September 2016 Moms
Options

Feeding thread

Re: Feeding thread

• Options
    jenkar01jenkar01 member
    edited December 2016
    He normally wakes up around 4am for a feeding but the last few days I have heard him stirring between 2:30 and 3 which wakes me up and then I can't fall back asleep until after his feeding. I think he is just adjusting his feeding schedule himself. He was getting up at 3 or 3:30 to eat before but has been going later. I may just need to give it a bit longer and see what happens. He is starting to eat more ounces when he takes a bottle so I wonder if that is playing into it as well. Thanks ladies.
  • Options
    I usually wait until he cries. Dylan's been waking up at 5am the past week and it's hit or miss if he will go back to sleep after or not so I usually don't fall back asleep after he eats 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Molly's been waking up around 5:30-6:30 every day lately. Once in a while she will stir around 2-2:30. I usually just give her the pacifier and rock her back to sleep. If she doesn't go back down then I feed. At the later time I always feed. 
  • Options
    Sbrown721Sbrown721 member
    edited December 2016
    LO will feed off of a boob for what seems like forever. I have read that you know they're finished with a boob when they pull off or fall asleep...LO falls asleep, but is then dream feeding. I feel like I'm just encouraging comfort nursing. I tend to just take him off and move him to the other boob after about 10 minutes if I can tell he's not swallowing anymore. Anyone else have this going on?
  • Options
    @Sbrown721 I think that's pretty common, usually I give my LO 15 min and then move her along if she doesn't seem to be swallowing.
    anyone purposely doing the dream feeds? I feed LO around 11 each night without waking her.  Seems to help her stay sleeping longer. I never did this with my son because he never slept, last thing I wanted to do was risk waking him up. Any I had never heard of it with my oldest. I'm not sure when to stop? Just one day decide I won't do it and see how it goes?
  • Options
    @hejo2016 can't help you there i was never able to do dream feeds with Dylan. I tried a few times but he would just wake up and be so mad that I disturbed his sleep lol. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Sbrown721 Molly is like that too - she takes anywhere from 30-40 mins to feed. A lot of the time I think she's just suckling. I've been trying to speed it up some as I don't want to be up that long when I go back to work. She sleeps well and does well so I don't think it's such a bad thing. 
  • Options
    Luke is eating anywhere from 35-42 ounces a day. I don't remember my girls eating this much. Is this normal??? Should I introduce a solid into his diet soon if he is eating so much??
  • Options
    @jennlynn777 You'll find a variety of answers on the web, and I don't think there is a standard. My LO takes approximately 5-6 ounces and eats six times a day. My pediatrician said to feel free to introduce solids at 4 months. We tried and he wasn't very interested, so we are going to wait a month and try again. He seems to be satisfied with his bottles so I think he's just not ready yet. I would ask your doctor, since they all have different recommendations. 
  • Options
    Ditto to what @BabyBoyH92016 said.
  • Options
    I'm just curious about something. What time do you feed LO bedtime feeding? How often does LO wake up at night to feed? What time does LO usually wake up to eat? Xavier is all over the place lately and wondered what you ladies are dealing with.
  • Options
    @jenkar01 My LO goes to sleep pretty early (between 6:30 and 7) so I'll feed him at let's say 6:30pm. On good nights he sleeps until 4amish...and actually I wake him up by 4am if he hasn't gotten up himself because im up pumping, and then he goes back down until 7:30am

On not so great nights he gets up twice. So if I feed him at 6:30pm, he might get up around 1:30am, and then again at 5:30am, and then up at 7:30am

Not sure why some days it's up one time and other days it's twice. This weekend he's been getting up two times, and now I'm starting to think it has something with being in daycare. At daycare he naps poorly and there's more stimulation so I think he's just really tired. 
  • Options
    @jenkar01 exact same as @BabyBoyH92016 except I do not get up to pump. I need to be better about that. My milk is so regulated that he ends up drinking everything I pump. It seems pointless. I have no supply built up. 

He is starting to teethe this last week (2 teeth in the bottom back - random!) so he is up 2 or 3 times each night. 
  • Options
    I try to shoot for a 730ish bedtime, but it seems like if I miss that window, then she waits until 9 to go down.  I do the dream feed around 11, and then shes usually up around 4 to eat again and back to sleep until 7.  But a lot of nights its just random, occasionally she sleeps through the night, occasionally she's up at 6.
  • Options
    @Sbrown721 My LO drinks everything I pump as well, but for bedtime and nighttime feedings he gets it in a bottle because we find that he sleeps longer stretches. We also like to make sure he is drinking 5-6 ounces, so I pump and then if need be supplement with a little formula. And ever since starting daycare, he really has no interest in nursing so he's been getting bottles. I just don't have time in the morning to try and make him nurse, so I end up pumping. It's such a pain in the butt since it appears as though I've lost the convenience of nursing. Pumping and then bottle feeding is double work, but he seems happy and doing ok with sleeping so I guess I'm stuck doing this.
  • Options
    Well sounds like Xavier is doing about normal then. He goes to bed anywhere between 9-10, we try for earlier but he isn't having that. He gets a bottle at bedtime then usually wakes up around 4 to eat. Sometimes he wakes up around 2ish but doesn't seem hungry just wants to be held for a minute. However the last few days he has been going until 5:30-6 and I'll be honest, kind of freaked me out. I know he will start going longer but he doesn't eat a whole lot during the day. I mean he eats 5 times a day but only takes 4-6 oz and I'm worried that isn't enough. I'm probably just worried for nothing though.
  • Options
    We just pushed her bedtime back and it seemed to help with her sleep even more. We used to put her down with a bottle of pumped milk at 930. She would sleep until 6 usually, sometimes a little earlier. If she wakes up before 6 I can feed her and put her back down for a couple of hours. She doesn't get up in the night to eat...don't hate me!

We put her to bed at 830 last night and she slept right through until 7 am. So we are trying it again tonight to see if it will happen again. I think that may have been a fluke and anticipate her waking around 430- 5 ish for a feed with the earlier bedtime. We will see.

She is breastfed throughout the day and I still get up around 1 am to pump so that we have bottles to feed at bedtime.

Naps have been our struggle but we are getting better. She goes down 2 hours after getting up and passes right out. Afternoon naps are hit and miss but have been getting better since I started listening to her cues and worrying less about the clock! She gets about 2.5 hours each nap. 
  • Options
    Breastfeeding mommas.....have any of you had an issue with your LOs biting down when eating? I think Dylan may be starting to teeth and bit down while eating...and although he doesn't have teeth yet it sure hurt! I'm assuming it's something that I just need to ride out and am sure it will happen again...but any advice ?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh man my LO just did this too! It was quick so I didn't have much of a reaction. With my other two kids I just pulled them off immediately. It was a short lived phase thankfully.
  • Options
    No bites yet, just grabby little hands that like to pinch and scratch! I'm not looking forward to bites....
  • Options
    The pinching and scratching! Ouch. And it's constant. No biting yet here but I'm not looking forward to it.
  • Options
    No pinching or scratching but my LO likes to try to look around while she's latched. I'm not stretch Armstrong, kid! 

She also gets frustrated that my flow is much slower than the bottle. So the LC recommended that I switch from breast to breast frequently so that baby satisfies her super hungry appetite and then settles in to nurse at a slower pace. It works but it's a lot of unlatching and vigorous sucking. Which makes me tender :/ ouch!
  • Options
    I'm not breastfeeding but I still hold him to the breast when I bottle feed him so he still gets the closeness. Even like that he likes to grab and pinch my chest and face. It's ok and cute until his razor talons graze my skin.
  • Options
    So we started giving her rice cereal, she seemed to enjoy it but I think we have to stop. After having it 3 days in a row I noticed a rash on her little bum that looks more allergic than diaper rash. She is not prone to diaper rash and it is in a different area further back as well. No other signs of a food sensitivity, but when I looked it up on the bump there were a lot of moms describing a similar thing after giving rice cereal. Going to stop it and see if the rash goes away. 

Other moms here were saying they skip the rice cereal anyway so I think I will just move on to some veggies once the bum is clear. 

She has her 6 month check up soon so I will show her doc ( yeah I totally took a pic ) to see what she thinks. 

Anyone else have something similar? Could just be coincidence, or just sensitive skin and adjusting to new foods? Or a sensitivity to rice? At least what I read says they usually grow out of it and try the food again later. 

Kinda excited to just skip the cereal and move on to the fun flavors anyway.
  • Options
    @jellybiehn we went straight to solids, but if you are looking for something similar to rice cereal there is baby oatmeal (it's fine like a powder) which will have a similar texture and can be mixed with milk. 

• Options
    I gave Ellie oatmeal instead of rice. There is a lot being said about rice and arsenic (it's naturally in a lot of foods). But I also have given her squash and bananas. It doesn't matter what I give her she LOVES it. I haven't noticed any reactions, so I think you made the right call on stopping. Don't be afraid to try some other foods. If you are breastfeeding you want to make sure it is something high in iron.
  • Options
    STM or mom's who have started solids...what do you do when baby doesn't like a certain veggie/fruit. We gave Dylan carrots sweet potatoe, and peas without any problem but when we gave him green beans the poor guy kept gagging (I don't blame him, I thought it tasted pretty gross too). Do you keep trying to feed them that particular food or just chalk it up as a dislike and dont bother with it again? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I read somewhere to keep offering it but not everyday but like once a week or few days. It said something like sometimes they don't like it in the beginning but like it later. 
  • Options
    My pediatrician gave the same advice as above. Wait a few weeks and offer again. 

If after a few attempts he still dislikes the green beans, you can mix them with something he likes like carrots and see if that helps. 
  • Options
    Xavier wasn't too keen on the peas either. He tolerated carrots but loves sweet potatoes and green beans. Have some homegrown butternut squash we are going to try. He didn't have the reaction yours had but I agree with seeing their personalities come out.
  • Options

Lol, I was expecting the same reaction with the peas because of their color and texture, but she loved them. She hasn't found anything she doesn't like yet. Gong to make some sweet potato today and am assuming it will be a hit. So far butternut squash, carrots, peas, bananas, apples and peaches are a hit. The peaches came out really tart so I just add them to her oatmeal and she loves it. We gave her some halved frozen grapes in her little mesh chewy thing and actually got angry when it was just the skins left, plus it was helpful for the gums!

Anyone giving their LO water to drink? We just had our check up today and the doctor said she will be thirsty now and to give it 3 or so times a day. I'm thinking this may be why we are still nursing every 2-2.5 hours, she is thirsty over hungry maybe.

• Options
    I give my LO little sips of water throughout the day. Especially after he's been jumping in the jumperoo or has done a lot of tummy time where he's frantically trying to crawl and is breathing heavy. My pediatrician recommended doing water in a sippy cup just so he can start to practice holding and drinking out of one. 

Anyone use the fresh fruit mesh feeders? I love this product and it has many uses. Food/entertainment/teething. I put frozen sliced strawberries or frozen blueberries in it and my LO goes to town. He loves it. I usually let the fruit defrost a little so it's not quite as cold, but he definitely likes the fruit frozen vs fresh. I'm assuming because of teething.

• Options

@babyboyH92016 yes that is what we put the frozen grapes in, she loved it.

I did just read yesterday about starting sippy cup training super early at 6 months to get them used to it, so I guess the water will be a good way to practice.

• Options
    We have those mesh things but haven't started them yet. We haven't given any fruits yet so once we do and know he won't have a reaction we probably will. Xavier has had sips of water from my cups but was thinking of doing the sippy cup thing as well with the water.
  • Options
    My friend used those mesh feeders and said her triplets loved them so I guess I should go get some too! It's so weird I keep thinking that he is just way too young for something like that then I remember that he is already 6 months old! Where does the time go!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have those mesh feeders too but I haven't tried them yet. Our kid isn't too keen on any of the foods he's been offered yet, so I'm not sure how well those would go over right now.

As for the water, our pediatrician said the same thing, water is okay now. She mentioned buying a cup with a weighted straw. I guess because they are good at sucking right now, they can figure out a straw? I'm not really sure the logic behind it but I just bought one on Amazon. 
  • Options
    So X just slept from 10-6:30 and think he would've slept longer but my boobs were starting to hurt so I woke him to feed. Well he only nursed for 10 mins vs his normal 30 mins and went back to sleep. Not sure why he slept like that but it was awesome sleep for mom and dad.
  • Options
    Okay not sure if this has been discussed or not but has anyone had issues with little one not wanting to nurse or bottle but will eat their food. In the last few days maybe a week X has been fighting nursing and finishing bottles which has caused issues with I think dehydration and definitely constipation. Any advice or tricks to get him to drink his milk again?
  • Options
    @jenkar01 Yes! This entire month has been a struggle with eating. I think it's a combo of teething and developmental leap. I'm exclusively pumping now so LO only gets bottles. This week we uped the nipple flow and I'm not sure if it's coincidence, but he's finishing his entire bottles again. With the slower flow nipple, I think he was getting bored and distracted easily. With the faster flow he has to pay more attention to eating and gets through the bottle faster. Although if you are still nursing Im not sure if this is good advice to give you since I think there is a greater chance your LO will try to wean himself off the boob. Also we definitely keep prunes on hand if LO goes too long without pooping.