March 2017 Moms
Options

**ALL THINGS LABOR!**

Re: **ALL THINGS LABOR!**

• Options
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thinking of you @direwolfmini! Hope you make it until Wednesday! Glad you are able to get the steroid shots in!
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Options
    @direwolfmini not sleeping and not eating sounds terrible, but you got this!! If they haven't had anyone from the NICU team come talk to you, my only advice would be to request that.  They calmed alllll my nerves when I was in the hospital, and I was 32 weeks then so you're in much better shape.  so excited for you and fingers crossed you make it to your Wednesday goal!  
  • Options
    @direwolfmini thinking of you and your babies!!! Hope you can get some rest & hope you make it to Wednesday!!!❤️
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @direwolfmini glad everyone is doing okay! Hope they'll let you eat soon and get you some rest! 
  • Options
    @direwolfmini T&P to you and your boys to make it till Wednesday! Can't wait to see them and hear the birth story! <3 all will be well, I know it! 
  • Options
    Thinking of you @direwolfmini!!!
  • Options
    Hi ladies, I need a place to vent some fears while processing some complex feelings about labor and pregnancy. Feel free to skip.

in short, I am terrified. I developed a huge blood clot from groin to calf in my left leg. It showed up on Tuesday when I started getting cramps in my left thigh. By the end of the day, I couldn't walk, and my leg had swelled to 2 inches larger than my right leg. I went to the hospital, where they admitted me. I was released last night. I spent the week being injected with blood thinners, which I have to continue until at least 6 weeks after birth.

the condition that forced a scheduled c-section, placenta previa, has fortunately cleared up. A c-section while on thinners would have been crazy complicated. So now, I'm scheduled to be induced at 39 weeks. I'm 36 weeks now.

The problem is, the epidural drugs don't work with this blood thinner. If I don't go into labor on my own, then I switch thinners two days ahead of time, and I get my epidural. The epidural still may not work. Ugh! I know plenty of people labor without drugs, but a long pit labor without relief scares me. Plus I can't use that leg still, so the walking and squats I might otherwise do to progress the labor aren't going to work.

Im already in intense pain from the clot. I'm on Percocet for it, but as that goes to baby too, I'm trying to keep my use limited. I woke up at 2 am sobbing in pain last night. I feel like I am failing my little girl because I'm not strong enough to manage the pain without meds. As a result, there's a chance she would be born with a mild addiction. It breaks my heart. 

How am I going to manage labor pain when I'm already worn down from the clot pain? I feel like I could handle one or the other, but both? Over a few weeks? I don't know how I'm going to do it.

thanks for letting me rant. I hate to express this to DH because he's already so worried. I'm stuck in bed, and he's carrying a huge burden now. 

Im sure I will make it through just fine, it just feels so overwhelming right now. Baby is healthy for now, and that is what matters!
  • Options
    @Happyhiker my heart aches for you! Im so sorry you are facing so many directions that will all cause you terrible pain. You should definitely talk to your husband or someone you trust for comfort- looks like you're in for a long haul. :'( maybe you can ask for alternative pain relief methods during labor like gas? Your health matters too! I sincerely hope you find relief in some form <3
  • Options
    @happyhiker I read the book hypnobirthing and it COMPLETELY eliminated all my fears about pain surrounding child birth. Granted, I'm a huge believer in meditation in the first place... not saying it'll necessarily help you, but I found it really helpful. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ivorytower2Ivorytower2 member
    edited February 2017
    @happyhiker sorry all this is happening to you. Is this your first baby? I know most first babies are usually late, so 39 weeks is highly likely to be ok, but still, Wonder if you could move the induction up to 38 weeks so less of a chance of going into labor naturally and you could plan to switch your meds so you can get the epi. I'm sure you already did this, but I'd let my doctor know how I felt and that I really was planning on having an epi as part of an induction birth process and see if they can offer any solutions. It's their job to keep you healthy, but also to help you manage the process and what you can handle on your end too. 

Edit to add: awesome news on the previa clearing up, so at least that's one less thing to worry about. 
  • Options
    @Happyhiker I'm sorry, that sounds like a ton to be going through and wrap your head around! 
    Some questions you may or may not already have looked into are - what's the chance of being able to switch to a less potent/addicting form of pain medication in the next few weeks (particularly one you'd feel more comfortable taking regularly enough to manage your pain better)? If the symptoms won't let up, is this a situation where a palliative care program could be added to your care team to help? What are the pain relief choices offered at the hospital / that your OB would consider - in addition to epidurals are spinal blocks, opiates, or gas available because of your circumstances? 

I'd also recommend the Hypnobirthing book, and looking into classes as well - you might be able to find an instructor who'd come give you a couple private classes at a discounted rate (vs. the 5 week course). I've been through many painful medical procedures without pain medications, and mental preparation is really key in how it goes. While I don't 100% endorse everything in the HB book or course, and some of what they present as routine for hospitals hasn't been routine for our hospital or OB in years, the scripts and recordings and daily relaxation practice have made a huge difference in how able I am to manage daily stress and pain already, and are making me feel much more comfortable approaching labor & delivery. 

Lots of love & internet hugs! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Have any of you ladies been experiencing regular contractions but not enough to be termed "preterm labor"? I've been having 3 contractions an hour for the last couple days. It's obviously not a lot, but the longer it happens, the more I worry haha. My dr did tell me that at this point (34 weeks), he would not stop labor if it occurred. But I'd like this baby to cook awhile longer and wasn't sure if this is just super early labor or BH. Thoughts..experience? 
  • Options
    Congratulations @WF7968 your two little ones are perfect! So glad you arrived when you did and had a new nurse!
  • Options
    congratulations @WF7968! I hope you and your babies get to go home soon
  • Options
    @Lexxilou1986 I'm having more contractions than that, but they are still painless so they haven't labeled me as being in preterm labor.

On Saturday night/early Sunday morning I had a 8 hour stretch after Baby A's water broke where I was having painful contractions every 3-8 min, but they didn't make me dilate and they stopped on their own, thankfully!

Fingers crossed that you labor holds off too!
  • Options
    @direwolfmini I just read they pushed your section to Thursday! I'm so glad your babes get to cook another day...although hospital time is not fun!! I got a paint by numbers and that helped occupy some of my hospital and bedrest time. 

Im not overly concerned, I've just never experienced going into labor on my own since I was induced last time. Also, just that they've been so consistent. But I have an appointment tomorrow with US so that should tell them how my cervix is looking.

Im praying for you and your babies!! I hope things will go smoothly for you until Thursday!! 
  • Options
    @direwolfmini T&Ps for you and your littles!

@Happyhiker I'm sorry you're going through this. I think it's normal to have some fear about labor pain. I've been reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, which has helped me through that fear.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• Options
    @Happyhiker I am so sorry to hear you are facing these tough decisions.  I wanted to share a few thoughts with you.

1. I have to echo what others are saying - read as much as you can so that you go into this confidently and less afraid.  Childbirth Without Fear is a great book and talks about breaking the Fear-Tension-Pain cycle. When we are unafraid, we are more relaxed, and labor can progress faster and with less pain.  Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is another great one.  Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is another.

2. Some pit labors are fast - especially if you have begun to dilate on your own and you forego the epidural.  Can you establish beforehand that you will be in control of how much pitocin you get?  This way you can gradually ramp up to what you need for labor, and NOT MORE.  This helps to minimize the amount of pain.  Once your labor is kickstarted you can request that pitocin be turned off.  Talk to your OB beforehand to make sure you are on the same page.

3. Are there some labor positions that you can still do with your leg pain?  Can you do hands and knees?  Sitting upright on a labor ball?  Child's pose? Supported squat?  Leaning on elbows over a bed or table?

4. You can do this. You are strong and you will get through it!
  • Options
    Have any of you ladies been experiencing regular contractions but not enough to be termed "preterm labor"? I've been having 3 contractions an hour for the last couple days. It's obviously not a lot, but the longer it happens, the more I worry haha. My dr did tell me that at this point (34 weeks), he would not stop labor if it occurred. But I'd like this baby to cook awhile longer and wasn't sure if this is just super early labor or BH. Thoughts..experience? 

Sort of. For example, yesterday between 12 and 6ish I had probably 10conractions. They felt like real ones, like the back labor I had with my son. But they were never closer than fifteen minutes, about 30 seconds long, and only moderately painful (legit pain, but could walk and stuff). This is the first time it was really painful. Went away after a couple of hours of rest. (34 weeks)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Lexxilou1986 I would say 3 per hour sounds like BH. With my first,  when labor started (naturally), my contractions were 3 minutes apart from the very beginning, so it was unmistakable even though I had never experienced it before. My OB has always said that as far as preterm contractions go, you should always call if you have more than 4 in an hour. If you do, they will probably have you come in. They will monitor your contractions and possibly give you IV fluids to see if that helps. If they think you are possibly in preterm labor, they will want to give you steroid shots for baby's lungs. 

@Happyhiker I was going to suggest a doula! So glad you're considering it, and that's DH is able to recognize that this is not something he should be making about him. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Not sure if I missed it--are they uncomfortable? Or just tightening?. I have had a ton of BH since entering third Tri with this second pregnancy. Definitely more at night or if I haven't drank enough throughout the day. But three an hour isn't concerning from everything I've heard! 
  • Options
    Not sure this is the right thread but...

Anyone have a right occiput posterior baby? I've heard labor can be longer if baby isn't occiput anterior. Anything I can do between now and labor?
  • Options
    @Cbeanz My son was born sunny side up. My midwife said that's part of why my pushing stage lasted 3 hours :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @cbeanz i don't know too much just that proper posture, sitting forward a bit and sitting on the yoga ball is supposed to help optimize position in general. I've also read that babies can often get themselves into the anterior position during the actual labor process. I think hands and knees during labor is supposed to help if baby is still sunny up? don't quote me on that one though
  • Options
    @Cbeanz  the spinning babies website has a ton of information on what you can do to help baby get into the most optimal position. Of course some babies are stubborn, but it can't hurt to check it out.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• Options
    @kjd291 - My DH had a man sickness yesterday.  All he did was MOAN the entire night while laying on the couch.  I finally told him to go to the dr today if it's bad, because I offered to go get him gingerale, food, ANYTHING to make him not moan.  I also basically told him I don't have much sympathy to give him right now.  I'm pregnant and dealing with a wicked cold.  Why are men so helpless?!  Hopefully he does get over his sickness before you have your LO!  
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • Options
    So this Friday night there is an eclipse, comet and a full moon.  Who's going into labor on Friday?
    holy cow! i vote @kjd291...not me please!! i went into labor on a full moon with DS so you guys can have this one lol
  • Options
    @disneybaby84 YESSSS.  I could be ready for that.
  • Options
    So this Friday night there is an eclipse, comet and a full moon.  Who's going into labor on Friday?
    holy cow! i vote @kjd291...not me please!! i went into labor on a full moon with DS so you guys can have this one lo

stuck in box

i actually asked my midwife about this!! She said ((in her personal experience - over the past 20odd years)) there is no correlation with the full moon and babies being born. But there is always an increase with a NEW moon. However-there is definitely an increase in loonies in the psych section of the hospital.  

She DID however day it's been proven that by days of week Tuesday's are the biggest baby birth day!? So my bets are currently on V-Day baby here.

no complaints if baby does come on the full moon though!!
  • Options
    mecoats said:
    @kjd291 - My DH had a man sickness yesterday.  All he did was MOAN the entire night while laying on the couch.  I finally told him to go to the dr today if it's bad, because I offered to go get him gingerale, food, ANYTHING to make him not moan.  I also basically told him I don't have much sympathy to give him right now.  I'm pregnant and dealing with a wicked cold.  Why are men so helpless?!  Hopefully he does get over his sickness before you have your LO!  
    I'm sorry you're dealing with man flu too! I have no clue why they're such babies!? Mine wanted to call out from work today so he could "rest up" for a fraternity event tonight.  I feel like his mom :eyeroll: I told him, if he's well enough to go to his event tonight, he can be well enough to go to work today. PLUS (like yours) I do not want him here at home moaning on my couch all day instead of helping me with my toddler.
  • Options
    @kjd291 used to work in a psych hospital. I can confirm our admissions ALWAYS increased at full moons. It was SO weird. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kjd291 I've been letting my DH's mancold run its course and I basically ignored him and had no sympathy. Of course he goes to the doctor today and she puts him on antibiotics and a steroid. Part of me feels bad he's actually that sick. The rest of me is just glad he'll be done complaining soon.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17