August 2017 Moms
Options

Everything You didn't want to know about Pregnancy, Birth & Postpartum: STM to FTM advice

Re: Everything You didn't want to know about Pregnancy, Birth & Postpartum: STM to FTM advice

• Options
    The necessities for me were the glow worm (three years later and he is still sleeping with it), the swing, moby  wrap and later on ergobaby, nursing pillow (though this time around I'm going to use the breast friend under the recommendation of the LC I work with), a giant jar of aquaphor, sound machine, and sleepers. 

Useless items included the pack n play (I think my son slept all of 10 minutes in that thing), cute outfits, so many bibs, towels, sheets, burp cloths, etc. and for us the glider. 
  • Options
    @taylormarie923 @chayamosko @AbbeyH @kristenk727 @SouthernMama15 @brookedeyo @Lauradi1010

THANK YOU guys! It's nice to see consistency between all your posts about what was helpful vs. a waste. (Definitely not registering for a wipe warmer haha)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @secicc12, no problem! If I think of anything else, I'll add it.  As far as the pack and play, we got the miniature one. He slept in it next to our bed for the first few months.   I wound up buying a full size one at a consignment sale for traveling.  
  • Options
    YES @secicc12!!!
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    @secicc12 yes definitely! @BumpAdmin @BumpCaitlin please pin!
  • Options
    middy411middy411 member
    edited January 2017
    @secicc12 I adore my wipe warmer! It was either use a cold wipe and listen to baby scream her head off at 1am, 3am, 5am, 7am. Or use a nice warm wipe and have her not make a peep. Maybe it's just my DD but she still gives me a horrified look when I use a wipe and it's unexpectedly cold at 10 months. Wipe warmers for life! Lol

ETA: Wipe warmers are always on the list of "useless" baby things so I didn't register for one either. But since nobody paid any attention to the registry I prepared over months of research and organizing (lol) we ended up with 2 wipe warmers and I'm so glad! You just never know what you'll end up loving!
  • Options
    @middy411 That is very true! I probably wouldn't appreciate a cold wipe at 1 am either haha. I'll definitely keep an open mind. Worst case, if we don't register for it and end up wanting to try, we just buy one ourselves. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    hupp0013hupp0013 member
    edited January 2017
    I was thinking about after delivery earlier today, and I remembered uterine or stomach "massage" (I don't know if that is the correct terminology) after my c sections.  I don't know if they do them after vaginal deliveries because I have just had c sections, but they were unpleasant and gross.  It hurt worse after my emergency c section though.   
    ETA- fixed a word.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    hupp0013 said:
    I was thinking about after deliver earlier today, and I remembered uterine or stomach "massage" (I don't know if that is the correct terminology) after my c sections.  I don't know if they do them after vaginal deliveries because I have just had c sections, but they were unpleasant and gross.  It hurt worse after my emergency c section though.   
    They sure do. I can't  imagine the pain after surgery, it was bad enough after vaginal delivery. 
  • Options
    hupp0013 said:
    I was thinking about after deliver earlier today, and I remembered uterine or stomach "massage" (I don't know if that is the correct terminology) after my c sections.  I don't know if they do them after vaginal deliveries because I have just had c sections, but they were unpleasant and gross.  It hurt worse after my emergency c section though.   
    I don't think I had this after my c section. All they did was check my incision often. Which hurt. Lol
  • Options
    I had a c section and don't remember that either.  I didn't have much pain, the worst discomfort I had was a rash from the sterile window they put over me before the procedure. I also broke out from the tape on my catheter. I'm talking horrible welts all over my stomach and inside of my thigh.  It was horrible. 
  • Options
    @middy411 I had it done after both of mine.  It was unpleasant and made blood gush out.  I think they were also checking for clots when they did it.  I think I asked why they did it, I just can't remember what they said.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I think I would also suggest if you end up with a c section that you dry your incision site with a hair dryer.  I used the warm or cool air setting on mine.  It is unnerving to lift up the belly flap, but it will help you get it nice and dry.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @SouthernMama15 I am not a fan of the catheter either.  It took me forever to get the tape residue off.  Also- that rash sounds miserable.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @hupp0013 it was awful. I kept telling them I was itching, but they kept saying it was from the epidural which can make you itch. Finally I pulled up my gown and showed them the welts.  My doctor is trying to figure out a different way to keep things sterile this go round.  
  • Options
    hupp0013 said:
    @middy411 I had it done after both of mine.  It was unpleasant and made blood gush out.  I think they were also checking for clots when they did it.  I think I asked why they did it, I just can't remember what they said.
    They do the "massage" (I use the term lightly) to make sure your uterus is shrinking back to its normal size!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    hupp0013 said:
    I was thinking about after delivery earlier today, and I remembered uterine or stomach "massage" (I don't know if that is the correct terminology) after my c sections.  I don't know if they do them after vaginal deliveries because I have just had c sections, but they were unpleasant and gross.  It hurt worse after my emergency c section though.   
    ETA- fixed a word.
    this! i had a vaginal non medicated birth and i always tell my husband i don't remember the pain of actually giving birth but i remember the nurse evey thirty minutes coming to press on my stomach. plus i hemorrhaged and had on an adult diaper so when she would press on my tummy she would look in the diaper to make sure i wasn't bleeding too much i felt like a child lol 
  • Options
    littlebug2010littlebug2010 member
    edited January 2017
    Hey STMs, What does round ligament pain feel like.  I cant tell if this mysterious pain that is around my right hip is something like that, or if its more gas/constipation pain.  It feels very different to me than my usual gas pain, but I dont know what I should expect from round ligament pain.  Im also only 13 weeks, so is it too early for that? 

Also @BumpAdmin Please pin this post! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • Options
    @littlebug2010
    For me round ligament pain is when a make a move or motion too fast, and then it's almost like a Charlie horse in my gut or side. I've been having it for several weeks already. Like I stood up too fast today and this horrible stretching sensation just HIT me. I always know what it is right away then end up hating myself for not being more careful (even though honestly I probably couldn't have prevented it)
  • Options
    @belmont1785 I've been having that happen to me too...when I cough, sneeze, or even just stand up sometimes. I didn't realize what it was though. Is it something to be concerned about?
  • Options
    Another tip to know: be aware that your ribs can expand near and in the third trimester. I was blindsided when it happened to me because I was in quite a bit of pain and could hardly breathe.  I was ready to drive myself to the ER when my doctor called back advising me what it actually was.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    To me round ligament pain feels like someone kicking you sharply from the outside. I remember the first time it happened with my son, I dropped what was in my hand it scared me so bad lol I have had it a couple times so far with this pregnancy, when sneezing or rotating my torso. @vannilly nothing to worry about, totally normal annoying symptom of pregnancy. 
  • Options
    @vannilly
    Its totally normal. Nothing to worry about. Just like growing pains or a Charlie horse, just annoying. 
  • Options
    Thank you everyone.  I think thats exactly what it was for me yesterday, it just lingered most of the day.  It hurt really bad in the AM, I think getting up out of bed did it, and the minor pain lingered.  A few people sent me some ideas on how to stretch it out and ways to sleep to avoid it again, and that seems to have given relief.  
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options
    @littlebug2010  I noticed that mine hurts fairly bad especially last night, now that I have to start trying to sleep on my side (which is horrible).
  • Options
    @Lindstothee I think mine was partially side sleeping as well.  I usually sleep on my stomach, but I have started that between my boobs being larger, and it feels odd on my stomach, so its been 100% side.  But I did find that putting the pillow between my knees to prop my hip into a normal place made it feel so much better. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • Options
    To me round ligament pain feels like someone kicking you sharply from the outside. I remember the first time it happened with my son, I dropped what was in my hand it scared me so bad lol I have had it a couple times so far with this pregnancy, when sneezing or rotating my torso. @vannilly nothing to worry about, totally normal annoying symptom of pregnancy. 
    Thank you so much for this description! I've cramped almost the entire time since my BFP, with a couple rounds of lightning crotch, so I thought I had the "normal pains" all figured out. Lately if I sneeze when laying down or reclining there is an intense pain along the side of my uterus area. It's sharp and hurts so bad. Almost like I pulled a muscle or tore it. Goes away after a few minutes, but man, the pain freaked me out it was so bad!

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Mango517 OH the sneezes! Try the fetal position when you're laying down and need to sneeze. Pulling my knees up to my chest also works if I'm sitting. When I'm standing I try and bend over and that usually helps. I never had that with DD so I was also pretty freaked out. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Now that we're getting farther along, what should the first movements feel like? I feel like I might be starting to get some and keep second guessing myself.

Also can we get this post pinned?! @BumpAdmin
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903

With my first if felt like little gas bubbles.  Very faint and not painful at all.  Would be in one spot one minute then another spot a little later.  

I didn't feel them until about 17 weeks with the first and then I wasn't 100% sure.   

I am almost 14 weeks and have been hoping to feel baby earlier.  I have felt a few faint tinges, but am also second guessing myself because I have been gassy.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 my first movement feelings felt kind of like a butterfly trapped in my stomach. A lot of people say gas but I don't think it feels like that because gas is pressure and sometimes pain. My labor contractions felt like bad gas lol. My first movements felt like a butterfly and then graduated to feeling like popcorn popping later.
  • Options

I'm only 14 weeks but DH was giving me a back massage over the weekend and so I was lying on my belly. I never ever lay on my stomach, even when I'm not pregnant, but the whole time I felt butterflies and flutters all over my stomach. It was the coolest feeling and I am blaming our little guy for it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 It felt like butterfly wings for me as well.  I had an anterior placenta, so I really didn't start feeling it until about 18-20w.  DH felt it around 22-23w.

DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I just turned 15 weeks today and about 2 days ago I felt the butterfly and fluttering in my stomach, it's mostly when I lay down to go to sleep at night, it woke me up about 2 in the morning. Such a different but great feeling to know everything is going ok in there till my next apt!
  • Options
    Baby kicks always feel like a fish flop in the beginning to me, before discernible kicks. 

Last time I had an anterior placenta & didn't feel Baby move until 20wks & my hubby didn't feel her until like 28 weeks. 
  • Options
    Mine would be described as a fish flop as well. It happens very quick, but is very clear what it is. I have only felt it once so far, but it was way earlier this time.  With my son, I first felt him at 16 weeks. 
  • Options
    With DD 2 I first felt it and it felt like butterfly wings.  The felt that really early, like 13 weeks.  With DD1, I described it as going fast down a hill and you can feel it in your stomach only I was standing still.  That was around 15 weeks.  I could definitely see it described as a fish flopping too.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    For me they started as small muscle twinges. 
  • Options
    STMs, is a glider, rocker, or something of the sorts really necessary or helpful in the nursery? In my mind, I want baby in her crib from the get go (although I'm sure when real life waking up all the time hits, she'll be in my room).  If she's in her crib, I could see it being helpful so we could just stay in her room.  But we also have a recliner in the living room. Just trying to figure out if I should look into them or if that'd be just wasting $300!
    Pregnancy Ticker