March 2017 Moms

**ALL THINGS LABOR!**

Gators&BoSoxGators&BoSox member
edited January 2017 in March 2017 Moms
It's about that time ladies! A couple of the other boards have this and I thought it would be a good way to keep us clutter free. If you have any labor questions, want to tell us you're in labor, or complain that you are STILL not in labor, here's the place!

Also, since the birth announcement thread is love its only, we can use this board to congratulate mommas :)

Re: **ALL THINGS LABOR!**

• @BumpAdmin can we please sticky
  • Loading the player...
  • You got this @Gators&BoSox !  You have a lot of positives going for you - if you start labor naturally, the pain is WAY less intense than with Pitocin.  Also, second babies are much quicker.

My first baby I was induced but it was still pretty fast (8 hours).  With my second, I went into labor naturally, but had a CS due to footling breech presentation.  So I feel like when I put both deliveries together I've had one full natural delivery from start to finish LOL!  I feel like this time (VBAC) I have a chance at having the entire thing go natural from the start to the end.  I am super psyched.  Also I think it'll be funny to have a natural labor, a CS, and a VBAC, like I will have done them all LOL!  

...Except I haven't had a home birth... so maybe I'll need to have a 4th baby after all...
  • @Cbeanz I hope that's exactly how it is for me too! Honestly, I am a strong mixture of excitement and nerves. But more than anything I just want to meet my happy healthy baby girl. I gladly face my nerves of childbirth if I get to hold her in my arms at the end of it all - totally worth it. 
  • @Cbeanz me, me!! I'm in the same boat as Gators, I am looking forward to having a more "normal" labor and the full experience this time around! Really excited about my midwife assisted birth too!

I was induced with my DD ((still have regrets about not sticking up for my body, fighting the overly cautious doctors longer)) it was fast and furious pit insanity contractions with no break ((I never experience the contractions that gave you more than 15-30sec break in between)) with her arriving 5hrs after the first contraction and all back labor ((had no idea until BH this time around what a contraction felt like on the front side of things))  even after that-I still woke up the next day and said: I have no idea what ppl mean when they "wait till you have one and you'll change your mind about doing that over again" I instantly wanted another go at it!!

So: yes! I'm excited! the only things I'm nervous about this time around are how fast will this one be in comparison since last one was so fast-will it be super fast too or was last time just because of the meds? So: when do I leave my house for the 30min away birthcenter!?  And-only other thing I'm worried about is being away from my DD/childcare! Otherwise: bring on the labor!! Whoot whoot!

• I am getting soooooo excited and nervous to meet them!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Kinda scared of the spinal epidural for the c section or being fully under for an emergency one but other than that I am soooo excited ahh

SaveSave
  • @kjd291 that sounds like it's going to be my next obsession ... also, I wish hospitals had some 24hr daycare attached to L&D for mommas with kids. It would take such a load off of my mind lol
    Oh my gosh yesss. It really would make so much sense! I'm sure there are lots of Mamas that could really use it in a pinch! 
  • Cbeanz said:
    Are there any other crazy mamas out there who are EXCITED for labor?  With my first baby, my experience in labor was intense and incredible, and unlike any other experience I'd ever had.  I felt an overwhelming sense of elation - it was the best moment of my life.  I couldn't wait to go through it all again! In fact, when DD was a few minutes old, I screamed, "Let's do this all over again!" It was a high I felt for weeks afterward!  Well, here we go again!!! 
    Yes and no. I am looking forward to labor because I am just ready to meet baby! B ut labor itself was not elation for me. It was terrible back pain and I really found myself wondering if I was going to be in labor forever, lol. Time stood still and the only thing that existed was my screaming back pain. 

BUT once he was out the hormonal rush was real. I remember saying to my husband, "I could do that again." The high is incredible, though I couldn't properly sleep for about two days because of the restlessness from the hormones! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I stumbled onto this article the other day, and highly recommend reading it (as well as the part 2). I was almost 42 weeks when I finally went into labor naturally with DS. And I was REALLY REALLY REALLY tempted to go for an induction prior to that, because let's face it-- when you get to 41 weeks, you're desperate to get this baby out of me now!!! 

Fortunately, my OB group knew my goal of a drug-free, minimal intervention birth experience, and they educated me on the risks/likelihood of needing more interventions (including c-section) with an induction after 41 weeks. And I had no medical indications that required immediate induction, so they left it up to me (with brief ultrasounds every other day just to make sure baby had enough fluid etc). I waited for my body to go into labor naturally and was able to have the most beautiful birth experience with no medications and no interventions (not even an IV)! 

IF you do end up needing or choosing  be induced, "pit to distress" is a practice you will want to educate yourself about! 

https://nursingbirth.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/“pit-to-distress”-a-disturbing-reality/

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Small rant. Had a doc appt today. Good news is baby is head down already but my doctor kinda said what I didn't want to hear and still wants me to get a c-section even if I go into labor earlier than my scheduled c-section at 39 weeks. I was hoping to do a vbac but she scared me so much about the risk of a ruptured uterus and not wanting me to have to go through any more trauma if things go wrong. I had a horrible c-section with my daughter where I had complications so I'm frightened either way. Hopefully it being scheduled will make it easier. I have never went into labor on my own. I was induced both times in previous labors so I'm also worried that I won't know if I'm in labor if it does happen early. 
  • @mcdonald-bailey what was her reasoning to insist on RCS?  Why would you be at increased risk of a rupture (more than a VBAC candidate)?  
  • @Cbeanz previous c-section, last loss was stillborn at 38 wks, vbac has higher chance of ruptured uterus so she's just overly protective of the negatives that could happen if I attempt vbac
  • @mcdonald-bailey I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  You've been though a lot.  Yeah, I can understand being overly cautious, but what a difficult situation to be in.  How do you feel about a scheduled CS?
  • MahiMama said:
    I stumbled onto this article the other day, and highly recommend reading it (as well as the part 2). I was almost 42 weeks when I finally went into labor naturally with DS. And I was REALLY REALLY REALLY tempted to go for an induction prior to that, because let's face it-- when you get to 41 weeks, you're desperate to get this baby out of me now!!! 

Fortunately, my OB group knew my goal of a drug-free, minimal intervention birth experience, and they educated me on the risks/likelihood of needing more interventions (including c-section) with an induction after 41 weeks. And I had no medical indications that required immediate induction, so they left it up to me (with brief ultrasounds every other day just to make sure baby had enough fluid etc). I waited for my body to go into labor naturally and was able to have the most beautiful birth experience with no medications and no interventions (not even an IV)! 

IF you do end up needing or choosing  be induced, "pit to distress" is a practice you will want to educate yourself about! 

https://nursingbirth.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/“pit-to-distress”-a-disturbing-reality/

It's so important to choose doctors you trust when you are in such a vulnerable position. Too many women, especially economically disadvantaged ones, just fall into someone's care almost blindly. :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • BurrberrymumBurrberrymum member
    edited January 2017
    I'm feeling the opposite emotions than most of you. I'm terrified even though my first birth experience was good. It was long, induced labour because my water broke and nothing was progressing so I was in so much pain for over 24 hours but apparently according the my papers from the hospital active labour was only 2 hours from the moment it started til birth.. I'm hoping labour starts on its own and is quick. (Aren't we all hoping for that lol) 

I had an OB with my first and midwife this time.. is anyone else nervous about the fact that if complications arise with a midwife that the OB on call to rush to the OR may be caught up with another surgery? I know midwives are trained in all aspects of labour and delivery so they know how to handle situations but it still makes me incredibly nervous. Also my secondary midwife who will likely be delivering is fairly new.. she's had a handful of births.  I wanted this experience to be more personal but I'm over thinking things now. 
  • @alexxapplepiee your william is so precious congratulations!! I'm so glad that after everything you have been through he is doing so well! hope you get some much deserved rest  <3
  • @alexxapplepiee your little one is perfection!!! congrats, mama.  I hope that you are all doing well <3.
  • npaulie I love your attitude!!!  Women have been doing to since the beginning of time.  We are all strong enough to bring our little miracles into this world. Super stoked!
  • @alexxapplepiee Your little guy is just adorable! And I love his name. I'm so happy for you!

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congratulations @alexxapplepiee he is absolutely perfect! Hope you get decent rest tonight! 
  • @alexxapplepiee he is adorable!  Love the hair!!! Congrats!!
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @alexxapplepiee he looks like a regular size newborn until you notice the bandaid on the back of his hand! He's adorable, though and has great hair!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @DrillSergeantCat he's long. Like really long. Lol. But everything else is so tiny. That's what everyone has said is something like he's big .... just miniature version lol
  • @BumpAdmin@BumpCaitlin@BumpJackie, & @BumpTara can we please have this stickied?
  • @mrsyimster AHHHH. Thanks for the new photos of your amazingly adorable girls!! 
    Is baby fever a thing when you're preggo?? Cuz I feel like I have it. Hah.  
  • How are you all planning on getting there? hoping to get there with my husband driving me. Nerve wracking is he takes the train into Boston each day so I'm hoping that it works out well enough where I will know I'm in labor and he can work from home. 
    How far away is it? Thankfully just about 10 minutes away. 
    When will you decide it's time to go? Last time around, I had called the midwife a few times who was on call. I must have been doing some good pain management because she didn't think I should come in but I felt like I needed to. I went in and was 5-6cm. If I could labor at home longer I would but not sure how that will go with my (then) 23 month old. 
    What are your plans for your older kids? Still working on this. Hoping that my mom can be our go-to person and that she can spend the night/s if needed. My son is cared for by family and friends so hopefully they will just continue watching him on their days and my mom can spend the night. 
    Any other special plans you are making? No special plans besides really hoping arrangements workout that my husband can stay with me overnight. I'm undecided on if maybe I'll want to go home after 1 night ... hoping to have a med free birth again in the alternate birthing center. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Anyone have a membrane sweep? If so at what week did you have it done? How was the process and did it help put you in labor? 
  • I'm a FTM and am a bit anxious/nervous for labor. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm definitely wanting an epidural, really hoping it works and that we have a smooth labor and delivery. The scariest thing is there is no way to prepare really and things can change very quickly!
  • @mcdonald-bailey I had it done with my first and the dr started at week 37 (done every week) but it will really only work if baby is ready since she waited till week 40. 

Me: 35      Hubs: 27
    Married: 07/04/13
    BFP #1: 8/14/14, Baby Girl born 4/16/15
    BFP #2: 6/21/16, Baby Girl born 2/11/17
    BFP #3: 1/26/19, EDD 10/8/19
    Fur Babies: 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Piper and Mia)
  • @mcdonald-bailey I had one done at my 39 week check at about 4PM. I was 39 weeks, 4 days and it was the first time I was checked internally. It is definitely a little uncomfortable but my midwife exclaimed "You don't feel like a first time mom.. I think I might be seeing you tonight." I had contractions that night but nothing consistent. At the time I was 2-3cm dilated and I think 75% effaced. 

I woke up in early labor the next morning and ultimately delivered my son at 3:30AM the following morning.. so 36 hours after it was done. 

As mentioned before.. I don't think it works unless your body and baby are ready. A coworker said she had it done each week starting at 36 (sounds a little early in my opinion) and didn't end up delivering until her due date. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @Rfounty congratulations on your precious little boy. He is adorable. Hope you are both doing well and can go home soon!
  • @mcdonald-bailey  @DrillSergeantCat said she had a membrane sweep with Norah.