September 2016 Moms
Options

Feeding thread

Re: Feeding thread

• Options
    We do solids twice a day. Usually oatmeal or a fruit for breakfast and then a veggie at dinner time. He loves eating his solids. He usually breast feeds every 3  hours which is actually really nice compared to the every 2 he was eating before 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's hit or miss with us. Depends on how busy we are. But I've noticed she isn't eating as much since she has thrown up twice. I made a bunch of food and froze it for her. She doesn't even eat one cube of food at a sitting anymore. She lets me know when she is done. She just won't open her mouth when I show her the spoon. A pouch of food she'll eat about half. She already wants to feed herself so it's messy, lol. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How many of you guys are still feeding your LO in the middle of the night. I don't know when it's ok to drop the night feedings. Sometimes he seems hungry but most times it seems like he is just comfort nursing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I still do one nighttime feeding. He nurse really well during those feedings so I don't think he is comfort feeding.
  • Options
    Still doing one to two feedings as well. I'm sure one is for comfort. The other is for her thunder thighs :wink:
  • Options
    Hahaha thunder thighs....Love it
  • Options
    BabyBoyH92016BabyBoyH92016 member
    edited April 2017
    We still do one feeding. He goes to bed pretty early (between 6-7) so even though he still gets feed once, he's doing a really long stretch without eating. I don't have plans to drop the feeding until I talk to his pediatrician at his 9month appointment. If he gets up more than once we will soothe.

• Options
    I still do either 1 or 2 middle of the night feedings. He nurses a ton when I get home. I think it's because he eats very little during the day and tries to make up for when I come home. He will try and comfort nurse all night long if I let him, but I am trying to pull him off and lay him back down. It doesn't always work out though. 
  • Options
    Molly doesn't eat MOTN anymore. She sleeps through so that feeding was eliminated. 
  • Options
    Usually a middle of the night and an early morning feed here. But like Laraeq, she'll comfort feed all night sometimes if I let her. She thinks she needs to nurse to fall asleep at night only and I need to break that habit. But I feel bad when she cries too much because it wakes up my older daughter.
  • Options
    That's the problem I'm running into. I didn't know if i created a problem because it's so easy to just nurse him in the middle of the night when we wakes up to get him back asleep but he is beginning to expect that and now won't go back to sleep unless i feed him.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yup. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to let her cry while comforting her in other ways to get her past it. I'm so mad at myself for letting it happen!
  • Options
    jln27jln27 member
    I wish I didn't have to do night feedings anymore... I usually do at least three, not even one.

The weird thing is, she was moving towards eliminating night feeds around 4ish months. After bedtime, she'd sleep for six hours, feed, then sleep for six more hours. I thought for sure we'd be eliminating that and sleeping through the night by 6 months. Instead she went backwards.

It goes like this most days:
    12:00-1:00AM: Nurse back to sleep
    4:00-5:00AM: Nurse back to sleep
    7:00AM: Nurse, quiet playtime in our bedroom
    8:00AM: Cereal/oatmeal and fruit
    9:00-10:00AM: Nurse, then nap
    11:00AM-12:00PM: Wake up from nap, nurse, veggie for lunch (sometimes veggie + meat), playtime
    3:00PM: Nurse, nap
    5:00PM: Wake up, nurse, playtime downstairs
    6:00PM: Veggie for dinner
    6:30PM: Bathtime, massage, then story
    7:00PM: Nurse to sleep, usually takes an hour
    10:00PM: Nurse back to sleep

I offer the breast first, wait an hour, do solids, wait an hour, and nurse her to sleep for naps/bedtime. She's almost constantly eating. Her longest nap is the afternoon one (usually 3-5, sometimes 2-4) and sometimes she'll wake up at 9:00PM or not fall asleep until 9:30PM and then wake up at 11PM, 12AM, 2AM, etc. I don't know what happened. She's eating more than ever but still wakes up constantly at night to eat. She gets water at every solid feeding time to help prevent constipation and doesn't act like she's in pain/tummy ache. She just wants to eat. Forever.

I know nursing to sleep is controversial. But she's my only baby, so I don't mind doing it. I just wish I could get her to sleep through the night! She was doing so well when she was younger! Sometimes the schedule gets messed up if we go out for a drive, appointment, or a walk, but for the most part it stays the same, and no matter what we do during the day she still wakes up 3+ times at night.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Are you sure she is truly hungry during the night? It seems to have regressed at the same time I noticed the separation anxiety kicking in for our LO. Does she self sooth back to sleep at all or does she need the nursing to get back to sleep? 

My LO also takes a bottle at bedtime which is her dad's time with her. She defanately gets more in the bottle than she would if I nursed her. She generally sleeps 10 hrs a night. 

I am by no means experienced here, I am also a FTM. Maybe some of the STMs will be able to help you out. 
  • Options
    Yeah, it might be just comfort nursing. I've noticed the same thing. LO is waking more now than she had at like 5mo. She's still in our room (anyone else with babe still in room w you?), so I don't want to lay there and listen to her cry. I'd rather just give her my boob and everyone goes back to sleep.
    Bad habit, prbly. But it'll change again. It's a phase. It's all a phase  :p
  • Options
    I was also going to suggest trying a bottle for bedtime feeding, or maybe pumping to see how many ounces she eating right before bedtime.  
  • Options
    @jln27 I'm in the same boat, but every night is different. Sometimes it is up around 1 and 4 and sometimes it is every 2 hours. I try not to nurse her every time, but she will cry and wake up my older daughter. She is in school so I'd rather let the baby nurse. As Hejo2016 said, it is just a phase. They are 7/8 months already, time flies!! I think I'll be waiting until summer so I can break the nursing habit and get her sleeping in her crib in her room.  (I'm cosleeping which I swore I wouldn't do but things happen). I'm only nursing at night so I really don't want to switch to bottles but I'm thinking about it because she spits up when she nurses but not when she has a bottle. So, while I have no advice, I understand your pain! Are you working?
  • Options
    X still sleeps in our room and will probably until he is a year old. His room is across the house from ours and I'm not ready for him to be that far away yet. @molosmiles we cosleep from time to time, something I swore I would never do as well. I have found we all sleep better/more when we do cosleep.
  • Options
    Moms who are nursing and bottle feeding....How much are you giving your LOs during the day and at bedtime? I'm wondering if LO should be getting more from the bottle,before bed to help him sleep but I don't want to over feed him!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We've never done more than 4oz bottles. That's at daycare though, we do boob before bed.
  • Options
    @drabong88 I nurse every 2-3 hours during the day so maybe 3 - 3.5 ounces ( aside from the first feed of the morning that would be more ) at the most each time I would guess. But at bedtime we give her a 6.5- 7 ounce bottle that she sucks right down. If she has nursed too close to bedtime or has eaten a  lot of solids at dinner she will just not finish the bottle. I just gradually increased the bottle amount over time as she seemed to want more, but honestly I setteled on that amount as it is what my storage containers hold and it makes it super simple to just heat one up and throw it all in a bottle at night without measuring or prefilling bottles! 

• Options
    We give X 6oz bottles. Sometimes he slams them down sometimes he only takes 4-5 oz. 6oz is what my pump bags hold so like @jellybiehn said it is just easier to grab and make it. He seems satisfied with 6 oz. Plus he is eating solids three to four times a day after his bottles.
  • Options
    Every bottle is between 5-6 ounces he gets four bottles during the day and one MOTN. 
  • Options
    Good morning moms, just a quick question about texture. My LO is 8 months now. There are some recipes with brown rice I would like to try in her age rage section, and I noticed that a lot of the 8-10 month old pre packaged foods have things like rice and barely. The recipe just doesn't mention the texture, if I have to purée it or if cooking the rice twice makes it soft enough to eat as is. I haven't used the pouches so I am curious as to the texture of them. Really I'm just a FTM who is slightly paranoid about choking, an am looking for advice on what others are doing. Thanks!
  • Options
    @jellybiehn I am wondering the answer to this too! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know we've had a pouch with barley in it and my guess is that it was puréed. I usually try all the pouches and I definitely couldn't feel the barley. It wasn't as smooth as the other purées and had a little bit of texture to it. 
  • Options
    LO is a little over 7 months. I have been EBF pretty much until now. I will BF him and he still seems hungry so I'll make him a bottle of formula and he'll drink 3-4 oz! I'm so sad! I feel like our BFing days are coming to an end and I don't know what to do. He had a check up at the end of April and had LOST weight since March! The nurse didn't seem too concerned since he had a cold, but even with a cold I don't think he should be losing weight over a month! Any advice? Are you guys doing half milk half solids at this point? He's a really happy baby and looks really healthy!
  • Options
    @Sbrown721 bummer on the weight loss! We do barely any solids at this point. Boobmilk/formula should still be the main nutrition. You could def add some more calorie dense foods in though! Avocado, full fat yogurt, egg yolk, roast veggies in coconut oil.
  • Options
    @sbrowns08 Have you ever pumped to see how much he gets from you? I have supplemented with formula for awhile now. I don't think you have to pick one or the other and you can continue to do both as long as it makes sense for you and your lo. I wouldn't try to increase solids to replace milk. Your lo should still get the same amount of BM/formula. 
  • Options
    Yeah, what the others said. The main source of nutrition and calories should be coming from milk / formula still. You could increase solids intake, but still be giving mostly milk or formula.

I went through a period of decreased milk production - Molly would cry during a nursing session. I'd pull out more milk from the fridge and she would drink that. I felt terrible. You could try to increase your production by increasing your nursing sessions / keep babe at the breast as much as possible even if not nursing / keep pumping / drink lots of water etc. It helped me a lot to have her close for a whole weekend. 
  • Options
    @drabong88 Well I just went for it and made a few recipes with rice. The Peachy Rice and Yogurt one turned out good. I did end up blending it as the brown rice didn't get as mushy as I would have liked even after cooking twice. I did try to get a little creative and made some chicken and rice with blueberries...made a lovely bland grey paste! I think I may have saved it by adding maple syrup but I don't think I will be using that combo again....She did enjoy all the taste tests though. Really this kid will eat anything! 
  • Options
    Okay STM question about weaning. I plan on nursing until he is a year old but was curious as to how to go about the weaning process and when I should start it. As is he only nurses off of me twice a day when I work, which is 4 days and weeks, and when I'm off he nurses 4 times. He will be a year in just shy of 4 months.
  • Options
    @jenkar01 great question. I'm interested in this as well. Do we just start replacing a breastfeeding session with a bottle of formula? I'd like LO to be completely weaned at a year as well.
  • Options
    My first two kids weaned over a year, so it was a bit different. But yeah, solids eventually took the place of boob and my supply just naturally decreased. If you wean off boob prior to a year, you'd have to replace that with formula.
  • Options
    Oh no we have a freezer stock pile of milk to where if he self weans before his first birthday he will still have breastmilk. Benefits of over producing. 
  • Options
    Luke wasn't doing so well on solids so we switched him back to just his goat milk formula for now. He is barely 7 months right now though so there is plenty of time for all of that.
  • Options
    @jennlynn777 we're doing barely any solids still too. Many days she doesn't get any.  Partly me being lazy/picky about what foods I give her.
  • Options
    @hejo2016 @jennlynn777 Me too! She likes it but isn't eating much so I've been wasting so much food. The lemon juice in the prepared baby food gave her the worst diaper rash so I pretty much have to make her food, which I planned on doing anyways. But still it cuts down on options. I have a bunch in the freezer. She has been liking the puffs and melts so she eats those while we eat dinner now.

• Options
    X loves his baby food. We do the Gerber baby food because ingredients are just water and the food of choice. He loves it. Recently tried sweet potato puffs and of course he loves them. This kid loves sweet potatoes and squash. Plus we switched him to multigrain cereal and he devours it. He'll eat pretty much anything you put in front of him which why I am surprised he is so skinny. Doesn't help he is constantly on the go lol.
  • Options
    @jenkar01 my LO is the same. Loves her solids and will eat anything and everything...and still fits into her 3 month jeans! Seriously she is worse than the dog if I try to eat my lunch in front of her without giving her food first!