September 2016 Moms
Options

Feeding thread

Re: Feeding thread

• Options
    We did recently increase his nipple flow in his bottles. Maybe we'll switch between the two so he doesn't wean just yet. I love nursing him and he nurses great during his night feeding. It is the daytime feedings we have issues with. We do have some prunes we got this weekend. If he starts acting constipated we will definitely try those.
  • Options
    So X is eating better and all but poop is still a little more formed than I'd like. Thinking prunes will be had tomorrow.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah my LO had some more formed poop then I would like too. I tried to be better at giving her water today. She really doesn't drink much of it while practicing with her sippy cup, just dribbles it down her really. So I put it in a bottle and she sucked it right down after her solids. Will also be picking up some applejuice and prunes just in case tomorrow too.
  • Options
    My LO loves water after eating solids as well. He won't take it any other time. I have never thought to introduce a sippy cup at this age with any of my kids but I LOVE the idea! I am going to have to go get him one today!
  • Options
    We bought one but still haven't given it to him. He usually eats a bottle then eats some solids. May see if he wants water just randomingly through the day. He loves getting water from my cup.
  • Options
    My LO refuses bottles and will only drink from a sippy! We have the Nuk trainer sippy cup that has the handle on each side. He holds it and feeds himself. He definitely prefers to breastfeed, but he will drink from the sippy!
  • Options
    Dylan drank some water from a straw the other day and it was so fascinated by it. We tried to give him water in a sippy cup but he just got frustrared.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jln27jln27 member
    I offered water in a sippy to Sylvia but she just chewed on it... I took the sippy part off and held it so she could just drink out of the cup and she did great. Thinking of just buying a cup with handles on both sides to let her practice that way, or maybe a straw. She won't take bottles either.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah the sippy cup spout just made her choke on the water so I replaced it with a bottle nipple and it is working better. She loves chewing on it if the water is nice and cold, prolly feels nice on the guns. Really I just have to have to hold it up so she can drink like a little hampster right now but she likes holding the handles, just can't hold it up high enough. 
  • Options
    Just saw the pediatrician and we were given the green light to feed Molly pretty much anything, within reason of course. I'm so excited to try more things. She's only really had veggies so far (green beans, broccoli, peas, carrots, avocados, and squash) so it's pretty exciting!
  • Options
    So Xavier is 7 months old now and been doing great with veggies and rice cereal. I am wanting to introduce new things but not sure what to introduce. I know fruit will be next but has anyone introduced any meats. Also when is it time to introduce finger foods like the puffs and such. FTM and I am not sure what to do. Don't want to overwhelm him but also don't want him to get bored with his food.
  • Options
    @jenkar01 I was going to maybe try some bone broth...not really a solid, but at least a new flavor. I'm a vegetarian and while I don't plan on making my child a vegetarian, I think I'm going to wait until he can chew before giving him any meat. 

From what I recall my pediatrician said finger foods come when they master the pincer grasp (thumb and forefinger). I think that happens around 9 months.
  • Options
    My LO hasn't found anything she doesn't like yet. I usually add fruit or banana to her oatmeal in the morning. Aside from all the usual orange and green veggies she has had applesauce, pears, blueberries, avacado, peaches and frozen grapes in her mesh feeder are always a hit. Made a carrot-apple-mango puree today and going to make a banana-avacado-yoghurt later to try. No meat yet, or any textures as we have yet to see any teeth. Lol maybe I just can't bring myself to puree chicken yet....maybe I'll buy the little jars of the meats. 

Found a great website with a lot of recipes and info on age appropriate foods and allergy triggers wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com 
  • Options
    So Ellie loves to eat but she has thrown up twice after eating. And I don't mean spit up. She has had avocado and bananas on a few occasions. One night I gave her sweet potato (she's had before) and avocado in the same meal and that was the first time she threw up. I told her pediatrician he didnt think too much about it. Then today she had just banana and threw up again . It is THE worst to watch your baby throw up. It was a lot and 4 or 5 times. I called the doctor and he doesn't think it's an allerfy but maybe something digestive. He said to keep feeding her as normal over the weekend and see what she reacts to and we'll talk Monday. But from researching online it could be related to a latex allergy. Anyone have experience with that?
  • Options
    Oh and I've been loving babyfoodie.com for homemade baby food ideas. 
  • Options
    We've done ground turkey,(just cooked in a pan, not puréed) roasted potatoes, roasted beets, zucchini mixed w chard. I've seasoned everything as the same as how we like it. We also do big chunks, so she held a big piece of roasted beet and fed herself (baby led weaning is what it's called). Veggies were roasted in coconut oil. Lentils, she's had those too.
    I was just reading about the bone broth for babies the other day. Another idea is egg yolk. Haven't done that because I need to buy eggs :)
  • Options
    @jellybiehn I was actually on that site today. Going to give a few things a try I think.
  • Options
    @hejo2016 does your LO have teeth? Im nervous to try anything but pureed food until he gets some teeth 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I also recommend the cookbook 'starting fresh' by Tyler Florence. It was given to me by a friend and has been great. It starts with the single item purees and goes right to meals you can all eat together. It's where I got the avocado banana pineapple pudding recipe, and it was a big hit yesterday! 
  • Options
    @hejo2016 I've read about baby led weaning but was too nervous to try. Did your lo gag a lot when you began? What foods did you start with? Also, do you feel like your lo eats a sufficient amount. I would think my lo would gum the food like a teether, but ultimately would lose interest and not eat anything. 
  • Options
    No teeth! And no gagging! We do do some puréed foods, but I also put something for her to self feed in her tray. Keeps her busy! 
    Food before age 1 is just for fun, boobmilk/formula provides all they need! 
    We started with the roasted veggies first for her to self feed. Golden beets to avoid alarming poop from normal beets ;) You know how hard their gums are when you put your fingers in their mouth, they can totally " chew" soft foods and it's a great way to let them taste new things and develop finger dexterity!
  • Options

Lol @hejo2016 yes, I had my own alarming poop moment until I remembered that I had fed her blueberries with her oatmeal. I tried to find golden beats last week as I wanted to try a golden beat and apricot purée but couldn't find them. Will have to shop around I think.

• Options
    That sounds yummy @jellybiehn!
  • Options
    @molosmiles I forgot to mention the latex allergy thing. Is that because of banana do you think? My son is allergic to kiwi, and supposedly that's also related to a latex allergy. Each time he had kiwi, he puked more until we figured it out. Sounds similar to your LO?
    Hes never really been around latex, bandaids I guess? He's fine w those.
  • Options
    @hejo2016 it's been bananas and avocado. Vomiting and I'm noticing some bumps on her face. I read kiwis are related so I'll steer clear until I know for sure. She hasn't reacted to latex either but not sure how much of it she's been around, you know. I'm tempted to give it to her again to see if she reacts but I'm too nervous. I don't want to make her sick! She loves to eat and I've been lucky with everything else so I don't think it's digestive.
  • Options
    Are you saying each exposure to kiwi the vomiting was worse? That could explain why she didn't vomit the first time eating each food?
  • Options
    Yeah, each time he ate kiwis, it got worse. I know he ate it once the first time and was fine. Then puked twice more until I figured it out each time I gave it to him after that. 
    I'm tempted to try with him again too but am too scared! Ha! My dad is allergic to kiwi, figured my son prbly won't outgrow it!
  • Options
    Any good combination ideas for green beans? Dylan hated them initially about 3 weeks ago so this time i mixed them with some peas becaus he likes those and he still wouldn't eat them. I was thinking about trying to add apple to it but didn't know if anyone had any other ideas. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe carrots or squash? Haven't tried green beans yet. Was going to make them last weekend but I went a little crazy with the orange foods first. 

Saw a recipe for roasted broccoli with parmesan cheese that may work for green beans also. 
  • Options
    jennlynn777jennlynn777 member
    edited April 2017
    Did anybody see this article on facebook yet?? I figured it would go well in the feeding thread. I was originally trying to decide between the tommee tippee sippy cup and the Nuk brand. Glad I grabbed the Nuk! JFYI for anyone who decides to or is currently using this brand of sippy. I'm sure the design has since changed but just incase you are using an older model from a year ago!

https://www.upliftmore.com/she-was-puzzled-why-her-toddler-kept-getting-sick-but-then-found-the-heartbreaking-reason-behind-it/

• Options
    @hejo2016 have you seen reactions to anything else? I'm going to steer clear of kiwis too just in case!

I saw the article awhile ago about tommee tipee cups, I think they did change their design. But either way it's a good reminder to really Clean and inspect baby cups and toys!

@jellybiehn I cant really think of anything sweet to go with green beans that might make your LO eat, but check out https://www.babyfoode.com/blog/green-bean-profile her pictures are fantastic and she has a lot of great combo ideas. Ones I would never think of!

• Options
    I saw that article as well and X uses Tommee Tippee bottles but we got the Nuk and Munchkin brand for sippy cups.the Tommee Tippee cups still looked to be registered same design at the store so we didn't want to chance it.
  • Options
    @molosmiles nope, he hasn't had any other issues, and he eats both banana and avocado pretty frequently. 
  • Options
    @hejo2016 That's good! Avocado and bananas are regular in my house and so easy to feed baby. I'm a little sad. 
  • Options
    @jennlynn777 thanks for posting! I hadn't heard of this before. We just have a simple cup that is like a bottle right now. It spills easily but is just water right now so its okay. I will look more carefully when I upgrade to a no spill model later. 
  • Options

I know every baby is going to be different, but I am curious as too how much solid food everyone is giving right now?

My LO gets oatmeal with fruit in the morning (anywhere from 2-3 oz ) then 2-3 oz of veggies for lunch. I was thinking of adding a dinner as well. I just don't want to over do it for her little system, but she seems to be a little bottomless pit and will eat anything and everything we give her. She is still nursing every 2-3 hours as well.

Do you guys have set amounts that you feed or just keep it coming until she signals that she is full? Is there such a thing as feeding too much solids at this age?

Thanks guys!

• Options
    I've been trying to offer solids 3 times a day. I let him eat as much as he wants which varies greatly. Right now lo is battling a bad cold so he has very little interest in eating and I'm lucky if he eats solids once a day. When he's done eating he shuts his eyes tightly. It's really cute. Like he's making the food go away if he can't see it. 
  • Options
    Breastmilk or formula should still be the major source of calories/nutrients. So I'm sure you could technically over feed solids, but I assume your baby will stop eating when they're full. I've always breastfed then solids to top her off.
    But I've been bad about doing solids and she's lucky if she gets it once/day... 
  • Options
    Xavier get solids three times a day. Rice cereal in the morning, fruit or veggie in the afternoon, and rice cereal at bedtime feeding. He always gets the food after nursing or bottle so he gets his milk needs met first. He either turns his head when he is done or spits the food out. We usually feed 2-3 tbsp of rice cereal for his meals and one of the small containers of fruit/veggies. Sometimes he will take it all others not so much.
  • Options
    Molly only gets solids once a day (at dinner). Her pediatrician said we didn't need to add any others at this time. So far that's what we are doing.