May 2017 Moms

Nursery Thread

Re: Nursery Thread

• I use mine for a mix of stuff. They're a bit empty as this is my toddler's closet and I'm moving the baby stuff into another room. 

Loosely: boob stuff, clothes in the next size or two, towels, swaddles, changing pad covers, sheet shoes and mattress covers, blankets (I swear they multiply!), carriers, infant inserts and accessories to gear, misc crap. 

I don think really hang clothes, those all go in the dresser. To the right and left of the cubes are big gear like the bucket seat, RNPs, pack n play etc. up top are diapers and wipes. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Loading the player...
  • @hp_momma Currently in the two bins that I have are filled with baby toys and teething stuff from when I had DD. The other cubes are just holding random stuff at the moment like monitors, my first breast pump, etc, so it's not quite done yet. The third bin, whenever I get it will probably be filled with misc items that don't really have a set place.

• @hp_momma I did similar to what @nda_roxybabe mentioned with an 8 cube Kallex. The top 4 are full of books and the bottom 4 have storage bins full of toys. That way I can grab a bin of toys to play with and then close the closet doors otherwise I get to pick up all the books off the floor. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We love our sound machine.  I don't think DD relies on it, but we use it to block out the other noises in our house.  We could scream outside her room and so long as the sound machine is on at a low volume, you can't hear it in her room.  Our upstairs family rooms is right down the hall so I don't have to worry about our surround sound waking her.  We also travel with it.  It's very small.  We have this one: 

https://www.amazon.com/myBaby-MYB-S200-SoundSpa-Portable/dp/B0091E31KM/ref=sr_1_14_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489600360&sr=8-14&keywords=sound+machine

Apparently this one is discontinued but there's a newer model.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Re sound machines: we never used one but I will be SO happy not to live in the land of helicopters anymore. Chinooks are worst. 

But blackout curtains are my life. Especially in the summer when days are long and toddlers want to stay out and play. When we travel to places without them I usually just drape a towel or light blanket over the curtain rod for extra light blocking. Kid 1 was an exceptionally crap sleeper for the first year though so I am very much on team "do whatever you need to do". 

May '17 labor memes
  • Realllllly dreading horribly obnoxious neighbors horribly obnoxious motorcycle late at night. I'm going to start calling the non emergency line and HOA every. single. time.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • We use a free app that is literally called "White Noise" set to the "heavy rain" sound. Similar to other posters, I like the white noise because it drowns out incidental noise that could wake him up. When DS was first born, we lived in the city in an apartment and it was loud both in the building and on the street outside his window. Now, we are in the burbs and it's generally quiet, but I love having the white noise to soften some of the random noises in our neighborhood (like the snow plows last night, fireworks, a neighbors party, a party in our house, etc). DH and I also sleep with white noise after years of living in NYC trying to drown out city noise. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @kipperoo That app is my favorite! I originally had it for me when I stayed at hotels and I use it now when DS has to nap other places. We set it to Fan & White Noise. At home we use a Dohm white noise machine. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the cube suggestions! You convinced me and made me remember all the stuff I need to dig out of storage and will want to have a place for. DH will be so happy to hear he gets to move the shelf up from the basement haha. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Re sound machines: we never used one but I will be SO happy not to live in the land of helicopters anymore. Chinooks are worst. 
    From my house, I can see the airfield, the reveille/retreat canon, and the parade field! They also choose to do morning PT within earshot. It is a super convenient location, but the amount of noise 24/7 is intense. 
    My dad is a helicopter pilot so I actually don't mind the airfield as it reminds me of home/him. But I could do without all the other noise! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Realllllly dreading horribly obnoxious neighbors horribly obnoxious motorcycle late at night. I'm going to start calling the non emergency line and HOA every. single. time.
    @nda_roxybabe I used to have this same next door neighbor.  I ran out of the house screaming at him
    one night in the middle of the night for revving his engine over and over and keeping me up.  I can't even imagine how often I'd be screaming at him or reporting him to the police if I have a baby at that time.  People are so inconsiderate!
  • Omg you should totally call every single time.  And I hope he doesn't wake your LO but I'm sure if he does he will definitely rue the day he ever did that!!!
  • @MollyandD Cute! Loving the Hedgehog
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • So we were totally planning on just cleaning up the nursery since it was gender neutral (Noah's ark) for DD and with her being 2 doesn't need many upgrades, but oh my gosh your nurseries are giving me second thoughts! They are adorable and so cozy & personal! Now off to Pinterest to see what I can manage to convince DH we should change...
  • @chickyclg the organization level of that shelf is amazing! Come do my pump stuff next!

@clebl24 my nursery is similar. It's not cluttered but it's a full-on guest room with the dismantled crib in the corner. No chance we'll be able to move the guest bed out until mid-May at the latest and we can't get the crib and glider set up until we do. I feel your pain!
  • @clebl24 our nursery was a storage room for years. My husband used his vacation week to clean it out. We drove 3 hours to the nearest IKEA and bought some great shelves and storage items so we could condense things that had been in two different rooms down to one room. Now, all our rooms in the house are actually functional.
  • @Jkp7749 So this isn't a nursery item, but I saw this and it reminded me of you and your nursery decor:

Baby Girl Carters Cupcake Teething Bib
    https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2388172/baby-girl-carters-cupcake-teething-bib.jsp?isClearance=true&prdPV=12
  • @SWE2 those are gorgeous! She's really talented. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @SWE2 those look great!  Your roommate has some talent and how nice that you have someone who you could commission to do custom paintings.

@mcvgal that is adorable!
  • @starphish18 just saw your comment... That's cute!!! 

@SWE2 love the artwork! She did a great job :)

@mcvgal that is precious! What sweet nicu nurses! 
  • @swe2 thanks!  This is actually the only room in the entire house we didn't re-paint when we moved in.  They're hand painted and a great neutral color.
  • @RainyDays86 those stripes! All of the heart eyes! 
  • @RainyDays86 I also love the roman shade you have! I feel like good ones are hard to find! 
  • @bacorrea that is adorable! And so organized! Ours needs an extreme makeover, I'm headed in to clean it now and dreading it. Maybe I can fly you in ;)
  • @bacorrea I love everything about that space! Especially how organized it is and that it exists.  I so wish we had a space like that for all of DS's crap.
  • @livin541 yesssss I'm coming. 
    Seriously though most everything in that's room is from Ikea (organizational wise). 

• @bacorrea great space! We have the same flooring and gate and swear by them both. We've got "babyland" set up in the back of our kitchen/dining space, where there is a kid table, storage, and a play house. I love your climbing blocks, great idea. Having a space where all the toys go is crucial.