September 2016 Moms
Options

Feeding thread

14567810»

Re: Feeding thread

• Options
    Lol omg yes @jellybiehn. X will growl at me when I'm feeding him if I take too long between bites. The other day he tried to eat a cookie right out of my mouth as I was taking a bite. Glad I'm not the only one with a garbage disposal that still fits in smaller clothes. He still fits his 6 months stuff. Too long for 3 months although I swear the waist would fit him better with 3 months lol.
  • Options
    Okay ladies I really need some advice. X has been pretty much sleeping through the night for the last few days almost a week. However I have been waking him up for his MOTN feeding. I know I should probably let him sleep but I feel like he doesn't get enough milk during the day. He only eats about 5 times a day and eats usually about 5 oz a bottle sometimes it will be 4-6 oz. Just depends on his mood. He is already on the small size and don't want to stunt his growth even more. Plus he has a bit more solid poops than I would like so trying to increase his fluid intake. Offering water every couple hours, not a lot, just a bit. Question in all this is, should I let him sleep or continue to wake him up? It doesn't bother me to nurse him at night, I just want what is best for him. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jenkar01 I would let him sleep. But I understand your concern. He might wake up earlier to get that extra feeding or he may increase his intake during the day to recover. Or he may not 30 oz is an acceptable amount of food, he's definitely not starving he's just a skinny guy!
  • Options
    BabyBoyH92016BabyBoyH92016 member
    edited May 2017
    @jenkar01 I wouldn't wake him up. I've been worried as well since my LOs weight gain has slowed tremendously. He's also been sleeping through the night more consistently so he's skipping a feeding. I try to make up for it during the day but his appetite is so hit or miss. Do you have any way to weight him every once in awhile to make you feel better? But it sounds like he's eating a good amount. My lo will have about 4 bottles a day which are about 5-5.5 oz each. He'll usually eat a whole pouch of food as well, and a bowl of oatmeal with a little fruit. I would talk to your pediatrician if you are concerned.
  • Options
    Yeah, he will probably make up for it during the day. If you notice he's not, then you can just always go back to feeding him MOTN again! 
  • Options
    I would enjoy your sleep and let him sleep! I'm waiting for the day that dylan will start to consistently STTN....I know one day it will come! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well he has started stirring again at night. Not fully waking up but enough to where he paws at my chest for food. So I will keep nursing him at night until his next check up at the end of the month and talk to the pediatrician then.
  • Options
    I plan on asking at our 9 month check up , but I was wondering about a few foods that I have seen conflicting info on.

Strawberries ( well most of the berries really aside from blueberries) . I have read in several places not to introduce them until 1 year but I also see them in the prepackaged foods for 8 month olds.

Peanut butter, again not for a year but other places say the earlier the better now. I haven't given it directly but also haven't been avoiding it around her either.

I know this is because they are big allergy risks. I ment to ask all this at the 6 month appt but of course forgot ( really need to bring a list next time). Just curious what others have been told from their doctors. 
  • Options
    A lot of docs are saying to introduce things like peanut butter earlier than 1 now.  I think it depends on if there's allergies already/fam history though.  I haven't done peanut butter yet,  but I just keep forgetting :) I know some babies on this board have had it though!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    My doctor is in the earlier the better camp. Apparently new research is supporting this. As @hejo2016 pointed out, if there is some sort of family allergy history that might change on when you can introduce these foods.

We gave LO peanut butter and strawberries at 6 months and recently a little bit of scrambled egg. 

This article has links to some of the studies.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/05/508348588/new-guidelines-tell-parents-when-to-introduce-babies-to-peanut-products
  • Options
    lilaroslilaros member
    edited May 2017
    Our doctor is also in the earlier is better group. She requested we try peanuts before his 9 Month appointment so we introduced peanuts at 7 months and it went fine. My best friends son is 6 days older than mine but has an egg allergy. Once they found out about his egg allergy, her doctor had her introduce peanuts right away (4.5 months). I guess the research now says that if their predisposed to allergies the earlier they're introduced to something, the less likely they are to become allergic. Her son doesn't appear to be allergic to peanuts so I guess it's true in her case.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Does anyone feel like they need to entertain their LO to eat?  Towards the middle or end of my LOs meal he seems to lose interest in eating. I end up singing songs or making funny noises to get his attention so I can get a few more spoonfuls in. He sometimes gives me mixed signals. He'll open his mouth but also start to squirm in his chair so I'm not sure if he wants more or if he just wants out of his high chair. I'm not trying to feed him excessive amounts of food and there are days he eats all his solids and milk with no problem, but it seems like there are more days in the week where he struggles to finish his bottles and solids. He still doesn't have any teeth so some of this may be due to teething. I also read that around 8-10 months some babies start to reject being spoon fed and prefer to feed themselves, more along the lines of baby led weaning. Anyone do purées and table food and notice their LOs like feeding themselves better? 
  • Options
    We do a lot of large chunks of food and let her self feed, probably 90% of the time. She def let's me know when she doesn't want any purées and I don't push it. It's not a big deal at this point. Babies know when they do/don't want food, I'd just follow his cues!
  • Options
    Sleeping through the night????? ha! Luke used to sleep through the night every night months ago. I'm not sure at what point he stopped but it was long enough ago that I don't even remember when or how it happened. He still wakes every 3-4 hours to eat and I know it isn't him just needing something to fall back to sleep because he drinks 7 ounces at a time. I thought perhaps his milk wasn't doing enough for him so I made sure he had solids for breakfast and dinner and he still woke every 3-4 hours. With him having a morning and after noon nap that kind of breaks up the 3 hour feedings a bit but he still consumes more than 32 ounces a day. Dr. doens't seem to care and says that if he drinks a full bottle when he wakes then give to him. He is a nice round baby so I know he isn't starving. I suspect he is going to be lean and muscular like his daddy. That is the only conclusion I can come to with how much he consumes! haha
  • Options
    jln27jln27 member
    So I know I kind of vanished after that post, but I did figure out the problem. She's teething! Four of her top teeth are coming in all at once (two of them just poked out today) and the signs started around the time she stopped sleeping so well at night.

She has good nights and bad nights now that I know what the problem is. Lots of teething toy time, soft solids, and Tylenol when it's really bad. I'm hoping she goes back to sleeping easily once the teeth are out more and not bothering her so much!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm dreading teething! That sucks!
  • Options
    So how many ounces of milk/formula are you sending to daycare at this point? Anyone started whole milk? 
    I haven't cut much of the milk, just added more solids. I don't remember what I did w my older kids (ha!)
  • Options
    I haven't changed the amount of milk he gets. He still gets offered about 29 ounces, but he typically drinks 20-25 ounces a day. I'm hesitant to cut milk. Although he usually eats an ok amount it's not a ton so I want to make sure he gets enough calories. I always offer food first to encourage eating and then milk.

We haven't started whole milk yet, but I think we will next week. My plan is to put one ounce of whole milk in his bottle and each week increase it by one ounce. 
  • Options
    I can't remember either! I know I switched right at 1 year...took away the bottles and switched just like that. But I don't think I'll be doing that this time. Ellie is just starting to get teeth but she eats well. I'm nervous about her getting all the nutrients she needs from food. And I'm having my surgery 3 days after her birthday. I'll probably do the switch after I've recovered. I think that will make it easier for everyone that will be helping care for her in that time.
  • Options
    Sounds like we're similar then. I'm not really overly antsy to cut the milk either. I didn't do whole milk until 14ish months with my older. Mainly because I had enough boob so I figured why not. I'll prbly do the same this time too.
  • Options
    Who else has plans on taking the bottle away, and how are you going to do that? 

Lo lo gets a small bottle after meals...but we also give him a small bottle right before nap and bed. I feel like those will be tough to transition out of. 
  • Options
    lilaroslilaros member
    edited August 2017
    My husband and I were talking about cutting out bottles once he hits a year. I'm nervous only because he isn't really great with sippy cups yet. He cannot figure out the miracle 360 cup at all. Straw cups are definitely better but still hit or miss.
    Bryce has a dairy protein allergy so we will probably stick to breast milk for a little while longer. Can't wait until he out grows that. I am so over pumping!
  • Options
    @Laraeq my lo isn't great at his sippy either so I'm hesitant/nervous about dropping the bottle. 

We tried a straw one, but I feel like it's too hard for him to suck water up. 
  • Options
    When we do get rid of the bottle we will be going to the munchkin cup with the weighted straw. X already had that mastered for his water so it won't be hard to transition for milk I hope. We tried it a couple months ago but he wouldn't take his milk from the cup. Plus he loves his milk warmed up. He will take every other drink cold but his breastmilk he will oy take warmed up. 

On another note, what is everyone feeding their LOs? We are having a hard time figuring out what to give X. We were doing baby food but he is showing disinterest in those, mainly the veggie ones. He loves the fruit ones. He only has two teeth but is a master at eating pretty much anything you give him. At dinner he gets whatever we are eating and breakfast is usually a banana or cereal bar. Lunch is hit and miss for us. I'm just not sure what to give him.
  • Options
    I basically feed Ellie what we eat. I've been adding more veggies to our diet though! Traditional Joe's has a lot of veggies precut and easy for their little hands to hold. I just steam them and we all eat up. She loves meat!
  • Options
    We do a straw cup and will eventually just use it for milk and water. LO is fine w a sippy too, but I like the foogo thermos brand straw cups because it keeps everything cold for so long.
    For foods, I try to do as much veggies as possible and healthy fats. I've been making eggs "muffins" in the mini muffin tin for daycare. Usually put puréed greens and veggies and cheese in it. We do a lot of pb on stuff, like bananas, tortillas, English muffins. Tons of eggs, over easy, boiled, whatever. Full fat yogurt, add in fruit purée or even veggie purée. Add in baby oats. Roasted veggies, pastas w butter, beans, re fried beans w cheese... those are all my go to's. As well as meats, kid loves protein.
    Heres an egg muffin recipe. Tons on Pinterest 

https://creativeandhealthyfunfood.com/easy-breezy-super-healthy-breakfast-egg-muffins/

• Options
    @hejo2016 those egg muffins look yummy! I'm going to have to do that for LO. I made some banana pancakes with leftover baby cereal I had and out extras in the freezer. They are easy to reheat for a quick breakfast. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    LO does not have a big appetite in the morning so we always do something super easy since it's very hit or miss on how much he eats. I'll usually make one of these: English muffin with butter and jam, waffle with peanut butter, mini bagel with cream cheese

Even though it's breakfast-ish, I frequently will make him scarambled eggs with hashbrowns for lunch or dinner. Other things he typically eats are spinach/potato nuggets (Dr. Pragers brand) pasta or mac and cheese with added veggies, polenta, butternut squash or sweet potato spiralized into noodles with a butter sauce and some veggies. 

I feel badly, but LO does not eat meals with us all the time. I tend to like to eat my breakfast and lunch during his naps-times, and he's sleeping by the time H gets home, so his dinner is much earlier than ours. On the weekends we eat together (mostly) just not so much on weekdays.

Id like to get better at giving LO what we eat for dinner. He only eats with his hands (not spoon fed), and many times I feel like what we eat isn't easy to pick up, or it might be too flavorful (spicy, garlicky, saucy). 
  • Options
    I give E a bottle if she refuses food. She will typically eat 4-5 meals a day. 2 are 2+ oz of purees, and the others are what ever she will take off my plate. She takes a bottle in the night, usually 8-10 oz worth. For all her daytime 'snacks' or with food we give her a sippy cup. She has picked it up fairly quick. 

With L, we just skipped over purees. He never had any interest in them. He now gets to practice his spoon/fork skills with them 1-2 times a day, as a 2 yo. He had issues with learning the sippy cups. So we took away all bottles for 3 days. He learned really quickly.

Remember babies will NOT starve themselves. They will learn, it just might take a bit. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    Thanks ladies. Today since I was off, I gave Xavier a slice of turkey, blueberries, and a cheese stick for lunch. He ate it up. I put him in his high chair while I worked on wedding invitations and he did just fine. Hopefully this is the start of a routine that works.
  • Options
    We feed B all the same stuff we eat minus things like greasy pizza or fast food. For lunch, frozen veggies are easy to prepare. Deli meat is also easy but I try to pick that up from the butcher so it doesn't have all the nitrates. He's been into pasta lately so at the beginning of the week I made a bunch of whole wheat rigatoni. I pull a handful out of the Tupperware and add the a teaspoon of pesto right before serving. Corn on the cob is another recent favorite (with only 4 teeth!). I think mostly because it's fun. He also eats a great deal of hummus. 

@BabyBoyH92016 I wouldn't worry about things being to spicy or bold of a flavor. We still give stuff like that to our son and he happily eats it all. In fact, at this Burmese place we like, there is a chicken dish that my husband loves but I won't eat because it's too spicy. We gave some to Bryce and he could not get enough. He loved it. 
  • Options
    I agree on the spicy/flavors. I don't tone it down for the baby or kids. 
  • Options
    So I tried giving Dylan some whole milk today with one of his meals...it's was a no go. He made a disgusted face and threw his sippy cup on the floor. Lol I guess we will have to work on that one 
    BabyFruit Ticker