October 2018 Moms

Gestational diabetes mamas

Re: Gestational diabetes mamas

• Did my one hour today and failed. 145. I thought the normal ok grey area range was 130-140. I asked where they wanted me and they said 99?!?
  • *lurking* woah, isn't 99 still high normal for non pregnant ladies? I also thought the normal range was higher for pregnancy. I am normally around 90 for my non pregnant fasting glucose, so I'm wondering how much it increases when you are pregnant.
  • Loading the player...
  • Usually they want your fasting number 99 or lower (it should be the same in a pregnant and non pregnant person). Typically a 1hour test cutoff of 130 will identify 90% of women with gestational diabetes. A cutoff of 140 isn’t as accurate and only identifies 80% of women with GD.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ate 50 g of carb at home and even though the check in asked if I fasted and I said no I think they did it as fasting bloodwork. 145 is over the limit so I would have the three hour either way. FX it goes well next week! 
  • @SweetSweetTooth - That sucks.  Fingers crossed for you.  
  • I've never seen that low for GD screen. Sorry you have to do the 3hr. However, you're still decently low. You might be ok.
  • @SweetSweetTooth I’d binge away! Just space it so you’re eating something sweet every two to three hours!
  • I was diagnosed awhile back due to my age (43).  It’s not that bad. Don’t stress yourself too hard. I had a meltdown when I first found out but there’s a lot of support to manage it. Let me know if there’s anything at all I can help you with. 
  • Just diagnosed today. Failed the fasting only on the 2 hour (BG 98) and passed the 2 readings after the drink  :/ So I am seeing an endocrinologist next week. I had GDM my first pregnancy that I failed by only a few points and ha dietary management only. Hoping it’s the same this time.
  • Got my second 1 hour test tomorrow morning! Passed a few months ago but we will see how tomorrow goes. 

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• I had my one hour and failed pretty badly. 186 is what my glucose read as when I tested it myself and I am still waiting on the exact result from the labs. 
    I don't understand my next steps though, maybe you guys have an idea?
    "Your one hour glucose was elevated the prep for the 3 hour glucose is as followed starting 2 days prior to the test follow a diet of 200 EXTRA carbohydrates per day. example is 6 slices of bread and 2 candy bars per day along with your usual intake. 
    On the night before do not eat or drink anything after midnight. Call to schedule your 3 hour. Plan to be there for 3 hours."

Is this the normal instructions for something like this? What do I eat?? Do I snack on a cookie or do I just do veggies and add in what they mentioned above?  Do I eat pizza like I would normally for dinner or stick to eggs and spinach? 
  • @ninji15 eat like you normally do, and add the 200 extra carbs. They’re trying to challenge your system to see how you process carbs. Then if you have fail the 3 hour they’ll show you how to modify your diet to help control your sugars. 
  • @jennybean80 thank you! I feel so clueless haha. 
  • Oh man...test results for the one hour were 189. I feel so unhealthy right now! Three hour test on Monday. I'm wondering with numbers so high on the first round am I just a sure thing for diabetes? I didn't have it with my first pregnancy. I'm so sad. I wasn't eating terribly, only gained about 15 pounds so far. But I can't help but feel I somehow failed at life. I started drinking a few sodas a week. I can't help but blame myself and I feel terrible right now.
  • Thanks ladies. I don't know why I'm taking this so hard. I'll try to feel better about it, see what my test results are on Monday, and in the meantime cut back on carbs and sugar.
  • @mommy2ane and @jennybean80 thank you for your words! I know they weren't directed at me but they are helpful. I was going do the three hour test this morning (and enjoy junk food this afternoon - not something I do much of) but I decided to do the two week blood monitoring with the finger prick. I still ate junk today just because. didn't pick out but did have ice cream twice today :smiley: need to check with insurance and get my meter and test strips before I get rolling. praying I don't have GD that needs to be controlled with insulin because if so I can't birth with a midwife.  
  • I think I'm more worried about needing insulin than having to just eat lower carb. Hoping I pass because I'm having enough trouble with this one hour (I feel so sick) and can't imagine the 3hr.
  • @SweetSweetTooth & @sammierose464 I have to take insulin at night because my fasting numbers are too high. It was a major blow and honestly, I felt like a failure. I think I cried in my counselors’ office for about 10 minutes because I had been doing so well with my diet. I’m okay with it now but it was still tough and now my goal is to keep it to only at night. 
  • I'm such a big baby, that the insulin needle scares me. I failed the 1hr so we will see what comes of that. I have PCOS and insulin resistance, so I'm not really surprised at all. 
  • I'm going to see if my Dr will let me monitor instead of the 3hr. I already have a great endocrinologist if I need to go see her. Although, I'm not really looking forward to stabbing my finger several times a day..
  • @sammierose464 I am not thrilled about that either but I would rather do that then the drink. Plus the monitoring is exact and I love data so I am going to have with it during those two weeks trying different meals etc and how my numbers change. 
  • I found out I failed my 1 hour this morning so my 3 hour fasting test will be Thursday morning. I know that it's hormones and really nothing I did, but it still feels like a slap in the face.
  • Wow I didn’t realize the 1 hr cutoff was so low. I was 92, but the range in the lab report was quite a bit higher so I though I passed easily. Glad I was oblivious to this and my dr called to tell me the results were good.
  • I take my 3hr on Saturday. Dr gave me a "diet" to follow, it's basically carb loading but with a good balance of protein and veggies/fruit. I was looking at the cut off numbers and thinking they weren't that bad. Then I remembered I'll be drinking double of the solution. So while my 50g test was under the 180 cutoff for the first hour of the 3hr, I'm not sure what that will mean when I drink 100g...

I told Dh I'd like for him to drop me off and pick me up. I'm worried about not feeling well after.
  • You're gonna do great, @sammierose464!
  • Girl, Im going to be nervous until those results come back.
  • I have to call and set up my 3hr and see if they have special instructions all I was originally told was fast for 8hrs then come do the test 
  • I totally understand, @sammierose464 - just know that whatever happens, we'll all be here to support you <3

• You ladies rock. 
  • Good luck @sammierose464!! Good idea having dh pick you up in case you feel sick. Have him bring food too! Like morning sickness food! 
    I got my blood sugar monitor today. Not thrilled about pricking my fingers 4x a day for two weeks but oh well. What we do for our kids lol
  • sammierose464sammierose464 member
    edited July 2018
    He will be taking me down the road to McDonald's. Momma gets what she wants aftrr that!