February 2018 Moms
Options

The Baby Name Thread

What baby names are you looking at? What's in your 'nope' list? 

(Or feel free to check out the baby name board)

Re: The Baby Name Thread

• Options
    Chawk17Chawk17 member
    edited July 2017
    Well I've had these for 6 years..so don't steal. And if you do steal don't tell me :)
    1. Courtland Hawk
    2. Hayley Jaymes 
    3. Stefan Fox

• Options
    Oh girl. Great minds... you have a middle name and a first name on our list, but not the same complete name. :)

aChawk17 said:
    Well I've had these for 6 years..so don't steal. And if you do steal don't tell me :)
    1. Courtland Hawk
    2. Hayley Jaymes 
    3. Stefan Fox

Chawk17 said:
    1. Courtland Hawk
    2. Hayley Jaymes 
    3. Stefan Fox

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What names do we have in common? That's funny about fox.
  • Options
    We have zero girl names. But still have a boy name from last time. 

Shepherd Will (shepherd after our church we were married in. And Will after both of our paternal grandparents). 
  • Options
    Chawk17 said:
    What names do we have in common? That's funny about fox.

*stuck in the box*

girl name we're pretty sure we'll go with is Haley. 
    Hawk was thrown out as a boy middle name and ended up staying on the list. 
    Both our girls have nature middle names. DH is a hunter and I figure middle names can be less serious. 
  • Options
    I've been partial to classic and old fashioned names since my late teen years, and even more so when I took interest in onomastics. All of my kids have two middle names, and at least one family name. I adore their names.

We have a very short list for girl and boy names.

Genevieve or Wilhelmina Eleanor Love (family surname) -- Genevieve was the contender when I was pregnant with dd2.

Westley or August (Augy) Edward Corgiat (both middles are family names). Westley from The Princess Bride. It's one of our favorite fantasy movies. <3 

For a while we really liked Daisy, but I wanted to go with a longer name and break up the "y" ending names. They were getting too samey for me.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    Originally we didn't want any repeating initials. We refer to our first daughter as B a lot. DD2's name starts with an A. DH and I both start with J. 
    All the sudden he wants a boy name that starts with A too. Bro, we have rules, man. 
  • Options
    @meatball37 love Shepherd. DH's cousin has a Shepherd and I really like it. 

I have had a boy name picked out since I was about 12. Silas James. (James would be after DH's Grandpa.)

For a girl our second choice from last time will probably be the name. Aria or Arya. If anyone like to give suggestions for middle names I'm totally open to it. 
    DD1 is C******* Lily. We couldn't agree on a middle name for Aria/Arya the first time around. Our last name is a common name.
  • Options
    I definitely prefer old names. We have a Stella and an Evelyn.

We were team green with the girls so we still have our boy's name; Joseph Anthony, which is a family name. 

For girl's this time we're leaning toward Margaret (after my grandmother) or Eleanor (because I like it.) We'd probably use Theresa as a middle name for either first name, which is DH's grandmother's name. He's incredibly close to his grandmother and I'd happily use it as a first name if 1) we didn't already have two young Tessa's in our lives and 2) his mother would absolutely lose it.

I'm really leaning toward Eleanor Theresa, even though I'm afraid Eleanor is too close to Evelyn. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @BelhurstBride I have an Evelyn and Eliza in my family. The go by Evie and Ellie. I don't think Eleanor is too close to Evelyn. I really loved Evangeline but decided against it because of how close to Evelyn it is.
    Edit sp
  • Options

• Options
    @the_other_mother, it's more the nicknames DH is worried about being too close; Evie and Ellie. I rarely call Evelyn Evie, so it doesn't really affect me and I told him we could always push Nora as a nickname, instead. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @TattoosandLace we love Hawk but not hunters...but because we live in WA state...so C. HAWK  ( Seahawk) :)

@meatball37 I love the name Shepherd Will.

• Options
    @the_other_mother - My dd2's name is Evangeline. We call her Eve or Evey. To our surprise, her peers and teachers call her Evangeline (ee-van-je-leen).

• Options
    @the_other_mother my cousin just named her daughter Ariya, pronounced are-i-ah since she has an auntie aria pronounced ah-re-a

one of our top 3 girls names from last time was Willa, after my late oma Wilma. danielle is a contender for middle name after my dad "Daniel". I like family names for middle names, DD middle name is Lillian, a play on my last name. 

Eli and grant are on my boy list, but Eli is too popular and I'm not sure I want kids to have the same first initial, my daughter is G as well. 

I like old fashioned names that can't be shortened (Mel from Melissa, etc). Also, all girls names end in an "A" from my side of the family.
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Options
    clc515clc515 member
    These are names either I or DH loved but the other vetoed for whatever reason lol (usually the name reminds us of someone from our past we dont like):
    Camilla 
    Mia
    Angeline Olivia (i kinda was over this after so many olivias lol)
    Josephine Elena (so sad, i LOVE this one) 

Im also partial to boys names for girls - i knew both beautiful and smart girls like this - a Kyle anne and Ryan/Rian - but DH is not for it. 

Luckily we completely agree on a boys name, Luke.
  • Options

Im also partial to boys names for girls - i knew both beautiful and smart girls like this - a Kyle anne 
    My DH is Kyle and we were just talking about how both our names don't really have nicknames.  I am jokingly going to call him Kyle Anne :)
  • Options
    Aeml1985 said:
    @the_other_mother my cousin just named her daughter Ariya, pronounced are-i-ah since she has an auntie aria pronounced ah-re-a

one of our top 3 girls names from last time was Willa, after my late oma Wilma. danielle is a contender for middle name after my dad "Daniel". I like family names for middle names, DD middle name is Lillian, a play on my last name. 

Eli and grant are on my boy list, but Eli is too popular and I'm not sure I want kids to have the same first initial, my daughter is G as well. 

I like old fashioned names that can't be shortened (Mel from Melissa, etc). Also, all girls names end in an "A" from my side of the family.
    And I just fell in love with the name Willa!!!!!!
  • Options
    I have really only been thinking of girls' names. I like Lydia, Eleanor, and Harriet. Though I do not think I could name my child Harriet, we are a hairy family and it feels a little mean. I love the name and the nick name Haddie though. I have no ideas for boy names. 
  • Options
    We have had our girl name chosen since our son wad born
    ..Emma Marie. 
    For a boy we chose Eli Arthur
    both middle names have special meanings to us. 
  • Options
    I'm dead set on Cheyenne Lorraine (Lorraine being my mother's middle name which I've always loved) for a girl and Levi Eugene for a boy (Eugene being his dad's middle name) BUT his sister's son's middle name (our nephew just laying out the connection) is Eugene and we mentioned liking Levi Eugene prior to my first MC and his sister kinda threw a fit. Nothing too terrible but enough that I don't want to discuss names with her. In-laws DH stuck on using Alva for a middle name after a great grandpa who passed when DH was like 2. I want my kiddos to be able to mert their namesakes, I'm naved aftrr my dad and an uncle and I had great relationships with both of them.
  • Options
    I also prefer old fashioned "vintage" type names. Scarlett and Violet are my favorites for a girl right now. I don't really have any boy names I love yet, but the middle name would be James after my dad. DD's middle name is Margaret after my mom. 

I'll probably hold off on seriously thinking about names until we find out the sex as part of the genetic testing my doctor is doing in 4 weeks. 
  • Options
    @meatball37 love Shepherd. DH's cousin has a Shepherd and I really like it. 

I have had a boy name picked out since I was about 12. Silas James. (James would be after DH's Grandpa.)

For a girl our second choice from last time will probably be the name. Aria or Arya. If anyone like to give suggestions for middle names I'm totally open to it. 
    DD1 is C******* Lily. We couldn't agree on a middle name for Aria/Arya the first time around. Our last name is a common name.

My girlfriend named her daugther Aryia Skye
  • Options
    @JaymeMac I love the name sky!
  • Options
    @Chawk17 it is definitely growing in popularity. The statistics aren't exactly what they were when we were kids though. The names in the top ten back then made up a much larger percentage of the population than they do now. It's not going to be exactly like the Jessicas and Ashleys when I was young. Some of the trendier names have been changing quickly as well.
  • Options
    meatballs37meatballs37 member
    edited July 2017
    Chawk17 said:
    Ok don't flame me.
    But.... all the aria/aryas...and other spellings are going to be popular.
    Especially with GOT coming back on the 25th.
    Just something to consider :)

And I for one love the show and name!

Kind of like Isabella when twilight hit.
    Well damn. I'm 10 months too late ;)  Also I have never watched GOT and hate when people ask me that. No, just no. An Aria is a musical solo. 
  • Options
    Chawk17 said:
    Ok don't flame me.
    But.... all the aria/aryas...and other spellings are going to be popular.
    Especially with GOT coming back on the 25th.
    Just something to consider :)

And I for one love the show and name!

Kind of like Isabella when twilight hit.
    I have a friend whose daughter is named Aria, but she's 10.5, named when it wasn't nearly as common. That's something I try to consider when choosing names, though dd1's name, Grace, was ranked 13 the year she was born, but has yet to have a duplicate in any of her classes in three states. I thought once she hit middle school she'd come across more Graces. Nope. There's less than a dozen in her old school. Region/culture plays a factor in name popularity as well.

• Options
    Both my DH and my names are so common Meghan and Kyle. It just kinda sucks when your name is everywhere :(  Someone calls my name and several heads turn.  
    There were 8 Isabellas in first grade at my school this year. Twighlight popularity. 
    It might just be me that it bothers. Oh well.
  • Options
    I too prefer older names and more classic names. I also cannot stand unique spellings. For a girl I like Laurel, Natalie, and Ruby, DH is really leaving towards Ruby though.

Boys are harder since I've already used the 3 I liked and that DH and I can agree on. I'm personally liking Wyatt, Landon, and Luke. DH likes Wyatt a lot but I am turned off by the popularity of it and DH doesn't like the other two.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    @chawk17 I had the opposite problem. My name is so unique, no one knows how to pronounce it. I vowed not to name my kids something so weird they would have to constantly correct people. 
  • Options
    Maxwell Austin (DH and I got engaged in Austin, Texas) or Parker (Austin or maybe some other middle name). I've had these two names picked up since pregnant with DD #2 

i have 3 girls so I don't even want to think about girl names right now haha. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just literally would have no clue what I'd name a Fourth girl. I have a Deklyn Rose, Cameron Kay and Ava Madelyn 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Options
    @Chawk17 - My birth name is a very popular early 80s name. It just wasn't me. Most were shocked to learn my given name and would always respond with "I wouldn't have guessed! You don't look like someone with that name." I couldn't really identify with it when I hit my early 20s. I legally changed my entire name.

@sabriel1 - My dd3's name is Ruby Matilda Rose. :smile: 

• Options
    @Chawk17 - My birth name is a very popular early 80s name. It just wasn't me. Most were shocked to learn my given name and would always respond with "I wouldn't have guessed! You don't look like someone with that name." I couldn't really identify with it when I hit my early 20s. I legally changed my entire name.

@sabriel1 - My dd3's name is Ruby Matilda Rose. :smile: 
    Did you always go by that different name? Or did you just start going by it when you got older? What did your parents thinking of you legally changing it. I can't imagine my mom taking too well to it.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    JaymeMac said:
    We have had our girl name chosen since our son wad born
    ..Emma Marie. 
    For a boy we chose Eli Arthur
    both middle names have special meanings to us. 
    Emma Marie is one of my best friends names! :-) 
  • Options
    A couple people have mentioned the name Isabella and it's popularity. What do you y'all think of the name Isabel? Personally I don't like the -Ella version and I never watched/read any of the Twilights but I keep thinking about this name Isabel. Has it been enough time since the peak? I don't want 5 Isabel's (-Ella's) in my kids class :-(
    For context regionally I'm in Chicago and I don't know any adults or children with this name.

I have a couple other names I like too but wondering your thoughts on that one. Also, I bascially hate all boys names! Ugh! Really hopin' for that girl I guess. 

-M
  • Options
    Okay so i have 2 names for a girl and i would be devistated if anyone used them bc i tead them both in a book and no o e around pa has them Ariella Mae (elle, ella,arie) or Arabella mae (bell). I have a huge obsession with disney and the nick names work for that plus DH and i want somethi g that rhymes with his 2DD kayla and aleah pmus my name samantha. 

For a boy name we easily decided on Emmett Michael because michael is DH first name and my gav siblings middle name. Plus my sons DS name is Derek and its to popumar