy me and healthy baby there will be no need for an induction, especially since I've already vaginally delivered a ten pound baby without an issue. But we're hoping for slightly smaller this time, I'm on such a strict diet this time and she's a girl so I can't imagine another 10 pounder! But I'll bet she's at least 8, we're just big people.
  • Options
    Hello ladies, I had GD with my last baby (was put on metformin right away) and now iihave it again with this one but no meds yet, so I am pretty much familiar with the process....my daytime numbers are good, but I'm having a hard time with my fasting. My OB wants my fasting to be less than 90 but over the last 2 weeks they have been creeping up on me. I had an ultrasound 2 weeks ago (I was 28 weeks) and he measured 2 weeks ahead...I go back on for my next appointment on Tuesday.... Any advice from anyone?
  • Options
    @jenniferthomas0246
    My fasting numbers were 95-115 depending on the day. I could not get them below 90 at all. Non-GD people should be under 70. My day-time and after meal numbers were perfect. I am on a very low dose of an oral med and my fasting numbers are now in the 60-70 range which is great. Just hang tight and talk to your dr about suggestions. I haven't had an ultrasound measurement done yet but my uterine measurement is still on tract. I start weekly ultrasounds on Monday to track. I am ok with early induction if that means she comes out healthy. I will be 34 weeks on Monday. 

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• Options
    edited August 2018
    @krgriffin26 hmm all the info I have found is under 95 is good. Under 70 isn't good. (for fasting) 
    Edit tag