February 2018 Moms
Options

The Baby Name Thread

Re: The Baby Name Thread

• Options
    I have 23 letters (plus spaces) for my first name and 2 middle names. I haven't noticed any problems with any government forms. My full name is on my licence, passport and health card and I haven't had any issues with it all fitting
  • Options
    kbrinks2 said:
    I have 23 letters (plus spaces) for my first name and 2 middle names. I haven't noticed any problems with any government forms. My full name is on my licence, passport and health card and I haven't had any issues with it all fitting

Muat get more spaces than we do;) his middle name is Lee Matthew and some of his correspondence comes address to   First Name ‘Lee Matth’ Last Name hahahahah

Obviously on official documents they make sure to have it correct but there have been many times he’s had to write above the boxes given to make it fit. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @pandappanderson i havent considered that! My initial fear was more superficial...how do you buy anything monogrammed with a double middle name?! Do you only use the initial of the “first” middle name. We have not decided for sure yet, but if we go with it we probably will not continue the trend for future babies (especially girls!). Just want both families represented with our first.
  • Options
    kbrinks2 said:

Muat get more spaces than we do;) his middle name is Lee Matthew and some of his correspondence comes address to   First Name ‘Lee Matth’ Last Name hahahahah

Obviously on official documents they make sure to have it correct but there have been many times he’s had to write above the boxes given to make it fit. 
    It is definitely something to think about though! I also don't go by my "official name" and never have! So it's even trickier when trying to explain who you are. When I got hired on as a teacher I applied with my maiden name and my commonly used first name. And then I got married before I actually started the job and my principal was so confused about who was actually working for him because mt certificate had my official name and married last name! 
  • Options
    @nightnurse92 love that name! DS1 was almost a “Gavan” 

DS2 is getting our leftover boy name from DD. We still love it! And it’s hard to get DH to agree to anything name wise lol. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having a really hard time letting go of my family lineage for this LO, dunno if you saw any of my old posts but I was considering all sorts of last name options including hyphenation. While I've settled (compromised???) on having DH's last name for the babe, I think what would make me happy is having a mix of my maternal/parental names as middle names for LO. It won't be my last name, but cute names from my dads and moms sides (they are divorced). My feeling on it is if it's an annoyance to the kid they just won't use it as an adult, or use the initials. But I'd be the first in my family to do any double middle names so it'll be a bit weird for folks I think, but when they see the why I think they'll get it. I'm sentimental I can't help it! This name stuff is complicated. I know I mentioned Myra before, but it just didnt flow. 

Ex. Top contenders: Lyra Hazel Pauline Sxxxxxx and Casey Jordan Paul Sxxxxxx 
  • Options
    @mblomq2 I would definitely have 2 middle names if you have such a sentimental meaning behind them! People that matter to you will understand! 
  • Options
    @mblomq2 I love the name Lyra. First saw it in the golden compass.
  • Options
    @clc515 I've never seen that movie but I imagine the connection is to the constellation :-) it was also the mom's name in the most recent Star Wars but generally speaking it's a pretty rare name.
  • Options
    So we're having another girl and while I don't care so much that the siblings names are matchy, I'm just not sure DHs pick sounds okay. We already have Finley Ann and he's suggested Scout Elizabeth. (Elizabeth is his 96 yr old grandmother's name so that has to stay.) Naming actual people is the worst. It took so long to agree the first time, I don't want to keep holding up the process!
  • Options
    Melissa9481 said: 
    So we're having another girl and while I don't care so much that the siblings names are matchy, I'm just not sure DHs pick sounds okay. We already have Finley Ann and he's suggested Scout Elizabeth. (Elizabeth is his 96 yr old grandmother's name so that has to stay.) Naming actual people is the worst. It took so long to agree the first time, I don't want to keep holding up the process!
    I like Elizabeth but I really dislike Scout. It's not that it doesn't go with the other name I just don't like it

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    @Melissa9481 Is the suggestion of Scout Elizabeth a literary reference to To Kill a Mockingbird? You don't seem to love the name so maybe you can either choose something else for a first name and Elizabeth can remain the middle name in tribute to his grandmother or maybe Elizabeth Scout? A third option if you really really don't love the name Scout but he likes it a lot...perhaps Scout can be the child's nickname? You could also wait until birth and tell him that Scout doesn't 'fit' the child if you're still not in love with it. It's important that you're both on board with the name choice. I don't necessarily hate the name Scout, I think it's cute but I wonder how well it'll transition with the child when they become an adult. That's also something to consider. Your first child's name I really like. My son goes to school with a little girl named Fiona and she has a sibling named Finley. There's another option if you want to do the matchy names thing? Good luck with the naming process. We had a horrible time agreeing the first time around! 
  • Options
    @Melissa9481 I really like Scout Elizabeth.  I think it's cute and goes great with Finley.  I wasn't sure if you like Scout or not or if you were concerned how it sounds with Finley.  If you don't like Scout then... Boo.  Hiss.  Tell DH to keep looking.  But really, I like it.
  • Options
    @Melissa9481 I think Scout is cute.  It is different.  If you aren't sure--then keep looking. 

DS's name is Maverick--and it gets hated on a lot of public boards like this (although it hasn't on here yet).  I disliked it at first, then it grew on me.  Now, I love it and want to name DS2 an equally "different" name.  I used to worry about what it would sound like as a adult--but people name their kids such a variety of names, I stopped worrying about it.
  • Options
    I don't think he associates the name with the book but I do. I just haven't found anything I've loved as much as I loved Finley the first time. Scout is cute to me but it doesn't grab me, I guess. But nothing so far does! Only real bonus is that it isn't in top social security list for any year. I hated being one of 4 Melissa's growing up. I'll keep it on the list and see if it grows on me! Thank you guys! 
  • Options
    @Melissa9481 I think Scout is cute.  It is different.  If you aren't sure--then keep looking. 

DS's name is Maverick--and it gets hated on a lot of public boards like this (although it hasn't on here yet).  I disliked it at first, then it grew on me.  Now, I love it and want to name DS2 an equally "different" name.  I used to worry about what it would sound like as a adult--but people name their kids such a variety of names, I stopped worrying about it.
    @magnolia305 My husband suggested Maverick the first time around. I didn't understand the reference to Top Gun because I've never seen the movie (weekly confession #1? haha) I said no to the name because it didn't have a nickname (that was legit my only reason. Otherwise I thought it was unique and had a cool sound to it.) I wanted to name my son something that would go with his already chosen middle name and that I didn't have to shout a long long name all the time cause the middle name is pretty long.

We ended up settling on Alexander Anthony. His middle name was my deceased father's so that was non-negotiable. We call him "Alex" for short. We're having a second boy this time around and I thought the process would once again be super difficult. The first time we went back and forth between a bunch of names to the point where when the baby arrived, we still didn't have the first name figured out. Not a lot of things sounded 'right' to us with the middle name Anthony. I thought it would be similar this time around and once again we are using my husband's father's first name as a middle name.
    I made a suggestion and surprisingly he was on board. It was almost too easy. I told my DH that I wanted to choose something that was also a "strong" name. I felt like we probably couldn't name one Alexander and then another one something like Grant. It just wouldn't work (maybe I'm just particular here but I felt like they both needed lengthy names with a strong connotation haha)
    My husband has a 'br' name and our last name also starts with 'br' and he HATES the alliteration of his name, but it was a family name so they gave it to him. He said absolutely no way to names that started with B... and then I suggested Benjamin and as it turned out his great great grandfather's name was Benjamin it was his grandfather's middle name etc. etc. so it's kind of a family name, it has a nickname for shortening purposes (so it meets that requirement) he didn't absolutely hate it surprisingly AND the MOST important thing to an IT guy... the domain name with our last name was available. haha he's purchased the domain names for all of us and that was a huge part of the decision. So DS #2 will be Benjamin James and I already bought the wooden letters to paint for the room so no take backsies  :D
  • Options
    We finally made a decision for baby boy. Samuel Edward. We both like Samuel and Edward is the middle name of DH, FIL and grandfather IL. I'm actually shocked we figured this out already because my other boys weren't named until days before they were
    born.  
    Love it❤ We're naming our baby girl Samantha. It doesn't have any ties to anything. We just both like the name, and the nicknames. 

I've always liked Edward, too.
  • Options
    We’re 98% decided on Eleanor as the first name and now we’re trying to figure out middle names. We’ve got both grandmas names on the list: Margaret or Carmen. Or we may just choose something completely unrelated to anything. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    +1 for Eleanor Margaret. Very classic. 
  • Options
    I also think Eleanor Margaret sounds beautiful and classic.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. It’s the one I’m leaning towards too. However Carmen is my husbands only surviving grandparent and this is not only the first great grandchild, but first grandchild on that side so we were definitely considering the sentiment behind that. My Nana (Margaret) has 17 great grandchildren and I’m sure at least one of them has her name as a middle name already hahahaha. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    GoogleMD said:
    I think may have decided on the name Colette Wren 
    I love Wren!!!! It clashes with our last name but I have always loved it. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    GoogleMD said:
    I think may have decided on the name Colette Wren 
    Love it! Colette was in my top for girls. But we are having a boy!

We are going with a first name that wasn't on our list at all even though we listed so hard... Wolfgang Cooper Smith. We want to use just Wolf as a nickname. I just didn't like how any of the first names we picked sounded with any middle names and DH really liked the name Cooper but I wouldn't let us use it as a first name since it's too common for a kid with such a common last name IMO. I'm pretty happy with it. We were going for a name we don't know anyone who has it, but not made up or misspelled. Check, check, check!
  • Options
    Dh and I don't know what we're having but we have a name picked for either. We have Lilliana Vivienne for a girl and Damien Nikolai for a boy.
  • Options
    Now that we officially have a name,  dh has been telling it to everyone... I'm finding it very annoying!  We told the kids,  and I kinda understood when he told his parents,  but now he's told the neighbors,  the feed store guy,  and anyone who asks a general "how's the baby" question. 

It's very much locked the name in which i still wasnt 100% with,  and made lots of akward conversations on my part because I'm not telling anyone the name,  so my bff is in the dark,  but I'm pretty sure the bank ladies know.  plus all of the people now giving me there negative opinions,  which i really don't care for.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    We told everyone the name once we found out gender.  Sutton Leigh. I like that people know her name because it makes it more real for me...I guess. 
  • Options
    Chawk17 said:
    We told everyone the name once we found out gender.  Sutton Leigh. I like that people know her name because it makes it more real for me...I guess. 
     Love that name! It’s unique yet simple.
  • Options
    Husband has a double middle name and he hates it because it never fits on any government forms. Just a thought. 
    I was wondering about this. So you do list both middle names on those forms?? DH and I both have one middle but this new baby will have two.
  • Options
    kbrinks2 said:
    Good to know I just counted it out and this baby's full name will be 21 letters O.O
  • Options
    Chawk17Chawk17 member
    edited November 2017
    Chawk17 said:
     Love that name! It’s unique yet simple.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Aeml1985Aeml1985 member
    edited November 2017
    Husband has a double middle name and he hates it because it never fits on any government forms. Just a thought. 
    I was wondering about this. So you do list both middle names on those forms?? DH and I both have one middle but this new baby will have two.
    I have a double middle name 'Emma Marie' and I love it and wouldn't hesitate giving my kid(s) double middles if there was a sentimental reason. 

I have dibs dibs on the middle name because the kids get DH's last name and I didn't change mine when we got married. My daughters middle name is Lillian a variation of my last name, but was also my paternal grandmothers name. This baby's middle name will be William which comes from my Oma who was Wilma. I'm also open to Wihilem as DH and I both had German grandparents. 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Options
    @jlcrunchberry I also have an 8 letter last name to go with my super long name and it all fits on my documents!
  • Options
    Turns out we may be doing the double middle name too! It'll be 13 letters, 24 total name. My name was 25 letters and at least fit on passport and  license lol, so he'll live lol. 
  • Options
    +1 for double middle name

Gavin Joshua Price B******

23 letters
  • Options
    So we are team green here and have a girls name picked (for now) but our boys list is too long! I was wondering people's opinions on the long form of John. Jonathan? Johnathan? Can I use John as the short form for Jonathan? I don't want the short form to be Jon. Any help!  
  • Options
    kbrinks2 said:
    So we are team green here and have a girls name picked (for now) but our boys list is too long! I was wondering people's opinions on the long form of John. Jonathan? Johnathan? Can I use John as the short form for Jonathan? I don't want the short form to be Jon. Any help!  
    I’m a fan of standard spelling - John or Jonathan. It would personally annoy me to have Jonathan have a nickname of John; I would go with Jon. Any reason why that bothers use?  I’m kinda picky with names too. I am team green, but still can’t agree with my husband on a boy name! I figure I’ll just go to the hospital with a couple and pick what one sounds right and let him have veto power. 
  • Options
    @jessilee15 I have an uncle and 2 cousins named John so our whole family would spell it this way anyway. But I find it weird to have the full name jonathon and the short form John. I'm also a teacher and don't like "random" names or shortforms lol
    We probably will just cross it off our list since it bugs me this much