October 2018 Moms

Gestational diabetes mamas

Apologies if this had already been created (I looked but didn't see!)

Second time mama here, dx with gestational diabetes at about 20 weeks the first time. I'm super needle phobic but I got through it last time. Thankfully my husband was able to administer insulin for me in the last month.
Went to my first prenatal appt on Friday and was surprised they wanted me to sit for my one hour afterwards. I begged to just let me skip it and do the 3hr and they said no. Well no shock I failed with a 157. I have my three hour tomorrow and am expecting a dx again. 

Anyone else dealing with gestational diabetes yet?
How do you manage and what do you find most difficult?

Thanks mamas! I'm also happy to answer questions since I've been through it once. Looking forward to getting and giving support.

Re: Gestational diabetes mamas

• I have my one hour tomorrow and I'm really nervous. I also have to fast for it, so I'm not looking forward to that. 

Any recommendations on the test itself?
  • I haven’t done my 1 hour yet (super procrastinator here), but my hardest thing last time was giving up coffee since I like lattes loaded with carbs. Also the finger pricks, but that got better once I realized I could adjust the needle to not stab so deep. I have a feeling I’ll get diagnosed again this round, I’m just trying to be diligent now with diet.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am going to pass on doing either of the glucose drink tests this time around. I was diagnosed with GD with my first one after failing both tests but I had no problem controlling my levels with diet (like I literally cut sweet tea and was good). I still have a ton of test strips and needles so I am just going to monitor it on my own. 
  • Also, I just wanted to share this post I saw in one of my Facebook groups the other day because I didn't realize I had the choice to refuse it my first pregnancy:

"I read this a few days ago and I am in total and utter shock at how naive I was as a pregnant woman. I never asked a whole lot of questions because I just didn’t know but to think that this is what I was being given... makes me a little ill. So I’m sharing...

• @tabbiekat13 - did your post get cut off?
  • Yes @knottieamusements Thanks for letting me know. Let's see if this works...."I read this a few days ago and I am in total and utter shock at how naive I was as a pregnant woman. I never asked a whole lot of questions because I just didn’t know but to think that this is what I was being given... makes me a little ill. So I’m sharing...

• I read this a few days ago and I am in total and utter shock at how naive I was as a pregnant woman. I never asked a whole lot of questions because I just didn’t know but to think that this is what I was being given... makes me a little ill. So I’m sharing...

• Sometimes the Bump leaves a bit to be desired...
  • I don't know why it is cutting off when I post, it shows fine when I paste and preview it! But here is an article that I found elsewhere that was describing the same information. https://www.mommypotamus.com/natural-alternatives-to-the-gestational-diabetes-test/
  • You can refuse the test or I've seen women take something different to get their sugar up (jelly beans being the most common).

I'm just gonna do the darn thing and hope it goes okay. My levels have all been fine the last few years normally but I've also been on metformin. I was eating pretty well before I got pregnant. The problem now is no desire to cook and limited food desires. I had to basically force myself to eat chicken nuggets tonight.
  • I have my first screen at my next appointment in two weeks. I have not had GB with any of my other pregnancies, but I'll do the drink and blood tests because, you know, science.
  • I passed! Barely, but I did. I had a 132 and it needs to be under 140. I'm tempted to ask to be put back on my metformin to see if it will help.
  • I had GD with my last pregnancy. I was told they would test me around 20 weeks. I was hoping to start eating like I had it now but food aversions are making it very difficult.
  • @kimmerann3 that's my issue right now. That and any energy or desire to cook.
  • I had it with my son but was undiagnosed until 38 weeks (the same day ideas induced) this time around I took the one hour test at 8 weeks and failed miserably. I've been testing my blood sugar and I have a MFM appointment the 27th. 
  • *TW*I had undiagnosed GD last pregnancy and it eventually resulted in a late loss at 31 weeks. I had a very neglectful OB who said NOTHING when my glucose screening showed a blood sugar of over 300. 

Today, I had my first appointment and I feel so relieved! I got my glucose screening today and get results in a few days. I’m hoping everything is okay. This place I’m an now seems so much more thorough so that’s a huge weight off my shoulders. Now I just gotta deal with PGAL brain.  
  • @Shidoni
    That is seriously terrible and I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm really glad you feel more comfortable with your new doctor. Trust your gut!!
  • @Shidoni I am so sorry to hear that your Drs neglect caused that. I would be so angry
  • I had GD last time around, although it was controlled with diet and exercise, and really wasn't an issue for me or baby (luckily).  I have pre-diabetes outside of pregnancy, so i think that increases the risk? I was told the glucose test won't happen until second tri.  I was already flagged for how much i have gained though, although the OB was optimistic it would even out once i feel better, and because i am thin, she said it's not an issue yet.  Not off to a great start though, lol.

@Shidoni - that is awful, and i am horrified that a practicing doctor could be that incompetent.  I'm glad you are being properly monitored this time for both you and baby's sake!

@kimmerann3 - I have the same plan, only i am eating like crap right now because of how sick i feel all the time.  Hoping to get my butt in gear in second tri....
  • Well I haven’t posted on our bump board in awhile due to overwhelming business or life and I feel like I can’t keep up with the conversations. But I found out last week that I failed my 1 hr test with a number of 237 (20 weeks here).  I feel like that’s pretty high. I’ve been checking my sugars since and trying to remember how to eat. I will meet with the high risk doctor on Monday. I was anticipating this but it’s a lot harder emotionally since I will have it much longer. I am trying to keep my spirits up and remember that this will also help to not gain unnecessary weight but it’s hard and I’m already over salad. Any lunch, dinner, snack ideas???? Hope everyone who is dealing with this is doing well!  
  • @kimmerann3 - Life’s a bitch sometimes.  Sorry you are dealing with this.  

Look for high protein options- it isn’t all just veggies, and you still need to get calories, healthy fats, and protein.  Think eggs, chicken, steak, avocados, beans and nuts.  Also- switch to whole grains for things like bread and rice.  
  • Look up recipes for Trim Healthy Mama. I love them. The focus on a protein with veggies and then a fuel: either a healthy carb or fat. It's what I was doing pre-pregnancy.  
  • @kimmerann3 I’m sorry! I was diagnosed at 12 weeks this time around and have to take a nightly dose of insulin. I’m really able to find food to eat most places we go. I get burgers as lettuce wraps at Carl’s Jr. and In & Out then eat a small amount of fries, at Del Taco I eat 1 Grilled Chicken soft taco and a few fries. I eat three meals and have three snacks a day, with two to three hours in between each. My snacks are usually tuna salad and crackers, or a small apple or banana with peanut butter, or a protein bar. My diabetes counselor actually gave me a sheet with a lot of snacks that I could do but until I’m out of school for the summer, I stick to easy ones I can eat while teaching or during my recess. My bedtime snack is usually a Premiere Protein Shake. I try to balance a lot. Last night I had a piece of CPK pizza (small slice) and a kale salad with chicken. It’s nice to have some flexibility!
  • Thank you guys! It’s nice to know others are in the same boat. I’m sure it will get easier with time and just become second nature. Thanks for all the good ideas! I think I have been trying no carbs at all and I need to balance with healthy carbs! 
  • @kimmerann3 Definitely balance. I am allowed 15 Grams of carbs for each of my snacks and breakfast and then 30 to 45 g of carbs for lunch and dinner. It helps me not go completely crazy!
  • @sammierose464 I eat similar to that style! I don't do the Almond flour I gain (pre pregnancy) with that. I occasionally do coconut flour but not much. I keep fat separate from grains or high carb things. I use THM recipes here and there. Chicken gumbo yum, cry no more brownies are pretty giod when I am in the right mood. Message me if you want to share recipes/support! :) 
  • @SweetSweetTooth some of their recipes are so yummy. I try and eat lower carb because of my PCOS.
  • I too have pcos but ate this way before I was diagnosed. I am not insulin resistant though .
  • I have T1D but was diagnosed just recently before this pregnancy.  So I have some insight:

*try and focus on the fact that there is an end date.  
    *you did NOT cause this- GD is entirely hormonal, not like T2 which can be affected by the foods you eat- GD is not.  If you ate no carbs you could still have GD you just wouldn't be diagnosed without the 1-hour/ 3-hour because your sugar can't spike without eating carbs.  
    *Diabetes is manageable and with proper care your baby faces nearly no additional risks.  
    *Don't be afraid of insulin if you progress to needing it- it is generally much easier to control than the oral meds.  and the needles are intimidating but hurt WAY less than the finger pricking!

I'm happy to help with any diabetes management questions that come up.  Because I was DX less than a year ago I am still learning, but that also makes my perspective fresh as not much is second nature just yet.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am going to pass on doing either of the glucose drink tests this time around. I was diagnosed with GD with my first one after failing both tests but I had no problem controlling my levels with diet (like I literally cut sweet tea and was good). I still have a ton of test strips and needles so I am just going to monitor it on my own. 
    While I get why you would want to avoid the test itself, the DX is really important for insurance purposes.  With GD you should have extra scans and important monitoring like Non-stress tests.  I would strongly urge you to ask you provider if they can issue a DX based on your numbers for a set time WITHOUT adjusting your diet.  Fasting and 1 hour after meals for a week maybe?  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MissBridg thank you for the info. I just met with the high risk doctor today and in a way she made me feel a lot better. Although she thinks I must have type 2 or pre diabetes before pregnancy since my number was so high at only 20 weeks. That concerned me but it runs in the family and it wouldn’t surprise me. She also suggested insulin if I can’t get my fasting number down. She said it would be safest for baby since it doesn’t cross the placenta. Thanks everyone for all the advice. I’m just trying to wrap my head around it all. 
  • mommy2anemommy2ane member
    edited June 2018
    @kimmerann3 just to add a little more... I’ll admit that it was a huge blow to have to be put on insulin since I had been eating correctly and doing everything my counselor suggested. But it really help put it in perspective that I didn’t cause this, that I did everything I could to control it,and it is the pregnancy hormones causing my fasting sugars to rise. I was diagnosed really early so I’m worried that it might be T2 that wasn’t caught early but I’ll cross that bridge when we get there. Until then, the focus is on a healthy baby boy. 

Edited because of wrong spelling. 
  • So there is a super strong chance I am going to be headed the GD route even with the Met I am still on. I am trying to eat better but eating has always been a huge struggle for me, I only like carbs and dairy. I don't like meat, veggies, or fruits. I did super well in the first tri but have fallen off course second tri. Do you ladies have decent carb replacement ideas? I know cauliflower is a big one and zucchini noodles. I have been tracking my blood sugar, fasting in the morning its at 100-105 and 2 hours after eating its at 150. So not a good sign from what I can tell, although before now I never checked my sugar.
  • ninji15 said:
    So there is a super strong chance I am going to be headed the GD route even with the Met I am still on. I am trying to eat better but eating has always been a huge struggle for me, I only like carbs and dairy. I don't like meat, veggies, or fruits. I did super well in the first tri but have fallen off course second tri. Do you ladies have decent carb replacement ideas? I know cauliflower is a big one and zucchini noodles. I have been tracking my blood sugar, fasting in the morning its at 100-105 and 2 hours after eating its at 150. So not a good sign from what I can tell, although before now I never checked my sugar.
    That fasting isn't bad.  They will tell you 70-90 is ideal for pregnancy, and under 100 is normal not pregnant.  but it would have to be over 126 to be considered diabetic (not pregnant).  Try and take some evening walks or if you workout typically, work out at night.  That is the best way to lower a fasting.  Foods don't have too much effect on fasting because...they are fastings!  ha. 

150 2 hours after eating is concerning.  You should be under 120 1 hour after eating.  

Think of carbs in a new way: moderation and pairing.  
    Fats and Proteins slow down the process that turns carbs into sugar.  So if you moderate your carbs AND pair them with fats and proteins you have a better chance of avoiding a spike.  I have learned I can avoid doses of insulin if I eat a bag of almonds before some kind of carb like popcorn or chips.  Full fat yogurt will help curb some of the sugars in the yogurt.  Eat grapes with some pepper jack cheese (full fat). 

That said, if you are GD or T2D then it may spike either way. But that is the cliffs notes on how you control with diet.  Limit carbs and pair with proteins and fats. 

You can do this!  It will become the new normal, and you may be able to ease up after pregnancy- keep that end date in sight!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MissBridg Thank you for the advice! I will for sure work on implementing these things. I walk a lot during the day thanks to my job so walking at night some shoudnt kill me. I always get 10,000 steps maybe I can up the goal a bit. Pairing the foods makes it seem less intimidating also.
  • I will not skip but am connecting with my Dr on what other testing options there are. I don't eat sugar except fruit and I really fear just that much sugar at one time will cause me to get sick and have to do it again.