February 2018 Moms
Options

The Baby Name Thread

Re: The Baby Name Thread

• Options
    @lainikins we kept our little guys name a surprise! We also were team green so it was easy since we didn't know if it was a boy or a girl
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our little boy is going to be William Lawrence, named for both of his grandfathers. He will be the first grandbaby on both sides. However, instead of calling him Billy/Bill he will most definitely be called Will or William. My father, grandfather, and brother are all Bills. I thought it was a nice way to use the family name but still make it his own. We are keeping the name a secret from everyone but our parents, they already know! 
    I have to admit, I am a little sad not to be able to use our girls name! Violet Elizabeth was picked out and I hope one day we do get to use it! 
  • Options
    I'm trying to decide between Leighton and Brenna for a girl.  I have a name that is hard to spell and pronounce, so I'm worried about Leighton (pronounced LAYT-en), but I also read a post from a Brenna that says she gets called "Breena" and "Brenda" all the time.  I just feel like Brenna is kind of boring.  Nothing else is jumping out at me. I have also really liked androgynous names, then when it came down to it I'm not sure I want an androgynous name.  

My short list:
    Rowan
    Quinn
    Blair
    Brenna
    Darcy
    Audrey
    Leighton

Older brother is Declan, and our last name is an "O apostrophe" irish name.  Hubby's name is Irish so we kind of want to keep the Irish feel going.  
  • Options
    I think Leighton is a pretty common spelling.  I say go for it @mrsoirish!  It's a pretty name!  I know boys and girls with the name and they are spelled Leighton.
  • Options
    @mrsoirish, I think both names are great. Neither are super obscure or spelled in non traditional ways. There are always going to be people who won't know how to pronounce the names and spelling is often botched. My name is Elaine and I am often called Eileen and even E-line-ee more than once. I have to spell my name for people all the time. Very few know how to spell it and it is not that uncommon. Unless you go with a super common name, there will be those cases, and even then, Starbucks will find a way to butcher it. 
  • Options

@libbodee I love the name Hazel for a girl! It's so pretty.

@mrsoirish I work with kids and Leighton is a very common name, and that is the way I've always seen it spelled for girls, so I wouldn't worry about the spelling.

We just found out we are having a girl, and then DH suddenly decided he hates the girl name we agreed on THREE WEEKS AGO. I'm very big on the name having important meaning behind it, and it was perfect, and he sucks. lol just kidding, I'm not going to push a name he doesn't like, I'm just irritated.

I'm leaning toward another name that has meaning for us that DH has approved of, but I am having a hard time picking a spelling. I find unnecessarily weird spellings of names to be super annoying, but I also hate when names don't sound the way they look. The name is pronounced "Uh-lay-nuh" but I've seen a few different spellings on baby name lists and was hoping some people could provide some feedback.

• Alayna (I think this one looks the most phonetically correct, but someone IRL said it just looks wrong)
    • Alaina (Suggested to me as looking better than the y version, but I have doubts about people pronouncing it. I think people would say "Uh-law-nuh")
    • Elaina (This looks the most "traditional" to me, but I don't think it looks the way it is pronounced. It looks like Ee-lay-nuh, or I think a lot of people will say "Elaine" just because it's more common and people are lazy readers.)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @precious88 I’ve seen Alaina the most, and I think it’s the more traditional spelling of the three. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    @precious88 My cousin is named "Elaina" and we have always pronounced her name Ee-lay-nuh
  • Options
    @precious88 I’ve seen Alaina the most, and I think it’s the more traditional spelling of the three. 
    Def this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @precious88 another vote for Alaina, it looks how you are pronouncing it. The E one I would say Ee-. 
  • Options
    Saw a baby named “Blayklee” on fb today
  • Options
    Why do people insist on all of the extra unnecessary letters? Hopefully they are parents who don't get all uppity when their child's name is spelled wrong, 15000 times! 
  • Options
    LOL we decided on the spelling Kaleb because 1) DD's name starts with a C so we didn't want to have two C kids. 2) DD also has a different than normal spelling of her name (Ciera not Sierra) and she has had a fit about not finding her name on those souvenir keychain. Didn't want to make it easy for the 2nd kid either lest she think we're favoring him. 

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Options
    kbrinks2 said:
    Why do people insist on all of the extra unnecessary letters? Hopefully they are parents who don't get all uppity when their child's name is spelled wrong, 15000 times! 
    Parents who choose these weird spellings are ALWAYS the ones who get upset when the name is spelled wrong haha. We should start a thread for the absolute worst names we've ever encountered lol. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @precious88 my friend spells her name Alena. 
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    @precious88 I would go with Alaina, too. 
  • Options
    LOL we decided on the spelling Kaleb because 1) DD's name starts with a C so we didn't want to have two C kids. 2) DD also has a different than normal spelling of her name (Ciera not Sierra) and she has had a fit about not finding her name on those souvenir keychain. Didn't want to make it easy for the 2nd kid either lest she think we're favoring him. 
    I know a Kaleb. I love that spelling. I would probably use it if I was going with "Caleb" as a name.
  • Options
    Aeml1985 said:
    That reminds me of that video where the black teacher is prounoucing all the white kid names wrong and gets mad when no one answers lol. I laugh just thinking about it. "You done wrong a-a-ron" 
    Pre-sent!
  • Options
    @precious88 ugh SO is trying to pull the same crap about the name we picked months ago which is Sawyer Marie. He wants to add Joy somehow. Which is his sisters name and she has cancer so I feel bad saying no but come on you coulda said something before we decided and before I ordered some monogrammed stuff bc now your sol dude. 
  • Options
    Any thoughts on these names for a baby boy? 

I love Leighton (Layton) for a boy, but have seen so many girls with that name... What do you all think about Lennon? Lennox? Any other L suggestions? 

We have Liam and Lochlan  already. 
  • Options
    @neener*neener* I love both! But I've only ever heard them for girls.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options
    @mbirdie I have only known boys as Leighton and Lennon but I know that a lot of people are using those types of names for girls also.. makes it hard to pick for a boy. 

I taught 8th grade one year and there were two girls named Dakota and one boy named Dakota... 
  • Options
    @neener*neener* I think it's a regional thing too! DH and I are both teachers and feel like it ends up ruling out a bunch of names for us. 
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options
    mbirdie said:
    @neener*neener* I think it's a regional thing too! DH and I are both teachers and feel like it ends up ruling out a bunch of names for us. 
    Yes! I am a teacher also. It rules out 99% of names ;) 

Lennon, Layton, and Levi are top contenders for me... Shaw as a middle name (family name).
  • Options
    @neener*neener* I've always LOVED the name Levi
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options
    @neener*neener* I know a guy Leighton, and haven't personally met a girl one yet. If you're looking for L names, I also like Logan and Landon. 
  • Options
    @neener*neener* some L names for Boys:
    Lincoln, Lionel, Levi, Leo, Landon, Lucas/Luke
  • Options
    @neener*neener* DS’s middle name is Loren, I know it’s another girl/boy name but I think that spelling looks masculine and obv I love it. :) Also like all @kbrinks2 suggestions!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    @precious88 ugh SO is trying to pull the same crap about the name we picked months ago which is Sawyer Marie. He wants to add Joy somehow. Which is his sisters name and she has cancer so I feel bad saying no but come on you coulda said something before we decided and before I ordered some monogrammed stuff bc now your sol dude. 
    I absolutely love the name you’ve chosen!! (Not that my opinion holds any weight, but it’s gorgeous).
  • Options

I love Leighton (Layton) for a boy, but have seen so many girls with that name... What do you all think about Lennon? Lennox? Any other L suggestions? 

Is Lochlan more of a Celtic name, for lack of better wording on my part? Both of those give me Celtic feelings (maybe I’m super off based here). Are you wanting L names in general or an L name that goes with that theme too?
  • Options

Is Lochlan more of a Celtic name, for lack of better wording on my part? Both of those give me Celtic feelings (maybe I’m super off based here). Are you wanting L names in general or an L name that goes with that theme too?
    Nice observation! My husband's family originates from Ireland. An "L" name is top priority. If we found an Irish/Celtic name we loved that started with an "L" that would be a double bonus. :) 

• Options
    @neener*neener*, I went a googling Celtic names that start with L and found Leary. I like that one a lot, so long as your name is not O'Leary ;) 
  • Options
    @precious88 and @eggplantface I have a friend that spells is Alena too! I like Alaina out of your choices. I would for sure pronounce it with the hard E if it was Elaina. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We’re naming our girl Stella Mae. We already have a Wyatt Curtis. I think they go well together. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am stuck in a box and I don't know why. 

I'm loving all of these names. Can't wait to match them with cute little faces.

We're naming our little guy Lincoln Dale. His middle name is DH's dad's name, who passed away when he was a teenager. 
  • Options
    We have a name! Last night we decided to use Beau!  apparently i am the only one that has an issue with 3 kids names starting with B, or that it ryhmes with one of our other kids  Jo. Even Jo doesn't care. 

For some reason what the babies name was going to be came up as we were tucking everyones in to bed and kids started voting from their rooms.  (We had told them before it wasn't going to be a democratic process,  that we were choosing). 4 or of 5 kids choose Beau, and my husband said he preferred it over his initial pick now.  So we shook on it lol, and or little bit has a name!

The other contender was Rhett if anyone is curious. 
    If you had just one child already and her name was Jo, giving you only Beau and Jo, that might be weird. But with three others I don't think anyone will bat an eye. I love Rhett, but there's no way H would agree to it.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18