September 2016 Moms
Options

Feeding thread

Re: Feeding thread

• Options
    @jenkar01 Been there!!
  • Options
    Yup! I would love to take advantage of my LO sleeping long stretches at night but I would really regret it if I skipped pumping also. I have been trying to set an alarm to wake me for pumping.... so far I am 0 for 4 for either hearing it or actually getting up, so I'm a little late each time and I pay for it too!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What's the longest you ladies go without pumping? My little guy is now sleeping 4/5 hour stretches. I'm most concerned about my supply going down. I used to wake up and pump after 2/3 hours but between pumping, and then feeding him an hour or two later it was exhausting. 
  • Options
    @jellybiehn I don't pump at night but usually pump right before bed but for some reason I didn't last night. That will never happen again. My boobs have never been so engorged or hard before. I was leaking all night.

@BabyBoyH92016 I only pump in the morning and before bed. And my supply doesn't seem any less because of it. I tend to get 7-10oz in the morning and 5-7oz before bed.
  • Options

I pretty much pump and bottle feed 80% of the time so I always seem overly concerned about having extra bottles in the fridge just in case. While my LO is sleeping longer and skipping a feed, if I still get up and pump then it is surplus stock for me. Its really weird but I feel like I need to stockpile... maybe new mom anxiety or something.

I try to pump every 3-4 hours, and I think 5 or 6 may have been the longest stretch in between - overnight or fussy baby not giving me any pumping time.

• Options
    Yeah I understand that since you are pumping and bottle-feeding. I breastfeed so not too worried about having a stock pile for feedings yet. Although I do have quite the stock pile in the freezer for when I go back to work in 6 weeks. Our freezer has been taken over by breast milk lol. He gets one bottle a day right now in the evening so daddy gets bonding time plus so he can get use bottles. Will probably increase it to more a day once it gets closer to me going back to work.
  • Options
    Dang I think I'm the only one not pumping. He is exclusively on the breast. I'm trying to regulate these puppies because my supply is in overdrive. It seems to be working for the most part. I am also a SAHM now so maybe thats why I haven't bothered to pump. Are you guys stocking for supply or just simply to regulate?
  • Options
    I've only pumped when my nipples were too sore to nurse. I need to start storing for when I go back to work, but I won't go back until December. I don't know how long it freezes for. I still need to research. But for now she's on the breast. I'm curious about the reasons for pumping too. 
  • Options
    @jennlynn777 I've been pumping in addition to breastfeeding for supply. I'm not sure if I'm going back to work, but there are a few days coming up where I won't be available for on demand breastfeeding. I'm standing up in a wedding in 2 weeks, and just can't have him with me all day.

Also, I'm trying to increase the amount I pump ( I was just doing it once a day) to increase my production. Towards the end of the day my production seems to slow and my little guy gets fussy. On a few occasions after an evening feeding,  I've had to give him a few ounces of milk I had previously pumped.
  • Options
    @jennlynn777 I haven't pumped yet at all either. My pump is still in the box. I go back to work in January so I will need to start at some point, but I'm going by the advice of a lactation consultant on when to start - she didn't want me pumping until after Molly's first month. 
  • Options

I pump out of preference really. I have inverted nipples so latching was tricky in the beginning, ended up with cracked/ bleeding nipples, used the shields and then pumped for healing time, then really enjoyed the flexibility it gave for my husband to do feedings as well.

I am really lucky as she will still breastfeed without any nipple confusion right now, so I am still breastfeeding when we both feel like it. I think the pumping is improving my nipples as well so breastfeeding is becoming much easier as well.

• Options
    @jennlynn777 breastmilk is good for 6 months-1 year in a freezer. If kept in deep freezer it is closer to a year. Good for 4-6 hours at room temp, in the fridge for 3-5 days, and thawed milk should be used within 24 hours if being thawed. I know a lot about breast milk storage from working in the NICU. And like I said I'm stocking for supply. I work 4 days a week so he will need a good supply for when I go back to work. Luckily in laws will be watching him so they will have access to all my milk in case I don't thaw enough.

@rock1cherry I didn't start pumping until Xavier was 4 weeks old. LC suggested that and so I stuck to it. Her reasoning was so that I would establish a good milk supply and get a good routine with him.
  • Options
    @jenkar01 Molly has her 4 week appt next week so the LC may say I'm good to go. I'd be excited for it too so my DH can feed her too. He gets upset when she cries to be fed and he's holding her. She is hungry a lot of the time, but he takes it personally like she hates him. I don't think he really feels that strongly, but I know it would make me sad if my baby cried anytime I held her. I know she's just hungry though. But that will be special for him and her. :)
  • Options
    @rock1cherry that was one reason I was happy to start pumping. My SO was so excited to finally feed Xavier. I know he felt the same way your husband does so it is nice he can feed him a bottle from time to time.
  • Options
    I've only pumped a handful of times so far. Mainly so I can go to the grocery store alone or out to dinner. I also have over supply and don't want to encourage it.  I go back to work in late Nov though and need LO to start practicing with the bottle. 
  • Options
    @skirtandsandals Congrats! I also have been pumping like crazy on top of breastfeeding my lil guy. I've had to give him a few extra ounces of pumped milk at night. Well today was the first day he was satisfied with all feedings and didn't want any extra from the bottle. I also tried "power pumping" tonight for the first time. Hope that gives me a little more so I can build my stash. 
  • Options
    Xavier had a rough night the other night. He fed every hour to two hours through the night. Mommy had a bit of a meltdown at one point. Only way I got sleep in the end was to hold while we slept. Best hour and a half asleep ever lol. Last night was much better. Also found out we created a nighttime routine without noticing. We went to an annual party last night and were out past his bed time and realized cues he did at bedtime. Now we know and will be making sure to have proper items for next time.
  • Options
    What bottles are yall using? we use the natural flow dr brown and debating the new "options" bottles. any thoughts?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I put a variety on my registry. I used Dr. Brown with my first and still find them to be the best. We are using the wide ones this time though. 
  • Options
    We use avent natural. LO gets 1 bottle at bedtime from DH. I use the first flow nipple, which is their slowest flow because he was trying to eat too fast and gagging with the faster flow. I also read that using the slowest flow nipples reduces the risk of nipple confusion and so far we have had no problems. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jenkar01jenkar01 member
    edited October 2016
    We use Tommee Tippee closer to nature. He does great with them. We use the slowest flow and sometimes he can still down it in no time. He only gets one or two a day. 
  • Options
    Our son gets one bottle a day and we're using Como Tomo bottles. They were recommended by the lactation consultant who taught my breastfeeding class because they're soft and simulate a breast better than other bottles. In theory, that makes it easier for alternating back and forth between breast and bottle feeding. We also have Dr. Brown bottles but I haven't opened them up yet. I figure if the Como Tomos are working okay, I'd rather not have to clean all those Dr. Brown parts.
  • Options
    Okay breastfeeding moms I have a question. When breastfeeding do you nurse from both sides or do you just do one side? If you do nurse from both sides do you limit how long on each breast? 
  • Options
    Depends @jenkar01 if she falls asleep while eating I will burp her and if she's awake still I will put her on the other breast. If she's asleep I will just snuggle til she wakes hungry and offer the other. She also cluster feeds at times so sometimes I go back and forth multiple times. I don't time anything. I was in the first week but the LC said not to bother anymore. 
  • Options
    @rock1cherry Do you do the same thing for nighttime feed as well?
  • Options
    I feed on one side. I don't time it but I do try to keep track (I use an app) it's harder to keep track at night because I drift off too. Right now she's going through a growth spurt and is still hungry after she finishes one side so I offer the other. She'll eat 15 - 20 minutes on one side and if she takes he other it's 5-10 minutes so I start on that side next time. I have an over active let down so feeding on one side per feeding was plenty until now.
  • Options
    I only feed from one side most times. Occassionall he has ate from one side and Has still been fussy so I put him on the other. Most of the time he only eats for 10 to 15 minutes and won't open his mouth to eat anymore. He does like to eat every hour or 2 during the day. But at night is sleeping anywhere from 4 to 6 hour stretches.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @jenkar01 she cluster feeds from like 10-12:45 so yes I do. She will wake up again (if I'm lucky) at like 4-5am. I will feed her again. I usually offer both if she will take it. She feeds a long time per side - 20-25 mins per side. I'm going between using a shield and not using one. 
  • Options
    jenkar01jenkar01 member
    edited October 2016
    Okay that is about what Xavier does. He nurses usually about 20 mins a side. I just wasn't sure if it was normal or not.
  • Options
    rawarrrawarr member
    edited October 2016
    How often are your LOs waking during the night to eat? Normally ds will wake every 3 hours to eat, but last night he only woke up once! Not sure if I should feel lucky or concerned...
  • Options

She still eats from both sides right now but I am transitioning from mostly pumping to breastfeeding this week so I think my supply is just catching up. She is feeding every 2 hours and I used to pump every 4 hours so I think she needs both to equal one bottle until my supply catches up--hopefully soon, to give one side a break! I haven't been timing either, but she does seem to be about 20 min per side as well.

I know I'm just 6 weeks in and we have months of this ahead of me, but I would really just like to be one of those mom who just tucks LO under her shirt and feeds like its nothing already! I bought one of those nursing scarves, but I can just picture myself trying to discretely feed somewhere while fighting with her arms and fixing the latch and keeping her awake.....I'm gonna have to be under the scarf as well! LOL... maybe one day we will be smooth enough at this. I'm just hoping its before I start visiting my SO's out of town family.

• Options
    @rawarr I am in the same boat! 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep after waking every 2-3. I rolled over freaking out because he was silent and hadn't woken up... gave a bath before bed for the first time last night and he wasn't happy with us but hey... 6 hours! And woke this morning not screaming to eat. 
  • Options
    Xavier was all over place but the last couple nights he's going about 3 to 4 hours. He was going maybe 2 to 3 closer to two prior. I have changed how I feed him though so I wonder if that has something to do with it. I was timing him with his feedings and I only let him go 20 minutes per breast. But now I am letting him just feed until he's done on one breast and if he wants to take the other breast he can take the other breast. That seems to be helping out because he does seem to sleep longer between feedings.
  • Options
    @jellybiehn I feel the same way about breastfeeding in public. Right I feed him on a breastfeeding pillow (my breast friend) and feel like I'm pretty much topless in my house all the time. Im not confident enough to feed him in public. I just don't think it would be easy and would end with him screaming. Once he is a little bigger and sturdier maybe I'll feel differently, but for now it sucks since I'll only leave the house with him if I just feed him and have a window of time before he'll be hungry. 
  • Options
    @devilishturtles I woke up freaking out too! It's funny because I know I should be happy he let me get so much sleep, but I'm so used to him waking up every three hours that I ended up waking up to check on him about every 20 minutes anyways. I am one paranoid mommy! 
  • Options
    I breastfed in public last week went I had to go to the Dr. for mastitis. He wasn't even 2 weeks yet but I didn't really see another option. It didn't seem to bother or surprise anybody and the nurse helped me carry my things while he was still nursing. I'm thinking its fairly normal to see these days. 
  • Options
    I've breast fed in public too, but I was fumbling around. I'm hoping to get better at it! I'm also using the nipple shields which makes it a little trickier. I'm trying to wean her, but I've noticed when I don't use them we both end up wet! The nipple shield kind of holds the excess liquid I guess. I put a little blanket between us to soak it up. Does this happen to anyone else? At home it's not a big deal but I don't want to walk around soaked after a feeding in public. 
  • Options
    @molosmiles same thing happens to me with the nipple shield. Xavier is six weeks old and I still use the shield. My breast are huge and he is still small that he needs the help. I always put something to catch the dribble because he still dribbles with the shield.

I've breast fed in public a lot. I just use my udder cover and go at it. Yes I still fumble a bit but we are both a work in progress.