July 2017 Moms

The Big Maternity Clothes Thread

Here is a place for all questions/sale alerts/etc about maternity clothes! I'll start: I'm so bloated that I'm switching over to maternity jeans. I ordered a few pairs (from Seraphine FWIW) and, besides the maternity element, they feel a little big (like, in the denim part). Despite the bloat, I haven't actually gained any weight yet. Am I likely to fill out the slightly too big jeans soon, or should I go down a size?
TTC #1: 4/16
BFP #1: 5/16
MMC at 8 weeks: 6/16
BFP #2: 10/16 
Sweet baby boy arrived 7/7/17!

Re: The Big Maternity Clothes Thread

• I'd hold on to them. My legs, and especially my thighs got a little thicker during my first pregnancy. You never know where the weight distribution might go! Plus, when I started getting bigger, any tightness at all around my belly/thighs bugged the hell out of me!
  • Loading the player...
  • @leilac I agree to hang onto them.  I think it'll be nice having some wiggle room, rather than having to buy more jeans down the road.

Maternity jeans are truly the best and pretty much we should all just wear elasticity waistbands all day long, pregnant or not!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Cait32 - I always went with full panel. I really think it depends how you carry. I go way out and get rather large. I get the "smuggling basketball" comments starting around 24 weeks. 
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • @Cait32 last pregnancy I preferred the lower half panel? I don't remember what it's called. Where it's below your belly basically. The full coverage irritates the top of my stomach and falls down. This time I think I'm going to prefer dresses. I don't like anything on my belly it makes me uncomfortable and the full panel are still irritating. 

I bought most of my maternity from goodwill. A pair of pants is like $5 so then if I hate them I don't feel like I'm out a lot of money. 

My hips got a lot wider with ds and have already grown with this one so if it were me I would keep the bigger pair. And I barely got big with ds. Please please let it be the same. 
  • Old Navy online has a great maternity selection and right now the entire store is up to 60% off. They have a bunch of sweaters in the $20-$30 range and some really cute basic tees and such for as low as $8.00!! 
  • @Cait32 - yes - I think you'll prefer full panel given that you already like to wear higher waisted clothes. 
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • @Cait32 I would think you would think you would like them more. But the full panel comes almost up to my bra which is where I don't like them. 
  • I lived in a very warm place with my first pregnancy and the full panel made me feel sweaty and gross.  Just something to consider- if it gets super hot in July you might want the lower ones, although you could always take the full panel and roll them down.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I only bought normal clothes that could be used during pregnancy. Like, uniclo has these jeggings that I wore from 5 months to delivery. I bought a bunch of dresses that had a lot of give. I only had to really buy maternity shorts and maternity yoga pants. 
    My goal was to be able to keep wearing this stuff later. And some I still do. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @leilac I only grew in the belly, my hips and thighs stayed the same. That being said, if they're a great deal, I would keep them. Some days, you need a pair of comfy, fat pants ;)

@Cait32 everyone is different. The first pair I bought last pregnancy were the low rise type and I hated them! I felt like they kept rolling down and I was uncomfortable. I'm a big fan  of the full panel pants, yoga pants and maxi dresses. 
  • @leilac  you got pm - I sent you the link to the local moms group. Check it often, there are always moms selling their maternity clothes! I recently scored 2 black dresses (perfect for work and can dress up), 2 maternity/nursing tops, and a maternity pencil skirt for $40. 

• oh and bonus: there are a lot of filmmaker/writer/editor type moms in the group
  • I'm a fan of full panel; the low rise tend to dig into my cesarean scar. 
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Any STMs out there with a dress code between business casual to business at work?  I usually wear dresses made out of suiting material and need to look "fancy".  Any recommendations for particular brands/lines?  

I'm super jealous of all the casual clothes workplaces out there!  I would be so happy in leggings and baggy shirts from now until July.
  • So I just wear scrubs and yoga pants because I'm a degenerate but when I need to wear real life clothes I'm hoping it's not til summer so I can just live in maxi dresses. I ordered some ON full panel jeans because I liked them last time around and they are totally different this time and have a weird panel. I'm pissed I didn't save the receipt because they look crazy. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Full panel because the half would show through my tight t shirts and tank tops!! The full went up by my bra line kinda so it was more hidden. Lol 
  • @Cait32 I also love high waists and long camis, and so I loved the full-panel.  I just dug out my old maternity clothes, and apparently I also bought some below the belly leggings, but I'm just gonna donate them because I can't stand feeling like they were falling down all the time.  Maybe it's just a body shape thing.
  • oheliza44oheliza44 member
    edited December 2016
    @theweevee I have to be in business casual at my office and wear suits when I am in Court. Ann Taylor and Loft both have maternity sections online. I will probably buy a few staple pieces that I can (hopefully) wear with my regular suit jackets.

Probably a dumb question but since I may order some clothes while the all the sales are going on I figured I'd ask. How do maternity clothes size and does it coordinate with your regular size? For example, I am a size 6 and a small-medium in most tops. Would it be safe to assume I can order maternity clothes in those corresponding sizes? I know every body and every pregnancy is different but any advice from STM would be appreciated.

Edit for typos. 
  • @oheliza44  Yes, the maternity clothes should correspond to regular sizing for that brand.  I'm sure there are some brands that are off, but for the most part, go with what you would normally order.
  • Thanks @chiquita928. Let the shopping begin!
  • What are the best maternity scrubs? I wear an x small, should I size up too?
  • edited December 2016
    @theweevee I wear suits to work (not necessarily coordinating but always wear a jacket or blazer with trousers, skirt, or pants).  The selection was awful last time - you would think professional women never had a need for such garments!  I switched to dresses for the most part (wrap dresses) - my blazers still fit since I wasn't trying to close them and I only needed professional attire through the 7 month mark (so before the whale stage).  A fancy scarf and voila you are good to go!  I'm not one to wear tight fitting clothes over my bump to work.  I also relaxed my dress code a little and started wearing sweaters with trousers and a flowy but slightly structured cardigan.  Dresses I got from pea in the pod and destination maternity.  I had some stretchy banana republic dresses that stretched to accommodate the bump up until the 5 month mark or so.  I got tops from Gap, Loft, BR.  Bottoms from destination maternity and pea in the pod.

I did did not like most of my maternity clothes until the summer when I could just wear maxi dresses all the time which I simply bought in a bigger size not actual maternity wear.

@oheliza44 for the most part your pre-pregnancy size is your maternity size but as with all things brands try them on or look at the actual measurement in the individual sizing charts.  I bought and returned probably 50 items last time.

Full versus half panel: I had a combination last time depending on the style of the pant I liked/wanted the panel just came along for the ride as there was never a choice in the specific item I was looking for.  I had the worlds itchiest bump so for full panel - I had a silk black tube that I wrapped over my belly first so I could support wearing the full panel. The full panel pants seemed to fit the rest of my body better for some weird reason.  Not sure there is a correlation there or just coincidental.

Edit: phone autocorrect
  • I loved my maternity jeans and dress pants from H&M. Full panel but all cotton. I was an xs in scrubs pre pregnancy but got size s maternity scrubs, all the tops were terrible, but the bottoms fit me till 32weeks with a twin pregnancy. 
  • @oheliza44 and @caribbeanmama thanks so much!  Ann Taylor and Loft!  I had no idea.  I'll have to check those out!
  • Stitch Fix has maternity now! I just signed up . . . not sure what I'll get. If you need dressy clothes for work, I'd try them for sure.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Kmomof3 said:
    Stitch Fix has maternity now! I just signed up . . . not sure what I'll get. If you need dressy clothes for work, I'd try them for sure.
    I am obsessed with Stitchfix. I cancelled my subscription in November because I thought it didn't make sense to buy clothes I won't be wearing much longer. I had no clue they carry maternity stuff! So exciting!
  • Omg I'm obsessed with stitch fix. Mostly because I have a really weird body (I'm 6 ft tall and my wingspan is like 6'3). I stopped it too though. This is quite bad if they do maternity. But I can't see myself spending the stitch fix prices for maternity clothes. I just buy cheap ON maternity clothes. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I love haute mama maternity jeans, and always order a small or an xs if I can find them. Always got full panel, hatechnically the muffin top look and I just fold them down like yoga pants. About 3 days ago I was sitting on the floor, when it occurred to me that I should unbutton my jeans, instant relief. I ordered haute mama jeans a few weeks ago so I'd prepared, and boy am I grateful. The thing about these pants is that they stretch in the denim area, and are nevery baggy, always flattering and never gather in the crotch region. Give me a try ladies, you'll be sad to see me go after you deliver, they are that awesome!
  • Just ordered my first maternity clothes! I got 2 sweaters and 1 t-shirt from old navy. I'm already a little overweight so I feel like this will help me hide my bloat better until I actually get a bump. I wear scrubs to work 5 days a week so I dont think I'll need a lot of maternity clothes. I also have 3 pair of leggings that I live in on my days off right now. 
    ME: 28 DH: 27
    Started Dating: 10/20/2006
     Married: 10/20/2013
    MMC @ 8w 12/15
    MC @ 5w 03/16
    ALEXANDER JAMES DUE JULY 15th!

• I tried on maternity clothes last night (10 weeks, 2 days) I don't have much of a bump yet, but my pelvis is bumping out, and actually my biggest problem is my breasts. They are so big now that they're pulling at my shirts, and making those obnoxious lines in between them. I had pretty large breasts to begin with, and a really small waist line, and now it's worse than ever. The small maternity shirts didn't fit my breasts now, but they were big in the arms, and well the stomach was supposed to be large, but I felt like it all didn't fit right and was never going to fit and I'm going to look like a giant walking whale. I'm kind of having a meltdown about it. Am I the only one with this problem? Is it just my hormones exacerbating all of this? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • I bought very little maternity clothes the first time (had some given to me, though). I bought a few pieces last time, and I picked up a few at ON online during Cyber Monday. But, what I did do the first time was buy a bunch of the roll-down skirts from ON and the "boyfriend" tanks that are longer. This time I also picked up some "tunic" tanks. Anything long enough to cover the bump worked for me my first pregnancy. And the timing is sort of close this time (OCT14, and I'll be at the end of July this time), so I'm hoping to just go with skirts and dresses from April on. I HATE pants. ALL pants. I did get some maternity leggings, though.
      ****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me: 35  DH: 38  |  Married: 6/2013  |  Pregnancy #1, APurp born 10/2014
    Pregnancy #2, BFP 6/4/2016, MMC at 9W, D&E: 7/21/16 | Pregnancy #3, BFP 11/22/16

Cravings Ticker 
  • Just got my Stitch Fix maternity box and it's a 5/5 win for me!  I'm so excited!  Highly recommend.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • @Xath I am going to reactivate my Stitchfix membership now. So excited about this!
  • My maternity clothes search has been a giant fail so far. I went to two different Kohls in my area and both didn't have any maternity clothes! I bought most of my maternity clothes from Kohls my last pregnancy, so I KNOW they have some, but every time I went I couldn't find the section, and when I asked for some assistance, the lady directed me to the plus size section and said "it's somewhere near there" and I still couldn't find it...

then today i drove to the closest ON to try and find some pants, and asked a lady to direct me to the maternity section and she said "oh we don't sell maternity at this location." Ugh!!! I'm hesistant to buy online because I like to try things on to make sure they look good. 
  • @supermom83 I ordered everything online from places with good return policies because I could hardly find anything in stores.
    TTC #1: 4/16
    BFP #1: 5/16
    MMC at 8 weeks: 6/16
    BFP #2: 10/16 
    Sweet baby boy arrived 7/7/17!
  • Xath said:
    Just got my Stitch Fix maternity box and it's a 5/5 win for me!  I'm so excited!  Highly recommend.  
    If you don't mind me asking, what's your piece point on this? I enjoy them all!!! My sister is stitch fix obsessed! 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    Xath said:
    Just got my Stitch Fix maternity box and it's a 5/5 win for me!  I'm so excited!  Highly recommend.  
    If you don't mind me asking, what's your piece point on this? I enjoy them all!!! My sister is stitch fix obsessed! 
    I stick to the "low end" of their offered price points. I think this box averaged $55 per piece, but I've told them I'm willing to pay more for items made in the USA, which 3 of these were.

It's so wierd for me because when I go out shopping I tend to stick to the clearance rack at Ross or Marshalls, so I really balked at the SF prices when I first started.  My H was the one who convinced me to go for it.  He told me to value what my time I spent miserably shopping was worth and consider that part of the price.  He also said he'd never seen me feel so good about myself in clothes and that, to him, should make it worth it to spend the extra $$.  And he was right.  I have more time to spend with my kids; I enjoy what I wear more, and I felt good about myself even when my body was at its worst. 

I stopped SF once I'd built up a decent wardrobe, but I decided to treat myself to 1-2 maternity fixes.  
  • @Xath that was almost identical to my experience. I freaked out at the prices and DH was like..."you have NO clothes, if you get a few pieces that are high quality then why is it an issue?" I've kept about one item from every box. There were a few that I wanted to keep more from but I didn't LOVE it or felt I could justify the prices for the extra items. Especially tops, I think $50-60 for a top is insane. Sweaters, jackets and pants I think that's a more reasonable price. 

I can't do the maternity stitch fix...I think it would be too dangerous for me. And I just spent like $200 on basically a whole maternity wardrobe on Black Friday at ON. 
  • I love my GAP maternity jeans. My ON ones were way too long in the crotch which is super annoying. I usually just get shirts in a size bigger and wear longer tank tops under them. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017